Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭golfball37

You’d never think Tottenham’s wage bill is 50% that of their opponents today based on the desire shown by both teams. I don’t think we’ve any particularly outstanding players but the reason we deserve credit is we constantly finish above where we should based on wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

There isn't really much to add we all know the problem but the board refuse to fix it , so keep doing the same thing and expecting different results isn't that some sort of psycosis

We could throw 500 million at that team but as long as there is the same man in charge it won't change

golfball37 wrote: »
    You’d never think Tottenham’s wage bill is 50% that of their opponents today based on the desire shown by both teams. I don’t think we’ve any particularly outstanding players but the reason we deserve credit is we constantly finish above where we should based on wages.

I didn't even know there was a correlation between wages and desire. I guess Tottenham are doing well there.

To be honest, I didn't think they showed particularly more desire, they just played a pressing game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Imo ye need to forget about league position and go all out on the Europa like United last season, ye have more than enough to win it and Wenger has shown that he is still able to win Cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Was listening to Wenger on Newstalk and he said he had no issue at all with the Kane goal, and it was defo not a foul, FWIW.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Well done Sherlock.

Oh you are aware of this so? Because I thought like all of Spurs media luvvies you were blissfully unaware....my apologies.

Here's a fact for all the boardsies... Pat Jennings hadn't even turned 16 the last time Spurs won the league and look at the long career he went on to have :D

Inquitus wrote: »
    Was listening to Wenger on Newstalk and he said he had no issue at all with the Kane goal, and it was defo not a foul, FWIW.

I think one person in here said it was a foul, and somehow it's a big deal. Imagine if as big a deal was made of Kane and Alli's diving or unpunished leg-breaker tackles. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Oh you are aware of this so? Because I thought like all of Spurs media luvvies you were blissfully unaware....my apologies.

Here's a fact for all the boardsies... Pat Jennings hadn't even turned 16 the last time Spurs won the league and look at the long career he went on to have :D

Relax Sunshine. Everyone is aware of the fact Spurs have won nothing. The media reference it all the time. However, the last time Arsenal won the league Dele Alli and Harry Winks were 8. The point? Neither of us has won the league in a long time and the only thing still left at either club since either won it is Wenger. And, listening to Arsenal fans, he’s your biggest liability.

Fact is, Spurs continue to spend less than Arsenal on transfers and wages, we haven’t had a home game this season and we have a more demanding schedule. And despite all that, you’d be hard pressed to make a case that Arsenal are better than Spurs right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

emmetlego wrote: »
    I’ll give Mkhitaryan a pass, he was exceptional against Everton, so forgive him for this.

You could be getting used to that tbh. During his time at United he might have one outstanding game followed by 5 or 6 poor ones, he never seemed to hit any kind of consistent run of form with us. It's a shame cos on his day he is a lovely player to watch.

Who knows, maybe AW will be the man to help him reach his potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You could be getting used to that tbh. During his time at United he might have one outstanding game followed by 5 or 6 poor ones, he never seemed to hit any kind of consistent run of form with us. It's a shame cos on his day he is a lovely player to watch.

Who knows, maybe AW will be the man to help him reach his potential.
    :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    I think one person in here said it was a foul, and somehow it's a big deal. Imagine if as big a deal was made of Kane and Alli's diving or unpunished leg-breaker tackles. Bizarre.

At first glance it looked like he had his hands on koscs shoulders but tbh that's not why we lost either. Second half performance was piss poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Fact is, Spurs continue to spend less than Arsenal on transfers and wages,
    All you need is for them to give a trophy for that, then you can consider a big club like the rest of us. Until then, enjoy being forever the bridesmaid.
    we haven’t had a home game this season
    It's entirely your own choice to give up home advantage to chase the almighty dollar. Living up to your stereotypical reputation there ;)
    and we have a more demanding schedule. And despite all that, you’d be hard pressed to make a case that Arsenal are better than Spurs right now.
    The group stage in the Europa League has the same amount of games as the CL, and because we went further in the League cup, we've played more games than ye, so tell me again how your schedule is more demanding :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lads yez are both sh1t :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Wengers reaction to laca’s late miss tells a story.

Cech was good today in fairness to him after some poor performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

omega man wrote: »
    Wengers reaction to laca’s late miss tells a story.

Cech was good today in fairness to him after some poor performances.

What story does it tell?? Everyone had the same reaction! We were absolutely ****e, I was under no illusions that 2 signings was gonna turn the season around. Its only the start of a major restructuring which will take at least 2 years. I'm willing to wait it out. Until the defence and keeper is sorted out we won't move forward.Kos is finished, bellerin is frustrating as fcuk and cech is finished(today's performance is few and far between). Mustafi is either prime maldini or Igor bischan there's no inbetween. Fcuk all that finishing above spurs bollix, it means nothing if we're not winning the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

I meant in general, his frustration and the pressure not just with laca. Wenger rarely reacts like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Fact is, Spurs continue to spend less than Arsenal on transfers and wages, we haven’t had a home game this season and we have a more demanding schedule. And despite all that, you’d be hard pressed to make a case that Arsenal are better than Spurs right now.

No, the fact is that Arsenal continue to be the more successful football club. All that lovely football will be forgotten by everyone if it fails to bring you silverware and you lose your prized assets year after year. Trust us, we know all about it

omega man wrote: »
    I meant in general, his frustration and the pressure not just with laca. Wenger rarely reacts like that.

Wenger is about 8 seasons too late reacting like that.
    Most of us saw what was happening with Arsenal. Didn't he also buy Girvenho?
    It's either faux outrage or he's completely blind to the state of the team.

Quazzie wrote: »
    All you need is for them to give a trophy for that, then you can consider a big club like the rest of us. Until then, enjoy being forever the bridesmaid.

It's entirely your own choice to give up home advantage to chase the almighty dollar. Living up to your stereotypical reputation there ;)

The group stage in the Europa League has the same amount of games as the CL, and because we went further in the League cup, we've played more games than ye, so tell me again how your schedule is more demanding :rolleyes:

A hint of Anti Semitism in your post? Nice. On the stadium, the club has decided to move to a new stadium so the club can better compete, financially, with the Arsenal’s, United’s and Liverpool’s. Same thing Arsenal did 12 years ago.

I’d suggest that playing Madrid, Dortmund and Juve is a bit more taxing on a squad than sending out a few first team players, kids and fringe players to play Bate Borisov, Koln and Red Star Belgrade. We’ve also gone further in the FA Cup.

• Advertisement

A hint of Anti Semitism in your post? Nice. On the stadium, the club has decided to move to a new stadium so the club can better compete, financially, with the Arsenal’s, United’s and Liverpool’s. Same thing Arsenal did 12 years ago.
    We moved to a whole new stadium so we didn't have to play a season of away games. I think you'll find competing financially with United isn't going to be made possible by your recycled stadium. When your current "stars" start demanding the going rate, and you're also paying off the stadium, you'll find you might actually be worse off, but we'll sit back and enjoy as ye come to that realization. :D
    I’d suggest that playing Madrid, Dortmund and Juve is a bit more taxing on a squad than sending out a few first team players, kids and fringe players to play Bate Borisov, Koln and Red Star Belgrade. We’ve also gone further in the FA Cup.
    Firstly, ye didn't play Juventus yet, so it's disingenuous to include them in that list. Secondly ye made hard work of getting past Newport County, so I wouldn't be getting overly excited by your FA cup run just yet.

What is up with this thread lately? It used to be (for the most part) Arsenal fans talking about Arsenal, but lately every Tom, Dick and Harry feels the need to pop by and share their wisdom.

Probably has something to do with the lack of match threads of late.

Basil3 wrote: »

Probably has something to do with the lack of match threads of late.

Is that a new policy I missed. I rarely venture outside this thread on Boards because the sheer level of lunacy is amazing among some fans so I might have missed the memo

Is that a new policy I missed. I rarely venture outside this thread on Boards because the sheer level of lunacy is amazing among some fans so I might have missed the memo

No idea. I've PM'd one of the mods. I'll start our match threads going forward if it keeps the riff raff out a bit.

We moved to a whole new stadium so we didn't have to play a season of away games. I think you'll find competing financially with United isn't going to be made possible by your recycled stadium. When your current "stars" start demanding the going rate, and you're also paying off the stadium, you'll find you might actually be worse off, but we'll sit back and enjoy as ye come to that realization. :D

Firstly, ye didn't play Juventus yet, so it's disingenuous to include them in that list. Secondly ye made hard work of getting past Newport County, so I wouldn't be getting overly excited by your FA cup run just yet.

I think you'll find I said "better compete" financially with the likes of United, Arsenal and Liverpool. I'm sure you can figure out the difference between that and what you're implying. I'd also suggest that, having finished ahead of United two seasons in a row and being only a handful of points behind them this year, we're not doing too bad a job competing with them and extra revenue from the stadium will only help us.

There is a good chance that our stars will look for more money and it'll be interesting to see how we react. They may leave. The great thing is though that we have competent people running the club with an actual strategy. So even if they do leave, we've tied them to long term contracts which means we'll get a nice big hefty fee. We won't see our best players phone in the last six months and walk out the door for a sub-standard replacement or have a player who turns up once every six weeks hold us to ransom for an extortionate salary. We'll then replace them with hungry home grown/scouted players.

Finally, it's very relevant to use Juventus. When Pochettino is planning for 4 huge games within 3 weeks, he has to decide which players can play when and have an eye on all the games not just the next one. Planning for a game against Ostersund doesn't have the same impact on Wenger's thinking for Premier League games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Thanks for stopping by, be sure to do so again when you actually win a trophy!

• Advertisement

Will do sir. Bye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭golfball37

All those FA cups have made ye really happy shur. Judging by this whole thread by enlarge, ye miss the fictitious 4th place trophy we are in the running for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

All those FA cups have made ye really happy shur. Judging by this whole thread by enlarge, ye miss the fictitious 4th place trophy we are in the running for.

by enlarge?

Ahhh leave him alone, he’s not used to this level of class... Will take them some time before they catch up :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

This thread wouldn’t be any different if Arsenal finished top 4 last year and were on course to do the same this year. League competitiveness is all we care about and we’re a long way off that...as are Spurs in the grand scheme of things

• Advertisement

DJ3NWdeX0AAbYAm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Jesus lads leave it go!

DJ3NWdeX0AAbYAm.jpg

Anti Semitism and using the word “mong” in the last few pages.

Keep it classy lads...ye aren’t Chelsea.

I didn’t see any anti Semitic sentiment at all, but I guess if you want to see something badly enough, it will appear. That’s a very strong accusation and I suggest you withdraw it. Only thing worse than racism or anti Semitic posts, are those accusing in the wrong!

I didn’t see any anti Semitic sentiment at all, but I guess if you want to see something badly enough, it will appear. That’s a very strong accusation and I suggest you withdraw it. Only thing worse than racism or anti Semitic posts, are those accusing in the wrong!

I refer you to Quazzie’s post at 9:53 last night. A reference to us chasing the almighty dollar as per our stereotypical reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I watched the highlights of our game against Spurs. They should have had 4 or 5. A 1-0 result flattered us. We have been worried that our defence is bad, not doing too good upfront either

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I watched the highlights of our game against Spurs. They should have had 4 or 5. A 1-0 result flattered us. We have been worried that our defence is bad, not doing too good upfront either

Yes Spurs had 4 good chances from headers where our CB's didn't even get off the ground to challenge. We are awful defensively and it's been like that for years.

Yes Spurs had 4 good chances from headers where our CB's didn't even get off the ground to challenge. We are awful defensively and it's been like that for years.

We don't to seem to buy defenders that can jump. It's very strange. I wonder if jumping is something that could be practiced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

DJ3NWdeX0AAbYAm.jpg

I hate this type of crap.

Spurs outplayed us yesterday, there's simply nothing more to it. This "banter" is pure cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

And you lot should be slagging off Wenger and the club. Not spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

The insecurity of Spurs fans coming in here to point out that pundits say their goal was legit is hilarious.

Enjoy the win lads. Ye are still 20 points off the lead and will win nothing this year. Same as ourselves but at least we are realistic about how dire we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Nobody would dare slag off Wenger in here.

I hate this type of crap.

Spurs outplayed us yesterday, there's simply nothing more to it. This "banter" is pure cringe.

And i have acknowledged that but the media bs praising a team to the hilt that won absolutely fcuckin nothing sickens me and at the same time the same people are quick to stick the boot into Arsenal. The likes of that sh1thead Rio Ferdinand.

Perhaps its because one is a big club who are faltering and the other is a small club who have improved or perhaps its because of their fabled 'British Core'.

Im well aware of the problems at Arsenal but being honest ive seen far worse performances from us.

Ive said that the manager should go countless times and ive been absolutely roasted on this page for it so im going to say no more and hope for the best that he does. I dont think Aubameyang will make a difference if they are not giving him enough ball.

Ive said that the manager should go countless times and ive been absolutely roasted on this page for it so im going to say no more and hope for the best that he does. I dont think Aubameyang will make a difference if they are not giving him enough ball.

You've been roasted for saying Wenger should go? I'd say virtually everyone on here agrees with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Nobody ever gives Wenger grief in here.

Ever.

I refer you to Quazzie’s post at 9:53 last night. A reference to us chasing the almighty dollar as per our stereotypical reputation.
    That is a giant leap to call that anti Semitic. No a friggin humongous leap!!! As I said people who look for offense hard enough, usually find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

We got bigger problems then spurs!
    Anyways it seems Sanchez move to United is proving to be a side step lol

That is a giant leap to call that anti Semitic. No a friggin humongous leap!!! As I said people who look for offense hard enough, usually find it!

No it’s not. It’s accusing Spurs of being money obsessed because of their Jewish heritage. Clearly that’s what the poster was driving at and that’s clearly anti-Semitic. Poor of you to deny it. Kevin Myers lost his job for a similar sentiment:

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.independent.co.uk/voices/kevin-myer-sunday-times-anti-semitism-bbc-pay-row-a7867981.html%3famp

By the way, I’m not offended - not even in the slightest. I’m not Jewish. It just shows a lack of class from the poster and the same from you to try and gloss over it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

You're not offended? You certainly seem to be.

I didn't take any anti-Semitic views from that post. Wasn't aware Levy was of Jewish background either tbh as I don't have that much of an interest in him. I just assumed from how he gets a lot of money from selling any player. He's known as being very shrewd in that regard. I'm not even an arsenal fan so no reason for me to be trying to get a dig in at spurs. I'm merely pointing out that I think you've grasped the wrong end of the straw here and over-reacted in a massive way.

Unless the poster has a history of it, I think you're in the wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement