Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Che Guevara features on new €1 stamp issued by An Post

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So Marxism can't survive without capitalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Ipso wrote: »
    What economic warfare? Shouldn't glorious Marxism have been able to withstand some sanctions?

Not just economic warfare but terrorism and assassination attempts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Btw are these sold out now or can you pick them up on O Connell st?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Ipso wrote: »
    So Marxism can't survive without capitalism.

There is no such thing as pure Capitalism - what we have is corporatism which is underpinned by the state and the services it provides.

If you take two of the most successful 'Capitalist' countries ever, Britain and the US, it's no coincidence they were enormous imperial powers with massive navies/armies both benefiting enormously from stuff like the slave trade and 'free' trade.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Which reported in 2012 that some 37 million Americans were using food banks. Your largely unregulated capitalist paradise which you seem so proud of isn't exactly doing a great job either in looking after alot of its citizens......

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/09/giving/food-banks-mission-expands-to-nutrition-and-education.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Next week's stamp...the centenary of the apparitions of fatima. She was a divil for the auld anti Communism. Something for everyone.

Beep beep boop bop.. This is great i can say what i like and it gets ignored in this thread

Yeeerrk yeaar, meep

Allinall wrote: »
    I thought they delivered letters and parcels.

Yes but they're also surreptitiously indoctrinating us. Watch out for children sharing their sweets with each other - they've been indoctrinated and are little commie dwarf spies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

mrcheez wrote: »
    Beep beep boop bop.. This is great i can say what i like and it gets ignored in this thread

Yeeerrk yeaar, meep

I'm only starting on this stamp thing, curse you Che!
    Not sure about the folder question, but I would guess you'll be able to buy the first day cover in a bricks and mortar post office.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yeeerrk yeaar, meep

I don't know which side of the fence you're on but that made me laugh. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I was pleading with the missus to post our Christmas card to her sister and former Marine, gun toting Trump supporter husband in Tennessee but alas I was out voted 1 vote to 1

Get your balls out of her purse then and just do it.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Get your balls out of her purse then and just do it.

I would, but she wears them as ear rings now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I would, but she wears them as ear rings now.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Someone mentioned his inner capitalist ...
    Well, so do I, I mean the inner capitalist.:D

Imagine these stamps will be withdrawn because all the right wingers/ignorants/humourless/whatever cried MURDERER.

All of us who own a full set of stamps and the rather lovely FDCs can now rub their hands and wait until the price on ebay or stamp collector sites skyrockets.

We'll make a fortune!
    Now there's capitalism. Thank you ya Che-critics. Beat you with your own weapons. :cool:

But being true to Che I would invest that money into fair trade chocolate from Nicaragua*. Win win.

*The Ritter Sport chocolates are actually mainly made of cocoa beans from small farmers in Nicaragua. And the workers at the factory have shares in the company. But this is another story.
    The Ritter coconut chocolate is devine, by the way... :o

Carry wrote: »

Imagine these stamps will be withdrawn because all the right wingers/ignorants/humourless/whatever cried MURDERER.

All of us who own a full set of stamps and the rather lovely FDCs can now rub their hands and wait until the price on ebay or stamp collector sites skyrockets.

We'll make a fortune!
    Now there's capitalism. Thank you ya Che-critics. Beat you with your own weapons. :cool:

But being true to Che I would invest that money into fair trade chocolate from Nicaragua*. Win win.

*The Ritter Sport chocolates are actually mainly made of cocoa beans from small farmers in Nicaragua. And the workers at the factory have shares in the company. But this is another story.

I'd buy Colombian Cocaine so not quite as righteous! (obviously I'm hoping for a bigger return on my investment)

Ok, fine. I tried to be cool, and drugs most definitively are cool, but I'd buy Ovaltine, or at a push, Horlicks.

I'd buy Colombian Cocaine so not quite as righteous! (obviously I'm hoping for a bigger return on my investment)

Ok, fine. I tried to be cool, and drugs most definitively are cool, but I'd buy Ovaltine, or at a push, Horlicks.

Colombian is fine, don't worry. I'm very fond of the Colombian coffee from Aldi myself ... much smoother than the Kenian :D.

Hope, nobody is offended now because I prefer Colombian over Kenian.

And I do mean coffee (plus chocolate).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

They certainly don't permabear ...they certainly don't....now with weather stormfront.

Permabear, now I'm really very disappointed. You read Breitbart????

If Breitbart was a boxer it would still be in the under eight-year-olds' division getting the head beaten off it by 5 year-year-olds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Carry wrote: »

We'll make a fortune!

Chocky ar lá

You see, not everything that pops up with google is worth mentioning. It's better to sit on the sofa and have a deep think.

And your reading history doesn't mean anything. It's the understanding what you read that matters.

Chocky ar lá

indeed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

That's correct. I think Cuba is somewhat scapegoated though. The US enforces a trade embargo on it, while upholding terrible regimes elsewhere in Latin America. I'm not just talking about the 80s either, they were upholding Pastrana and Uribe in Colombia, while trade unionists were massacred and millions of peasants displaced. All while the left in other countries shamefully turned a blind eye I might add.

The Cuban regime is terrible though and too many people are quick to defend it.

• Advertisement

father-dougal.gif

And despite this, food insecurity in American households, especially the category of very low food insecurity remains above pre-recession levels (before 2008). So it isn't enough it seems.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/amber-waves/2017/september/understanding-the-prevalence-severity-and-distribution-of-food-insecurity-in-the-united-states/

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I don't know which side of the fence you're on but that made me laugh. :D

I'm not on any side of the fence, but I think the stamps are great looking collectors items but I want to know:

A) can you still pick these up by walking into GPO?

B) what number of stamps neatly fits into the envelope.

I'm guessing 16 stamps is the best number for a symmetrical presentation

I'm not on any side of the fence, but I think the stamps are great looking collectors items but I want to know:

A) can you still pick these up by walking into GPO?

B) what number of stamps neatly fits into the envelope.

I'm guessing 16 stamps is the best number for a symmetrical presentation

I got mine in my local post office, what envelope are you on about? Or folder that you mentioned last time, what folder is that?

I got mine in my local post office, what envelope are you on about? Or folder that you mentioned last time, what folder is that?

Saw it came in some sort of holding presentation envelope?

Don't all stamps come in some sort of a5 card envelope, as opposed to a roll?

Saw it came in some sort of holding presentation envelope?

Don't all stamps come in some sort of a5 card envelope, as opposed to a roll?

Ah, I see, I think. The Che stamps come in 4 x 4 sheet.

The sheet of 4x4 will comfortably fit in the first day cover envelope if that's what you mean.

• Advertisement

Ah, I see, I think. The Che stamps come in 4 x 4 sheet.

The sheet of 4x4 will comfortably fit in the first day cover envelope if that's what you mean.

So i was in the GPO today and the first day envelopes are out of stock but more due in later (for first 28 days...should really be called first month envelopes)

The envelope is only about the size of 8 stamps...maybe 12 at a push, so i'll go for either of those two options. I know in theory you could get 100 in there but i don't want them folded over, just a perfect fit for the presentation factor.

I thought they would have been in a card like the one4all cards are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I bought 5x 1st day issue stamped envelopes in the GPO this afternoon, big queue for them at counter 19.

€2 an envelope, might be worth a few bob down the road:D

Long live Che :D I didnt know he visited Kilkee cliffs in 1961 when his airplane was fog bound at Shannon airport

So i was in the GPO today and the first day envelopes are out of stock but more due in later (for first 28 days...should really be called first month envelopes)

The envelope is only about the size of 8 stamps...maybe 12 at a push, so i'll go for either of those two options. I know in theory you could get 100 in there but i don't want them folded over, just a perfect fit for the presentation factor.

I thought they would have been in a card like the one4all cards are.

I was in there at 2pm and bought 5, I asked the counter assistant were they selling fast, he said big interest, I must have been lucky so

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Wow, this really bothers you, doesn’t it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

You've made that point about 3 or 4 times now, stop spamming.

As someone said upthread, isn’t this decision by An Post likely to be as much down to being an iconic work by an IRISH artist as anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

_Dara_ wrote: »
    As someone said upthread, isn’t this decision by An Post likely to be as much down to being an iconic work by an IRISH artist as anything else?

It's not just a watercolour of the countryside though, it's a very obviously political work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Claude Wilton

_Dara_ wrote: »

If Che was still alive he'd be on the Late Late Show with Tubs fawning over him.

"Ah Che, sure you were only messing when you spoke of the Pedagogy of the Wall, shure aren't you the fierce crack altogether. Isn't great you're one of us. What county association do you belong to in Havana?"

It's not just a watercolour of the countryside though, it's a very obviously political work.

Yes obviously. That doesn’t take from it being iconic Irish artwork. Only anyone not interested in art would think that only watercolours are eligible for use on stamps. Stamps are many and varied. So is art. Art is never just about looking pretty. Good art. Even an iconic bucolic artwork like ‘The Haywain’ was about SO much more than just depicting a rural idyll.

It was and i did, what I spend my money on is my business.

Thanks though for the unsolicited comments :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Shelga

Can’t we just agree that both Cuba and America have a hell of a lot wrong with them? Anyone who says they’d rather live in Cuba is lying though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement