Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License from abroad.

Options
  • 08-10-2017 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, strange question but hoping someone might know a solution.

So basically got my car license in Ireland ten years ago, moved to New Zealand, had to trade it in to get a NZ one and be Road legal. Since then though I got a bike license, first a learners then a resticted(it's a 3 tier system in NZ). So the way it works in NZ is you can do your full bike test straight after you get your restricted but you cannot actually get a full license until you have your restricted one year.
    So if I was in NZ in April I could simply go into AA and swap my restricted for a full.

So my question really is now that I'm returning to Ireland on a restricted NZ, what will happen when I have to trade it for an Irish one? Ideally they give me a full car and bike license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

NDLS states here that Car and Motorcycle are the only classes recognised for exchange from NZ.

It sounds like you may get an A2 licence, do IBT Module 5 after 6 months, and get a full A licence.

Maybe...... You'll really have to ring them to find out.

xT4IX8t.png

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Restricted licences are not recognised by NDLS for exchange purposes. So it seems you will get you original Irish entitlement and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 carolmary

Hi there OP,

Just wondering if you got this sorted?

Here's my story that might help/forewarn other NZer's here in Ireland:

I had all sorts of dramas going though the process in Ireland with my NZ licence. Got there in the end, but it wasn't pleasant. In NZ, my GREEN car licence was changed to a BLUE one when I got the MB learners added. NZ has both categories (Full Car, Learners Motorbike) on the one physical licence. Then I decide to come to Ireland.

When it was time in Ireland to exchange my licence I knew I had to start again with the motorbike process and that was fine, but I needed to get the car licence exchanged (so I diverge from the purpose of the thread a little now). The one physical blue licence really confused the NDLS here in Ireland.

They were expecting two licences (green one for the car, blue learner's permit type for the bike) and were convinced that I didn't have a full car licence, because of the blue colour, and even though it was endorsed Class 1, 6L (for Full Car, Motorbike learner). I had to request from NZTA a 'Certificate of Particulars' confirming my licence status.

Even that didn't convince the NDLS bloke at the counter on my third trip to see them about this. He demanded a green licence for the car to match up with the picture in their book. Grrrrr. Then my guardian angel stepped in. Another NDLS guy nearby overheard, informed the bloke that he had a flatmate who has the same blue NZ licence as me (full car, learner bike), and said mine was legit. Happy days! Hallelujah, praise flatmates! Finally the NDLS accepted the exchange.

All ended well, but this whole process, back and forth, took about 3 months.

Not sure what could be done to avoid the problems I had apart from never leave NZ with a blue licence if you already have a car licence.

Oh, and I've have the Full Motorbike endorsement now.... Well worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Goose81

carolmary wrote: »
    Hi there OP,

Just wondering if you got this sorted?

Here's my story that might help/forewarn other NZer's here in Ireland:

I had all sorts of dramas going though the process in Ireland with my NZ licence. Got there in the end, but it wasn't pleasant. In NZ, my GREEN car licence was changed to a BLUE one when I got the MB learners added. NZ has both categories (Full Car, Learners Motorbike) on the one physical licence. Then I decide to come to Ireland.

When it was time in Ireland to exchange my licence I knew I had to start again with the motorbike process and that was fine, but I needed to get the car licence exchanged (so I diverge from the purpose of the thread a little now). The one physical blue licence really confused the NDLS here in Ireland.

They were expecting two licences (green one for the car, blue learner's permit type for the bike) and were convinced that I didn't have a full car licence, because of the blue colour, and even though it was endorsed Class 1, 6L (for Full Car, Motorbike learner). I had to request from NZTA a 'Certificate of Particulars' confirming my licence status.

Even that didn't convince the NDLS bloke at the counter on my third trip to see them about this. He demanded a green licence for the car to match up with the picture in their book. Grrrrr. Then my guardian angel stepped in. Another NDLS guy nearby overheard, informed the bloke that he had a flatmate who has the same blue NZ licence as me (full car, learner bike), and said mine was legit. Happy days! Hallelujah, praise flatmates! Finally the NDLS accepted the exchange.

All ended well, but this whole process, back and forth, took about 3 months.

Not sure what could be done to avoid the problems I had apart from never leave NZ with a blue licence if you already have a car licence.

Oh, and I've have the Full Motorbike endorsement now.... Well worth it :)

Not that good ,you've now got a full motorcycle license without doing any of our mandatory lessons or tests or new Zealand's.

I'm sure NZ is better than the states but I don't want anyone whos done a half assed test being on the road, they are a danger to me in the car or on the bike.

Not trying to bring a downer but we have our tests for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Goose81 wrote: »
    Not that good ,you've now got a full motorcycle license without doing any of our mandatory lessons or tests or new Zealand's.
    I think you've misread the post. The hassle was about retaining the full car license, not the bike bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

NZ actually has a very good graduated licensing policy since 1987.

http://www.ridertraining.co.nz/573.html

But anyway carolmary was talking about the car license exchange, not getting a Motorcycle license without training here.

Advertisement