Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo/sexual misconduct scandals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cause Peter Jackson was no doubt aware of that and actively helping cover it up.

The worst thing to happen with the recent outrage in Hollywood is the manner in which people are attacking other people for not being aware of it. Do you think that people were confiding in Jackson about what Knowles was doing?

Jackson must've known 100% yeah.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Nal wrote: »

Can we take any further discussion of this to the Weinstein thread please, folks. It can be discussed, just not in this thread, thanks.

Edit: Scratch that, I just moved the posts from the SW thread instead.

Can we take any further discussion of this to the Weinstein thread please, folks. It can be discussed, just not in this thread, thanks.

Should people really be allowed to accuse anyone of knowing about this kind of thing based on the fact that they read some forums boards?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Should people really be allowed to accuse anyone of knowing about this kind of thing based on the fact that they read some forums boards?

Alright, I moved the posts instead.

Do you mean you just want the right to respond to them or do think they should be modded as well?

Alright, I moved the posts instead.

Do you mean you just want the right to respond to them or do think they should be modded as well?

More a case of, has it really got to the point and is it acceptable that people can now accuse a director of knowing and then concealing information about sexual assaults based on the fact that he read some forum boards?

• Advertisement

More a case of, has it really got to the point and is it acceptable that people can now accuse a director of knowing and then concealing information about sexual assaults based on the fact that he read some forum boards?

Personally speaking, I totally agree with you. It's absurd to taint someone by association. It's McCarthyism all over again. But unfortunately yes it does seem to be getting to that point.

Loads of rumors that a story about James Franco is coming out and Ally Sheedy tweeted and then deleted "Ok wait. Bye. Christian Slater and James Franco at a table on @goldenglobes #MeToo" last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Loads of rumors that a story about James Franco is coming out and Ally Sheedy tweeted and then deleted "Ok wait. Bye. Christian Slater and James Franco at a table on @goldenglobes #MeToo" last night.

i've read the tweets and she doesn't come out well. sounds like a drunk ex.

i've read the tweets and she doesn't come out well. sounds like a drunk ex.

To be fair to her, Slater has quite the past and there is rumored to be quite a bit of Franco stuff to come out. I assume from her tweets that one or both has in the past done something to her, she implied that the reason she chose to no longer act is down to Franco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

To be fair to her, Slater has quite the past and there is rumored to be quite a bit of Franco stuff to come out. I assume from her tweets that one or both has in the past done something to her, she implied that the reason she chose to no longer act is down to Franco.
    her tweets were along the lines of "wait till i tell you something....oops I've said to much"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

What about the alleged old rapist Kirk Douglas receiving a standing ovation at the Golden Globes from the #metoo crowd, all dressed in black? The hypocrisy is astounding!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

brooke 2 wrote: »
    What about the alleged old rapist Kirk Douglas receiving a standing ovation at the Golden Globes from the #metoo crowd, all dressed in black? The hypocrisy is astounding!! :mad:
    Yes, the hypocrisy is the problem. Oh the hypocrisy!!!

Has anyone actually read the Kirk Douglas/Natalie Wood story? So someone claiming to be Robert Downey Jr commented on a gossip blog giving an incredibly detailed eye witness account of how Douglas raped Wood 40-50 years ago. Seriously? I mean, who knows what Douglas got up to, but that story is obvious bullsh*t.

Has anyone actually read the Kirk Douglas/Natalie Wood story? So someone claiming to be Robert Downey Jr commented on a gossip blog giving an incredibly detailed eye witness account of how Douglas raped Wood 40-50 years ago. Seriously? I mean, who knows what Douglas got up to, but that story is obvious bullsh*t.

Just posts the same on the other thread. Of all the Douglas rumours its the one most ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Yes, the hypocrisy is the problem. Oh the hypocrisy!!!

Well it is indicative of the more insidious problem in Hollywood. One thing we've learned about the Weinstein fall out is that people were aware of what was happening.

Do you not find it deeply disturbing that these people will only react appropriately to what they already know once the scandal hits and they're "obliged" to be disgusted?

I wasn't thrilled with Brie Larson's treatment of Casey Affleck last year but no one could accuse her of being hypocritical. Hollywood needs to grow a similar backbone in general. Only then will proper change happen.

Stan Lee being accused now, supposedly he pestered young nurses for oral sex, groped them and walked around naked when they were there. The nursing agency said they got a string of complaints from young nurses that were sent to him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5250513/Marvel-creator-Stan-Lee-95-accused-groping-nurses.html

Well it is indicative of the more insidious problem in Hollywood. One thing we've learned about the Weinstein fall out is that people were aware of what was happening.

Do you not find it deeply disturbing that these people will only react appropriately to what they already know once the scandal hits and they're "obliged" to be disgusted?

I wasn't thrilled with Brie Larson's treatment of Casey Affleck last year but no one could accuse her of being hypocritical. Hollywood needs to grow a similar backbone in general. Only then will proper change happen.

Hollywood is getting faker and faker as the years pass. Somewhere artistic rebelliousness has morphed into a type of global piousness in which social media has taken on the role of Big Brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hollywood is getting faker and faker as the years pass. Somewhere artistic rebelliousness has morphed into a type of global piousness in which social media has taken on the role of Big Brother.
    It was always fake ER. It;s just in the past the hypocrisy and BS was far more easily covered up and "icons" were polished for the public view. This was a culture that was happy to offer up "communists" when it suited. A culture that espoused "Family values", when it suited, while going as far as human morals could take their overpaid and overpreened public images would allow. A culture that went from trying to explore areas of the human psyche until the Hayes Codes said nope and then went along with them. A culture that was A-OK with anti semitism when it suited, even when many of the movers and shakers were Jewish. A culture that opposed the 60's progressive counterculture. Until it got bums on seats.

It has always boiled down to if it was a positive for the bottom line it was promoted, if it wasn't? Well it wasn't. This recent bullsh1t is a mask, let the mostly dim actors* pimp the product and the party line de jour, it's just business as usual. This very day, I can near guarantee some potential starlet of either gender is on their knees to someone, somewhere.

*many actors are intelligent, many also know which way the wind blows and many are as bright as a two watt lightbulb. Ever see interviews with say Jennifer Lawrence where she strays off the well practiced path of "tee hee, I'm funny and accessible" and throw in "I have fancied older men in the business, and I can't believe I'm saying this. To you[insert older eejit here]" to an international audience? The majority are playing a persona and a well scripted and honed one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

NIMAN wrote: »

Which part? The letter or the op-ed writer’s response to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://ew.com/movies/2018/01/09/michael-douglas-preemptively-denies-sexual-harassment-allegation-before-it-goes-public/

Michael Douglas denies inappropriate behaviour, kinda explains why he was absent from the Golden Globes, he was in rehab for sex addiction not that it is an excuse

The mother of Will Smith on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air accuses William Friedkin today of asking her to give him oral sex. Says she bit him! Friedkin flat out denies it. It was on my twitter feed the interview can't find a link on my desktop

Something else interesting is yesterday Trump in an interview said he is going to change the libel laws. Who knows how long that would take, but it could see a bit of a downturn in accusations!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trump says a lot of things in interviews, much of which betraying a lack of basic understanding of what his job entails or legally allows. He can't just 'change' the libel laws on a whim, and mostly his whining is usually when bad press coverage comes his way.

There are bound to be some false positives, or outright lies in an attempt to shakedown targets, but if libel laws were changed to allow people to prevent victims of sexual assault to come forward, that would be a pretty insidious and depressing change for the worse.

Not quite sure what the libel laws are like in Ireland, but apparently they are much stricter than the UK & US, not really allowing for much wriggle room by journalists, commentators or even satirists.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Trump says a lot of things in interviews, much of which betraying a lack of basic understanding of what his job entails or legally allows. He can't just 'change' the libel laws on a whim, and mostly his whining is usually when bad press coverage comes his way.

There are bound to be some false positives, or outright lies in an attempt to shakedown targets, but if libel laws were changed to allow people to prevent victims of sexual assault to come forward, that would be a pretty insidious and depressing change for the worse.

Not quite sure what the libel laws are like in Ireland, but apparently they are much stricter than the UK & US, not really allowing for much wriggle room by journalists, commentators or even satirists.

He just radically changed all the tax laws, I don't think it would be that hard to change libel laws, only time consuming.
    We all know fake news is prominent and a serious problem and something needs to change there. Its hard to believe anything from anyone in the US anymore.
    It would indeed though affect the area of sexual assault in a big way. Very hard to prove sexual assault if one hasn't been raped, probably hard to prove it even if you have been in many cases. There is no black and white, its very grey.
    Peoples careers are being destroyed left right and centre at the moment, does a rumor on twitter mean that someone is not going to get a job potentially worth millions?
    I'd say if Libel laws were very strict there would have to be some sort of special area for sexual misconduct. Very tricky indeed.

There needs to be another mechanism for addressing alleged sexual assaults/harassment involving people in positions of power. The courts are clearly not able to deal with them. The law doesn't seem to apply to rich people who can afford an army of lawyers.

The media in theory is good at bringing these things to light, but since all western media is corporate media, it's generally unable or unwilling to do so until long after the horse has bolted. Only the most powerful media outlets are capable of taking on powerful abusers. It was the NY Times who broke the Weinstein story and even that was only possible because Weinstein's star had fallen. Weinstein was a powerful man a decade ago, not so much in recent years.

Those first women who came forward were brave and deserve praise because they had no way of knowing whether the media would support them or paint them as lying whores as was the norm until recently. But the people coming forward now with a lynch mob at their back telling one-sided possibly spurious stories about things that happened decades ago and being written up by tabloid hacks desperate for anything to fit into this narrative? Not so much.

Social media has its uses, but for the most part is a visionless, leaderless mob of idiots who believe whatever they want to believe. The stupidity is astounding. People don't read anything, don't check sources. Someone tweeted it, someone said they read it in a book, so it must be true.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

The mother of Will Smith on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air accuses William Friedkin today of asking her to give him oral sex. Says she bit him! Friedkin flat out denies it. It was on my twitter feed the interview can't find a link on my desktop

Something else interesting is yesterday Trump in an interview said he is going to change the libel laws. Who knows how long that would take, but it could see a bit of a downturn in accusations!

Friedkin came across as right prick in the book Easy Riders/Raging Bulls about Hollywood in the 70's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Although I take a lot of these accusations about things that supposedly happened years ago with a pinch of salt, from what I know of Friedkin, I can easily imagine that he got up to all sorts of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Eliza Dushku has said she was molested by a stuntman while filming True Lies when she was 12 and none of the adults did anything to protect her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Jesus, surprised James Cameron would close his eyes to that.

• Advertisement

You can read her full statement at the end of this post.

According to Dushku, she told her parents, two adults friends and her older brothers and none of them wanted to deal with it at the time, including herself because it was a "taboo subject", etc. She said an older friend confronted her abuser who was a stunt coordinator and she was injured in a stunt shortly afterwards. She suggests that others in the crew should have noticed his advances (he called her "jailbait" in front of people). She never mentions Cameron.

Advertisement