Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweet Mother of Baby Jesus my Arse!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

fryup wrote: »
    hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread OP,

i tend to an itchy Perineal after a long cycle...i wear a padded shorts no undies

i've been to the doctor, given cream betnovate RD..but the itch keeps returning:o

Ask GP if you have a fungal or sweat induced infection.
    You will have to bare all :eek:
    I soak all my shorts monthly in Milton.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Cycle 5km each way to work and don't wear shorts.....
    Careful now, you could get arrested for that! :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Careful now, you could get arrested for that! :pac:

NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XTEIl-gtSA

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I’ve extensive experience with sore arse from the bike. Discomfort, saddle sores and some numbness.

Ok, so my experience may be at the extreme end but advice from other posters about padded shorts and bike fit is well worth heeding.

Most of all, ensure that your saddle is the correct width so that you are putting the majority of your weight on your sit bones rather than on your perinium. The latter will result in pain and sores.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

OP, you've had a lot of good suggestions so I'll not chime in with much else that's new safe to reitterate that you maybe look at your bike 'fit'. You may think you feel comfortable on it, but you may also be making things harder for yourself (e.g. saddle too low so your upper legs are really having to work more than they should, etce.).

For good quality padded shiz, to add to what everyone else has already suggested, I use a pair of Endura Humvee shorts, which whilst baggy (meant for MTB fun but I use them for everything from commuting to shredding), they have an inner removable liner that is padded and can be moved between shorts/trousers/etc. The liner is really good as the padding is excellent, it [the liner] is very breathable, and also has grippers at the bottom of the trunks to stop chaffing or riding up your legs as you cycle. Might be worth havring a pokey at the Endura range in that regard. If you're wanting to go all roadie on the clothing dept. then I can't really comment.

Edit: as crosstownk has also alluded to, saddle "fit", which is very easy to do using a piece of cardboard (needs to be the thicker sort, not the cereal packaging stuff), your arse-imprint, a tape measure, and consultation with the varying saddle manufacturers 'size/type' charts. They're not always correct and/or your rear end may find something else that just "works" for you comfort-wise, but they're usually close on the money. Still, it's all just a guide to steer you towards the saddles most likely to suit you and not be uncomfortable or to generate discomfort over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I soak all my shorts monthly in Milton.

Try Dettol rather than Milton. Milton is a bleach and will fade your gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Wore the padded shorts today. Huge improvement!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm in the same boat OP, this is week 2 of my commute (3 times a week). Only bought the padded shorts for the last cycle of last week but I've noticed a big difference already. I still think the saddle might need tweaking but I'll give it a couple of more weeks to see if the soreness subsides further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I bought shorts but found that they were hurting on my crotch, it seemed that I wasn't pulling them up high enough.

I need to get some more but like the look of the undershorts linked in this thread.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement