Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Bonus 2017? Will I Be Entitled?

Options
  • 07-10-2017 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi everyone, new here and need some help with something. Back in May I left a course I'd been on for 2 months from the Turas Nua, because I was suffering with horrendous panic, anxiety and severe depression. I was put on Supplementary Welfare Allowance, and have been on it for the past 4 months, and after talking to the Job Center Office, I got a form for Disability Allowance. I had it signed by my doctor, who said it was best for me not to return to work or any courses until my mental state was better. He put my anxiety and panic as severe and I explained everything in the form and sent it off to their offices in Longford about 2 weeks ago now. I'm not sure when you hear back from them.

But I live with my mother at the moment, and I'm worrying about Christmas coming up and the bonus. It's been a little less than 2 years since I finished my job, and I've only received one bonus last Christmas, but it really helped after I didn't have the money from my job, so now I am confused as to what will happen this year? As I'm on supplementary welfare allowance and awaiting to hear about my Disability claim, I'm not sure if I will receive a Christmas bonus this year?

Sorry, I'm not use to any of this, it's all very new, I've never been on supplementary welfare allowance, or had to claim disability. It's very heartbreaking, but I knew my mental health was suffering so I had to stop. I've lost a lot of friends because of it, no social life, and only my mother as company, so it's a real struggle, but we always look forward to Christmas as it's a time when we can not worry or feel stressed by everything else going on in our life.

If anyone knows any information, please let me know, it's just so I can prepare before Christmas, if I'm not entitled to a bonus, I have time to try and save what little I have. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

In the past you would only qualify for the christmas bonus if youve been on SWA for over 15 months.
    The same with most other qualifying payments. My husband was on JSA for 12 months and didnt qualify last year.

So I would say that most likely to not get your hopes up as only being on swa 5-6 months in november will mean you are not entitled to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

No reason you shouldn't get it. You got it last year and the payment you continued to receive while spending the time on the Turas Nua course, plus the Supplementary Welfare Allowance you are now receiving are both qualifying payments and all linked together for your eligibility for the Christmas Bonus. The best way to put your mind at ease about it is to call into the SW office. They should be able to confirm to you from a glance at your computer records. Or you could call into the Citizens Information for their assistance.

Sorry that things are so difficult right now. Make sure you contact the local health centre http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/LHO/ and see what help is available, including support groups. And don't forget the St Vincent de Paul https://www.svp.ie/Get-Help/Contact-your-local-office.aspx They help make Christmas easier for a lot of people. Wishing you all the very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BrigidCooley

Balagan wrote: »
    No reason you shouldn't get it. You got it last year and the payment you continued to receive while spending the time on the Turas Nua course, plus the Supplementary Welfare Allowance you are now receiving are both qualifying payments and all linked together for your eligibility for the Christmas Bonus. The best way to put your mind at ease about it is to call into the SW office. They should be able to confirm to you from a glance at your computer records. Or you could call into the Citizens Information for their assistance.

Sorry that things are so difficult right now. Make sure you contact the local health centre and see what help is available, including support groups. And don't forget the St Vincent de Paul They help make Christmas easier for a lot of people. Wishing you all the very best.

Thank you for getting back to me. I will go in next week to ask what the situation is as I'm not use to any of this, it's all new so that is probably my best bet to ask in the office. Yeah, things have not been easy, and I just want to be prepared now before the whole chaos of Christmas begins; for me and my mother. Yeah, all I know is that I was on Jobseeker's since November 2015, got bonus that year, then got bonus in 2016. Was sent letter saying I was joining Turas Nua, I think that was February or March, then was put on a course mid March, and had to leave near end of May due to my anxiety and panic attacks. My depression was worsening by that stage as well. So, since beginning of June I've been on Supplementary Welfare Allowance, and was told a few weeks ago, that I had to either sign back on JSA or sign a disability form. Went doctor, asked him what I should do, and he said I wasn't fit for work, so decided to go fill out the form, he signed it all and sent it to the Longford office. That was over 2 weeks ago now.

I don't know how long these things take, but someone mentioned I wouldn't get any Christmas bonus this year if I were still on SWA by then, so it got me worried, as it helps with heating for the house, electricity over the Christmas, and for extra food.

Thank you, really appreciate your help, very kind of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Disability allowance takes quite a while to get a reply from, 2 weeks is nothing so don't worry that you haven't heard back.

Wait until after the budget on Tuesday before calling in and asking about your Christmas bonus because no one knows until then if there is definitely one at all or who it's for, after that it'll be clearer.

Advertisement