Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maternity leave

Options
  • 07-10-2017 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    I'm just wondering if anyone could help me here on maternity leave. Just found out a few days ago I'll be due in May so wondering if anyone might know my best options, to leave earlier than two weeks before or not...Read the asti guidelines so know the basics..just wondering what might be best timing..I realise most of my mat leave will be during the summer..appreciate any advice..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Every week is precious with new baby! Leave when you have to.....1ish week before you are due ;)
    You count to Saturday after your due date then go back 2 Saturdays then go forward to the following Monday. That's the day you start your maternity leave. It sounds very confusing but if you sit down with a calendar it will make sense. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kaza17

thanks so much for getting back Millem. Was finding it hard to get my head around but that makes sense now:-)

You fill out new maternity form yourself. If you are due on a Monday you only need to go 7 days before ;)
    You will need a cert from a doctor confirming due date with is only for your school to keep as you write a letter to your BOM informing them you will be going on mat leave on x day.

Also you can take unpaid leave directly after your maternity leave. You take that in single days so say you could finish that on a Friday say before Xmas holidays and then get paid for Xmas holidays and start parental leave. You take parental leave in 7 day blocks. Once you stop your 16 weeks unpaid you can't restart it....if that makes sense?
    I am on maternity leave at the moment and plan on only using a few days of unpaid leave as I want to get paid for easter holidays....,then I will go on parental leave ;) you get 18 weeks per child. You need to ask your BOM permission for parental. Unpaid is granted automatically ;)

Advertisement