Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil based paint for front door from Munster Joinery

• 07-10-2017 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭

We recently got a new front door from Munster joinery, we were told to paint it within 6 months with an oil based paint. Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation of what brand to use? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

We got timber windows from MJ and they recommended Sikkens paint. It was expensive but was lovely paint to use, went on well. I think it was oil based. I got it in Pat McDonnell Paints in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Thestones wrote:
    We recently got a new front door from Munster joinery, we were told to paint it within 6 months with an oil based paint. Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation of what brand to use? Thanks

Doesn't have to be oil based.

We have an MJ door, got lovely results from a water based paint. Your best bet is to go to your local DIY store and ask for advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Thestones

tedpan wrote: »
    Doesn't have to be oil based.

We have an MJ door, got lovely results from a water based paint. Your best bet is to go to your local DIY store and ask for advice.

MJ said because it's sprayed with a water based paint in production that it needs to be oil based paint otherwise it won't wear well? I can't remember exactly what the guy said but the impression I got is that it wouldn't weather well with our cold wet weather.

We got timber windows from MJ and they recommended Sikkens paint. It was expensive but was lovely paint to use, went on well. I think it was oil based. I got it in Pat McDonnell Paints in Cork.

Brilliant thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Quick bump. Got composite door from mj 2 years ago. Never painted it. Does it need primer first or what type of paint.

• Advertisement

I just gently sanded and painted straight on, no primer. Looks perfect.

composite doors need oil based paint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭whizbang

Composite doors dont need any paint.

Rang munster joinery and got through to a lady who said any hardwood just needs light sanding and painting straight on. No primer needed. Wasn't sure was she correct so asked her twice about composite and she said same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Why paint a composite door unless you're unhappy with the colour you originally picked out.

Timber door are a different matter as the timber require protection from the harsh Irish weather.

• Advertisement

Just thought i had to paint it and woman on phone kept on about painting hardwood door and lightly sanding it, she hadnt the best English so could have misunderstood me. Have few v small chips in it that i should maybe fill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

I know very little about Composite Doors (I'm about to get one fitted this week) but I thought one of the selling points of going away from timber doors is that you don't need to paint them.

As for chips appearing on your door, unless you know what caused them I'd be asking the provider why they occurred. They're supposed to be pretty tough doors.

Ah just paint chips, v small and hardly noticeable. Prob shouldnt be happening though.

Advertisement