Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company Law

Options
  • 07-10-2017 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi There,

I am a director and shareholder in a business which is being run in a manner a no taken in a direction I don't agree with. If I sell up to the other party, can I then establish my own business and compete or does fiduciary duty prohibit me?

Comments

Hi There,

I am a director and shareholder in a business which is being run in a manner a no taken in a direction I don't agree with. If I sell up to the other party, can I then establish my own business and compete or does fiduciary duty prohibit me?

So long as you haven't signed anything to say you won't compete then you can compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

As El Rifle says it depends on what is in the shareholders' agreement on non-compete. Your fiduciary duty stops when you resign. If you do sell out, ensure that you resign your directorship properly and the appropriate B10 form is filed with the CRO. Also, you could be 'on the hook' for 12 months after you leave should the company fail. (The liquidator would have to report to the ODCE all who were directors within the 12 months preceding the liquidation.)

Advertisement