Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Ok what do you do so? Get nobody in? Who else could we have brought in that fits that description? Bringing in 2 quality players is a huge deviation from 'typical Arsenal' in my opinion. 'Typical Arsenal' would be selling Sanchez and bringing in nobody or worse, Kim Kallstrom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Ok what do you do so? Get nobody in? Who else could we have brought in that fits that description? Bringing in 2 quality players is a huge deviation from 'typical Arsenal' in my opinion. 'Typical Arsenal' would be selling Sanchez and bringing in nobody or worse, Kim Kallstrom.

Yep they were in a huge hole(of their own making admittedly), so the work they've done this window has been very impressive imo and un-Arsenallike.

Lot of work to be done in midfield, defense & keeper in the summer but at least there seems to be a plan of sorts now as opposed to waiting til the last few days of the window to pick up whatever scraps the big clubs were looking to offload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hey nobody talks sh*t about Kim
    I look like a boy as I walk across the grass, with the ball under my arm. Well-groomed side-parting, a clean red shirt, white sleeves, and a golden cannon on my breast. I’m a man past thirty years of age, in a boy’s dream. It’s the semifinal of the English FA cup, against Wigan, with 82,000 people on the stands of Wembley Stadium, among which 50,000 root for us. They are loud and starving fans that hunger for a title. They haven’t won anything for nine years, which is an eternity for a club that is considered one of the greatest in the World. They have the most loyal fans, gooners. By strange and unexpected detours, I’ve ended up at the top club Arsenal, in north London. With straight legs, I bend down and put the ball on the spot. I throw a quick glance at the keeper. I’ve already decided where to place it. I try not to smile. The moment is here. I’m here – in the middle of the latin motto of the club: Victoria Concordia Crescit. Victory grows through harmony. I can’t help myself but smile slightly. I haven’t even played half an hour for Arsenal. I debuted against Swansea, for eleven minutes, and now I was substituted on in extra time when it was to be decided. Fifteen minutes of a footballer’s life, which changed my story.”
    “I got a call from my agent, Roger Ljung [World Cup bronze medalist in ’94]. ‘Do you want to be loaned out to a club in the Premier League?” “No.” “Do you want to be loaned out to Arsenal?” “YES!”

“It was transfer day and a rumour of a new player had leaked. The training facilities were filled with supporters, journalists and tv was transmitting live. When we arrived at Heathrow, we had to drive to a field and switch cars so that no one would recognise the vehicle. Everyone was nice to me, and I get training clothes and number 29. I was sent to a team physician for the obligatory medical exam. While the physician is going through the tests, I’m sitting in the cafeteria, drinking a cup of washy English coffee. I’m dressed in the club colours, in the civilian outfit of the professional football player, meaning a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops. Players pass by on the way to today’s training. I knew a few of them, as they were French, and we small-talk a bit. The physician fetches me, and I’m driven quickly to a hospital for a X-ray exam. Something’s wrong. We return to the training facilities. I’m put in a situation that reminds me of a talent show on tv. I’m standing in front of a jury, in Arsenal clothes, the cd with my X-ray images, and bad posture. In front of me sits the team physician, the sporting director, and the powerful manager Arsene Wenger, who has run the club with an iron fist and a low-key attitude for almost 20 years. The physician starts speaking. He understands that Arsenal is a big thing for me and that my hopes have been lit, but the back problem is too bad, and he’s sorry. He lays down the facts. There are three cases of vertebral fractures, and I’m out for atleast 4-6 weeks. I’m shocked – disappointed, but I understood. Against the evidence of the X-ray images, neither boyhood dreams or arguments help. I understand. ‘If you’re injured, you’re injured’, I say, but in truth I was angry as hell. There’s silence in the room. Wenger hasn’t said anything. He hasn’t even looked at his colleagues as they inform me of their logical verdicts. He thinks for himself. I wait for him to say something. He sighs, and says ‘The transfer windows shuts in a few hours. It’s impossible to find a replacement. Either I take you or no one.’ Surprised, the others turn to the big boss. No one knows how he’ll continue, but they know that his words are law. It’s evident that he has not anchored his decision among the rest of the staff. Wenger decides. “You’ll stay, heal, and train. I’ll take you when you’re fit.”

“Now, the next circus starts. I could follow the events in real time, as the media started writing and friends contacted me. In spite of a time difference of four hours, and the Russian football association being closed, the transfer was done. The contract was signed in the last hour. I had left Spartak Moscow when everyone was asleep; I was just gone the next morning. I got a few good luck texts, but other than that, Russia was over for this time.”

“I train like a mad man in England. I’m good at that. One day at the gym, Wenger stops by. When he enters a room, everybody sort of stops, as if they’re waiting for a signal. He has that effect on people. I keep peddling on the exercise bike, as I’m trying to beat a certain time. Wenger is watching with his French, slightly casual, yet serious, gaze. We small-talk and we’re on the right track. I felt like I was building confidence with the leader, without having kicked a ball yet. After five weeks of hard rehab, and the uncertainty whether my back would be restored, I’m suddenly back on the pitch. It was a long time since the club had won anything, and the British capital is boiling, with the tabloids as directors. We’re favourites against Wigan in the semi-finals, but we only manage to achieve a draw at full-time. The clock ticks, without anyone ending it. I’m sitting on the bench without any personal expectation. There’s seven minutes left and I’m suddenly substituted for an exhausted Aaron Ramsey. The ref blows the whistle. Now, one of the finalists must be decided by a penalty shootout. A simple and brutal way to end things. Now, understanding of the game, tactics, and physical prowess are meaningless. Now, there is only a confused mess of nerves and chance. Penalty shoot-outs in football crown kings, and always a scapegoat. You must score. All the pressure is on the taker. I hear Wenger shouting in French: “Kim, do you take penalties?” “Yeah, I’d be glad to take one.” “Good. You’re second.” I decide early where to shoot it. When I walk alone to the spot, in a stadium with three times as many spectators as there are inhabitants of my hometown, Sandviken, I must suppress my smile. It’s a long way to walk across the pitch. I’m relaxed – perhaps happy. I put the ball on the spot. Now, I just have to back up and find the right distance to the ball, run up, and strike the ball hard and high to the left. Just do what I usually do, what I know, and always have done. I’ve done it a thousand times before, and there’s no nervousness. The keeper goes early, in the opposite direction of where I had decided to put it. When I watch the penalty on Youtube, the feelings return. The calm and the joy, but I’m surprised where the ball ended up. The ball ended up in the lower left corner, opposite of how I remembered it. I had decided to put it high to the left, but I remembered it as I actually put it low to the right. I’m confused, but the ball ended up in the net. We won the final and we’re praised by over 200,000 supporters on the streets of London. Although my contribution was small in the 120-year history of the club, it was a highlight for me. The greatest fifteen minutes of my life, and it turns out I don’t remember what happened. Where was I in that deciding moment? Trance, shock, delirium, coma, nervous breakdown, call it whatever you want. The only thing I know for sure is that sports and football are incomprehensible. That’s why we love it. As long as that penalty continues to end up in the net, my experience is true. I’m sure of it.”

http://www.punditarena.com/football/jmurphy/kim-kallstrom-arsenal/

Apologies for the source

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

How come Auba is not eligible to play Europa League?

Can you not play in it if you have been in Champions League in same sesaon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

You cant have a great piece like that and not include the video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rodders999

ronjo wrote: »

It's because Dortmund have now dropped into the Europa from the CL. Silly rule really.

Having said that you can only register one extra player to your European squad in January anyway so at least the decision doesn't have to made whether to choose Mkhitaryan or Auba.

Awkward one that.

ronjo wrote: »

I think you can't play in a European competition that contains a club that you've already played European football for in the same season. So because Dortmund are now in the Europa League he's not eligible.

Not 100% on that though.

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

rodders999 wrote: »
    It's because Dortmund have now dropped into the Europa from the CL. Silly rule really.

Having said that you can only register one extra player to your European squad in January anyway so at least the decision doesn't have to made whether to choose Mkhitaryan or Auba.

Awkward one that.
    Another silly rule is that Mkhitaryan has been given the squad number of 7 but isnt allowed to wear it in the EL because Alexis wore it already this season. Apparently 2 players cant wear the same number in the same season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Great news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Thought it was great news until I saw who posted the tweet!!!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Announce Ozil re-signing & that would pretty much be the best transfer window in recent memory. Assuming that tweet is accurate of course.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Sorry to break the Aubameyang twang :) - looking to take the young fella over to the Emirates cup next year. Tickets are normally available, but anyone know when they hit the market ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

newbie2 wrote: »
    Thought it was great news until I saw who posted the tweet!!!

:rolleyes:

Deal in principle reported on sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

If he does come, it creates a huge problem for us in the stands... What do we sing for Mkhytarian and Aubameyang? I mean the names don't exactly roll off the tongue!

emmetlego wrote: »
    If he does come, it creates a huge problem for us in the stands... What do we sing for Mkhytarian and Aubameyang? I mean the names don't exactly roll off the tongue!

Auba Auba Auba Auba Auba AUBAMEYANG (to the tune of Karma Cameleon)!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Congrats lads. I think it's pretty fair to say that of all the big teams you've probably had the best window. Losing Sanchez was always going to happen so at least you got a good player in return and adding the player that he played the best football of his career with makes it a very good window imo.

♪ Whoooo Black Betty, Aubameyang ♪

Obviously like!! :)

wawaman wrote: »
    Auba Auba Auba Auba Auba AUBAMEYANG (to the tune of Karma Cameleon)!!

That's brilliant! Kudos

Jayop wrote: »

♪ Whoooo Black Betty, Aubameyang ♪

Obviously like!! :)

You can't say the "B" word in the stands anymore... Good effort though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

You can't say the "B" word in the stands anymore... Good effort though!

Nah mate, it's all about Context. Our chant for Chris Smalling is...He's big and he's black, And he plays at the back, Chris Smalling of M.U.F.C.

No-one has a problem with that.

Oh Micky, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind... Mkhytarian Mkhytarian!

Brutal. He'll be a tough one to chant for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I told you so.........:P haha

Oh Micky, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind... Mkhytarian Mkhytarian!

Brutal. He'll be a tough one to chant for!

Someone on twitter trying to get this one going:

"Here’s to you Mkhitaryan
    Wenger loves you more than Mourinho-ooooooooo"

The Wenger hatred might put the kibosh on that one though

Someone on twitter trying to get this one going:

"Here’s to you Mkhitaryan
    Wenger loves you more than Mourinho-ooooooooo"

The Wenger hatred might put the kibosh on that one though

That's quality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Now put it all together for a song!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunners/comments/7tp2ic/a_front_three_of_lacazette_aubameyang_and/

This was posted in the UTD thread earlier. Thought its more suiting here aswell lol.

Good look getting a chant for the trio!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Just nabbed a corporate box for the Man City league game in a few weeks. Delighted. Prawn sandwiches for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This is great news if true. Now go and sort out the defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

It's like Fifa career mode, the way the ingoing's and outgoings are happening at the moment.

• Advertisement

So Dortmund deciding that they want to replace Aubameyang with Batshuayi means Ollie's gonna end up at the Bridge :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So Dortmund deciding that they want to replace Aubameyang with Batshuayi means Ollie's gonna end up at the Bridge :(
    for £15 million. That's not great to a direct rival. Yes he's 31 but he never relied on his pace. Like Teddy Sheringham he could go on for years.

We must have this intense desire to help our rivals. No way should we let Ollie g go for £15m. If they wanna throw Luiz into the mix....

greendom wrote: »
    for £15 million. That's not great to a direct rival. Yes he's 31 but he never relied on his pace. Like Teddy Sheringham he could go on for years.

Shocking price if true, Stoke would have charged that for Crouch. They should immediately add his 100k + wages to the Ozil offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

There's no way Giroud will go for £15 mill.

Everton's bid over the summer was in excess of £30 mill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

For 15m we are doing them a favor.

If they want him now the price should be 30m+ its not like Chelsea would ever help another team out.

• Advertisement

It’s all part of the triangle, in a sense we’re paying more for Aubamayang by agreeing to this. Auba to us - Batshui to Dortmund - Giroud to Chelsea. In reality, we’re getting a big upgrade. Would prefer to give them Welbeck and keep Ollie, but let’s be honest, if Ollie wants to go to the World Cup, he needs game time. He won’t get that with us unless we get 2/3 injuries.

15ml is a f*cking joke all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He won’t get that with us unless we get 2/3 injuries.

440161.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Giroud to Chelsea would be just.... no. That can't happen.

Looks like it will happen. A terrible decision by the club if it does go through. I know he needs gametime ahead of the world cup but let him get it somewhere else. 15 million seems very low considering he has a good bit to go on his contract and theres far worse players going for more money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

When’s Girouds contract up? I wouldn’t be too adverse to letting him go on loan for game time ahead of the WC but surely the summer is the time for us to do a stocktake and see what our needs are then. New boys could be disasters and we lose a quality striker to rivals.

He has 18 months. If it does happen it means we're more or less left with Welbeck as the backup. Poor guy is likeable but couldnt finish his dinner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

wonga77 wrote: »
    He has 18 months. If it does happen it means we're more or less left with Welbeck as the backup. Poor guy is likeable but couldnt finish his dinner
    Lazazette would be backup? Or if they're playing together we can just go back to 1 up top if the other is out.

Tbh I'm quite happy to see this team get gutted, our worst in 20 years.
    Gibbs
    Gabriel
    Coquelin
    Giroud
    Walcott
    Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Sanchez

All gone.

The club brings in huge money every year, no harm building again, pity we've the wrong manager.

AdamD wrote: »
    Lazazette would be backup? Or if they're playing together we can just go back to 1 up top if the other is out.

Tbh I'm quite happy to see this team get gutted, our worst in 20 years.
    Gibbs
    Gabriel
    Coquelin
    Giroud
    Walcott
    Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Sanchez

All gone.

The club brings in huge money every year, no harm building again, pity we've the wrong manager.

Your very harsh on Giroud. The man was averaging 20 goals per season the last five seasons. A very good squad player. Ill be sad to see him go tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

wonga77 wrote: »

Did you know that he is the top England goal scorer from players currently playing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

jester77 wrote: »
    Did you know that he is the top England goal scorer from players currently playing!

At Arsenal?
    Harry Kane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Your very harsh on Giroud. The man was averaging 20 goals per season the last five seasons. A very good squad player. Ill be sad to see him go tbh

My post wasn't in any way specific about Giroud? Just named all of the squad players that are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Giroud to Chelsea would be just.... no. That can't happen.
    he be sitting on the bench there too though!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement