Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Sanchez having a howler of a debut...

Basil3 wrote: »
    Not a fair comparison.

Take your pick of 2/3 then. :P

All's I'm getting at is that Mkhitaryan is probably gonna be a bench player and Aubameyang is gonna displace our top scorer. I just don't see how this window is such a massive success.

Also this makes for sobering reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Arsenal_F.C._season#Goalscorers
    Removing the players who've left we've 3 players who've scored more than 3 goals this season and no-one in double digits.
    (It's slightly out of date and I'm not arsed updating it :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Abumayang is miles miles better than Lacazette. Unlike Lacazette who needs to be fed passes on a plate abmayang is a sneaky sneaky bastard in the box and is a goal machine. I'm not excited about mkihy at all though.

Abumayang is miles miles better than Lacazette. Unlike Lacazette who needs to be fed passes on a plate abmayang is a sneaky sneaky bastard in the box and is a goal machine. I'm not excited about mkihy at all though.
    We shall see anyway. Interesting how quick Lacazette ain't that good so. :pac:

Take your pick of 2/3 then. :P

All's I'm getting at is that Mkhitaryan is probably gonna be a bench player and Aubameyang is gonna displace our top scorer. I just don't see how this window is such a massive success.

Also this makes for sobering reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Arsenal_F.C._season#Goalscorers
    Removing the players who've left we've 3 players who've scored more than 3 goals this season and no-one in double digits.
    (It's slightly out of date and I'm not arsed updating it :P )

We just need to hope Aubameyang hits the ground running. I'm going to try to be positive about it all, but it will be painful if Theo bags a couple on Saturday, and Wenger decides to start Auba on the bench.

Haha you just know that's what will happen too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Chelsea 0 - 3 Bournemouth :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Giroud might have a new manager before even playing!!

We just need to hope Aubameyang hits the ground running. I'm going to try to be positive about it all, but it will be painful if Theo bags a couple on Saturday, and Wenger decides to start Auba on the bench.

Yeah I'm just not seeing what there is to be overly positive about. Realistically we need to win the EL and get the team playing really well before the end of the season, win 10/13 of our remaining matches.

• Advertisement

Just flicked on the United match for a tick. Sanchez kept signalling for the ball to be passed to him, and they just lumped it up to Lukaku :D

I thought it was funny, anyway.

Chelsea 0 - 3 Bournemouth :pac:

A win for us yesterday would have been really really nice. Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Roma just signed new left back - Silva from Sporting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Just flicked on the United match for a tick. Sanchez kept signalling for the ball to be passed to him, and they just lumped it up to Lukaku :D

I thought it was funny, anyway.

In fairness to spurs they play great football and are positive and enjoyable to watch

physioman wrote: »
    In fairness to spurs they play great football and are positive and enjoyable to watch

Get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Get out.

But seriously they hardly misplace a pass. We are shocking in comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

physioman wrote: »
    But seriously they hardly misplace a pass. We are shocking in comparison

WE F*CKIN BEAT THEM 2 NIL THIS VERY SEASON.

This f*ckin thread, I swear to Jesus.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    WE F*CKIN BEAT THEM 2 NIL THIS VERY SEASON.

This f*ckin thread, I swear to Jesus.

And yet they are 6 points ahead of us with a shedload of goals more. No need to take every comment to heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

wonga77 wrote: »
    And yet they are 6 points ahead of us with a shedload of goals more. No need to take every comment to heart

Yeah but... fúck spurs.

Fellaini sub on ‘63 sub off ‘70 lol

omega man wrote: »
    Fellaini sub on ‘63 sub off ‘70 lol

Yeah, what's that about? Something wrong with him?

• Advertisement

Yeah, what's that about? Something wrong with him?

He didn’t look injured and seemed p1ssed off

Don't blame him. Getting subbed on and off like that is embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Shame it was Tottenham, but how about Jose's United doing what we normally do in a big away game? Conceding in the first few mins, doing something stupid (an o.g.), and then doing nothing else.

Maybe he needs to spend some more?

Nothing better than seeing Mourinho being brought down to earth.
    No problem with Utd, but he's just such an unlikable man.
    Hopefully the 3 year curse kicks in again for him and he ends up with Scunthorpe or Dingleberry Rovers and I won't have to look at him anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So we drop further and further back. So sad for a proud club.
    Then we have a poor ethic and a rubbish manager so in reality we are in our proper place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Brace for Walcott already.

He may come back to haunt you Saturday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

That united game.
    Sanchez
    Felllaini

Lol.

So we drop further and further back. So sad for a proud club.
    Then we have a poor ethic and a rubbish manager so in reality we are in our proper place.

Next few premier league matches against Everton, Spurs and City will decide if there's any chance to salvage our season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

That united game.
    Sanchez
    Felllaini

Lol.
    Wh
    That united game.
    Sanchez
    Felllaini

Lol.

what happened?

what happened?

Sanchez was rubbish, from what i saw.

Fellaini got injured shortly after coming on, but people were trying to say that Mourinho pulled him after a few minutes because he wasn't doing what he was told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Wh

what happened?

Sanchez was ineffective and Fellaini was brought on for Pogba before being replaced by Herrera after 6 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rodders999

It really used to piss me off when Sanchez used to wave his arms frantically trying to beckon everyone forward when the ball was up his end of the pitch.

So it was quite enjoyable watching him doing it about 15 times last night in a united jersey.

So just a 7 million net spend this window after making a profit in the last one yet the line being spun was that we had no money to sign a CB. That's on top of the fabled 150-200m war chest we've been banging on about forever.

While we're giving the impression of spending money it seems to me to be just some glorified 3 card trick as we're recouping as much as we're spending. It looks like we have to sell a player first before we can get somebody else in.

Where has all the money gone?? They're trying to hoodwink us by giving the impression of investing in the squad but in reality practically no "new" money is being spent on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I suspect the increase in wages has had a significant impact to our overall spend.
    Ozil on 350k a week & Aubameyang on 160-180k (or thereabouts) over the length of a contract is a fair amount of cash.

But even allowing for that your point has merit, and the question is worth asking, are we as wealthy a club as some sources suggest? or has Stan been milking the club to the extent its a project that requires balancing to maintain his spending elsewhere, his NFL project seems to be the priority for his substantial wealth these days.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    I suspect the increase in wages has had a significant impact to our overall spend.
    Ozil on 350k a week & Aubameyang on 160-180k (or thereabouts) over the length of a contract is a fair amount of cash.

But even allowing for that your point has merit, and the question is worth asking, are we as wealthy a club as some sources suggest? or has Stan been milking the club to the extent its a project that requires balancing to maintain his spending elsewhere, his NFL project seems to be the priority for his substantial wealth these days.

Yeah wage constraints did come to mind but when you think about it we've offloaded - Scez, Ox, Gibbs, Sanchez, Coquelin, Theo, Giroud and Debuchy from the wage list in the last 2 windows and replaced them with Lacazette, Kolasinac, Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang.

Even when you add in Ozil's new deal there can't be much of a difference in the overall wage bill I'd imagine. Like you I do fear Stan is using our balance sheet as leverage for his NFL team and when we get to the summer window who comes in is going to depend entirely on who we can offload.

rodders999 wrote: »
    Yeah wage constraints did come to mind but when you think about it we've offloaded - Scez, Ox, Gibbs, Sanchez, Coquelin, Theo, Giroud and Debuchy from the wage list in the last 2 windows and replaced them with Lacazette, Kolasinac, Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang.

Even when you add in Ozil's new deal there can't be much of a difference in the overall wage bill I'd imagine. Like you I do fear Stan is using our balance sheet as leverage for his NFL team and when we get to the summer window who comes in is going to depend entirely on who we can offload.

I imagine there was/is a massive signing on fee for Ozil, which won't be reported as a transfer fee.

This coming summer will be very interesting, if this last window is anything to go by. You'd still have to assume that Champion's League football is pretty necessary for the club.

There's a lot of talk about Jack become the club captain this summer, which will effectively end his Arsenal playing career, like every captain before him (Mert, Arteta, Vermalen, RVP, Cesc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Just looking at the squad there on the official website.

Its really, really small.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Just looking at the squad there on the official website.

Its really, really small.

24 players officially listed - out of a max of 25......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I just hope that this window is a sign of hings to come & that we get genuine reinforcing in the summer, & not the one or two patchwork signings to repalce players being offloaded.

The defence needs rebuilding, that cannot be ignored for another window & I suspect we'll see a new CH & GK & if funds allow a DM also.

Getting a few contracts sorted one way or the other is crucial too. This running down of contracts has to stop.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

A transfer window that has many eyes clouded, dont get me wrong im delighted with Aubameyang and Ozil resigning, big statements, but still cant help but think we should have kept Giroud and moved on Wellbeck. The main problem is still the center of midfield and the back 4, I do think that is a player and management issue though, There is an art form to defending right as a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I don't think there was a choice in Giroud vs Welbeck. Chelsea and Dortmund wanted Giroud

I'd say the summer will be heavy on the outs again. Cech, Welbeck, Ramsey and probably Mustafi.

Ramsey will be in the last year of his contract and I think the club will try and move him on, his performances don't warrant an extension nor does his appalling injury record.

We need to go for a winger with real pace and try to play a different brand of football to the crab like bore fest that is WengerBall. Get the ball in to Ozil and Aubameyang quickly and ditch the laborious 27 pass build up.

A new keeper is a must as is at least one if not two CBs and possibly a RB.

If Barcelona want to reunite Bellerin with his Barca DNA then I'd bite their hands off. Poor defensively and infuriating how often his crosses hit the first man when he's in the final third. Regressing game by game.

Big summer ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

I'd say the summer will be heavy on the outs again. Cech, Welbeck, Ramsey and probably Mustafi.

Ramsey will be in the last year of his contract and I think the club will try and move him on, his performances don't warrant an extension nor does his appalling injury record.

We need to go for a winger with real pace and try to play a different brand of football to the crab like bore fest that is WengerBall. Get the ball in to Ozil and Aubameyang quickly and ditch the laborious 27 pass build up.

A new keeper is a must as is at least one if not two CBs and possibly a RB.

If Barcelona want to reunite Bellerin with his Barca DNA then I'd bite their hands off. Poor defensively and infuriating how often his crosses hit the first man when he's in the final third. Regressing game by game.

Big summer ahead.

Coleman is only on 38k a week at Everton, sell Bellerin for 30-40, get Coleman for 20 million and double his wage.

I don't know if you've noticed, but 'Wengerball' is what we play against lower level teams who sit back and defend. Liverpool also play 'Wengerball' a lot against teams who just defend against them and can't break through.

Im not sure how much credibility afcamden has, I remember a time when he did but an interesting tweet, if there is any truth to it, who knows

https://twitter.com/AFCAMDEN/status/958973955112603648

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

AFC Camden got the Ozil contract absolutely spot on and the Aubameyang price and process. He has some inside info for sure

I don't know if you've noticed, but 'Wengerball' is what we play against lower level teams who sit back and defend. Liverpool also play 'Wengerball' a lot against teams who just defend against them and can't break through.

By lower level teams you mean the likes of Forrest, Bournemouth, Swansea, Watford and Stoke who've all beaten us this season yeah?

By lower level teams you mean the likes of Forrest, Bournemouth, Swansea, Watford and Stoke who've all beaten us this season yeah?

Who did Swansea play and beat just before Arsenal? Liverpool.

Watford also managed a draw out of Spurs.

Bournmouth hammered Chelsea 3-0 last night.

All of these lesser teams have their day. Especially against the likes of Pool and Arsenal who play attacking football.

Unsure of the point you're making.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

wonga77 wrote: »
    Im not sure how much credibility afcamden has, I remember a time when he did but an interesting tweet, if there is any truth to it, who knows

https://twitter.com/AFCAMDEN/status/958973955112603648

Twitter links are the bane of my existence when I'm at work. What does it say?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement