Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It's taking too long.

Waiting till the deadline is nonsense. It makes no sense to play this brinksmanship nonsense, if we're properly committed to getting him.

Thankfully, I'm neary always wrong about this sort of business.

Unless SSN are paying both clubs a few bob to make Deadline day exciting? Paranoia about media is a real thing peeps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Basil3 wrote: »
    I wonder what the statement coming out of Dortmund today means. It doesn't really sound like the issue is purely a figure of money. They talk about 'certain parameters' and 'demands being met'. All very vague.

Zorc said "We are prepared to implement a transfer under certain parameters - but only if these parameters are fully met. Arsenal has started several attempts so far. We have all rejected so far," he said.

"Either our demands are fulfilled, then there can be another transfer or else they will not be fulfilled and Auba will play in Dortmund until the summer, so it is also discussed and accepted by the Aubameyang family."

Sounds like they are not budging on the price so either Arsenal shape up or ship out. It is dragging on a while now. Could the club really be haggling over a reported 6 million difference? Surely there's some other factors involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

wonga77 wrote: »
    Zorc said "We are prepared to implement a transfer under certain parameters - but only if these parameters are fully met. Arsenal has started several attempts so far. We have all rejected so far," he said.

"Either our demands are fulfilled, then there can be another transfer or else they will not be fulfilled and Auba will play in Dortmund until the summer, so it is also discussed and accepted by the Aubameyang family."

Sounds like they are not budging on the price so either Arsenal shape up or ship out. It is dragging on a while now. Could the club really be haggling over a reported 6 million difference? Surely there's some other factors involved

Dortmund need to line up a replacement i suppose, could take some time if Giroud's turned them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

"Either our demands are fulfilled, then there can be another transfer

I read this as we want Giroud as part of the deal

Soups123 wrote: »

I read it as we want the full amount stop faffing about. Hard to know whats going on I spose. Either way, only a few days to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Soups123 wrote: »
    Me too because they don't seem to be in the market for any other replacement.
    That's why I don't have much hope in it going through. Wenger wants to keep Giroud it seems and Giroud's wife likes London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

A site with that many pop up's it must be true

A site with that many pop up's it must be true

Good logic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

• Advertisement

Don’t like opening links to rags, it’s why they post crap! What’s the jist of the story?

emmetlego wrote: »
    Don’t like opening links to rags, it’s why they post crap! What’s the jist of the story?

A Manchester paper has said the odds of Ozil to United this window has been 'slashed' to 14/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

A Manchester paper has said the odds of Ozil to United this window has been 'slashed' to 14/1

Ah Jesus. He's not going anywhere this window. The fans would burn the emirates (HATE HATE HATE that name) to the ground.

Be interesting to see the reaction of the fans if the Auba transfer goes tits up.

I think a lot of the fans won't be pinning this one on Arsene, and with the lowballing tactic that all are familiar with will from past failed transfers being repeated will they be asking whether those failures were as much to do with the board as with Wenger?

Think Gazidis might be in the firing line if it doesn't go through.

Be interesting to see the reaction of the fans if the Auba transfer goes tits up.

I think a lot of the fans won't be pinning this one on Arsene, and with the lowballing tactic that all are familiar with will from past failed transfers being repeated will they be asking whether those failures were as much to do with the board as with Wenger?

Think Gazidis might be in the firing line if it doesn't go through.

Pretty confident Wenger will get a lot of the blame, even though he is (supposedly) the main reason Aubameyang is interested in us, since his father is (supposedly) a huge fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Pretty confident Wenger will get a lot of the blame, even though he is (supposedly) the main reason Aubameyang is interested in us, since his father is (supposedly) a huge fan.

I think the club have every player spin this line, every player we sign says it because of Wenger.

That said unless he's shackling the amount we offer I don't see how this one is on him with the group that went out to Germany seemingly leading

Well the other side of the equation is that many top players eventually want to leave us.

I dont see any of them staying because they respect Wenger so much. They want to go and win top trophies because the penny eventually drops that their careers are short and they are not going to win much of note at Arsenal.

Ive no doubt Wenger is still hugely respected in the game but its moreso because of what he achieved in the distant past.

As for Aubameyang, id imagine we'll get him over the line for 60m. Im not to anxious about it either way. it will be tight though.

Yeah I think the lack of rumours the last few days points to us getting him , I assume it'll be all sorted once Auba does his court thing monday morning then he'll be off to do medicals etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

https://twitter.com/jubaafc/status/957655686208466944

I’ll admit, it had me going for a few seconds until I copped the twitter handle. :(

• Advertisement

Well the other side of the equation is that many top players eventually want to leave us.

I dont see any of them staying because they respect Wenger so much. They want to go and win top trophies because the penny eventually drops that their careers are short and they are not going to win much of note at Arsenal.

Ive no doubt Wenger is still hugely respected in the game but its moreso because of what he achieved in the distant past.

As for Aubameyang, id imagine we'll get him over the line for 60m. Im not to anxious about it either way. it will be tight though.

I think most of them don't give a toss about winning trophies it's just about getting a wage increase/signing on fee which I can't blame them for

liam7831 wrote: »
    I think most of them don't give a toss about winning trophies it's just about getting a wage increase/signing on fee which I can't blame them for

Sanchez kind of proved that to a degree but in many other cases I think players wanted to move on and compete for bigger trophies such as Henry.

Sanchez kind of proved that to a degree but in many other cases I think players wanted to move on and compete for bigger trophies such as Henry.

Ya true about Henry in fairness, as time goes on I think players care less and less about trophies and international caps, neymar another example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Kicker reporting that a deal for Aubemenyang has been agreed. € 63 million

BREAKING: Arsenal close to reaching agreement to sign to striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang from Borussia Dortmund for club-record fee in region of £60m. Transfer won’t be sanctioned until #BVB have replacement lined up - remains unclear if that will be Olivier Giroud or not #AFC

Ornstein

Ornstein also reporting that a deal is sorted! Lubbly jubbly

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

If Ornstein is reporting it, than I’ll rightly start to get excited. I don’t know how him and Lacazette will fit in to the same team, but sure that’s not my problem. On paper Aubameyang is a top striker, so would be foolish to turn down the chance to sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Sad to see rob holding talked about going out on loan, would like to see him stay and get more games never know who could get injured.looks a half decent player for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Sad to see rob holding talked about going out on loan, would like to see him stay and get more games never know who could get injured.looks a half decent player for the future.

Loan might be the making of him. It's alright as long as we don't sell him, I agree he could be very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Does it not say it's sorted as long as they can get a replacement? Does it look like they might have someone?

• Advertisement

Absolutely delighted we're getting him ! I knew they wouldn't balls it up this time

I think it would be good for Holding. He needs games and experience and it has helped Chambers and Wilshere an awful lot. Still a young man. It might have happened a bit too quick for him last season.

I hope theres no truth in the stories linking Giroud to Chelsea. It wouldn't make sense to sell another player to a rival, he offers a very different style which is needed at times. I understand he wants playing time in the world cup year and would prefer to stay in London but id hate to see him at Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I hope theres no truth in the stories linking Giroud to Chelsea. It wouldn't make sense to sell another player to a rival, he offers a very different style which is needed at times. I understand he wants playing time in the world cup year and would prefer to stay in London but id hate to see him at Chelsea
    with Lacazette and Aubemenyang ahead of him in the queue, game time will be limited. I've always been a staunch defender of Giroud but our style of play doesn't play to his strengths. If he wants to stay in London though, I'd much rather he went to West Ham.

greendom wrote: »
    with Lacazette and Aubemenyang ahead of him in the queue, game time will be limited. I've always been a staunch defender of Giroud but our style of play doesn't play to his strengths. If he wants to stay in London though, I'd much rather he went to West Ham.

So would I but most likely Chelsea would be a far better financial decision and they are looking for someone exactly like him at the moment. I agree he is down the pecking order but is a terrific plan B for when things arent going according to plan or we need to mix it up. Not to mention that Auba cant play in the Europa league so we are stuck with just Lacca and maybe Welbeck up front

If it means getting aubamayang let giroud off we don't have to play them anymore this season and they might do some damage to our other rivals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

greendom wrote: »

So would I but most likely Chelsea would be a far better financial decision and they are looking for someone exactly like him at the moment. I agree he is down the pecking order but is a terrific plan B for when things arent going according to plan or we need to mix it up. Not to mention that Auba cant play in the Europa league so we are stuck with just Lacca and maybe Welbeck up front
    Agreed. Giroud is a good plan B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Maybe Chelsea would be interested in Welbeck?

*crosses fingers*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

I've no problem loaning out Giroud to Chelsea but for a complete transfer? He's a great player but not playing to his ability which is Aerial threat.

I'm glad we are clearing out deadwoods but Giroud isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rodders999

When Ivan gathered up the catalyst for change crew and jetted off to Dortmund in a mini coup he absolutely had to get his man.

If that transfer had gone tits up after he made moves behind Wenger's back then the whole power play that's going on at the club was dead in the water before it even began.

Wenger has had sweet FA to do with this deal, zero input into the valuation, nothing to do with wages and no meddling in the negotiations.

Ivan's struck a blow here no doubt (and also by offloading dross like Coq and Wally this window), hopefully Wenger is furious about the shift in power going on behind the scenes, throws his toys out and walks in the summer.

• Advertisement

Can I ask, how you know this is the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Lots of new reports every few minutes on this. 

Telegraph is saying in the past hour that the deal is done (with Evans deal being moved to Summer instead), but Dortmund need a replacement first. Kicker says their intended target is Anthony Modeste. Both saying Giroud won't be going to to Dortmund.

Bild are also saying that the deal is done, with Batshauyi to be loaned to Dortmund. Which I guess means Giroud to Chelsea.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

it's speculation but Arseblog was saying the same thing, makes sense when you consider how public they made the fact Gazidis and the two new guys traveled to Germany. that plus how un-Wenger this whole transfer window has been in terms of clearing out a couple of his pet projects and bringing in two big names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

rodders999 wrote: »
    Wenger has had sweet FA to do with this deal, zero input into the valuation, nothing to do with wages and no meddling in the negotiations.

Ivan's struck a blow here no doubt (and also by offloading dross like Coq and Wally this window), hopefully Wenger is furious about the shift in power going on behind the scenes, throws his toys out and walks in the summer.

I posted a few weeks back saying I think Wenger had to seize some of his control over the club when he signed the 2-year deal.

Aside from poor league form, failing in the Champions League year after year and finally not making it there at all the club has been losing huge money on wages when we weren't seeing results to justify the spend.

Kronke doesn't care about winning but he does care about money.

I posted a few weeks back saying I think Wenger had to seize some of his control over the club when he signed the 2-year deal.

Aside from poor league form, failing in the Champions League year after year and finally not making it there at all the club has been losing huge money on wages when we weren't seeing results to justify the spend.

Kronke doesn't care about winning but he does care about money.

Spot on, failing to reach the CL was a big turning point I feel and we're only seeing the results now. It was something that never had to be addressed in the past so it must have been a fair shock to the bank balance to have us finish outside the top 4. Most likely Kronke and the board put it down to a freak result but the longer this campaign goes on, the more we look like missing out again so they have finally sparked into action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Bild reporting the deal is done with an announcement happening today. Will believe it when the Ornacle reports it

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rodders999

Wenger admitted that it was Sven who was behind the Mavropanos transfer but couldn't hold back the barbs when he said -

"We know the players. We know. It’s not that we discover, we know every
    single player in Europe before Sven arrived. Sometimes, in a little club in
    Germany, he might know somebody we might ignore."

Yep the only value add Sven brings is that he may know someone in the German 4th division that Wenger hasn't heard of. The sheer arrogance of the man is frightening.

He was also extremely disparaging towards Mavropanos in another press conference where he called him "the Greek boy", in other words - I don't even know who this guy is, not my signing.

He said Mislintat wasn't involved in the Aubameyang deal 24 hours before himself and Ivan were conveniently pictured with the player's car in the background.

Coquelin only signed a bumper new contract extension last year but has now been bombed out. Talks of Giroud being gone before the window closes now (he too only signed an extension last year).

It's all going off behind the scenes and for once Wenger isn't calling all the shots which I welcome 100%.

The Ozil contract is the big one now, gone quiet since that Alan Smith a while back.

If they manage to renew i'll have to say it's a salvage job i didn't think they were up to.

So, Aubamayang and Mkhitaryan in and Alexis and Theo out. If we manage to tie down Ozil, this will have been our best window in I don’t know how long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I know this isn't helping and it is what it is...

But once again Arsenal lost a player they wouldn't want to be losing. Someone with grit and battle and most importantly with pull towards goal in him (although not too much of it this season admittedly). And in return we're going to get yet another 'typical Arsenal player' or two. As in nice player, outstanding feet, can look like an international level player or even better on a good day, but dont expect him to roll up his sleeves when the chips are down and put up a fight.

This seems to me the underlying problem over the years. Which must be down to the manager.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, infrequent poster here...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement