Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo/sexual misconduct scandals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

He is one of the 27%ers

he was great in The Americans (but of course everyone was) and I cannot understand why he was not in the main cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Deadline

Following the news that production was suspended on the Searchlight film Being Mortalsources tell Deadline the reason for suspension had to do with a complaint made against star Bill Murray for inappropriate behavior.

It is unknown at this time what Murray’s involvement in the project will be going forward as the investigation remains active. Insiders add that Aziz Ansari — who is starring, writing and making his directorial debut on the film alongside his partner Youree Henley — was not a part of the complaint, nor was Seth Rogen, who also appears in Being Mortal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,547 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Music rather than movie related, fits with the overall pattern. Probably not that well known in Ireland (except maybe among hip fans) but he's pretty high profile in Britain, kind of a John Peel of rap.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61188603

• Registered Users Posts: 8,329 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bill Murrary

"I did something I thought was funny and it wasn’t taken that way."

The actor Bill Murray said that a movie in which he was set to star was suspended because an attempt at humor had been taken amiss by a female co-star, addressing publicly for the first time an episode that has gotten widespread attention.

“I did something I thought was funny, and it wasn’t taken that way,” Murray said in an interview on Saturday with CNBC’s Becky Quick, during coverage of Berkshire Hathaway’s annual shareholders’ meeting.

Murray, who is 71, labeled the episode a “difference of opinion” and did not apologize. While limiting his discussion of what happened to generalities and without going into detail, he spoke contritely about unwittingly “insensitive” behavior.

“I’ve been doing not much else but thinking about it for the last week or two,” he said. “The world’s different than it was when I was a little kid. What I always thought was funny as a little kid isn’t necessarily the same as what’s funny now.”.........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Actress in question is supposedly Keke Palmer (no, me neither)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, Murray is an old looking 71. A lifetime of being an àsshole by reputation didn't exactly make this news surprising. The contrition reads genuine mind you.

He looks like an average 71 year old. I know Steve Martin is older, but Steve's weirdly aging backwards.

From what I've read, and from what I've heard, from people in the know, Murray tends to be impatient to the 'Hollywood' types, but to regular, genuine people- your normal everyday Joe and Joan Soap, actors and filmmakers who have a unique approach, or generally create a fun work environment that allows him 'riff' or rewrite dialogue- he's actually really pleasant, really professional and has fun. (Case in point, when he holidayed here in Ireland, recently, seemed to have really enjoyed himself).

When you read about him being a jerk, it tends to be people who think their flatulence doesn't stink. Chevy Chase, for one thing, he DESPISED (He punched him). And tbh, he wasn't the only one. (A 2002 roast of Chevy was heavily edited for TV-apparently the comedians were SAVAGE to Chase. He cried after.) The incident on Charlies Angels with Lucy Liu (he made some comment, she physically attacked him - that ticked him off. He's also not gonna hit a woman. So he went to his trailer, and stayed there for the whole day.) Stuff like GroundHog Day and What About Bob, he's owned up to. (The latter he claimed he was encouraged to be a jerk on the set, on account of him and Richard Dreyfuss meant to not like one another).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

"He's also not gonna hit a woman."

He has been accused of domestic abuse in the past.

Which he strenuously denied. And the allegations were withdrawn before they went to court. Do you honestly think a guy who genuinely hit women would stand idly by if a woman chose to physically attack him? We know that Harvey Weinstein didn't care if he had an audience or not, he'd make threats or by physically violent any hour of the day.

I've even heard first hand accounts of notable domestic abusers not caring if they had an audience or not if they hit someone, of the opposite gender, knowing they could get away with it. Didn't care if they had an audience.

If Murray was genuinely a woman beater, there would be many instances or documentations of it. As it is, there was one allegation, which was withdrawn, in a very, very messy divorce. Meanwhile, he's very active in his children's lives. Compare that to other folks who want nothing to do with their parent's abuser.

I didn't know they were withdrawn. Apologies in advance if I’ve misinterpreted but you seem in general very willing to sweep the negative feedback under the carpet and blame the other parties for being unprofessional or having their own egos. I'm not calling for Murray to be “cancelled” and I’m not saying I believe everything that’s been said but there are enough stories about him being difficult for me to conclude that he may be a bit of a jerk (not on the same scale of Weinstein or the likes) and not necessarily the loveable guy we glean from social media stories. Without knowing any context excpet that a whole production was shut down, his statement above reads very much like a stubborn old man unwilling to change with the times.

being a jerk shouldnt be in scope for this thread nor for mention in the same breath as #metoo, unless it means literally nothing

ive no doubt bill murray is a very annoying person to be around, at 71 and giving zero fcks for forty years or more, working in an industry where the general behaviour ranges from monstrous at the far end of credible and ignored weinstein style actions over many years through to having to be arsed dealing with the vapidity and ego of the typical hollywood star machine.

zero credit accrues to anyone cherrypicking vague whispers and running a mile with them imo

I'm not saying being a jerk is in the scope and I didn't post the original story. The fact we don't know what went down, all we know is that a production was shut down entirely over a "difference of opinion" (his words) which I think is unlikely. Neither am I cherry picking "vague whispers".

Fred savage fired from the wonder years reboot for inappropriate conduct

“Recently, we were made aware of allegations of inappropriate conduct by Fred Savage, and as is policy, an investigation was launched. Upon its completion, the decision was made to terminate his employment as an executive producer and director of The Wonder Years,” a spokesman for 20th Television said in a statement

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

OMG the kid from The Princess Bride, so many stories coming out on younger actors more now not that age should matter

I think it's less about defending negative behaviours, more about saying 'yeah, he's owned up to many, many bad behaviours' that the one's he denies, I just tend to believe it. I think on Groundhog Day, it actually got to the point where Harold Ramis physically attacked him because he was sick of Murray's behaviour. (Ramis never lost his cool, so it must have been serious). Nothing #metoo, just very needy and disruptive. He's owned up to that, because of his divorce.

I think his response to the recent behaviour, and accusations, and saying 'I don't want to be an Old Dog who can't learn new tricks' and speaking, personally, to the actress, says quite a bit. Murray admitting he's in the wrong is rare, and he clearly gives a crap. Even at 71, he's still pushing himself to be better.

I just personally believe that we all learn from our mistakes (and I mean jerk behaviour, not Weinstein behaviour). Considering how forthcoming Murray has been, and how open he's been, about his past mess ups, I feel he deserves a chance to prove he's learned from his mistakes.

YMMV, however, so feel free to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I don't really understand the point of all this "discussion" when we don't even know what half of these people are supposed to have done.

I wonder if the firing of Fred Savage is due to allegations that surfaced during the final season of The Wonder Years, when he was a teenager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Bill Murray seems to have a long neck. Just noticed it in the picture above now can’t ‘unsee’ it when I look at any of his pictures.

Never heard of anything like that, where did you read it?

I think we are both sitting in the middle ground if still slightly apart. Your reading of his statement is more lenient than mine but as Tony EH points, it's very difficult to discuss what we don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭santana75

I'm seeing stuff on YouTube about Jared leto apparently being a sexual predator (underage girls). Been going on for years yet he still hasn't been taken to task

James Gunn and Cole Sprouse called him out a while back. Nothing's been done, tbh.

Won't be unless someone calls him out personally.

Dr Strange actress Zara Phythian and husband jailed for combined 22 years for abuse of underage girl

The couple were found guilty of 14 counts of sexual activity with a child after jointly grooming the girl. Phythian has been handed an eight-year sentence, while Marke has been sentenced to 14 years in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I'd say Murray only owned to his bad behaviour on the advice of his PR people.

It's amazing how when people in Hollywood are accused of inappropriate behaviour they play the victim and say they need help dealing with their "problems" etc.

Harvey Weinstein also tried to play the victim when accusations against him first emerged.

• Advertisement

Murray is one of the few Hollywood people who doesn't have a posse or a PR crew. You have to speak directly to him, if you want to hire him. He's notorious for that.

Advertisement