Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo/sexual misconduct scandals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,972 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is Seth doing the Tarantino I’m shocked I just never knew it was happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think he has some plausible deniability on that.

But in the interview, he specifically says that he was wrong in 2018 to say he'd keep working with Franco. This is more of him changing his stance, then responding to new inforomation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

pixelburp wrote: »
    As Tony points out, Gibson's out was his drinking; plus let's face it, the guy has languished in the "straight to video" tier of filmmaking ever since his public exposure. He was once one of the biggest stars in Hollywood, a bankable name to attach to any production.

What adds spice to the Whedon story is that in the 90s he was paraded as a pioneer for writing "strong female characters" in TV (even if IMO, in retrospect it was basically one archetype, endlessly repeated); the revelations that he was an outrageous shít - minus the convenient excuse of addiction as fuel to the fire - only made his fall longer and harder. There was an element of deep hypocrisy within the story.

Whedon's out is that he’s behind the camera and his sins are lesser. The fact that it’s the hypocrisy that adds "spice" to the allegations only shows how shallow they are; there's a cohort of fans who care about that and the general movie and TV audiences couldn’t care less.

Seems so. What a prick.

Kevin Guthrie star of both Fantastic Beasts film and Dunkirk and TV's The Terror jailed for 3 years and put on Sexual Offenders Register after being convicted of sexual assault yesterday.

Danny Masterson will stand trial on 3 rape charges.
    Danny Masterson, the actor best known for his role in That ’70s Show, must stand trial on three counts of rape, a judge said on Friday.

The determination by Charlaine F Olmedo, of the Los Angeles superior county court, came on the fourth day of a preliminary hearing where the prosecution laid out its evidence.

That included dramatic and emotional testimony from three women who took the stand to say that Masterson raped them in 2001 and 2003.

Olmedo said she found the women’s testimony credible for the purposes of a preliminary hearing, where the bar for sufficient evidence is much lower than at trial.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/21/danny-masterson-that-70s-show-rape-trial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lady Gaga has spoken out about the lasting pain and trauma of being sexually assaulted as a teenager, revealing she suffered a "total psychotic break" years after being left pregnant by her alleged rapist.
    The Grammy award-winning singer -- real name Stefani Germanotta -- recalled her harrowing experience in an emotional appearance on the premiere episode of "The Me You Can't See," a new docuseries co-created by Prince Harry and Oprah Winfrey that aims to tackle the stigma around mental health.

Source CNN

She won't name the music producer but sides with #metoo movement

Charlie Hanson Removed As Producer On Netflix’s ‘After Life’; Ricky Gervais “Shocked & Appalled” By Misconduct Allegations
    British television producer and director Charlie Hanson has been removed from Netflix’s Ricky Gervais comedy After Life and he has been suspended by BAFTA amid allegations of sexual misconduct.

Both Netflix and BAFTA were sent an anonymous email this week containing allegations about Hanson. The Times of London reported on Saturday that he is the subject of complaints from 11 women, who have detailed accusations dating from 2008 to 2015. Hanson strenuously denies wrongdoing.

Netflix confirmed Hanson is no longer a producer on After Life. A spokeswoman said: “On Monday, we received an anonymous email containing historical allegations about a producer on one of our titles. Whilst the allegations are unrelated to his time on the show, we immediately removed him from the production and referred the matter to the police........”

https://deadline.com/2021/05/charlie-hanson-removed-after-life-suspended-bafta-netflix-1234766445/

James Franco to Pay $2.2 Million in Sexual Misconduct Settlement - Source E

• Advertisement

Swedish police have open an investigation into rape claims made against Joel Kinnaman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Apparently a recording between Kinnamen and the woman accusing him is online if you know where to look. Didn't listen myself but read some of the transcript, quickly stopping as it felt very transgressive and icky. While Kinnamen himself filed a restraining order against the woman, accusing her of extortion.

Bob Dylan is accused in a lawsuit of sexually abusing a 12-year-old girl over the course of several weeks in 1965

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭santana75

Bloody heck is all coming out now, the entertainment industrys dark underbelly finally being exposed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dylan’s whereabouts during that year were heavily documented. If false it will be very easy for Dylan’s lawyers to prove.

I know the emotional attachment we have to entertainers we don't know (but admire) is irrational, but I couldn't help thinking 'Ah no, not Bob.' :( Time will tell, I suppose. If more people start coming out about Dylan, it will get ugly.

Musicians seem to be granted a degree of license regarding sexual impropriety (and even illegality) that other people are not. Always struck me as an odd exceptionalism that enables hiding in plain sight. Guess it's that irrational admiration. I am also sure that this extra license attracts certain types to the industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Marilyn Manson now as well and he looked like such a nice guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was just all downhill for him after The Wonder Years

Ron Jeremy has been indicted on more than 30 counts of sexual assault 12 of them rapes involving 21 women and girls between 1996 and 2019.

The youngest being 15 to oldest being 51

Marilyn Manson Rape, Assault Lawsuit By Ex-Girlfriend Tossed By Judge

A woman who accused rocker Marilyn Manson of rape has had her lawsuit tossed out of court.

The lawsuit was dismissed Tuesday because the statute of limitations had passed on the woman’s claims, TMZ reported. 

The lawsuit dates to May, when the woman – identified only as “Jane Doe” in legal papers – said the rape happened after she and Manson started dating in 2011. She claimed repressed memories of the incident stopped her from reporting the incident then.

The judge was skeptical of the claim, but gave the woman 20 days to refile the complaint and address concerns over the repressed memories claim.

• Advertisement

-> My bank account and MeToo

A mediator has ordered Kevin Spacey to pay nearly $31m (£23.2m) to the studio that made the hit Netflix show, House of Cards, for breach of contract following sexual harassment allegations against the US actor.

The secret ruling was made last year, but became public on Monday after lawyers for the studio, MRC, filed a court petition to confirm the award.

MRC and Netflix fired Mr Spacey from House of Cards and wrote him out of the show.

As a result, the studio said it lost millions of dollars because it had already started working on the next season, the arbitration papers say, according to US media.

MRC filed the lawsuit in January 2019, seeking to recover the costs and arguing that Mr Spacey's behaviour violated the studio's sexual harassment policy.

He appealed against the decision, but it was denied this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The vast majority of Time’s Up’s remaining staffers were laid off Friday

The embattled organization, limping since its CEO and entire board resigned this summer, announced Friday that it would lay off the vast majority of its remaining staff. Leadership informed staff of the decision in a virtual meeting that started 15 minutes before the Washington Post broke the news

In a statement, the board called the layoffs a “major reset” needed to right the ship after the events of the last year. Multiple outlets reported over the summer that the leaders of Time’s Up—which was created in response to the #MeToo movement—had counseled then-New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo on how to respond to sexual harassment allegations against him and had disparaged his accuser in text messages.

breach of contract

violated the studio's sexual harassment policy.

thats fair enough, I thought it was something that happened 20 years ago, that was just came out recently. just looked it up and it was only 5 years go it happened, while he was working on the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Some kick up the hole to Spacey all the same - he won't be getting too m any roles in the future that will put $31m back in his fanny pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,659 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

$31 mil though...jesus that's some whack.

Im seeing his face all over Netflix again, so he has made a deal in there somewhere to get back in the game. So its not all bad!

Is he still not more toxic than five heavy Guinness drinkers in a small car coming back from a stag on a Sunday where the electric windows and the air are not working?

Eliza Dushku Speaks Out on Sexual Harassment, Firing and Retaliation on CBS’ ‘Bull’ for House Judiciary Committee

Actor Eliza Dushku shared her experience facing sexual harassment on the set of CBS’ “Bull” in front of a House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, speaking out about being fired from the show and forced to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

In 2016, Dushku had a recurring role in Season 1 of “Bull” that was meant to become a regular role, but she alleges that she was fired from the show after accusing star Michael Weatherly of sexual harassment. She received a $9.5 million settlement from CBS, the Boston Globe reported in 2018.

“I was told that the role would be a six-year commitment to play a smart, strong leading lady, a confident high-powered lawyer meant to counterbalance the existing male lead, and that the role had been written specifically with me in mind,” Dushku said. “However, in my first week on my new job I found myself the brunt of crude, sexualized and lewd verbal assaults. I suffered near constant sexual harassment from my co-star. This was beyond anything I had experienced in my 30-year career.”

She didn’t refer to Weatherly by name, but she added that the male co-star “frequently referred to me as ‘legs.’ He would smell me and leeringly look me up and down. Off script, in front of about 100 crew members and cast members, he once said that he would take me to his rape van and use lube and long phallic things on me and take me over his knee and spank me like a little girl. Another time he told me that his sperm were powerful swimmers.”

Dushku alleged that after speaking to the co-star about toning down his comments, he texted the head of CBS Studios and she was fired the next day. She added that she was silenced by the arbitration clause in her contract.

“I’ve worked as an actress since I was a child and signed countless contracts negotiated on my behalf, but never understood that there were mandatory arbitration clauses that would be used to keep what had happened to me a secret and would protect CBS and the sexual harassment perpetrator, who had blatantly retaliated against me for trying the stop the harassment in my workplace,” Dushku said.

Dushku spoke in front of a House Judiciary Committee hearing titled “Silenced: How Forced Arbitration Keeps Victims of Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment in the Shadow.” CBS did not immediately respond to Variety‘s request for comment.

See Dushku’s remarks below.

• Advertisement

Chris Noth now accused

Mr. Big, and the husband of The Good Wife? Wasn't he in Law and Order aswell...

Zoe Lister-Jones accused Chris Noth of "sexually inappropriate" conduct and alleged that he was "drunk" on Law & Order set

https://www.eonline.com/news/1313689/zoe-lister-jones-accuses-chris-noth-of-sexually-inappropriate-behavior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

One of Bryan Singer's victims has spoken out on the abuse he suffered.

The writers of the article have said that they spoke to 20 people to corroborate the events he describes.

And one of the author's tweets.

Be interesting to see if Franco gets to return to hollywood. I doubt it.

I bet sex and the city people are calling it a christmas miracle they killed off Big in the new series. Talk about perfect timing!!

Taken in isolation "handsome famous movie star sleeps with two average looking women at his acting school" is not on up on the high end offending compared to the other scandals like Weinstein, Spacey, Hammer etc

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9742747/James-Franco-Agrees-2-2-Million-Settlement-Sexual-Misconduct-Suit.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Would it have been higher up if he was not handsome or famous 🤔 what's the relevance of the victims' looks?

Because that's how the real world actually works.

Uglier people are happy to sleep with better looking ones.

It's programmed into humans.

He was not right to take advantage of the position but there is no suggestion that it was not completely consensual.

it's way down the scale compared to the other scandals.

In fact it's probably safe to say that he never would have slept with them save for the fact that they were in his school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Weren't there also accusations that in his classes he made them have kissing/sexual scenes with him, removed protective shields used in filming to cover genitals, and got angry when some of them wouldn't go topless for some scenes?

I think the accusations against him went beyond just "teacher sleeps with adult student". It seems clear he was abusing his position in any way he could and putting the women in uncomfortable situations. Illegal? No. But scummy to say the least if those accusations are true.

afaik those two students (Sarah Tither-Kaplan and Toni Gaal) were not in some of the most dodgy classes that were supposed to have being going on.

I'm not saying that that Franco is a good guy in the slightest but it wasn't rape / sexual assault / drugging people / high-level abuse - it was consensual sex between adults and any sex classes that took place they signed up for specifically.

certainly there was a power dynamic there I agree and it's not good behaviour.

I don't know if it's a complete career-ender.

time will tell.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I'd say him settling an earlier case doesn't look good for him. A lot of his behaviour reminds of similar stuff James Toback did. Wouldn't fall under 'rape', but it would fall under power dynamic abuse.

That said, Franco's not in the clear-him making an admission of bad behaviour means the lawsuits now have more meat to them.

Interesting how Noth is being blamed for the show's (more than likely) cancellation.

Couldn't possibly be because the show itsself was met with all the warmth of a bout of diarrhea. The Noth allegations probably helped get rid of a bomb.

• Advertisement

I had to watch a few episodes of this, the first one was passable with North in it, and then it got beyond bad. Puke worthy

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

They did the reboot for the pay check and agreed to virtue signal everything that is wrong in the world today but it has spectacularly bombed and thank god it has these reboots ruin the original series and tarnish them. Well done Kim Cattrell for giving it a wide birth it proves she really made the orignial show what it was, these three are soo boring with out her. She carried the show and they all know it too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The MeToo movement is toxic. A lot of the times there is no sexual assault or rape, there's consent.

Like women sleeping with someone to get a role etc. That's not rape. Might be creepy and unethical but it's consensual.

"oh I slept with him because I wouldn't become a famous actress otherwise" is not rape or sexual assault. Why didn't these women report this? No, they put their career first and slept with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was only wondering the other what was happening with Next Goal Wins, interested to see what Waititi did with what was already an entertaining story, one covered by a documentary of the same name (IIRC). Hadn't known Hammer was involved;

• Advertisement
Advertisement