Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rodders999

Basil3 wrote: »
    Unsure of the point you're making.

My point is that we have conceded 34 goals this season - the same as bottom of the league West Brom. The notion that the tedious, laboured, side ways, crab football that has blighted us for so long now is because the lower teams park the bus against us is fanciful.

They all have a real go at us now and with our completely undisciplined midfield, our porous defence and terrible goalkeeper why wouldn't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Twitter links are the bane of my existence when I'm at work. What does it say?

Management team are working on an exit strategy for Wenger this summer - regardless of the outcome of this season. Joachim Löw is 1st choice and has been lined up to replace Arsène, after the World Cup.

rodders999 wrote: »
    My point is that we have conceded 34 goals this season - the same as bottom of the league West Brom. The notion that the tedious, laboured, side ways, crab football that has blighted us for so long now is because the lower teams park the bus against us is fanciful.

They all have a real go at us now and with our completely undisciplined midfield, our porous defence and terrible goalkeeper why wouldn't they?

So the solution is for us to play like Leicester did in their title winning season, and sit back and defend, then hit teams on the break. I wouldn't say that it's necessarily exciting football, but it can be effective.

At what point would you say that we started playing 'Wengerball'? What season was it that Wenger decided that laboured, sideways, crab football was the way to play the game?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ah I see, I would believe it. The way the transfer window went makes me think he won't be around for the rest of the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

rodders999 wrote:

That's such a misleading stat. Plenty of teams in-between have conceded more.

West brom are actually over performing if you stack the league by goals conceded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

wonga77 wrote: »
    Management team are working on an exit strategy for Wenger this summer - regardless of the outcome of this season. Joachim Löw is 1st choice and has been lined up to replace Arsène, after the World Cup.

That would be so uninspiring

So the solution is for us to play like Leicester did in their title winning season, and sit back and defend, then hit teams on the break. I wouldn't say that it's necessarily exciting football, but it can be effective.

At what point would you say that we started playing 'Wengerball'? What season was it that Wenger decided that laboured, sideways, crab football was the way to play the game?

Counter attacking football has been effective for us in the past against City in 2015 being one such example. The possession game is only good if is clinical. We are far too easy to defend against and very sloppy and indisciplined at the back.

Personally, I would point to Fabregas departure as a point in time where the tempo of our play dropped significantly. Don't forget Gervinho came in to the side to replace Nasri and Arteta was never the same player when he joined us and played a cagier more defensive role
    If there is a fault I have with Ozil is that he perhaps plays at a lower tempo at times when compared to Fabregas

Counter attacking football has been effective for us in the past against City in 2015 being one such example. The possession game is only good if is clinical. We are far too easy to defend against and very sloppy and indisciplined at the back.

Personally, I would point to Fabregas departure as a point in time where the tempo of our play dropped significantly. Don't forget Gervinho came in to the side to replace Nasri and Arteta was never the same player when he joined us and played a cagier more defensive role
    If there is a fault I have with Ozil is that he perhaps plays at a lower tempo at times when compared to Fabregas

We have definitely played great counter attacking football....but it only really works against teams who attack you, which is usually top 6 sides. I think when we beat Chelsea 3-0 it was much the same.

It's funny what you say about Cesc, because I always thought one of the main complaints with him is that he held onto the ball for too long in midfield.

I'm hoping that Auba will create enough doubt in opposition defences that they drop back a bit, and space is left in front of them for Ozil to operate. One thing that is clear from Lacazette is he has no real pace to worry opposition defences. I know it was poor conditions the other night, but he looked like his feet were in mud the whole time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

wawaman wrote: »

The man hasn't been in club management since forever. Done good things with Germany, but international football is a different beast entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

wawaman wrote: »

The man hasn't been in club management since forever. Done good things with Germany, but international football is a different beast entirely.
    Right so, let’s keep Wenger!

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Like you I do fear Stan is using our balance sheet as leverage for his NFL team and when we get to the summer window who comes in is going to depend entirely on who we can offload.

I read a piece this morning saying Stan is using the Club as collateral against a $1 Billion loan for him to develop the new stadium in Inglewood for his LA Rams franchise.

Their new stadium opens in 2020.

What?
    He’s a manager that has proven he can win the worlds biggest tournament and get the best out of players in the process. Probably the polar opposite of Wenger.

I was being sarcastic with my keep Wenger comment. Should have made that clear

He’s a manager that has proven he can win the worlds biggest tournament and get the best out of players in the process. Probably the polar opposite of Wenger.

I was being sarcastic with my keep Wenger comment. Should have made that clear

Reads like I'd rather keep Wenger because I don't want a specific manager. Which is obviously silly.

As for Low, there is nothing like the World Cup in club football. How will he deal with training players when he has them for more than a week at a time? Transfers? Rotation? International football is completely different, you can't ignore that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Loew would be a terrible appointment imo, he's been in the same job for 12 years now. He hasn't managed at club level since 2006, back when Wenger was still considered one of the best. And he's never managed any big clubs nor won anything significant at club level. No thanks.

I would say from the time the Fabregas/Flamini/Hleb midfield broke up. Back then the comment you'd hear most from pundits about an Arsenal team was that we were the one team in the league they'd gladly pay to watch week in week out.

To say the current side plays good football is a myth, yes there will be times we score a wonder goal after 20 passes with every player having a touch but for the most part it's laboured, sideways stuff that's impossible to fathom what we're trying to achieve.

Case in point the defeat the other night - we had 894 passes and 74% possession - lost 3-1 and it could and should have been a whole lot worse. Swansea had more attempts on goal with their 26% possession than we did with our 74%.

What are we trying to achieve when we have the ball? Do Arsenal even have a style of play anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I would say from the time the Fabregas/Flamini/Hleb midfield broke up. Back then the comment you'd hear most from pundits about an Arsenal team was that we were the one team in the league they gladly pay to watch week in week out.

To say the current plays side plays good football is a myth, yes there will be times we score a wonder goal after 20 passes with every player having a touch but for the most part it's laboured, sideways stuff that's impossible to fathom what we're trying to achieve.

Case in point the defeat the other night - we had 894 passes and 74% possession - lost 3-1 and it could and should have been a whole lot worse. Swansea had more attempts on goal with their 26% possession than we did with our 74%.

What are we trying to achieve when we have the ball? Do Arsenal even have a style of play anymore?

Midfield can't take the ball under pressure and beat the press so it ends up going backwards or sideways until the opposition are in shape, then it's passed endlessly left and right probing for an opening.

Jack was immediately missed the other night for his ability to take the ball, beat a man and open up the play quicker than any other combo in the midfield we have since Santi died.

Loew would be a terrible appointment imo, he's been in the same job for 12 years now. He hasn't managed at club level since 2006, back when Wenger was still considered one of the best. And he's never managed any big clubs nor won anything significant at club level. No thanks.

Plus he has benefitted from huge underage structural improvements in German football. Yes he still had to go out and prepare the team and he is well respected, fair enough, but the club game and the international game is a completely different dynamic and after 12 years it would take him some time to adjust.

The way i see it, if we are bold and ambitious enough to go for an Aubameyang, then we should be equally ambitious with the next managerial choice. Allegri or Simeone would be my two favourites.

I would say from the time the Fabregas/Flamini/Hleb midfield broke up. Back then the comment you'd hear most from pundits about an Arsenal team was that we were the one team in the league they'd gladly pay to watch week in week out.

To say the current side plays good football is a myth, yes there will be times we score a wonder goal after 20 passes with every player having a touch but for the most part it's laboured, sideways stuff that's impossible to fathom what we're trying to achieve.

Jesus I hadn't seen that the stats were that ridiculous. I've had people ragequit against me in FIFA for less. :pac:

• Advertisement

Also is that a PL record? https://www.premierleague.com/news/505332

Stan is a huge cancer on this club too. Man doesnt give a ****! :mad:

https://twitter.com/Dean_Ryan77/status/958802705052520448

I hope he fails to pay so.

If that's true I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself. :pac: Called it way back with no info but was all that made sense. Ah well.

Back to the new manager. I’d rather Jorgi Lowe than the current incumbent. The other lads might not be available, and if Lowe was all we had, then so be it! I just want change and I want it now!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So whats the tweet about Stan say? :pac::(

• Advertisement

So whats the tweet about Stan say? :pac::(

"Stan Kroenke accounts show a $1bn loan using Arsenal FC as collateral, should he fail to pay that the bank will own Arsenal - this is why we aren't "competing with the best" - the guy is poison 🔴⚪️ #AFC #Arsenal"

Just reading Sanchez's stats from last night:

Chances created: 0
    Total shots: 0
    Passes: 53
    Passing accuracy: 81.13%
    Dribbles attempted: 3
    Dribbles success rate: 66.67%
    Possession lost: 20
    Touches: 76
    Touches in opposition box: 2

I know he will show his quality at some stage, but it's a bit easier to deal with him leaving when he puts in a performance like that.

I wouldn't pay much attention tbh. He's going to bang in a **** load of goals for them once her gets going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

j14 wrote: »
    I read a piece this morning saying Stan is using the Club as collateral against a $1 Billion loan for him to develop the new stadium in Inglewood for his LA Rams franchise.

Their new stadium opens in 2020.
    Stan is a huge cancer on this club too. Man doesnt give a ****! :mad:

https://twitter.com/Dean_Ryan77/status/958802705052520448

That's the piece I was talking about in my post earlier.

We definitely had 894 Tuesday night so could be...I reckon we'll break the 1000 barrier one of these days, have 99% possession......and lose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It's 894 total passes with 92% accuracy so actually 824 completed passes. Would have us third or 4th on that list if City haven't added to it since.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    It's 894 total passes with 92% accuracy so actually 824 completed passes. Would have us third or 4th on that list if City haven't added to it since.

Cheers...I was never any good at maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Plus he has benefitted from huge underage structural improvements in German football. Yes he still had to go out and prepare the team and he is well respected, fair enough, but the club game and the international game is a completely different dynamic and after 12 years it would take him some time to adjust.

The way i see it, if we are bold and ambitious enough to go for an Aubameyang, then we should be equally ambitious with the next managerial choice. Allegri or Simeone would be my two favourites.

At this stage, someone who could prepare a team and actually coach players would be a massive improvement.

We don't want another Wenger who was responsible for everything.

Let Lowe man manage the team and prepare them, let the Director of football worry about transfers and, if it comes to it, get someone else in to coach them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Don't for get questions for this week's podcast guys

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

DU9tNP8WsAETXCZ.jpg:large

My man. <3<3<3

Back to the new manager. I’d rather Jorgi Lowe than the current incumbent. The other lads might not be available, and if Lowe was all we had, then so be it! I just want change and I want it now!

As a stop gap though id prefer to go for an Ancelloti type manager until we can get the right guy when he is available. I honestly think we could get Allegri though but if we are insisting on flogging dead wood then the window of opportunity is smaller and smaller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I wouldn't pay much attention tbh. He's going to bang in a **** load of goals for them once her gets going.

They won't be playing Spurs away every week.

Although I do remember him banging one in at White Hart Lane for us.

Would the potential loew appointment have convinced ozil to stay or do ye reckon he was always going to stay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Would the potential loew appointment have convinced ozil to stay or do ye reckon he was always going to stay

Wolf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

https://twitter.com/MatDebuchy/status/959095424123588610?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fmetro.co.uk%2F2018%2F02%2F01%2Fmathieu-debuchy-admits-difficult-times-parting-message-arsenal-7280193%2F

nice touch mathieu shame about the injuries though , whos our backup right back can anyone tell me ? Seems like Bellerin is 1st on the team sheet with a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

pudzey101 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/MatDebuchy/status/959095424123588610?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fmetro.co.uk%2F2018%2F02%2F01%2Fmathieu-debuchy-admits-difficult-times-parting-message-arsenal-7280193%2F

nice touch mathieu shame about the injuries though , whos our backup right back can anyone tell me ? Seems like Bellerin is 1st on the team sheet with a long time
    Very good question, who plays RB when Bellerin gets injured? Kolasinac?

Ronan14 wrote: »

Ainsley Maitland Niles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Ronan14 wrote: »

i taught it was calum chambers but not sure , fcuk sake knowing wenger hed put auba there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

https://soundcloud.com/brian-oregan-932825069/bp-zone-episode-14

Here's the new pod lads plenty chat about Arsenal on this one and will be the way going forward

From this morning's presser -
    Aubameyang is ill and is to be assessed for tomorrow.

We'll he's settled in quickly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

^ Jack is still sick, will be assessed today if he can join the squad for tomorrow's game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

From this morning's presser -

We'll he's settled in quickly!

Well, as long as Nacho's fit, we'll be grand for goals.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Well, as long as Nacho's fit, we'll be grand for goals.

So will they, if he plays like the other night

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    Just looking at the squad there on the official website.

Its really, really small.

Santi's been named in the Europa League Squad :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement