Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair 'e-Receipts'

Options
  • 07-10-2017 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi,

Let me start with a general statement given the company in the subject. I fly a lot for work, and frequently with Ryanair. I don't have any gripe with their services - usually!

My question/concern is in relation to their policy of only issuing electronic receipts for purchases on-board. (For anyone unfamiliar with the system: When you make a purchase in-flight, they link the purchase to the seat number and you can retrieve an electronic receipt for the purchase a few hours after the flight from a dedicated website)
    90% of the time the receipt shows the correct information. However, as I'm travelling for business, I need to receipt meal/incidental claims and I need the information to be correct. Recently I queried their live chat to have a correct receipt issued for my in-flight purchase, where the receipt provided by the website system was not for my purchase. The chat (bot!?!) operator was unable to understand my issue and directed me to raise a complaint, which I did.

I received a reply to my complaint expressing regret that I was unhappy with their performance on this occasion and that they would endeavour to improve in future. No reference was made to the actual topic of my complaint - a correct receipt!! As I'm unable to 'reply' to a complaint, I had to open a new (3rd!) complaint to ask for a receipt to be provided for my purchase. Again, I got a response directing me to the receipt retrieval system, where my actual issue was ignored.

You can imagine I was not pleased with the performance, and opened a fourth complaint. I again asked for the correct receipt for my purchase to be provided. I haven't received any response for this complaint. Ryanair don't provide any details of how to get in touch for complaints by phone, so I'm left with 2 options: waiting (perhaps forever) or opening a 5th complaint!

Frankly, this is a crazy situation. The value of the receipt is not even the point anymore. I'm now thinking perhaps I tackle this in a different way. There must be some consumer legislation (or indeed tax laws) that obliges companies to provide correct receipts for purchases. What organisation should I contact to determine what my rights are for receipts for purchases? (Sorry for the long post!)

/T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Cannot help you but that sounds like a shitty way to run things. If the purchase attracts VAT, I am pretty sure they have to issue a VAT receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

There is no legal requirement to provide a receipt but if asked they should be able to provide one.
    There is obviously an error made and your transaction is not recorded or recorded incorrectly, do you want them to just take your word for it and print you a receipt that can't be verified by Ryanair?

It's very simple, the staff made a mistake, it happens.
    If it happened more than once, OK maybe persue it but why are you even bothering?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,023 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cannot help you but that sounds like a shitty way to run things. If the purchase attracts VAT, I am pretty sure they have to issue a VAT receipt

There is no VAT on air fares.

Provision of someone elses receipt is a severe data protection issue and the DPC should be interested

L1011 wrote: »
    There is no VAT on air fares.

Provision of someone elses receipt is a severe data protection issue and the DPC should be interested

It is not air fares, it is purchases during the flight on the aircraft

Snotty wrote: »
    There is no legal requirement to provide a receipt but if asked they should be able to provide one.
    There is obviously an error made and your transaction is not recorded or recorded incorrectly, do you want them to just take your word for it and print you a receipt that can't be verified by Ryanair?

It's very simple, the staff made a mistake, it happens.
    If it happened more than once, OK maybe persue it but why are you even bothering?

I think the OP would like a receipt at the moment a purchase is made, not some time later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

I think the OP would like a receipt at the moment a purchase is made, not some time later

Ah OK, that's never going to happen, they have met their legal requirements and although an error could be made, the same error could be made with a physical receipt on the plane if the customer doesn't look at it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I've (recently) asked for a printed receipt on a Ryanair flight and got it once the crew were finished serving.

Advertisement