Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo/sexual misconduct scandals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

And what would society at large refer to him as? I used the commonly used term for a person such as that. (I also would not class a 14 year old boy as post pubescent)

Now again, is that all you wish to comment on or the actual point of my comment regarding the assertion that a possible attraction to a boy was a result of being gay?

Again you are changing the question and refusing to answer your sweeping statement which is what I pulled you on the dangerous context and misuse of your words and statements.
    The common use of paedophile is for adults targeting minors, which is the phrase I and everyone would accept in the instance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Now again, is that all you wish to comment on or the actual point of my comment regarding the assertion that a possible attraction to a boy was a result of being gay?

Spacey made no such assertion. You are making this assertion based on your assumption that being a paedophile and being attracted to anyone below the legal age of consent are the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

And what would society at large refer to him as?

A pedo... obviously & rightly so.

Speaking of, when is Bryan Singer being taken down?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Spacey made no such assertion. You are making this assertion based on your assumption that being a paedophile and being attracted to anyone below the legal age of consent are the same thing.

To be fair, Spacey made a serious error of judgement in linking his apology to his coming out publicly. As many LGBT activists and groups have pointed out over the last 24 hours, linking homosexuality and the harassment / abuse of minors is an age-old homophobic falsehood, still unfortunately rolled out by bigots. While undoubtedly a mere misjudgement, Spacey's statement does link the apology and his coming out together by simply bringing the two things together in one short block of text. It is, above all, a poorly worded apology - and honestly I think the initial allegation would not have been amplified or covered to the same extreme had that fumble not been made.

To be fair, Spacey made a serious error of judgement in linking his apology to his coming out publicly. As many LGBT activists and groups have pointed out over the last 24 hours, linking homosexuality and the harassment / abuse of minors is an age-old homophobic falsehood, still unfortunately rolled out by bigots. While undoubtedly a mere misjudgement, Spacey's statement does link the apology and his coming out together by simply bringing the two things together in one short block of text. It is, above all, a poorly worded apology - and honestly I think the initial allegation would not have been amplified or covered to the same extreme had that fumble not been made.

Thank you!!
    Christ but this place can be difficult at times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

He is a depraved sick man who deserves to be jailed for the assault but the statute of limitations for sexual assault is up and he can't even be arrested in this case.

Does the fact that he backed off, as the alleged victim maintains, despite being so pissed that he can't remember, as the alleged perpetrator maintains, not count for anything?

Is this not a case of "No meaning No" being respected?

There's the separate issue of what a 14 year old was doing in the presence of a load of pissed up actors which queers the pitch somewhat. So to speak.

That's not victim blaming. But surely somebody else (adult) should have had some duty of care to the 14 year old to prevent this situation arising.

Does the fact that he backed off, as the alleged victim maintains, despite being so pissed that he can't remember, as the alleged perpetrator maintains, not count for anything?

Is this not a case of "No meaning No" being respected?

There's the separate issue of what a 14 year old was doing in the presence of a load of pissed up actors which queers the pitch somewhat. So to speak.

That's not victim blaming. But surely somebody else (adult) should have had some duty of care to the 14 year old to prevent this situation arising.

Yes he backed off as Rapp said but Rapp still felt it was an unwanted sexual advance and it affected him for the last 30 years of his life.

Does being so pissed excuse the unwanted sexual advance even if Spacey say he can't remember it and backed off when asked?

If Spacey had come out yesterday and said he was an alcoholic instead of being gay and has issues remembering things he does when drinking would that change anything and peoples views on him?

I agree I had asked the the question earlier in the thread where were the parents/guardians of 14 year old Rapp they need to answer some questions on the whole thing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This whole Spacey thing reeks of a bit of a stitch up TBH.

I don't know the full details of the case here, but it sounds like Spacey tried it on with someone at a party, who he probably didn't know the real age of and backed off when he was told no.

There sounds like there's nothing more to this story, except the for the fuel that it gives the media now that the Weinstein thing has given them licence to accuse everyone of something, no matter what it was they were supposed to have done decades ago.

There's a media frenzy at play here and it's almost a sickening as Weinstein himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Just wondering one thing now because I thought it was different before Twitter.

Is everybody guilty now the minute someone points the finger or is there any presumption of innocence until proven guilty anymore?

It's so brave to throw out claims of abuse that are completely impossible to confirm or deny. Especially when they are decades old. What a hero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

pixelburp wrote: »
    Could House of Cards continue without Spacey though? While he's kinda integral, and I gave up after season 2 but from what i understand its race seems a little run at this stage; maybe the focus could shift from Frank if Netflix were determined to drop him.

I think so, make Claire president, she is a better character than Frank imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

It was an incredibly clumsy statement it has to be said. I always thought guys like Spacey would have a team advising him and I'm just amazed no one could see the harm in his words.

This scandal has been riddled with poorly judged words and statements from the beginning, from the bizarre (Woody Allen) to the laughable ([insert random celeb here] unknowingly admitting to knowledge on the subject) to the quite simply inappropriate and damaging (Spacey). You'd wonder if this is a general reflection of the sheer hysteria going on in Hollywood right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Tony EH wrote: »
    This whole Spacey thing reeks of a bit of a stitch up TBH.

I don't know the full details of the case here, but it sounds like Spacey tried it on with someone at a party, who he probably didn't know the real age of and backed off when he was told no.

There sounds like there's nothing more to this story, except the for the fuel that it gives the media now that the Weinstein thing has given them licence to accuse everyone of something, no matter what it was they were supposed to have done decades ago.

There's a media frenzy at play here and it's almost a sickening as Weinstein himself.
    As mentioned numerous times, the statement that Spacey gave is what's added fuel to the fire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Rapp talked about his outrage at the fact that Spacey hadn't come out about his sexuality, had pretended that he was straight and that he was a fraud for doing so. That I believe is why Spacey officially came out as gay in his apology. He was directly responding to Rapp.

That Spacey's statement was misjudged in terms of the response it was likely to receive in the current environment, perhaps, but there's no good way of handling such a statement. The knives are out for Spacey based on the assumption that this was not an isolated incident. As a result, people will take offence at his comments or seek to dissociate themselves from him no matter what he says. It's a function of the fearful environment this sexual misconduct scandal has created.

Production on House of Cards season 6 has now been Suspended indefinitely.

Jeremy Piven the next name.

Jeremy Piven ‘Unequivocally’ Denies Groping Actress
    Jeremy Piven issued a statement on Tuesday to address the recent sexual assault accusations against him. His response follows CBS saying that the network is looking into the situation.

“I unequivocally deny the appalling allegations being peddled about me,” the “Wisdom of the Crowd” actor said. “It did not happen. It takes a great deal of courage for victims to come forward with their histories, and my hope is that the allegations about me that didn’t happen, do not detract from stories that should be heard.”

Actress Ariane Bellamar, a former Playboy Playmate whose TV credits include appearing on the ABC Family unscripted series “Beverly Hills Nannies,” tweeted Monday that Piven groped her years ago on the set of “Entourage” and at the Playboy Mansion.

https://www.thewrap.com/jeremy-piven-sexual-assault-allegations-cbs/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The very bad director Brett Ratner up next. Like Spacey this will not surprise anyone, plenty of stuff out there about him. Its grim reading below.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-brett-ratner-allegations-20171101-htmlstory.html

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tony Montana claiming Spacey groped him in a pub, leaving him with post traumatic stress disorder

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/another-kevin-spacey-accuser-comes-11443565

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

No surprise with Brett Ratner, he's purely in the business to get with beautiful women/stars/wannabe actresses and make money for vomiting out crap. Brian Singer allegations are bound to follow soon as he has a "get in the hot tub with me" attitude to hiring younger actors.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Tony Montana claiming Spacey groped him in a pub, leaving him with post traumatic stress disorder

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/another-kevin-spacey-accuser-comes-11443565

What bollocks.

PTSD. :rolleyes:

People who've been shot at in war zones get PTSD.

Seriously, some of this stuff in the papers is just wretched, for all the wrong reasons. It's just nobody's looking for a bit a limelight - any old limelight - in the wake of the Weinstein accusations.

• Advertisement

Fair play to Piven. Of course, if he did it then eff him, but if it is a false accusation then fair f*cks to him for admitting how hard it is for victims to come forward.

If the accuasations are false, then that woman is a c*nt.

Hollywood really is a House of Cards at the moment.

Dustin Hoffman accused of sexually harassing a teenage intern during 1980s

http://www.thejournal.ie/dustin-hoffman-sexual-harassment-3674320-Nov2017/

This is getting beyond stupid.

Someone famous patted me on the bum and said the word sex in a sentence 3 decades ago.

And now I have PTSD and have to come forward to the press.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Someone famous patted me on the bum and said the word sex in a sentence 3 decades ago.

And now I have PTSD and have to come forward to the press.

You should probably read the whole article. Would you be of the same opinion if someone behaved that way towards your wife/sister/daughter?

And now I have PTSD and have to come forward to the press

It is and its going to get worse. Eye contact will be a crime soon enough! However Spacey is a very dodgy geezer. A friend of mine saw him in action on a first class flight years ago and told me then it was only a matter of time.

AP piece on the difficulty of coming forward. Key part:
    The young woman has decided that for now, she is not. “I’m not Gwyneth or Angelina or Lupita,” she says of some of the most famous women who have accused Weinstein. “I think I deserve to build my career without being linked to Harvey Weinstein every time somebody Googles my name.”

Personally if I was in this situation I don't think I would come forward. People should have a right to privacy and not to be defined by however the media/twitter decide to frame this. Yet many of the victims of Weinstein who don't come forward will now be the subject of whispers or may find themselves forced to come forward by their friends or family, as appeared to happen to Eva Green when her mother took to the airwaves.

Danny Masterson of That 70's Show.

Danny Masterson's Rape Case Has Been Stalled Despite 'Overwhelming' Evidence Against Him

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/danny-masterson-rape-accusations_us_59fa8410e4b01b474048242a

http://perezhilton.com/2017-11-02-danny-masterson-rape-case-stalled

Corey Feldman has named one of his abusers on the Doctor Oz show today in the States

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

AP piece on the difficulty of coming forward. Key part:

Personally if I was in this situation I don't think I would come forward. People should have a right to privacy and not to be defined by however the media/twitter decide to frame this. Yet many of the victims of Weinstein who don't come forward will now be the subject of whispers or may find themselves forced to come forward by their friends or family, as appeared to happen to Eva Green when her mother took to the airwaves.

Wow, hadn't heard about Eva. I always felt her career took a strange career path when she was primed at one point to become a big star.

Not that she hasn't been successful, I mean I loved her in Penny Dreadful, but I always thought it was strange that she ended up, up until very recent memory, having to take dubious roles such as in the Sin City and 300 sequels.

If Weinstein had anything to do with this trajectory then any fleeting sympathy I might of had for him right now is gone. Before anyone jumps on me, when I say sympathy, I mean I never find it comfortable viewing such a public shaming and meltdown. But if this guy actively destroyed the careers of people for rejecting him then **** him, they can flog him on TV for all I care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Someone famous who was in a position of power over me and could make or break my career patted me on the bum and said the word sex in a sentence 3 decades ago while I was working under him.
    Fixed that for you.

This isn't about sex, Tony. It's about the abuse of power and the exploitation of the vulnerable.

Advertisement