Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Independent.ie Comments not allowed now

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Good riddance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Below the line commentary on independent.ie was dross, barely a step above YouTube. No loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Obviously someone doesn’t like hearing what the great unwashed thinks. Shame, really. Thank goodness for Boards.ie.

It really isn't a shame. Comments sections rarely foster a rational and measured debate because the moderators are both unseen, meaning that they can't engage with the discussion to keep things in order, and the type of response is often either an extreme view one way or the other, or simply abuse which wouldn't last a few minutes on here before attracting a ban.

They serve very little useful purpose.

Boards on the other hands is by no means perfect but you are hundreds of times more likely to get a meaningful debate. Even in AH. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

delighted that the commentary was removed...if you were to follow the comments on indo, you would find that they were incredibly biased towards the views the indo wanted you to have...if your comment clashed with their viewpoint, they wouldn't publish it! I would understand if a comment wasnt published if it had bad language or hate speech, but they just wouldnt publish certain comments for no valid reason!!its an incredibly biased trash paper, better off reading irish times or bbc website for world news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

LillySV wrote: »
    delighted that the commentary was removed...if you were to follow the comments on indo, you would find that they were incredibly biased towards the views the indo wanted you to have...if your comment clashed with their viewpoint, they wouldn't publish it! I would understand if a comment wasnt published if it had bad language or hate speech, but they just wouldnt publish certain comments for no valid reason!!its an incredibly biased trash paper, better off reading irish times or bbc website for world news

I must disagree, they consistently published the comments of the Shinnerbots and left wing nutters.

Any article on SF or the banks was full of pointless and diversionary comments from the battalions of Gerry's shinnerbots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Define irony.

A Denis O'Brien owned propaganda outlet disabling comments because of Ireland's draconian libel laws.

Jesus wept.

Benildus wrote: »
    I must disagree, they consistently published the comments of the Shinnerbots and left wing nutters.

Any article on SF or the banks was full of pointless and diversionary comments from the battalions of Gerry's shinnerbots.

And plenty of articles about Irish water and it's siteserv contracts had the comments disabled.

Paul Melia was rightly often referred to as "Irish Waters Paul Melia - the man did so much shilling for them.

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    And plenty of articles about Irish water and it's siteserv contracts had the comments disabled.

Paul Melia was rightly often referred to as "Irish Waters Paul Melia - the man did so much shilling for them.

The only people with that opinion were Paul 'rent a mob' Murphy and his "no way we won't pay' brigade...

The only people with that opinion were Paul 'rent a mob' Murphy and his "no way we won't pay' brigade...

What opinion?

• Advertisement

What opinion?

"Irish Waters Paul Melia"

"Irish Waters Paul Melia"

Paul Murphy refers to him this way:confused:

Have you a link?

Or can we just take it that you're of the assumption that anyone that spoke or speaks out about the disgraceful waste of money that was ploughed into Irish Water belongs to the Paul Murphy school of thought?

Of course that's why the govt abandoned its plans for water charges, it was due to the actions and protests of the <5% of electorate that vote for Paul and his pals.

Lol

Paul Murphy refers to him this way:confused:

Have you a link?

Or can we just take it that you're of the assumption that anyone that spoke or speaks out about the disgraceful waste of money that was ploughed into Irish Water belongs to the Paul Murphy school of thought?

Of course that's why the govt abandoned its plans for water charges, it was due to the actions and protests of the <2% of electorate that vote for Paul and his pals.

Lol

What are you talking about? why should I supply a link, you're the one who brought it up.

You really seem to be missing the comments section of independent.ie. Maybe go to reddit where you can post without fear of being banned.

What are you talking about? why should I supply a link, you're the one who brought it up.
    I don't think you get how these forums work. You ascribed something to a TD in the Dail, not me.
    Hence me requiring a link. Keep up.
    You really seem to be missing the comments section of independent.ie. Maybe go to reddit where you can post without fear of being banned.

I don't believe I ever commented on an independent article before tbh. I prefer to call out people here who can be openly challenged to back up their claims.

Something you seem to be unable or unwilling to do. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

Not sure if the banning of comments is fully to do with libel laws, if at all.

I think it's to protect the authors of certain articles. For example, a story of Jade, a gym cleaner who lost weight appeared in 2015, this was "written" by Patricia Murphy.https://amp.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/health-features/irish-woman-21-loses-a-whopping-8-stone-after-taking-a-job-as-a-cleaner-in-a-gym-31088300.html

The exact same story appeared TWO years later in the same paper, this time the article is "written" by Denise Smith. http://m.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/health-features/i-just-had-to-face-facts-that-i-was-fat-jade-23-sheds-9st-after-taking-cleaning-job-in-a-gym-35969344.html

I remembered the story very well And questioned how it was written two years later, re hashed and named by another journalist. My comment wasn't approved.

Advertisement