Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why does America have so many cases of student-teacher relationships?

• 08-10-2017 1:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭

Just watch recent YouTube videos or browse through the US versions of Yahoo News and you'll see a story of a 20-30 something attractive teacher that slept with 10 of their male students and just got a slap on the wrist.

I suppose the two obvious factors would be the large population along with the sensationalism but I'm leaning more towards culture. It seems like a rising trend in the UK which over the recent years you could say has started emulating the trash of the US.

UK Teacher Given 16 Months Over 'Full Blown' Relationship

Teacher From Bristol Has Drunken Sex With Student On A Plane

The real question I'm getting to is why doesn't Ireland have this? Our culture seems to be a clone of the UK in many ways. It can't be that we have one of the highest ages of consent can it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well first of all I can tell you from living in England that Ireland has a different culture from the UK. Not better, not worse, just different. I'm not sure why this happens anywhere TBH. It can be quite damaging to the kids involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Uosdwis R. Dewoh

Population I guess. The more people, the more instances. It probably does happen here but so little. Although I guess you could argue it'd be heard about here, given it's so small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Probably has happened somewhere in ireland....I think there was a case in the 70s involving a nun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭nigel_wilson

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I'm not sure why this happens anywhere TBH. It can be quite damaging to the kids involved.

If you read nearly any online comments on a female teacher having sex with a male student from an news article, YouTube, Twitter etc..there is an overwhelming mindset among males of "lucky kid!" or "Damn! Where were these teachers when I was in school!". Meanwhile the reverse (male teacher and female student) would garner a much angry reaction.

I think the attitude among a lot of people is probably what contributes to this indirectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

It does happen here. Happened in my school anyway.
    And at least one e other school in the town.
    Nobody complains then nothing happens so it goes no further. When it's boy and teacher you will never hear a complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think most of us have heard about this happening in Ireland but the guys I have heard of being involved were generally happy about it and wouldn't land the teacher in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Well, technically the Christian Brother schools had lots of student-teacher relationships...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The real question I'm getting to is why doesn't Ireland have this? Our culture seems to be a clone of the UK in many ways. It can't be that we have one of the highest ages of consent can it?

It's nothing to do with the age of consent, and the change in culture is more the fact that children and their parents are more willing nowadays to make a complaint to the authorities, whereas before, they weren't. That's why nowadays you're not just seeing more male teachers being held accountable for inappropriate relations with students, but you're also seeing a rise in the numbers of female teachers being held accountable for their actions too. The actions of either gender are no longer being swept under the carpet to the degree that they were in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Nice....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Nice....

Nice....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Irish Teachers and Students are so ugly ..none of them fancy each other.

Nice....

NICE

Try 3volution from Ambi Pur!....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Nice....

Niiiiice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Setting aside the responsible comments regarding how it would be damaging to the students etc., I would have gave anything to be balls deep in my history teacher circa 2002.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The US has a population of 323m. Everything that happens here happens more there.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Setting aside the responsible comments regarding how it would be damaging to the students etc., I would have gave anything to be balls deep in my history teacher circa 2002.

I wonder if this is the same for women who were once teen girls in secondary school. Did they and do they still have sexual thoughts about male teachers?

I wonder if this is the same for women who were once teen girls in secondary school. Did they and do they still have sexual thoughts about male teachers?

I'm sure some do but there is quite an obvious difference between the sexes in that regard at that age generally speaking.

There would even be a difference between the males involved of course. It could be seriously damaging to some males. I would have loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It does happen in Ireland. There's a woman in the town I live in who lost her job in a secondary gaelscoil for sleeping with a student. It didn't go to court as far as I know but she's not allowed to teach anymore

It does happen in Ireland. There's a woman in the town I live in who lost her job in a secondary gaelscoil for sleeping with a student. It didn't go to court as far as I know but she's not allowed to teach anymore

How old was she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Uosdwis R. Dewoh

Big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Niiiice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Those young fellas must have thought all their Christmases came (no pun intended) at once when a good looking woman in her 20/30s wanted to give them a BJ and shag them.

All we had to look at when I was in school was a nun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Pac1Man wrote: »

He must have been a real hottie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

How old was she?
    She's about 39 now so I'd say late 20s at a guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

In Texas you have to stay in school until 19 maybe that explains some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

I know of two teachers alone in my former secondary school who were sleeping with (then) current students, and that's without even digging deeper to get more current information. So God only knows what is going on behind closed doors across the country.

Neither was reprimanded though, although it was common knowledge at the time. This was late 90's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Niiiiice

Damn It, Where were all these sexed up teachers when i was in school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

seriously though, niiice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

None of this happened before Van Halen released "Hot For Teacher". Blame them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

It happened in Ireland about 27 years ago, and nobody found out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Wonder why it happens so much. LIke would it not deter you seeing how many teachers have gotten prison sentences or ruined reps or at the very least lost their jobs and couldnt teach again.
    Are these 15 year old boys worth it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If you read nearly any online comments on a female teacher having sex with a male student from an news article, YouTube, Twitter etc..there is an overwhelming mindset among males of "lucky kid!" or "Damn! Where were these teachers when I was in school!". Meanwhile the reverse (male teacher and female student) would garner a much angry reaction.

