Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lotto draw screw up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

What eagle eyed hawk picked this up??

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

This looks KPMG'd. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few KPMG's in my time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

38 was the draw number. The rest of the numbers are 38, but that one clearly shows 33

Maybe, no idea though, it’s a ball manufacturing defect and 33 printed instead of 38.... but, lotto should be 100% spot on to prevent amateur hour mistakes like this....

Didn't something similar happen a fee years back
    Anyone remember the details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's 33 shown as a portion of the number, no doubts or light tricks. How in the jaysus can an organisation who signs off on the draw approve this joke of a draw? I demand my €3 back along with €3.6 million in compo.

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/lotto-1251/10785851/

• Advertisement

I thought this was just a hoax but watched the draw back and it's a 33 on the 38 ball without a doubt. But if you watch the draw it's a 38 and then it just turns into a 33 it makes no sense.

I thought this was just a hoax but watched the draw back and it's a 33 on the 38 ball without a doubt. But if you watch the draw it's a 38 and then it just turns into a 33 it makes no sense.
    Conspiracy Theories forum ---->

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It is a stupid mistake.
    But businesses blow themselves out. Talking a big game about being experts, professionalism, quality control, blah blah :p

These balls were created. No one in the factory spotted the mistake. The balls weren't inspected by Lotto despite them saying they take great measures. You know yourself. All a joke.

Hoover once had a marketing promotion in the UK in 1992 that offered 2x free flights to America or Europe for anyone who bought a product worth £100 or more. They didn't anticipate the demand and the fact these plane tickets cost a lot more than £100 pounds was asking to be a problem. They initially just wanted to get rid of old stock, hence the promotion.
    People started to buy the cheapest model at £119 and they had to make the factory workers work over-time to supply the demand. In the end they made around 30 million but the cost of plane tickets cost 50 million.
    Not to mention they over-saturated the market with cheap Hoover products that people were selling for dirt cheap in markets and magazines.

You would be surprised how stupid a collection of people can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Surprised to see one of the Big 4 involved in yet another controversy. 3 of them excluding Deloitte are notorious for cock-ups.

It is a stupid mistake.
    But businesses blow themselves out. Talking a big game about being experts, professionalism, quality control, blah blah :p

These balls were created. No one in the factory spotted the mistake. The balls weren't inspected by Lotto despite them saying they take great measures. You know yourself. All a joke.
    Moonlight REALLY are the winners!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

It is a stupid mistake.

Hoover once had a marketing promotion in the UK in 1992 that offered 2x free flights to America or Europe for anyone who bought a product worth £100 or more. They didn't anticipate the demand and the fact these plane tickets cost a lot more than £100 pounds was asking to be a problem. They initially just wanted to get rid of old stock, hence the promotion.
    People started to buy the cheapest model at £119 and they had to make the factory workers work over-time to supply the demand. In the end they made around 30 million but the cost of plane tickets cost 50 million.
    Not to mention they over-saturated the market with cheap Hoover products that people were selling for dirt cheap in markets and magazines.

Dafuq?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's just the light shining on the ball. With every ball that came out it nudged the 38 ball until the 38 turn to a 33 as it hit the light and reflected.
    It's was an optional delusion .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Dafuq?

Maybe I should have worded it better? :p

But short story is: You hear so much about quality control, checks, etc. It's all wa*k. It's all bollocks :pac:
    Lotto love going on about all the checks and procedures they have in place to stop this. But no one person spotted this. From the company who made it, to the person with the clip board inspecting to the randomer who places the balls in the drum.

My post was just about how even the biggest of things make stupid mistakes. The hoover example being one of the biggest companies in the world making such a school boy blunder. Same as this lotto mistake. You think someone would simply check the balls as they loaded them into the machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's just the light shining on the ball. With every ball that came out it nudged the 38 ball until the 38 turn to a 33 as it hit the light and reflected.
    It's was an optional delusion .

Aurora Borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely in this TV studio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Aurora Borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely in this TV studio?

It's just the Northern lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

longshanks wrote: »
    It's just the Northern lights.

It's Montrose, so it's the Southern Lights :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Haha cool, look at the 45 next to it.. The light/shadow is starting to do strange invisible stuff to that as well lol..
    NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG MOVE ALONG....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Haha cool, look at the 45 next to it.. The light/shadow is starting to do strange invisible stuff to that as well lol.. NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG MOVE ALONG....

Not in a month of Sundays does that look like an obscured 38. Look at the 33 in the bowl, that clearly looks like a 3 rather than an 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Surly the easiest solution is to just pay out on both 33 and 38?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Can I see it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Screenshot

So you're saying that I actually won????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

There are also two #14 balls in the upper drum (or is that just a reflection?)

I'd say the only way a draw like that could be rigged, is if some of the balls were weighted or magnetised :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

thomasj wrote: »
    Screenshot

From that screenshot it does look like the light is shining on the ball

When you zoom in, you can see the length of the space is different between the two threes, so it's definitely an optical illusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

jamesbere wrote: »
    Can I see it?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Uh oh... There's a 1 in 10,700,000 chance they'll have to pay out a second jackpot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

It is a stupid mistake.

You don't have to go abroad to find a f**k up like that....a few years ago, some genius in the (Irish) Lotto came up with the idea that anybody getting four numbers was guaranteed to collect £100....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/how-a-secret-syndicate-managed-to-buy-the-lotto-35981173.html

Zoomed in. When you compare the two, there's a difference between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

429987.jpg

Just the lighting. Move along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

When you zoom in, you can see the length of the space is different between the two threes, so it's definitely an optical illusion.

Yep, there's a circular shine on the 38 that makes it look like a 33. You can see the same shine on the 44 and 45 balls, though its less noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As several others have said - it's just a light glare in the right spot. You can see it happening for the 45 ball too.

Everywhere else on the ball is 38 so I don't see what the huffing is about. Do people actually think someone at Lotto would change one number on a ball? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Looks very like 33 but an 8 can look like a 3 quite easily. The moved along still there seems to clear it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Hah! Poor KPMG. They should had have checked the lighting. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Zoomed in. When you compare the two, there's a difference between them.

Enhance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Back and to the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

To think that this is anything other than lighting, shadow, reflection, illusion etc etc is hilarious.. Looks cool tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

To think that this is anything other than lighting, shadow, reflection, illusion etc etc is hilarious.. Looks cool tho

why? Could easily have been a ball that was printed faulty for whatever reason, maybe the printing failed to finish the 8 on one side.

I mean a white spot light so bright that it hides black ink, thats pretty unusual.

Until our expert IT forensic department enhanced the image nobody could be sure what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

why? Could easily have been a ball that was printed faulty for whatever reason, maybe the printing failed to finish the 8 on one side.

I mean a white spot light so bright that it hides black ink, thats pretty unusual.

Until our expert IT forensic department enhanced the image nobody could be sure what happened.

Baloney. Every other shot of the ball shows it is perfect. It's the light, as you can see from 'missing' parts of numbers on other balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

More than likely an honest mistake but in a country rife with corruption, brown envelopes and who not what you know nothing would surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d imagine there are RFID tags or something in the balls so it automatically knows what came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    More than likely an honest mistake but in a country rife with corruption, brown envelopes and who not what you know nothing would surprise me.

What honest mistake, apart from your own, do you think has happend here?

Or are you AGAIN seeing what you want to see?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

May I see it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It's clearly the light reflecting on the 8 making it look like a 3. Now if one number was 33 and the rest 37 or something ye may have a point. You can see the same dot of light on the ball beside it.
    I don't care anyway because I didn't win either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'm glad we've graduated from the colour of a dress to the number on a lottery ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Look at the last ball in the row the 46, it has a white dot on it most likely caused by glare, it's the same on the 38 ball which is making it look like a 33.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Baloney. Every other shot of the ball shows it is perfect. It's the light, as you can see from 'missing' parts of numbers on other balls.

Every other shot is not relevant here. The only information we got from the OP is the picture. And it is indeed an unusual effect of the light, but the glare isn't clear at all from the one picture we were asked to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭mr_cochise

It is clearly an optical illusion. Perhaps the title of the thread should be changed to Lotto watchers screw up.

Lotto don't need to rig the way the balls come out. Statistically, everything favours them from the start. They are already on a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Every other shot is not relevant here. The only information we got from the OP is the picture. And it is indeed an unusual effect of the light, but the glare isn't clear at all from the one picture we were asked to discuss.

Of course other shots are relevant, as they show the same ball in the same position, with all numbers clearly correct. And the glare is obvious on two of the other balls were part of the numbers appear to be missing. But, carry on ; life's too short...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Conclusion: Caused by directional (spot) lighting:

Screen_Shot_2017-10-08_at_15.11.06.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement