Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving job during maternity

Options
  • 08-10-2017 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi, I work in Dublin and would like to move home (4 hours away) to have/ shortly after having my baby. If I work right up to my maternity leave begins but also give my notice to leave will I still get paid maternity? I'm not too sure how to do this as there are no jobs available at home to move now so this is the only way I can think of is to keep working down here for as long as possible so I can save money. Any advice? Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Yes from the state. Not from your employer obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

This all depends on your long term plans but You are entitled to your holidays and bank holidays that accrue during you’re maternity leave. These could be taken as paid time off at the end of your maternity leave. I don’t think you’d get this pay if you hand in your leave when you start your maternity leave. You could hand in notice closer to the end of your maternity and give your leaving date as the 6 months state maternity plus accrued bank holiday plus your annual leave. You could also take the 4 months unpaid leave which would give you more holidays and bank holidays though this time would be unpaid so that obviously would depend on whether or not it suited your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

If I were you, I would work up to your maternity leave. Say nothing about your plans to leave, and take your full entitlement of unpaid leave as well. Then get paid for holidays and bank holidays at the end of that.
    See how you go, you can be keeping an eye out for a new job, or maybe you could negotiate a shorter working week or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Same. If it was me I'd work up to maternity leave, go and consider my position when I'm off. Remember you don't have to work up to the two weeks before, I think you can take leave 16 weeks before so if you want to go early you can, without quitting

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes I did it.It wasn't quite so planned but I ended up changing jobs towards the end of my unpaid leave.A better offer just came along closer to home and I couldn't pass it up.
    You won't get paid leave from your current company if you hand in your notice during the first six months.You will still get the state payment up to the 24 weeks, and that's it then.So it's up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭shellib

Thanks everyone, that information helps a lot :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

shesty wrote: »
    Yes I did it.It wasn't quite so planned but I ended up changing jobs towards the end of my unpaid leave.A better offer just came along closer to home and I couldn't pass it up.
    You won't get paid leave from your current company if you hand in your notice during the first six months.You will still get the state payment up to the 24 weeks, and that's it then.So it's up to you.

I did this too actually- though I changed jobs after my paid leave, and started my unpaid leave from a new job. I got paid for hols, bank hols in my last pay check

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I ended up switching jobs post maternity leave. My leave wasn't paid by my employer so that didn't come into it, that would come down to your personal terms and conditions I think.

I took the full 42 weeks, then handed in my notice. They then had to pay me accrued holidays and bank holidays which also counted towards notice. I effectively took my leave in lieu of notice.

Advertisement