I think the attitude among a lot of people is probably what contributes to this indirectly.

i think you'll find most comments say "niiiice" which is a southpark reference of a satirical nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

mzungu wrote: »
    None of this happened before Van Halen released "Hot For Teacher". Blame them.

that drumbeat

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    Wonder why it happens so much. LIke would it not deter you seeing how many teachers have gotten prison sentences or ruined reps or at the very least lost their jobs and couldnt teach again.

How many instances do you know (without jumping on to google now) of secondary school teachers who have been convicted for having sex with a student?

Apart from assuming this stuff goes on...
    Are these 15 year old boys worth it..

Some people like plucking 'cherries'. Never saw the appeal myself, but then, there are plenty of odd sexual fantasies out there that make little sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The reaction from society to such cases certainly doesn't compare to the reaction when the sexes are reversed.... that's for sure.

Seems so damn common these days too, as almost every week there seems to be a new one in the news. One that I was reading about a few weeks ago was where a 30-something female teacher had effectively groomed this 14-year-old boy for a few years and when the authorities eventually find out (which was recently enough) it turned out that she had even had a kid with him. Still before the courts obviously. I'm on my phone so can't link but her name is Laura Lynn Cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

The reaction from society to such cases certainly doesn't compare to the reaction when the sexes are reversed.... that's for sure.

Seems so damn common these days too, as almost every week there seems to be a new one in the news. One that I was reading about a few weeks ago was where a 30-something female teacher had effectively groomed this 14-year-old boy for a few years and when the authorities eventually find out (which was recently enough) it turned out that she had even had a kid with him. Still before the courts obviously. I'm on my phone so can't link but her name is Laura Lynn Cross.

Nice!

How many instances do you know (without jumping on to google now) of secondary school teachers who have been convicted for having sex with a student?

Apart from assuming this stuff goes on...

Some people like plucking 'cherries'. Never saw the appeal myself, but then, there are plenty of odd sexual fantasies out there that make little sense to me.

None personally but I regularly hear stories on news or social media, and I dont know if its same in USA but the majority of irish secondary school teachers seem to be middle aged and or male. In the 3 secondary schools I was in there was always only 3 or 4 attaractive relatively young female teachers out of 30-50 or so staff so if were hearing a good few stories on the news it makes me think its a little bit common I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I say it happens more than what we know. After all you only get to hear about things when they get caught.

As for it happening more in America? It could be the way it is or could be that we all live in americana in the western media. Probably live in Asia or somewhere and it happens just as much... just we don't hear alot of news stories from there.

• Advertisement

I say it happens more than what we know. After all you only get to hear about things when they get caught.

As for it happening more in America? It could be the way it is or could be that we all live in americana in the western media. Probably live in Asia or somewhere and it happens just as much... just we don't hear alot of news stories from there.

Id honestly say a large proportion of them are caught as I find it hard to believe many 14-15 year old boys could maintain a relationship with their teacher without their parents realising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Id honestly say a large proportion of them are caught as I find it hard to believe many 14-15 year old boys could maintain a relationship with their teacher without their parents realising

or bragging about it to his friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I get what you're saying but there doesn't have to be a relationship everytime. Teacher can shag a student once then just play the "I made a mistake"card. You can't tell anyone as my life will be ruined etc.

or bragging about it to his friends

True. Teenagers would brag.

I get what you're saying but there doesn't have to be a relationship everytime. Teacher can shag a student once then just play the "I made a mistake"card. You can't tell anyone as my life will be ruined etc.

Yup. Definitely. However, teens aren't all that rational with their emotions. It takes time for us to learn how to control them, and all it takes is one angry outburst from the student for everything to come out. Especially now in the modern environment where sexual assault receives so much attention. Even the suggestion of it is enough to ruin lives. That gives a student a lot of blackmail power over a teacher...
    True. Teenagers would brag.

But would he be believed? I remember plenty of boys saying they'd this girl and that girl, and for the vast majority, it was BS.

You're also assuming that the teachers are picking the extrovert students who have plenty of friends. It's just as likely that teachers are picking the quiet shy students because they're less likely to tell anyone... they're also the students to raise the least attention by visiting the teachers home for extra tuition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I have to agree. 15 years ago I was in school. the majority of teachers were women. the men were mostly the woodwork , engineering, tech graph subjects and 50/50 in science, art, history
    most of the women were in languages, maths, pe, home ec, music,

most men were in their 40s 50s and getting towards retiring

there were a good few teachers still in the 20s and early thirties. there were a few that would catch your eye and still would 15 years later

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Pictures Of Lilly

steddyeddy wrote: »
    It can be quite damaging to the kids involved.
    What? I'd have lovely mature woman to ask me for it. I'm damaged either way, may as well get a lay out of it.

Flipping it around, I don't know how an adult could fancy a 15 year old!

• Advertisement
Advertisement