Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post accident renewal

Options
  • 07-10-2017 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hey,

My insurance is up in November and after having a crash earlier in the year, which was entirely my fault, I'm going to be looking at a sizeable premium. Being a student it's looking increasingly unlikely that I'll be able to keep on top of payments.

So my question is, do I need to renew as soon as the policy ends or can I delay it? As in, I'll be on placement from March of next year onwards at which point I will need it and will likely be able to afford it seeing as I'll be working.

Does delaying it as mentioned above lead to problems down the line/an even higher premium?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Airsoftt wrote: »
    Hey,

My insurance is up in November and after having a crash earlier in the year, which was entirely my fault, I'm going to be looking at a sizeable premium. Being a student it's looking increasingly unlikely that I'll be able to keep on top of payments.

So my question is, do I need to renew as soon as the policy ends or can I delay it? As in, I'll be on placement from March of next year onwards at which point I will need it and will likely be able to afford it seeing as I'll be working.

Does delaying it as mentioned above lead to problems down the line/an even higher premium?

Many thanks.

My understanding of motor insurance policies is that most of them are annual contracts i.e. 12 months periods of contract from one renewal to the next.

If you do not renew, at renewal date, the policy may well lapse automatically.

The only thing that occurs to me is to ask the insurers if they would be prepared to suspend the policy. I don't know if this can be done but it would cost nothing to ask.

Advertisement