Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo/sexual misconduct scandals

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Put a fork in the discussion, it's done. A rival screenwriter might be up to no good. Oh but it's just trying to find "the truth".

I mean sure. Might as well throw in George Soros if we're indulging in total conspiratorial waffle.

What a waste of bytes trying to discuss such obvious Bad Faith whataboutery. The Boards really needs a :facepalm: emoji :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

'For all we know' is doing some very heavy lifting here for a ludicrous suggestion you've just totally manufactured out of thin air.

So what?

What odds ?

I am only searching for some truth.

As it stands we have a group of disenfranchised former employees crying over Twitter over real issues that they alleged happened to them 20 years ago. Some tinted I might add with some malign allegations which do seem dubious enough?

It has taken the firing off an ex colleague and his sub sequential legal action for these allegations to come to pass... and let's be honest here, they do seem soft enough?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Sakana wrote: »
    This was a post on Instagram a week ago:

michelletrachtenberg
    Verified
    Thank you @sarahmgellar for saying this. I am brave enough now as a 35 year old woman....To repost this. Because. This must. Be known. As a teenager. With his not appropriate behavior....very. Not. Appropriate. So now. People know. What Joss. Did.
    The last. Comment I will make on this. Was. There was a rule. Saying. He's not allowed in a room alone with Michelle again.

Interesting syntax aside, that more than hints at something much darker than bullying a grown adult.

If it was because of sexual advances on her, a minor at the time, it should be clarified, I think

Exactly... if he was inappropriate she needs to make a statement to the relevant authorities. To. That. Effect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Potatoeman wrote: »
    The Shining does not hold up. I went to see it at a Halloween screening a few years ago and the audience was in stitches. Bad over the top acting, odd scenes that seemed out of place then the n word thrown in that seemed completely inappropriate. At the time it was the scariest horror movie but now it’s just a joke. If this is at the top of your best horror movies of all time, watch it again.

<off topic alert>

I've seen it enough times, I'd be confident of what it is or isn't in my head. Wouldn't agree about the acting - unless you mean Duvall's character and hey, we can be sure her hysterics were likely real. TBH I wouldn't really classify it as a horror movie anyway, and even if I did, it's the one genre I'm often very careful about recommendations. Because as a genre the variation of tones can be pronounced; there'd be a huge gulf between horror by way of subtle existential dread you might get in The Shining, Don't Look Now or The Babadook, and rollercoaster jump-scare factories like with The Conjuring or The Nun. These days the median seems to sit around the latter.

All have their place, but I've noticed that The Shining has this needlessly hyperbolic label as "one of the scariest movies evah!", more recently seen in the adaption of Ready Player One, where a teenage character declared it thus. It was obviously Spielberg's authorial voice speaking instead.

One of the "scariest" films I've seen in recent years was "I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House", but there's no way in hell Id recommend it to someone unless I knew for a fact they'd find that film's slowwwww, creeping sense of unease and malevolence engaging. Others would find it stunningly dull beyond endurance I suspect.

I am also a film nerd and find the details like The Shining's intentionally impossible geography of its (then recording-breaking) set to be utterly fascinating; something that you wouldn't necessarily notice unless looking out for it.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    So what?

What odds ?

I am only searching for some truth.

As it stands we have a group of disenfranchised former employees crying over Twitter over real issues that they alleged happened to them 20 years ago. Some tinted I might add with some malign allegations which do seem dubious enough?

It has taken the firing off an ex colleague and his sub sequential legal action for these allegations to come to pass... and let's be honest here, they do seem soft enough?

Tbh, it doesn't seem remotely "dubious", if anything it reinforces what his ex wife said about his behaviour. You don't find it a little odd that the majority of people he's worked with never worked with him again? SMG seems pretty clearly had a desperate relationship with him based on her statements over the years. The Carpenter stuff was rumoured for years, she just confirmed it.

So you can accuse them of being snowflakes and such but you can't pretend that you want to know the truth when you're actively attacking their experiences as if they weren't unacceptable things for him to do. You're diminishing his behaviour and the fact he built himself up as a feminist icon over the years means the fall should be all the greater.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

pixelburp wrote: »
    The third act of Speed smelt so badly of a script that simply ran out of road (no pun intended), but had some mandate to stick in a Big Explosive Climax. The premise meant the hero and villain had no natural way to face off against each other; so all that brilliantly bottled tension and stakes on the bus disappeared in favour of a generic action set-piece that was ... I mean it was OK, but it jarred like hell against all that came before.

Despite supposedly being pitched as "Die Hard on a bus", Speed has a pretty distinctive 3 act structure each focused on different moving vehicles: elevator, bus, subway. The bus is only the premise of the middle act of Speed, even if it was the most memorable aspect of the film and the focus of the marketing. I'd be surprised to learn that the film wasn't structured like this from the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,490 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The Shining does not hold up. I went to see it at a Halloween screening a few years ago and the audience was in stitches. Bad over the top acting, odd scenes that seemed out of place then the n word thrown in that seemed completely inappropriate. At the time it was the scariest horror movie but now it’s just a joke. If this is at the top of your best horror movies of all time, watch it again.

I think I disagree with just about every word here. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Tony EH wrote: »
    I think I disagree with just about every word here. :pac:

Watch it with someone that has never seen it before. It’s interesting how some movies that were great in their day just don’t hold up but others are still solid.

Gerard Depardieu has been charged in France with rape and sexual assault, against an actor on 2018.
    The French actor Gérard Depardieu has been charged with rape and sexual assault, allegedly committed in 2018 against an actor in her 20s, a judicial source told AFP on Tuesday.

An initial investigation into the rape accusations against Depardieu, 72, was dropped in 2019 for lack of evidence but reopened last summer, leading to criminal charges filed in December, the source said.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/feb/23/gerard-depardieu-charged-with-and-sexual-assault

Gerard Depardieu has been charged in France with rape and sexual assault, against an actor on 2018.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/feb/23/gerard-depardieu-charged-with-and-sexual-assault

Ironic that since he has played the role of such a character in an Abel Ferrara movie not too long ago

• Advertisement

Ironic that since he has played the role of such a character in an Abel Ferrara movie not too long ago

Leaving aside any question of sexual assault, I'm only 40 and were I not married, wouldn't think of hitting on anyone in their 20s; Depardieu was 70 at the time of the incident, and presumed to sleaze on a woman young enough to be his granddaughter. I really don't get the mindset of some types of men, that they stalk women far past appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,831 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Depardieu has years of allegations against him and his drunken antics and inappropriate behavior. I remember a story of him taking his lad out and pissing while in his seat on a I think Ryanair or Cityjet in Dublin on a flight to Paris years ago that ended up in court.

Leaving aside any question of sexual assault, I'm only 40 and were I not married, wouldn't think of hitting on anyone in their 20s; Depardieu was 70 at the time of the incident, and presumed to sleaze on a woman young enough to be his granddaughter. I really don't get the mindset of some types of men, that they stalk women far past appropriate.

In my late thirties I had girls in their twenties after me. Once you hit that age gap it’s not practical for relationships but in the age of casual hookups it’s pretty common, if you are in decent shape. At 70 he’d be lucky to rise to the occasion, though being famous would still have younger women after him.

There are mixed messages though. The idea of playing hard to get and not being too interested when they in fact are would need to go too. Also the main stream things like 50 shades of grey and 365 days send some mixed messages of what’s considered acceptable (which they would not be in real life) and these are popular amongst women not men.

In my late thirties I had girls in their twenties after me. Once you hit that age gap it’s not practical for relationships but in the age of casual hookups it’s pretty common, if you are in decent shape. At 70 he’d be lucky to rise to the occasion, though being famous would still have younger women after him.

There are mixed messages though. The idea of playing hard to get and not being too interested when they in fact are would need to go too. Also the main stream things like 50 shades of grey and 365 days send some mixed messages of what’s considered acceptable (which they would not be in real life) and these are popular amongst women not men.

230114_908223010.png

Uh huh. :pac:

Unless there are some studies to the contrary, I really don't buy that "fame & money" is that much an aphrodisiac that it's on the women to excuse horny septuagenarians trying to pull people barely out of their teenage years. The occasional gold-digger shouldn't be taken as proof of open season; especially when it's usually said old codgers doing the pursuit - and it's a further rarity they ever appear to be physically fit & able either. Obviously "consenting adults" should be accommodated in any of these discussions, but Depardieu sleazing around after 20-year-olds doesn't wash that some might enjoy the lure of the famous. It's on him to show discretion and sense that most women will not want advances of any description.

It's all a mess of course. Nobody bats an eyelid when DeCaprio dates ~25 years his junior; then Keanu Reeves is seen stepping out with an older, grey-haired & age-appropriate woman - and the internet lost its mind at such apparent vulgarity. So standards are kinda all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

230114_908223010.png

Unless there are some studies to the contrary, I really don't buy that "fame & money" is that much an aphrodisiac that it's on the women to excuse horny septuagenarians trying to pull people barely out of their teenage years. The occasional gold-digger shouldn't be taken as proof of open season; especially when it's usually said old codgers doing the pursuit - and it's a further rarity they ever appear to be physically fit & able either. Obviously "consenting adults" should be accommodated in any of these discussions, but Depardieu sleazing around after 20-year-olds doesn't wash that some might enjoy the lure of the famous. It's on him to show discretion and sense that most women will not want advances of any description.

It's all a mess of course. Nobody bats an eyelid when DeCaprio dates ~25 years his junior; then Keanu Reeves is seen stepping out with an older, grey-haired & age-appropriate woman - and the internet lost its mind at such apparent vulgarity. So standards are kinda all over the place.

I've definitely seen Di Caption get flack for his 25 rule and rightfully so. Keanu's partner is actually 9 years younger than him I don't think that's massive or creepy discrepancy, they only started dating in 2018 according to Google.

It is a grey area and standards as you say are kind of scattered but it's something that movies themselves perpetuate. Tom Cruise is 58, 21 years older than his romantic interest in MI Rebecca Ferguson and 12 years older than Michelle Monaghan who played his wife. Liam Neeson is 13 years older than Viola Davis who played his wife I'm Widows and 24 years older than Carrie Coon, also 12 years older than Famke Jansen who was his wife in the Taken franchise.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I've definitely seen Di Caption get flack for his 25 rule and rightfully so. Keanu's partner is actually 9 years younger than him I think that's massive or creepy discrepancy, they only started dating in 2018 according to Google.

It is a grey area and standards as you say are kind of scattered but it's something that movies themselves perpetuate. Tom Cruise is 58, 21 years older than his romantic interest in MI Rebecca Ferguson and 12 years older than Michelle Monaghan who played his wife. Liam Neeson is 13 years older than Viola Davis who played his wife I'm Widows and 24 years older than Carrie Coon, also 12 years older than Famke Jansen who was his wife in the Taken franchise.

Oh I had thought Keanu's partner was older, my mistake; definitely recall the general "shock" that he was dating someone with GREY HAIR *gasp*. Will take your word on the DiCaprio stuff 'cos I hadn't seen it myself.

It's definitely baked into the genetics of Hollywood all right; an older man romancing a young girl is just boilerplate for any given film - the reverse is an entire plotline for a Shocking Thriller. I will give a film some leeway if the two actors at least LOOK similar-aged - but as in the case with Cruise, that hasn't been true for years. Given that older fellow Russell Crowe called Tom Cruise "young man" in The Mummy, there's clearly a lot of insecurity floating about. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭blue note

Di caprio constantly gets called up on his girlfriends remaining young. As do plenty of male celebrities. I was just talking about Florence pugh and zach braff a couple of days ago. They both adults and all that, but the age gap is weird. He's probably much closer in age to her parents. On screen the guys can often be a lot older and noone thinks about it, but that's different, it's make believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Will take your word on the DiCaprio stuff 'cos I hadn't seen it myself.
    The Di Caprio stuff came to a head a few years ago with this infographic.
    10902600-0-image-a-139_1552424929832.jpg
    It's definitely baked into the genetics of Hollywood all right; an older man romancing a young girl is just boilerplate for any given film - the reverse is an entire plotline for a Shocking Thriller. I will give a film some leeway if the two actors at least LOOK similar-aged - but as in the case with Cruise, that hasn't been true for years. Given that older fellow Russell Crowe called Tom Cruise "young man" in The Mummy, there's clearly a lot of insecurity floating about. :D
    It's true. I think it's becoming a little less exaggerated, but far from done as a pattern. I'm thinking of Bellucci appearing as an age-appropriate Bond girl, when a few decades ago Rodger Moore was starting to feel like a creep acting opposite women less than half his age, e.g. he was 54 when For Your Eyes Only was released and Bouquet was 24.

Cruise is probably a bit insecure or overly image-conscious in general: he routinely appears taller on film thanks to any combination of tricks, whether he demands it or directors just steer clear of depicting a shorter guy with a taller woman.

I've definitely seen Di Caption get flack for his 25 rule and rightfully so. Keanu's partner is actually 9 years younger than him I think that's massive or creepy discrepancy, they only started dating in 2018 according to Google.

10-12 I can understand a bit more. Eg my father is 6 years older than my mother. Once you're into the territory of 20 years older then that's rather creepy and invariably the person they're dating is in their early 20s. Which in itself should equal a big gap in both interests and maturity.

I'd love to know what Vincent D'Onofrio says in private about his 29 year old daughter being married to Sean Penn who will be 61 this year....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

230114_908223010.png

"Leo de Caprio attended the premiere of Once upon a Time in Hollywood and by the end his date was to old for him,Even Prince Andrew is like,"Cmon mate"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Did you mistype about Keane Reeves?

I’m guessing you meant it isn’t creepy that there is a 9 year age difference.

230114_908223010.png

I don't think you are right about all this, a lot of it comes down to culture. In Irish culture sure its frowned upon greatly, but there further east you go the more normal it becomes. Nobody can decide what is 'attractive' to someone else because then we are frowning upon a whole heap of things and sexuality. There is no 'normal' when it comes to sex remember.
    Being the same age as yourself and single and spending much of the last 20 years overseas, and running my own company and lets say at least being perceived as 'successful' whether I am or not, I get a lot of younger women lets say showing interest. Their motives I believe can range from purely gold digging, to being tired of dealing with childish guys their own age, the familiar term of 'daddy issues' or maybe even the novelty. I certainly remember at 20 the idea of a women in her 30's and 40's was pretty damn exciting :D. I mean the amount of fantasies I had about older women back then....if only Demi Moore knew....
    In the case of a guy like Gerard who is world famous, wealthy and esteemed, who is anyone to judge why a girl in her 20's doesn't find that very desirable? In my experiences in Asia and Eastern Europe, its actually the norm and not the other way around. Women are often brought up and told to find a rich and successful man to take care of them, money being the most important thing of all.
    Of course many of us know money does not equal happiness, but try telling that to someone who has grown up dirt poor and has never had anything. Im pretty sure a rich and famous man of any age is a pretty serious aphrodisiac then!

You would also have to think from a physical perspective, a man no matter how old he is is not going to suddenly not be attracted to a stunning 20 year old. And if he was single at that age and can manage to pull a girl like that instead of a withered old woman, or vice versa in the case of a 70 year old woman having a limping complaining old man who can't get it up :pac:, lets just say 'a new lease of life' would probably be an apt phrase!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Whilst I find it distasteful myself.......

I do find a certain amusement in certain quarters from some of the other people who are very free love and choice etc...........then get a bit ratty when people exercise this option......and decide to date outside their age range.

If all that is being sought after is fun and you can why wouldn't you go for a 25 year old (fully an adult) rather than a 50 year old?

230114_908223010.png

In my case there were other factors going on. I went from below average to attractive. Then you add in other things that make you more more appealing and it’s a different world. Looking back now there are certain things that are generally true but many people won’t like to admit. There are always exceptions but if your honest they can be hard to deny.

When it comes to the age gap there are statistics on it that show a ten year or more gap doubles the chance of the relationship failing, it the same for people that are from different cultures (probably different social expectations).

As for old Leo, he’s rich, famous and attractive so he’s an exception. He’s playing under different rules. It’s odd that the many of same people that call him out will cheer on Madonna for doing the same thing.

In my case there were other factors going on. I went from below average to attractive. Then you add in other things that make you more more appealing and it’s a different world. Looking back now there are certain things that are generally true but many people won’t like to admit. There are always exceptions but if your honest they can be hard to deny.

When it comes to the age gap there are statistics on it that show a ten year or more gap doubles the chance of the relationship failing, it the same for people that are from different cultures (probably different social expectations).

As for old Leo, he’s rich, famous and attractive so he’s an exception. He’s playing under different rules. It’s odd that the many of same people that call him out will cheer on Madonna for doing the same thing.

How did you go from below average looks to being attractive?

Also how do you know the women considered you attractive? Maybe they just wanted sex and you seemed easy.

What does average good looking look like? I’d like to compare myself.

I'll be honest, I didn't foresee this thread turning into El Rifle and Potatoeman's attempts to lament the difficulty of being. Simply. So. Desirable :rolleyes: :pac: It's a tough life.

Who cheers on Madonna for the same thing? Am curious; I wasn't even aware she was dating younger, so if it's wildly inappropriate then yeah. Gross. But I don't get a tremendous sense of double standards in this subject, while there's still plenty of "go on you good thing" if it's the older man dating the young 'un - as mentioned it forms the bedrock of Hollywood "romance" on-screen.

People of grand-parenting age dating those of grand-children age is ... well, it's a psychological minefield at best. I'm sure there have been academic studies done of the psychosexual meaning or interpretations of those kinds of gaps - especially when it's not as obviously transactional as (say) 90-year-old Bernie Eccletone being married to a 44-year-old.

I'll be honest, I didn't foresee this thread turning into El Rifle and Potatoeman's attempts to lament the difficulty of being. Simply. So. Desirable :rolleyes: :pac: It's a tough life.

Who cheers on Madonna for the same thing? Am curious; I wasn't even aware she was dating younger, so if it's wildly inappropriate then yeah. Gross. But I don't get a tremendous sense of double standards in this subject, while there's still plenty of "go on you good thing" if it's the older man dating the young 'un - as mentioned it forms the bedrock of Hollywood "romance" on-screen.

People of grand-parenting age dating those of grand-children age is ... well, it's a psychological minefield at best. I'm sure there have been academic studies done of the psychosexual meaning or interpretations of those kinds of gaps - especially when it's not as obviously transactional as (say) 90-year-old Bernie Eccletone being married to a 44-year-old.

We are all just jealous. :p

Bedrock of Hollywood indeed. In the movie High Society Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly play “childhood sweethearts”. He was 53 and Kelly was 27. Even the thought of that movie gives me the creeps.

How did you go from below average looks to being attractive?

Also how do you know the women considered you attractive? Maybe they just wanted sex and you seemed easy.

What does average good looking look like? I’d like to compare myself.

You need to have an objective look at yourself then recognise your faults and what you can do to improve. I was too skinny, slouched, not confident enough and needed to dress better. I worked out 10-20 hours a week for two years which fixed the first three the last is the simplest. Then smile more, as it improves your mood and draws people to you. It’s easier to achieve if you have decent genetics that let you, it’s not plastic surgery.

You need to have an objective look at yourself then recognise your faults and what you can do to improve. I was too skinny, slouched, not confident enough and needed to dress better. I worked out 10-20 hours a week for two years which fixed the first three the last is the simplest. Then smile more, as it improves your mood and draws people to you. It’s easier to achieve if you have decent genetics that let you, it’s not plastic surgery.

So you aren’t talking about looks at all?

You just improved how you carried yourself? Learn to throw shapes?

• Advertisement

The Madonna thing was in the media like the Leo thing. If they want to do it then let them at it. Why should people care.

Advertisement