Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Which is why the fee was crazy as BVB wanted Giroud. If Mrs G wasnt going to Everton she wasn't going to Dortmund.

I'd say it's £60m or deal over

Looking like another Higuain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Will ye stop being so negative saying the deal is dead, it will happen, give it time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Which is why the fee was crazy as BVB wanted Giroud. If Mrs G wasnt going to Everton she wasn't going to Dortmund.

I'd say it's £60m or deal over

If it takes £60m and the club really wants the player, then they should just bite the bullet and pay it. It’s going to cost this much for top players now. Sure Liverpool forked out £75m on a centre back. So Aubameyang at a similar price wouldn’t be the worst.

This is Arsenal though and you just know that the deal will fall through. Sounded way too good to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Will ye stop being so negative saying the deal is dead, it will happen, give it time

I really hope your right, there's something off about this deal though, it's clear arsenal are trying to get the best deal and Dortmund don't seem to be budging. Hopefully we get it done and sooner rather than later but this really feels like familiar territory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

I'm hoping we manage to get the deal done.
    Pay them cash only and let them shop elsewhere for a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The same lads that say don't believe it, rag this rag that are the same lads that then take the rag ****e when they say we are low balling and deal is dying.

Every player Arsenal are interest goes like this
    Arsenal interested in x
    Terms agreed for x
    Arsenal make bid
    Player value is €80m Arsenal offer €40m
    Arsenal up big to €42m
    Deal calapases

Now think of signing Sanchez, Ozil, Xhaka, Laca etc. The deals just got done with barely a media sniff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

On a positive note, Ozil just tweeted something along the lines of “good day, good vibe, good life #London”

If that says one thing, he’s staying in London... I wonder how much per week Chelsea will give him?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

For all we know the club have offered to the right cash but Dortmund are playing hardball over Giroud and we are not willing to include him

Or the opposite nobody knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Ornstein did say this deal would drag, that's the only thing keeping me feeling remotely hopeful about it haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

https://soundcloud.com/brian-oregan-932825069/bp-zone-episode-13

Hey guys here is the latest episode of the BP Zone :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

If it takes £60m and the club really wants the player, then they should just bite the bullet and pay it. It’s going to cost this much for top players now. Sure Liverpool forked out £75m on a centre back. So Aubameyang at a similar price wouldn’t be the worst.

This is Arsenal though and you just know that the deal will fall through. Sounded way too good to be true.

When you take into account Aubameyang is one of the best strikers in the world and VVD isnt in close to the top defenders its even more mind bobbling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Can’t help but feel we'll get the “we tried hard to bring in some top quality” line eventually.

Sorry but I’m a glass half empty type when it comes to Arsenal lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Still, beating Chelsea was nice. Again.

emmetlego wrote: »

That's not what I would have called them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

We lost ox, theo and sanchez in the last 6 months from our attacking options.

We need another body there at least, or its iwobi until the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Interesting press conference from Wenger this morning. Hard to know what to believe with these things though as I accept he just cant give a straight answer on certain questions despite how many times he is asked.
    In a nutshell, Arsenal take responsibility for Sanchez missed drug test but he isnt worried about any punishment. It was just bad timing with the transfer to Utd taking place.
    Giroud has not looked to leave and was not offered as part of the deal for Auba. He can only go if a player comes in.
    No real insight into the signing of Aubameyang.
    The club want Ozil to stay but no update on his signing.
    Cazorla out now till 2019 and when pressed on it Wenger didnt seem to know too much about his condition which I found a bit strange. He said he messaged him 2 weeks ago but hasnt seen him for a while. He will have to be medically assessed before any talks of a new contract. I found the comments about Cazorla a bit odd, I know hes injured and all but you would think he is still around the club in some capacity and at matches etc. Unless he is back in Spain for treatment? I think Cazorla is finished and its a crying shame as hes such a talented guy, if he is back in 2019, he will be 34 years old and away from playing for so long that it would be impossible to see him get back to the top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Need to bite the bullet on the Auba transfer, the extra few million will look chickenfeed if the club are left looking for a top striker after the World Cup in the summer.

We lost ox, theo and sanchez in the last 6 months from our attacking options.

We need another body there at least, or its iwobi until the summer.

Theo wasn't being used, and Ox wasn't playing as an attacker. We do need players in, though. Our starting 11 is weaker than it was.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Interesting press conference from Wenger this morning. Hard to know what to believe with these things though as I accept he just cant give a straight answer on certain questions despite how many times he is asked.
    In a nutshell, Arsenal take responsibility for Sanchez missed drug test but he isnt worried about any punishment. It was just bad timing with the transfer to Utd taking place.
    Giroud has not looked to leave and was not offered as part of the deal for Auba. He can only go if a player comes in.
    No real insight into the signing of Aubameyang.
    The club want Ozil to stay but no update on his signing.
    Cazorla out now till 2019 and when pressed on it Wenger didnt seem to know too much about his condition which I found a bit strange. He said he messaged him 2 weeks ago but hasnt seen him for a while. He will have to be medically assessed before any talks of a new contract. I found the comments about Cazorla a bit odd, I know hes injured and all but you would think he is still around the club in some capacity and at matches etc. Unless he is back in Spain for treatment? I think Cazorla is finished and its a crying shame as hes such a talented guy, if he is back in 2019, he will be 34 years old and away from playing for so long that it would be impossible to see him get back to the top level.
    Last I heard he'd had a rake of infections and was lucky to be able to walk. He's likely still on drugs and is still doing rehab. Hanging around the sidelines in the cold probably isn't the best idea in such a situation. The fact he's definitely out for another full year suggests to me he's still pretty ****ed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

wonga77 wrote: »

It's entirely possible that he doesn't want to talk about it because it's a medical thing. From the last news that came out, I didn't think that there was ever much hope of Santi playing again, perhaps he's still trying and failing to get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Last I heard he'd had a rake of infections and was lucky to be able to walk. He's likely still on drugs and is still doing rehab. Hanging around the sidelines in the cold probably isn't the best idea in such a situation. The fact he's definitely out for another full year suggests to me he's still pretty ****ed.

I like Santi and we have missed him badly in midfield. But we have been down this road before with Diaby & Rosicky. There is no way he should be offered a new contract

Definitely not, he's done. When's his contract up? If he can at all I hope he has or will get into coaching. He was great at times and once he was paired with something like a DM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Definitely not, he's done. When's his contract up? If he can at all I hope he has or will get into coaching. He was great at times and once he was paired with something like a DM.

His contract is up this summer AFAIK

wawaman wrote: »
    I like Santi and we have missed him badly in midfield. But we have been down this road before with Diaby & Rosicky. There is no way he should be offered a new contract

I think Santi himself knows that the body just wont be up to it any more. I do hope he'll be offered a coaching or scouting role though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

wawaman wrote: »

Agree unfortunately. I'd be delighted to see him offered a coaching role at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think Sky will be happy. I reckon the Aubemenyang deal will happen on the 31st. Who blinks first.... (hopefully someone does)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If he signs and Giroud stays (great!) will the latter ever play? seems too good to play so little especially in a WC year. I get the story about his wife but other than that a move to Dortmund would have made an awful lot of sense even if it was just a loan till the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If he signs and Giroud stays (great!) will the latter ever play? seems too good to play so little especially in a WC year. I get the story about his wife but other than that a move to Dortmund would have made an awful lot of sense even if it was just a loan till the Summer.

If Auba comes in I think (regretfully) that Olly will be off. He needs the playing time and the club will need to free up his wages

• Advertisement

6 month loan to Chelsea? He could stay in London, and they want a striker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Giroud surely will go if Aba...Abem..Abeya... that lad from Dortmund arrives. He'll be well down the pecking order and he'll want game time with the World Cup coming up and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Can see West Ham coming in for Giroud on loan till the end of the season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

So it is essentially that he does not intend on leaving London. Somewhere like West Ham till the end of the season could be beneficial, Maybe he can do well against Arsenal's opponents while not being able to face Arsenal who have arguably a better replacement already. Wonder just how far apart Arsenal and Dortmund's valuation of the players' value is.

So it is essentially that he does not intend on leaving London. Somewhere like West Ham till the end of the season could be beneficial, Maybe he can do well against Arsenal's opponents while not being able to face Arsenal who have arguably a better replacement already. Wonder just how far apart Arsenal and Dortmund's valuation of the players' value is.

He's worth at least as much as Sanchez, and Sanchez was worth £60m with one year left on his contract.

Some of the lads on twitter now suggesting that a fee and personal terms are agreed with Dortmund and the delay is just the finer details of payments and clauses.

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    Some of the lads on twitter now suggesting that a fee and personal terms are agreed with Dortmund and the delay is just the finer details of payments and clauses.

I prefer to hear it from Ornstein than the lads on Twitter. Lots of lads on Twitter saying all kinds of stuff.

Just saw this on Twitter:

DUeRzRcX4AA-eTn.jpg:large

Good to see we have Lacazette up there, but also very concerning that we now only have him and Ozil in the top 25 expected goal or assist stats.

Oh whoops, didn't see Rambo there :D Guess it's not quite as depressing as it could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Basil3 wrote: »
    Just saw this on Twitter:

DUeRzRcX4AA-eTn.jpg:large

Good to see we have Lacazette up there, but also very concerning that we now only have him and Ozil in the top 25 expected goal or assist stats.

Oh whoops, didn't see Rambo there :D Guess it's not quite as depressing as it could have been.

You missed Ramsey, but point taken, although with Sanchez gone somebody will be in line to take his place in the team and on the list, probably Mikhi.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Also it's a very interesting list in general, Benteke has scored 1 goal and is just about on it while Vardy has 10 goals already and doesn't cut it. He must be scoring some very low % chances.

Also exposes Hazard a little as not being as influential in the final third as he should be, helps me win an argument I've been having for a while with a mate.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Arghus wrote: »
    Giroud surely will go if Aba...Abem..Abeya... that lad from Dortmund arrives. He'll be well down the pecking order and he'll want game time with the World Cup coming up and all.

It's easier to say if you go "Whoa-oh Black Betty..." first.

• Advertisement

The **** are expected goals and assists? Why not just do the actual per-90 numbers?

Just did some reading and Expected Goals is a measure of the quality of a chance. That chart is just the per-90 stats but mis-named to make it sound more complex and in-depth.

The **** are expected goals and assists? Why not just do the actual per-90 numbers?

Because it's based on when a player *should* score or get an assist. It's all the rage these days.

Obviously actual per 90 is more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I saw another stat that Ozil hase 64 chances created for teammates this season which is second only to De Bruyne so his expected assists being considerably lower than a lot of these makes little sense to me.

Maybe I'm just readin it wrong

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/956925843925762048

Hilarious if true. Why would anyone prefer spurs?

That fella is a complete bluffer. He's been so wide of the mark on so many times in the past!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah he's just trying to spin a narrative to push there deadline day bollocks

Arghus wrote: »

Never forget, at least one of them will be injured at all times.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/956983360651497472

Aubameyang in the Dortmund squad for tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭golfball37

Champions league football that’s why

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement