Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord charges €1 per 15 mins on Washer & Dryer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Tosh.

A 30 degree wash will remove all but the heaviest of soiling. They will not smell and a rinse after removes any detergent.

It mightnt kill all the dreaded terrufying bacteria but most people don't go around the place in constant fear of germs.

Some people here would be better investing in sterilized cocoon like the bubble boy if they're so terrified of germs.

It's not about the epidemiological effects of bacteria, it's to do with the smell caused by bacteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Back off man, I'm a scientist to quote a hero of mine. Bacteria don't die at thirty degrees. In other words they don't die at room temperature. You sound very young judging by the mother comments, however it may be a good idea to learn how to wash properly yourself before you comment on how other people wash, live and how they aspire to live their lives.

Well, in fairness, bacteria and detergent aren’t mates at any temperature but a in a quick, full, cool wash, I can’t see the detergenty water infiltrating thoroughly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

awec wrote: »
    Higher temperatures and longer cycles exist on a washing machine for a reason. A quick wash is great for the slightly dirty t-shirts but if that is all you ever use to wash your shirts you wear all day etc then eventually they're just going to smell.

It's not gross at all. Higher temperatures are not for killing germs in your bed linen. Powder, which was commonly used, does not dissolve well at lower temperatures. With liquid, higher temperatures are not needed.
    the_syco wrote: »
    Since they're renting only the room; where will they be installing the washing machine?

The poster who said that didn't mention it was rent a room.
    I could show you pictures of units in 4 EU countries that I or a sibling have rented and I could show you a picture of the coin operated unit my eldest sister tore out of her house in Joburg when she bought it. Its cheap penny pinching and brings an entirely new meaning to the word 'meanness'- however, its far from just being an Irish phenomenon.

You see it as penny pinching, I see it as an alternative to purchasing a 500 euro machine. My house has a coin machine and dryer. It's 1 euro per cycle per machine. It's a service and a great one at that.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Well, in fairness, bacteria and detergent aren’t mates at any temperature but a in a quick, full, cool wash, I can’t see the detergenty water infiltrating thoroughly.

Actually there's less detergent because some powders contain thermophillic enzymes that degrade fats.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Also if I was renting a room and you tired to install a washing machine in my house you would be given about 5 mins to clear out your room and get out.
    Why? What's so terrible about your tenant installing a washing machine? Seems like a bit of an over reaction. You are obliged to give sufficient time to your "guest". Thinking you can do whatever you want and get away with it, is not entirely correct.
    Since they're renting only the room; where will they be installing the washing machine?
    The poster who said that didn't mention it was rent a room.
    If they were renting a room, where would the tenant put the washing machine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

If they were renting a room, where would the tenant put the washing machine?

Could be a grand big self contained room ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Actually there's less detergent because some powders contain thermophillic enzymes that degrade fats.

Yeesh. Unless you're rolling around with sticks of butter, there is really no need whatsoever to boil your clothes with thermophyllic enzyme eco bubble blah blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Op - if the drying is the most expensive part, buy a clothes-horse for €10(?)

Better for the environment, too :)

+1

2 fan heaters in your room (you have free electricity there :) ) along with a clothes horse will sort out more than half the cost of using the expensive meter.
    Normally, this would be unfair on the landlord who is paying for the electricity, but in this instance, some may see it as justified.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Yeesh. Unless you're rolling around with sticks of butter, there is really no need whatsoever to boil your clothes with thermophyllic enzyme eco bubble blah blah blah.

That's the standard CC. Water boils at 40 degrees now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I could show you pictures of units in 4 EU countries that I or a sibling have rented and I could show you a picture of the coin operated unit my eldest sister tore out of her house in Joburg when she bought it. Its cheap penny pinching and brings an entirely new meaning to the word 'meanness'- however, its far from just being an Irish phenomenon.

I originally asked who counts it per minute.

Price per minute seems silly to me tbh.

Price per wash sounds fine as long as it is reasonable.

In owner / lodger scenario I would found the whole set up strange though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Some of the cycles on my washing machine take more than 4 hours. The dryer can take a couple of hours on a large load too.

You really need to review if your wash justifies 4 hours. I can do a wash in 60-90 minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

This thread is hilarious. It turned into an argument about what temperature to wash your clothes at. That's one of the best derailments I've ever seen. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

I find that very hard to believe since the most recent (high end) machine we got has the shortest cycle I've seen on a machine to date (15 mins).

Good to know though as if such machines exist they are to be avoided and it highlights the need to ensure a machine has a very short cycle when buying.

I don't think you got the point. :D:D

OP does not care about how others wash their clothes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

We only get charged to use the dryer and I reckon €1 lasts well over an hour, we normally put €2 in for two loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Car crash of a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

Bring your washing down to the laundrette.
    Spend 2 hours in the electric shower every day.

• Advertisement

Bring your washing down to the laundrette. Spend 2 hours in the electric shower every day.

Or do the washing in the shower!

Its a 30 degree wash cycle, the only one I use on the machine.

Its a 30 degree wash cycle, the only one I use on the machine.

I admire your ability to kling on to this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

If the bills are included in the rent surely this is misleading advertising?

Op should ask for receipts for the machines for his tax returns!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note: folks as fascinating as it is to learn your approach to clean jocks n socks, it's not helping the OP.

Back on topic please.

...__... wrote: »
    Op should ask for receipts for the machines for his tax returns!!

What grounds would he have for reclaiming tax?

What grounds would he have for reclaiming tax?

Probably none, but it might make the landlord wonder what he is going to do with said receipts. Rent a room has a tax free limit I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

RogerRabid wrote: »
    The electricity is included in the rent, but we were told initially that it cost 3 euro to use the machines. This was expensive anyway, but it turns out to cost more than that.

That's definitely not right, especially as you're paying for electricity. I wouldn't use it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I find that very hard to believe since the most recent (high end) machine we got has the shortest cycle I've seen on a machine to date (15 mins).

Good to know though as if such machines exist they are to be avoided and it highlights the need to ensure a machine has a very short cycle when buying.

FYI- this is the 40 degree cycle on a new Samsung 8kg Ecobubble machine.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement