Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use savings to pay loan

• 07-10-2017 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,
    Long post coming up

Looking for a bit of financial advice please. I am not too sure if this is the correct forum to post in or not so mods might move to a better location if they want.

35 years old, living at home and have come to the conclusion that i don’t think i will ever be in a position to build/own my own home

Was living away but lost my job in the downturn, unemployed for year and a half and started a job six years ago on 3 day week for about 2 years. In full time employment for the last 4 years but current job pays less than what i was earning 8 years ago.

Would find it difficult to move away again as parents are getting older and may need to be around more often. Realistically if i changed jobs i would have an extra 75min commute each way per day but probably earn a better wage

Current situation is as follows

Savings 24k had 20k saved about 6 years ago – saved nothing for 5 years and have saved 4k in the last year.

Loan 32k in credit union over 5 years paying 150 per week (100 capital and 50 interest approx)

Earning €500 per week nett

Major expenses per week , loan, rent, food, broadband, phone, car. I find i am more of a less living from Friday to Friday on my wage.

Debating the following otions re loan

1) Continue as is and have paid in 5 years

2) Reduce savings to 10k and pay 14k lump sum off loan, continue paying 150per week and clear loan in 3 years

3) Reduce savings to 10k and pay 14k lump sum off loan, restructure loan to 100 per week and pay off over 5 years

4) ???

Would be very grateful for any imput

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Hi all,
    Long post coming up

Looking for a bit of financial advice please. I am not too sure if this is the correct forum to post in or not so mods might move to a better location if they want.

35 years old, living at home and have come to the conclusion that i don’t think i will ever be in a position to build/own my own home

Was living away but lost my job in the downturn, unemployed for year and a half and started a job six years ago on 3 day week for about 2 years. In full time employment for the last 4 years but current job pays less than what i was earning 8 years ago.

Would find it difficult to move away again as parents are getting older and may need to be around more often. Realistically if i changed jobs i would have an extra 75min commute each way per day but probably earn a better wage

Current situation is as follows

Savings 24k had 20k saved about 6 years ago – saved nothing for 5 years and have saved 4k in the last year.

Loan 32k in credit union over 5 years paying 150 per week (100 capital and 50 interest approx)

Earning €500 per week nett

Major expenses per week , loan, rent, food, broadband, phone, car. I find i am more of a less living from Friday to Friday on my wage.

Debating the following otions re loan

1) Continue as is and have paid in 5 years

2) Reduce savings to 10k and pay 14k lump sum off loan, continue paying 150per week and clear loan in 3 years

3) Reduce savings to 10k and pay 14k lump sum off loan, restructure loan to 100 per week and pay off over 5 years

4) ???

Would be very grateful for any imput

keep your savings is my advice.Take on a second job until you have made a big dent in the loan.

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

+1 for keeping your savings. If you used them to back back the loan, and then diverted the 150/pw loan payment back into savings instead, it'd take about 3 years to get back to savings of 24k. If a second job to help pay down the load is an option, do that

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭goob20s

Keep 5000, pay down 19000 off the loan and pay the rest off aggressively

Advertisement