Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord charges €1 per 15 mins on Washer & Dryer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Sounds like a landlord in Bray a student reported to UCD accomadation.

It's a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Mr.S wrote: »
    True, got that wrong - amazed that's legal. Charging for use of a washing machine or dryer is insane. Why bother including bills in the rent then, if cost is an issue?

OP just buy your own washing machine out of spite ;)

Including bills in the rent is usually a trap to compensate for poor location, if a tenant sees a place for reasonable rent and were told to put in €2 coin to wash/dry their clothes they usually may jump with it. Putting one wash on once a week equates to an additional €70 approx. per month onto their actual rent. A vunerable tenant has fallen into this trap by not asking the right question: How much is it to wash and dry the clothes in one cycle. I would be interesting to know what rent are they paying, location and the type of room too.

__..__ wrote: »
    I just put on a wash this morning with the whole weeks washing in it and timed it after reading this thread.
    The washing machine was finished in 25 mins including spin.
    I'll time the dryer but I don't think I ever put a dryer on for more than 30 minutes ever in the past.

4 hours for a wash. That's just crazy.

I used to live in an apartment where the washing machine was in a shed outside. It was impossible to use it because Everytime you went down it was being used. A few people seemed to just out on washed non stop. The landlord put in a meter and charged €2 a wash and hey presto, you could finally use the washing machine because it wasn't used every hour of the day.

It's people selecting hot washes and really long cycles that takes so long, it was very annoying when house mates used to do this for every wash. I wash every thing at 30 degrees and do a rinse and spin after overall takes about 30 mins or so. Nothing worse than people using really long cycles and pushing up the esb bill.
    I'd rather sleep on the street than rent a room with the likes of you. Your attitude is absolutely disgusting.

My attitude is exactly the same as any owner occupier would have. Their house and their rules simple as that. Look at any thread here relating to rent a room and you will see that's how it should and does work.

I already said I think it's over the top charging so much for washing but the options are pay it, bring stuff to a laundrette, bring your washing home at the weekend or move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Given this is a rent a room scenario...

If the landlord owner is charging a rent that's equivalent to the max allowed to still avail of tax relief, any money collected from the washer / drier would put them over the threshold and make them liable for tax on the rental income in its entirety...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Given this is a rent a room scenario...

If the landlord owner is charging a rent that's equivalent to the max allowed to still avail of tax relief, any money collected from the washer / drier would put them over the threshold and make them liable for tax on the rental income in its entirety...

True but rent a room relief works out at around €1160 per month so if only one room is being rented out, I doubt they’d be anywhere near the threshold, especially as lodger rents tend to be lower.

• Advertisement

_Dara_ wrote: »
    True but rent a room relief works out at around €1160 per month so if only one room is being rented out, I doubt they’d be anywhere near the threshold, especially as lodger rents tend to be lower.

A coin operated washing machine doesn't really tally with only renting out a single room, I'd be surprised if there are less than 3 lodgers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Since when does it take 4 hours to wash/dry clothes.
    About an hour to was and hour to dry. €8 maybe €10 at most.

Some of the cycles on my washing machine take more than 4 hours. The dryer can take a couple of hours on a large load too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

OP, €1 per 15 minutes is a little on the steep side. Take your laundry elsewhere if it's possible.

We have a really poor outlook on property & rentals in Ireland. If only we could adopt some of the standards and practices from our European neighbors.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    I'm sorry what? They charge you for using your washing machine? Even if they cover the electricity costs, they can't do that.

Who say's they can't do that? It looks like a lot of people are agreeing with your false information.
    Also if I was renting a room and you tired to install a washing machine in my house you would be given about 5 mins to clear out your room and get out.

Why? What's so terrible about your tenant installing a washing machine? Seems like a bit of an over reaction. You are obliged to give sufficient time to your "guest". Thinking you can do whatever you want and get away with it, is not entirely correct.
    You do realise an owner occupier renting out a room is doing a favour for the person renting the room.

Nonsensical rubbish. There's no such thing as a favor in this situation.
    This post has been deleted.

Based on your single piece of anecdotal evidence, they are all stingy odd balls? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

wonski wrote:
    Who charges washing clothes per minute???

Only Irish Landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

My 40 deg wash cycle takes one hour (granted, my machine is about 15 years old at this stage) with the option of a 45min 'fast wash'.

My 60 deg wash cycle, which I only use for sheets etc, takes two hours.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but can clothes really be clean after a 25 minute wash, especially if actually stained/dirty? What about underwear?....Can a modern machine cycle really properly wash clothes in half the time of an older machine? Genuine query.

With regards to the OP's query - maybe I missed it on thread, but is that even legal?? It seems like a genuinely extortionate amount of money. There is NO WAY a washer or drier uses that amount of electricity during a cycle. Yer man is pulling a swifty imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    My 40 deg wash cycle takes one hour (granted, my machine is about 15 years old at this stage) with the option of a 45min 'fast wash'.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but can clothes really be clean after a 25 minute wash, especially if actually stained/dirty? What about underwear?....Can a modern machine cycle really properly wash clothes in half the time of an older machine? Genuine query.

With regards to the OP's query - maybe I missed it on thread, but is that even legal?? It seems like a genuinely extortionate amount of money. There is NO WAY a washer or drier uses that amount of electricity during a cycle. Yer man is pulling a swifty imo.

Less time and less water too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Markcheese

RogerRabid wrote:
    This would indeed be a good solution - and I'd be within my rights surely. But it's owner occupied by couple and they'd get very bothered if they saw me bringing a Zanussi up the stairs. But wouldn't it be great! lol.

Laundrette so... The cheeky b'stards

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Warning -
    Keep the comments constructive. Any more smart comments will result in cards/bans.

DoozerT6 wrote: »

I wash everything on the 30 degree quick wash which takes 15 mins on the newer machine at home and about 20 mins where I'm renting. Followed by a rinse and spin so overall takes about 30 mins to do a wash. I see no need for the hot washes, waste of electricity and only damage what your washing.

I wash everything on the 30 degree quick wash which takes 15 mins on the newer machine at home and about 20 mins where I'm renting. Followed by a rinse and spin so overall takes about 30 mins to do a wash. I see no need for the hot washes, waste of electricity and only damage what your washing.

Nox on several posts on here you said you give washing to your mother to wash. You previously said you weren't sure which cycle to use. It's hard to take you seriously if you change your story.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Nox on several posts on here you said you give washing to your mother to wash. You previously said you weren't sure which cycle to use. It's hard to take you seriously if you change your story.

I do give her washing if I'm home but she also uses the 30 degree wash for everything. I never said I wasn't able to operate the machine though you are mistaken there, I do washes myself also.

I do give her washing if I'm home but she also uses the 30 degree wash for everything. I never said I wasn't able to operate the machine though you are mistaken there, I do washes myself also.

Hmm. I don't find that credible or in line with your previous posts.

OP was the flat advertised as owner occupied and is the LL registered as such?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I don't know where you put your washing machine so that it would require drilling, but most people put them where there is already a water supply and waste. Very easy to get slip over tap fittings to supply the water and have the outlet drain to the sink. It wouldn't take much DIY knowledge to plumb it in properly with a Y or vampire fitting under the sink and to connect the waste to the sink outlet as well. I've done it myself in a rental for a dishwasher.

€100 would get you one that's in reasonable nick for a rental.

Washing machines need a power supply, a water supply and a waste outlet. The op would have to have a sink in his bedroom to source incoming water. He would have to modify the drainage for the sink. He will also be causing leaks on the floor of his room.
    If there is no sink drilling will be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

colm_mcm wrote:
    Doesn't take 2 hours though.

If it takes 1 hour, it will work out the same cost as the OP has to pay at home.

Still unbelievable..

Your machine may have a fast wash setting but I'd hazard a guess it's designed for a partial load. We've an 8kg rated machine but according to the manual, the 30 minute fast wash should only be used for loads up to 2kg and that's pretty typical.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You wash towels, bed linen, underwear and sports gear at 30 degrees?

Gross.

Higher temperatures and longer cycles exist on a washing machine for a reason. A quick wash is great for the slightly dirty t-shirts but if that is all you ever use to wash your shirts you wear all day etc then eventually they're just going to smell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Some of the cycles on my washing machine take more than 4 hours. The dryer can take a couple of hours on a large load too.

+1
    The usual cycle I use on my washing machine- a Samsung 'Eco Bubble' cycle- is 3 hours 42 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

€16 to wash your clothes is nothing short of extortion.
    If I were you, and if you had room I'd buy a washer dryer. A decent one can be picked up for €100 or less on adverts.

And how exactly do you intend to use it. A plumber need to install it and I highly doubt he will allow it if he already has one installed

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

mel.b wrote: »
    Does the owner have a seperate washing machine & dryer for himself or does he need to pay as well?

I’d imagine he might have some complicated method whereby he can access the cash box....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Ew. Your housemates doing longer washes are doing it right. I’d hate to have a housemate looking over my shoulder, huffing about the washing cycle I choose. Talk about stinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Ew. Your housemates doing longer washes are doing it right. I’d hate to have a housemate looking over my shoulder, huffing about the washing cycle I choose. Talk about stinge.

I had a housemate bitching about the wattage of a lightbulb in the livingroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Hmm. I don't find that credible or in line with your previous posts.

The new ntlhell, who was a single, married, widow/er with special needs children living in an aparthouse in the middle of nowhere in a city centre (and that was just this forum :))

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Why? What's so terrible about your tenant installing a washing machine? Seems like a bit of an over reaction. You are obliged to give sufficient time to your "guest". Thinking you can do whatever you want and get away with it, is not entirely correct.
    Since they're renting only the room; where will they be installing the washing machine?

awec wrote: »
    You wash towels, bed linen, underwear and sports gear at 30 degrees?

Gross.

Higher temperatures and longer cycles exist on a washing machine for a reason. A quick wash is great for the slightly dirty t-shirts but if that is all you ever use to wash your shirts you wear all day etc then eventually they're just going to smell.

I was everything at 30, pile everything in togeather, towels bed clothes, shirts, underwear the lot. It's how washing was always done at home by my parents, never did I see a wash above 40 degrees going on (and that was because older machines we had didn't have a 30 degree wash).

All my clothes including shirts, t-shirts, trousers etc instruct that you wash them at 30 degrees so you are most likely destroying your clothes washing them hotter and it's totally pointless stuff comes out absolutely perfect on a 30 degree wash so I can clearly see hotter washes aren't necessary. The 15 minute fast wash followed by a rinse and spin is such an efficient way to wash clothes from both an energy usage and use of your time perspective.

• Advertisement

I was everything at 30, pile everything in togeather, towels bed clothes, shirts, underwear the lot. It's how washing was always done at home by my parents, never did I see a wash above 40 degrees going on (and that was because older machines we had didn't have a 30 degree wash).

All my clothes including shirts, t-shirts, trousers etc instruct that you wash them at 30 degrees so you are most likely destroying your clothes washing them hotter and it's totally pointless stuff comes out absolutely perfect on a 30 degree wash so I can clearly see hotter washes aren't necessary.

Try dissolving fats at 30 degrees Nox.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement