Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

saw a strange looking light aircraft

Options
  • 07-10-2017 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

i may well be /certainly am out of my depth here, but here goes

today over Dundalk i saw a strange looking light aircraft ,moving slowly

thw wing seemed uniform in width, measured front to back was the same all the way across.. at first i thought it was an ancient bi plane.

there may have been two engines, certainly from my view there was something under the lhs wing

the tail was a strange looking sticky up thing

eejit i am not, but would not be offended if called one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

was it making any noise? Drones won't make any, modern microlights will hardly be heard.. then depending on the pitch of the noise we could guess the vintage - old radial engines have deep thundery noise, lycommings and continentals will give a higher pitch.. a twin engine might have a beat noise (going like "wowowowow")

from the description we have, it can be anything between childs toy to a cessna 172 on floats and anything in between.. also what's so strange about a tail that's sticking up? was it V shaped?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

thank you both for your replies
    endacl
    the number of options you showed bamboozled me, i reckon the wing was on top of the craft

martinsvi

i was driving and did not hear the noise of the engine

• Registered Users Posts: 49 bernsy

Google VOR calibration services aircraft and have a look at the images. Was it this, its being doing work in Ireland.all.week

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭travist

bernsy wrote: »
    Google VOR calibration services aircraft and have a look at the images. Was it this, its being doing work in Ireland.all.week

Was it this? VOR05. Flight calibration services. Dub to cork. Flying around at this hour making noise.

• Advertisement

thank you bernsie and travist, google did not get me close but lots of vor references

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Possibly the Tellus aerial survey aircraft.....have a look here:

http://www.tellus.ie/airborne-survey/airborne-survey-faqs/

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

rugbyman wrote: »
    thank you bernsie and travist, google did not get me close but lots of vor references

Try searching photos of Diamond DA42, that’s the aircraft being used for those calibration flights lately

faoiarvok

dont think it was that,thanks

ex aisle

that is similiar, in that it has the wing{s} overhead, twin engines, because looking from the rear lhs i saw what appeared to be an engine on /under the wing and sure enough those engines are smallish. but i do not think it had that long a body

the blurb on your link does not mention Louth as yet

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

http://www.military.ie/air-corps/fleet/pbn-defender/

Straight wing with uniform thickness
    Twin engines
    Gawky tail fin...

Beardy SI

very likely

thank you