Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

No in fairness we need this guy

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Very hypothetical... Wenger fúcks off tomorrow, who comes in?

I’d take the lads off arsenal fan tv at this stage ffs.

Seriously though we just need some fresh thinking, enthusiasm and energy in the short term at least. We may have to go through a manager or 2 though before we're actually competing for the PL title etc.

Right now just a change alone would give some hope and importantly a break in the monotony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Arghus wrote: »
    We all know nothing is going to happen before now and the end of the season.

Ah sure I know I'm not going to win the euromillions either, doesn't stop me thinking about it though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

pudzey101 wrote: »
    No in fairness we need this guy

giphy.gif

I would kill actual people to see Simeone come in he's complete opposite of Wenger would love to see him with us

In all seriousness though I'd give Marco Silva a go until the end of the season what's the worst that could happen couldn't be as bad as Wenger staying

We can do better than that clown. His head would be turned by Barca after 2 positive results and he'd plan to bring half the squad with him. Unless he grows up he is finished in football.

• Advertisement

If we can tempt an Aubemeyang and a Mkhitaryan, then surely we can tempt Allegri or Simeone?

omega man wrote: »

Seriously though we just need some fresh thinking, enthusiasm and energy in the short term at least. We may have to go through a manager or 2 though before we're actually competing for the PL title etc.

Right now just a change alone would give some hope and importantly a break in the monotony.

troopz fam he would win us the champs league no doubt blud

They'd never sign Troopz would need to pay a translator aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

omega man wrote: »

Knowing Arsenal they'd hire Ty.

This thread has reached an all-time low.

• Advertisement

Knowing Arsenal they'd hire Ty.

Ty and Red haired deluded Chris as joint managers :)

Basil3 wrote: »

Just matching the team to be fair

haven't we all its arsenal of course :pac: lock the thread up we all be better off :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

If we can tempt an Aubemeyang and a Mkhitaryan, then surely we can tempt Allegri or Simeone?

We'd have no problem getting a top manager, so long as we pay top manager prices.

Will that happen? It's more likely now, I think. Seems to me that there has been a change of attitude behind the scenes, and not in Wengers favour.

Yeah and I think the sooner that happens the better we have had enough nights like this to last us a lifetime , just when ya think we turn a corner we walk straight in to a bloody wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Yeah it's the threads fault.

THREAD OUT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Im afraid I just laughed at the last 2 Swansea goals...it was just typical Arsene Arsenal...fcuking clueless...not a shred of defensive coaching between the lot of them.
    We could sign the best player in every position on the pitch and still we wouldnt be any better.
    There is one problem and only one and hes filling is wallet,struggling to zip up his jacket,sitting in the dugout.

https://twitter.com/btsportscore/status/958458482122018816

Scary stat. Cech is so far past his use by date.

Would love to see the clean sheet stats for him with Chelsea and Arsenal again, should be a laugh now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Names like Silva come on lads we are AFC we could have our pick of some of the top coaches in the game.

On a more serious note anyone got a contact for Usmanov?

Im afraid I just laughed at the last 2 Swansea goals...it was just typical Arsene Arsenal...fcuking clueless...not a shred of defensive coaching between the lot of them.
    We could sign the best player in every position on the pitch and still we wouldnt be any better.
    There is one problem and only one and hes filling is wallet,struggling to zip up his jacket,sitting in the dugout.

Was only following the score while watching the Liverpool match but I did the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

CatInABox wrote: »
    We'd have no problem getting a top manager, so long as we pay top manager prices.

Will that happen? It's more likely now, I think. Seems to me that there has been a change of attitude behind the scenes, and not in Wengers favour.

Isnt Wenger one of the highest paid managers in the league and has been for some time?

Arsenal obviously have the funds and wages for a top class manager. I just wonder when Wenger will decide ye need one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm pissed off saying that we have a rubbish defence. Proved again tonight. Neither keeper or 4 defenders anywhere near good enough. Wouldn't get on any other team in the top 5. Wenger keeps ignoring the problem. Not in touch with reality himself. You build from the back up and not the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I'm pissed off saying that we have a rubbish defence. Proved again tonight. Neither keeper or 4 defenders anywhere near good enough. Wouldn't get on any other team in the top 5. Wenger keeps ignoring the problem. Not in touch with reality himself. You build from the back up and not the other way around.

We had the best defence in 2015.

What's changed???

Mertesacker??

Time has caught up with some of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We had the best defence in 2015.

What's changed???

Mertesacker??

The training, lack of responsibility, manager too easy on them, poor training methods, nobody caring, easy regime????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

The training, lack of responsibility, manager too easy on them, poor training methods, nobody caring, easy regime????

All of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rodders999

Aubameyang - class striker, lethal finisher, but ultimately what's the ****ing point?

For him to stand up top watching in bewilderment as the gormless ****wits in midfield aimlessly pass the ball back and forth amongst themselves ad finitum. He'll ****ing bore himself to death at that rate.

70 minutes on the clock tonight, 2-1 down and we're stroking it over and back, over and back, OVER AND ****ING BACK without a care in the world.

Tedious, boring, lifeless, soul destroying dross.

There's **** all to like about us at the moment, I really do detest it all.

The protest planned for before the game Saturday has had some petrol thrown on the flames tonight - hope they get a great turnout.

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

https://www.arsenal.com/news/they-were-hungrier-and-we-were-absolutely-guilty

This will probably be removed by the time ye're all out of bed but someone on the site has posted a video of Wenger talking about Aubameyang's signing in the above article! It's confirmed at least.

Edit: Fixed. You can see it here - https://twitter.com/BulletHeader12/status/958534099345596423

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

https://twitter.com/MrArsenicTM/status/958540853454176256

More madness seemingly going on. If this is true then I'll be the happiest man on earth. Ozil > Everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

x PyRo wrote: »
    https://www.arsenal.com/news/they-were-hungrier-and-we-were-absolutely-guilty

This will probably be removed by the time ye're all out of bed but someone on the site has posted a video of Wenger talking about Aubameyang's signing in the above article! It's confirmed at least.

Edit: Fixed. You can see it here - https://twitter.com/BulletHeader12/status/958534099345596423

Did he not say at the end: “It’s not over the line yet but hopefully it will be done tomorrow”?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Means f all when we see performances like last night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

8pts off 4th but apparently Auba has signed as has Ozil re-signed. Is it too late to turn things around this Season? hopefully the news of both lads can bring a bit of positivity after that terrible result

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Sanchez, Walcott and Coq out with Miki and Auba in was a great window, adding Giroud to Chelsea is a poor decision.

Giroud offers us something different and letting him leave is disappointing enough but to Chelsea is dreadful business.

Some positive signs this window tainted with the usual frustrations. If change is happening surely now the club and the man himself must see who needs to go, signings are pointless with Wenger in charge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

8pts off 4th but apparently Auba has signed as has Ozil re-signed. Is it too late to turn things around this Season? hopefully the news of both lads can bring a bit of positivity after that terrible result
    who in here said the same thing about how discruptive sanchez was and was so desperate for him to leave and show us that we will start playing better without him?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

who in here said the same thing about how discruptive sanchez was and was so desperate for him to leave and show us that we will start playing better without him?

not myself but several people were picking up on the lack of a send off he got from the other players as apposed to what Theo/Coq got.

I think you have signed 2 very good players and shed for the most part players you would want to but ideally that latter part could have happened in the summer especially in the case of Giroud. Unfortunately he can't wait with the world cup. The worry I would have now would be that the new guys will be expected to hit the ground running and turn what has been a poor season around with Snachez and Giroud are no longer options. If they take any time to settle it could be too late for this year unless others who should have already can step up.

Ozil re-signing would be huge especially given the fear that there may not be CL football to offer but who knows you could still win the Europa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Can't see us catching 4th, too much now unless someone above us implodes. The UEFA cup is a realistic option, should be giving that everything to get the CL spot.

Trying to figure out who laughed longest - the chairman of Borussia Mönchengladbach when we spunked 30 million quid on the gormless Xhaka or the chairman of Valencia when we handed over £35m for calamity Mustafi.

BANTER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Sanchez to Man Utd, Giroud to Chelsea..... its kinda taken the edge off the window dealings if the latter is confirmed (is is loan or perm ?)

I suspect Mrs G doesn't want to leave London and by Batshuayi going to Dortmund, it was needed to seal the Auba deal.

Sky Confirming that Auba undergoing medical & BBC just confirmed Dortmund have agreed a loan deal for Batshuayi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

We will never get anywhere near close to the title until the midfield learns how to protect a back 4 and the back 4 learn how to defend, shambles!!! we must do zero work on team defending. we have needed a defensive midfield with a brain since Gilberto Silva left.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I genuinely cant believe Ozil is signing a new contract. Wenger must have that memory zapper thing from Men In Black and he's using it in the dressing room after every game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

keano_afc wrote: »
    I genuinely cant believe Ozil is signing a new contract. Wenger must have that memory zapper thing from Men In Black and he's using it in the dressing room after every game.

Hopefully he'll make him Captain too.

It's funny really, we've fallen far enough now that I lose a bit of respect for players who sign with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

It's funny really, we've fallen far enough now that I lose a bit of respect for players who sign with us.

:o Ditto. I just think "This player hasn't watch us play, he doesn't have a clue what he's getting into. Idiot."

:o Ditto. I just think "This player hasn't watch us play, he doesn't have a clue what he's getting into. Idiot."
    Like why would Ozil waste his last few years with us? Shows a complete lack of ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

For discussion.

Anybody here feel like Mustafi is improving all the time? Could be like Kos was at first, generally a good defender, but a bit error prone?

I think he makes some generally solid contributions but has to cut out the mistakes. Like Kos did.

What do ya think?

PS still think Kos has it, just left exposed in a back 4 with no proper DM

Not surprised one bit that Ozil is set to sign. No other club/manager in the world would molly coddle him the way we do. He's given a winter break every year and if there's some tough away game on the horizon that he doesn't fancy we trot out the "he's sick" excuse.

He's on easy street here and his agent has played an absolute blinder. With Sanchez already gone the optics of Ozil walking for free would be terrible - instead he's going to bag 350 grand a week to turn up when he feels like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

emmetlego wrote: »
    For discussion.

Anybody here feel like Mustafi is improving all the time? Could be like Kos was at first, generally a good defender, but a bit error prone?

I think he makes some generally solid contributions but has to cut out the mistakes. Like Kos did.

What do ya think?

PS still think Kos has it, just left exposed in a back 4 with no proper DM

I think Franco Baresi and Paolo Maldini would look crap in this team. No structure whatsoever and no protection from midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

rodders999 wrote: »
    Trying to figure out who laughed longest - the chairman of Borussia Mönchengladbach when we spunked 30 million quid on the gormless Xhaka or the chairman of Valencia when we handed over £35m for calamity Mustafi.

BANTER

At this stage I think it's all down to coaching/management/"tactics".

Xhaka looked promising when he joined and has gone severely downhill since. Was it him or Elneny who was given out to for shooting (and scoring) from outside the box?

In other situations you might put it down to individuals but he isn't the only one. Bellerin and Iwobi have also gotten worse recently. Kos has worsened to the point I think he is worse than Mustafi and has been for some time but because of his recent injuries the main focus isn't on him (and his legacy is doing him a lot of favours too).

If we got new management in I think they could do a lot with the current team as long as they took novel steps like coaching players instead of just sending them out to play in positions with no instructions or preparation and just trying to rely on their natural ability.

Look at Jack and Ramsey. Jack left the club on loan last year and seems the better player for it and seems to be playing much better than he has in a long time. Ramsey on the other hand hasn't improved at all since he first broke into the team and even seems to have stagnated over the last few years.

Maybe it's coaching or maybe it's the fact now Jack has to fight for his place again unlike the complacency that has crept into the team given that form is no longer considered when the team is picked and once you are in the team you are undroppable e.g Bellerin, Iwobi, Xhaka, etc.

It's so, so hard to judge players at Arsenal. One will hit a rich vein of form and look great for 10-20 matches then trail off. Bellerin looked like one of the best in the world for a little while. Xhaka was shocking for a while, good for a while and now back to his usual crap.

At the end of the day if we say player X is playing really well the context has to be remembered. We've won under 50% of our league matches this season. We got knocked out of the FA Cup by Nottingham Forest.

At this stage it looks like our best shot at getting into the CL next season is the 9 matches remaining in the Europa League. Time to throw all the eggs in that basket?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I do hope we go on a good run in the league as we have done in the previous years, maybe the 2 new lads will be the impetus behind it? I guess we just don’t know. If we do go in a good run (and let’s face it, Pool and Spurs are just as likely to lose a heap of games) we could quite easily get 4th. Sad demise of the club and the man. Sooner he’s gone the better.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement