Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Right you can do one. You’re a complete drama queen, comparing that comment to Kevin Myers!!! Ha ha. Typical Spuds fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Yawns wrote: »
    You're not offended? You certainly seem to be.

I didn't take any anti-Semitic views from that post. Wasn't aware Levy was of Jewish background either tbh as I don't have that much of an interest in him. I just assumed from how he gets a lot of money from selling any player. He's known as being very shrewd in that regard. I'm not even an arsenal fan so no reason for me to be trying to get a dig in at spurs. I'm merely pointing out that I think you've grasped the wrong end of the straw here and over-reacted in a massive way.

Unless the poster has a history of it, I think you're in the wrong.

Jaysus buddy, if I was offended I’d be reporting it to the mods. I’m not remotely offended. Like I say, I’m not Jewish and have no connection to the religion.

Spurs Jewish heritage is very well known. If you weren’t aware of that you don’t follow football too closely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Move on pal. It's a thread for discussing arsenal.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Right you can do one. You’re a complete drama queen, comparing that comment to Kevin Myers!!! Ha ha. Typical Spuds fan!

Can you tell me what the difference was in the sentiment behind the comments?

Myers said, in relation to two Jewish women “Jews are not generally noted for selling their talent for the lowest price possible.”

The poster said “It’s entirely your own choice to give up home advantage to chase the almighty dollar. Living up to your stereotypical reputation there.”

If one is anti-Semitic, so is the other. Like I say, it doesn’t offend me. I just find it strange that we have people posting that sort of thing and calling Harry Kane a “mong” and it seems to be okay.

Pter wrote: »

Will do. Enjoy the discussion.

• Advertisement

Pter wrote: »
    It worked. I wish I had your powers of persuasion! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭golfball37

Yawns wrote: »
    You're not offended? You certainly seem to be.

I didn't take any anti-Semitic views from that post. Wasn't aware Levy was of Jewish background either tbh as I don't have that much of an interest in him. I just assumed from how he gets a lot of money from selling any player. He's known as being very shrewd in that regard. I'm not even an arsenal fan so no reason for me to be trying to get a dig in at spurs. I'm merely pointing out that I think you've grasped the wrong end of the straw here and over-reacted in a massive way.

Unless the poster has a history of it, I think you're in the wrong.

The “I just assumed line” is very interesting and revealing. I think the poster Dean Austin was onto something

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Interview if anyone is interested with Graham Potter who is the Östersunds FK (who Arsenal play in the europa) coach. Not a bad read.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/outliers/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

golfball37 wrote: »
    The “I just assumed line” is very interesting and revealing. I think the poster Dean Austin was onto something

Is he? Am I anti-Semitic now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I'll clarify that I assumed the chasing the almighty dollar was in relation to Levy not letting his players go on the cheap and pretty much always getting top dollar for them. He's also known for paying lower than market rate wages in regards to Kane etc at the moment.

But hey that must mean I hate Jews even tho I couldn't give a figs about anyone's religion. Really weird mindset being revealed here alright and I certainly don't think it's mine for once!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

27 points behind city is just incredible at this stage of the season. Even 9 points behind pool is embarrassing enough. Wondering where rock bottom will be....

I saw yesterday we haven’t beaten a top 5 team away since City in 2015. Can’t see us being any worse off under any other manager and I pretty much mean anyone!

Would be great to know he was leaving end of this season and for the fans to get behind him and the team and see if we can win some silverware, ideally the europa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

So lads, basically we are all Hitler because we hate Spurs
    Jaysus these spurs lads are awful sore winners...must be a lack of vitamin d from all those years in the shadows.

Do you know the funny (peculiar, not ha ha) thing about yesterday, while I was looking forward to the game, I was not angry at the end. I wasn't pee'd off. I was kind of expecting it, and even at the abject performance (save the last 10 minutes) I was numb to it. I've become numb to Arsenal..... That's a new low for me. I can't even come up with a good reason to stop my young lad supporting Liverpool, even his dad has given up hope and said this morning, that maybe we should just give in. I mean why would we want him to suffer under this cloud like we have? Let him support who he wants, at least he can't blame us later in life if his sporting memories are miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Not pool though emmetlego, not them man. I couldn’t live with that, anyone but them (or Utd).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Do you know the funny (peculiar, not ha ha) thing about yesterday, while I was looking forward to the game, I was not angry at the end. I wasn't pee'd off. I was kind of expecting it, and even at the abject performance (save the last 10 minutes) I was numb to it. I've become numb to Arsenal..... That's a new low for me. I can't even come up with a good reason to stop my young lad supporting Liverpool, even his dad has given up hope and said this morning, that maybe we should just give in. I mean why would we want him to suffer under this cloud like we have? Let him support who he wants, at least he can't blame us later in life if his sporting memories are miserable.

Believe me he will suffer just as much growing up supporting Liverpool.

Had this conversation last night with my 7yo boy....I was proud as punch when the silly fcuker said he follows Arsenal because that "his team" and it doesnt matter that City are winning all the time because his nana follows City and he can be happy for her.
    Ive a massive picture of the invincibles in the games room(not rich,converted garage lol) and the young lad just keeps saying "we did it before,we'll do it again,we just need a new manager"...good lad he's been listening to me and knows this slump is temporary,change the management and our fortunes will change for the better.....keep the faith lads,we've been through worse times than this!!!

He's just not being inspired! He sat down to watch the Toffee's game with me and the hubby and said that Aubameyang would be like Henry and that maybe he's gonna support the Gunners. We were chuffed. But then the Spuds game happened. So that's one positive moment for him supporting the club in about 20 negative experiences.... It'll break our heart, but We want him to be happy! And as I said, if it means he can't blame us for his sporting misery, then that's a bonus! His goldfish is called Dennis if that's any consolation!

He's just not being inspired! He sat down to watch the Toffee's game with me and the hubby and said that Aubameyang would be like Henry and that maybe he's gonna support the Gunners. We were chuffed. But then the Spuds game happened. So that's one positive moment for him supporting the club in about 20 negative experiences.... It'll break our heart, but We want him to be happy! And as I said, if it means he can't blame us for his sporting misery, then that's a bonus! His goldfish is called Dennis if that's any consolation!

Ah I see,my lad didnt get a choice of who he supported,hes the 4th generation of Gunner in our family.
    He was out of the womb and into an Arsenal babygro:D
    Ive been spending this season trying to console him by explaining that when I was his age Arsenal were finishing mid-table and he cant believe it!!
    Im amazed at his positivity that things will get better and to be brutally honest its him thats keeping the little flicker of a flame I have left burning.
    Like you Im totally numb with the shitshow happening right now but the optimistic little feck wont let go that things will change.
    In all fairness though he remembers FA Cup finals and hes seen us win 3,I cant bring myself to tell him that its really a Premier League title thats important but hes a kid and hes seen us winning trophies and in his little mind that means we are winners and you can be damn sure I wont be taking that away from him.

He was also distraught yesterday at losing to those scum down seven sisters rd...he knows we dont like losing to Spurs.

I laughed at the goldfishes name:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thanks for stopping by, be sure to do so again when you actually win a trophy!
    DeanAustin wrote: »
    Will do sir. Bye.

Boards will be well gone before he comes back :D

EDIT: Seems he didn't go, but instead came back in a huff over a comment.

If you think I am anti-semitic then I challenge you to find any post in my history (over 20k) to back up your claim.

Otherwise please ease off on the racism accusations.

He asked Santa for a Liverpool jersey by the way... I spent 400 euro on a frigggen Play Station to stop his angst!

But we can't do it anymore. We won't encourage him to support them, but we can't stop it now. Unless Arsenal have a crazy run of results? That is not going to happen. He says he'll still support the Gunners as his 2nd team. Look, I gave birth to him. I love him OK!!! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

We got bigger problems then spurs!
    Anyways it seems Sanchez move to United is proving to be a side step lol

A sidestep.......from 6th placed team, to 2nd placed team......a sidestep.....nice to see Miki up to his usual level of performance for ye too. Offensive football all the way.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Offensive

Indeed. Just like your manager and a lot of the previous incumbents.

We only accept ladies and gentlemen here in this thread. Please do one, like the Spuds clown before you! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

This thread has reached a new low over the last 24 hours but I'm glad to say it's none of the regulars that are to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Basil3 wrote: »
    What is up with this thread lately? It used to be (for the most part) Arsenal fans talking about Arsenal, but lately every Tom, Dick and Harry feels the need to pop by and share their wisdom.

Probably has something to do with the lack of match threads of late.

Because we are witnessing the last days of Rome. A once mighty empire under Wenger is soon to be in smithereens. It’s one of the most compelling sports stories rumbling on right now and it’s ending is sure to come with a ton of recrimination and debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Because we are witnessing the last days of Rome. A once mighty empire under Wenger is soon to be in smithereens. It’s one of the most compelling sports stories rumbling on right now and it’s ending is sure to come with a ton of recrimination and debate.

Hardly debate, Spurs fans gloating over their latest win even though we doubled their tally in the Emirates and United fans sticking the boot in because Mkhitaryan had a poor performance even though his efforts against Everton alone have surpassed all of Sanchez’s contributions in his 4 games thus far

That aside, Wenger has to go. What’s there to talk about?

Until he goes every dropped point gets dissected. People can’t look away at a slow motion car crash, rightly or wrongly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Can't even revert to old-time classics ' What was Wenger thinking , bringing Walcott on so early' :(

Until he goes every dropped point gets dissected. People can’t look away at a slow motion car crash, rightly or wrongly.

Jaysis, if a dropped point is going to bring them in we're going be flooded with nonsense before years end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

omega man wrote: »
    Would be great to know he was leaving end of this season and for the fans to get behind him and the team and see if we can win some silverware, ideally the europa.

You must be joking, he'd sign a 5 year contract if he won anymore silverware especially Europa. The worst thing for Arsenal is him winning any silverware this season or getting back into the CL. You know well enough how stubborn and arrogant he is, for the best of this club's future this man must not get top 4, win the Europa or even the League cup. I get the hate from Arsene FC lot and "you are not a Arsenal supporter" but I'm thinking of the good of this club's future.

• Advertisement

Looper007 wrote: »
    You must be joking, he'd sign a 5 year contract if he won anymore silverware especially Europa. The worst thing for Arsenal is him winning any silverware this season or getting back into the CL. You know well enough how stubborn and arrogant he is, for the best of this club's future this man must not get top 4, win the Europa or even the League cup. I get the hate from Arsene FC lot and "you are not a Arsenal supporter" but I'm thinking of the good of this club's future.

With Man City winning the league (almost guaranteed at this stage) are we guaranteed a EL spot for next year even if we lose the League Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Quazzie wrote: »
    With Man City winning the league (almost guaranteed at this stage) are we guaranteed a EL spot for next year even if we lose the League Cup?

Did Southampton make the EL this year through losing the CL final to United? If so I think that answers your question.

Had forgotten about that!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ah jaysis Lloyd, what a load of bollocks! A Spurs fan coming in and gloating (and going very odd with antisemitism claims!) is absolutely nothing to do with a "once mighty empire" declining. I think you've massively overanalysed that one...

Ah jaysis Lloyd, what a load of bollocks! A Spurs fan coming in and gloating (and going very odd with antisemitism claims!) is absolutely nothing to do with a "once mighty empire" declining. I think you've massively overanalysed that one...

Ah here. I didn’t come to gloat at all. I was addressing a claim from one of your fans that “without Harry Kane, Spurs are very ordinary.” The same fella who put up a post about Kane being a mong.

On the anti-Semitism stuff, I don’t really want to carry on the debate but you should ask yourself why the poster referenced Spurs “stereotypical reputation for chasing the almighty dollar” with a winking emoji. What do you think he was talking about?

So lads. Ostersunds on Thursday....

Second string team surely with Lacca to start?

• Advertisement

Ah here. I didn’t come to gloat at all. I was addressing a claim from one of your fans that “without Harry Kane, Spurs are very ordinary.” The same fella who put up a post about Kane being a mong.

On the anti-Semitism stuff, I don’t really want to carry on the debate but you should ask yourself why the poster referenced Spurs “stereotypical reputation for chasing the almighty dollar” with a winking emoji. What do you think he was talking about?

Why not ask me directly instead of making outlandish claims?

I was referring to the fact that at Spurs, everything has a price. No player is "hands off" but instead, it's how much. Ye have a reputation for selling at incredibly high prices and buying, and paying the lower rate. And as you have said before, if players look for more, ye will gladly sell, and replace with different players who won't. Ye have made this reputation for yourselves, by your actions, and not by some long lost link to Judaism.

Second string team surely with Lacca to start?

Possibly, although we don't have another match again until the home leg next Thursday, followed by EFL Cup final against City on the Sunday. A few first choice players might play on Thursday since there's such a gap between weekend matches.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Possibly, although we don't have another match again until the home leg next Thursday, followed by EFL Cup final against City on the Sunday. A few first choice players might play on Thursday since there's such a gap between weekend matches.

Yea, play a full strength team this Thursday, hopefully rack up a bit of a score, then chance the reserves in the following leg, which would leave our first XI rested for the final.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Why not ask me directly instead of making outlandish claims?

I was referring to the fact that at Spurs, everything has a price. No player is "hands off" but instead, it's how much. Ye have a reputation for selling at incredibly high prices and buying, and paying the lower rate. And as you have said before, if players look for more, ye will gladly sell, and replace with different players who won't. Ye have made this reputation for yourselves, by your actions, and not by some long lost link to Judaism.

Well I’ll be honest, I don’t believe you.

The phrasing of your post, by using the word “stereotype” and the winking emoji, says something completely different to me.

Secondly, Spurs are no more a selling club than Arsenal. Who is the last big player we sold? You might make a case for Walker but he was hardly one of our superstars. You’d have to go back to Bale. So if Spurs have a reputation for chasing the dollar then you’d have to say Liverpool (Suarez, Coutinho) and Arsenal (van Persie, Fabregas, Sanchez) would share it.

Since Bale, other clubs in the top 6 have sold off their biggest assets. Also, Spurs have never “chased the almighty dollar”. They’ve gotten a good fee whenever someone has come knocking and the player has been unsettled but Levy hasn’t been hawking our good players to other clubs for a price (quite the opposite in fact).

I think you’ll also find that Levy and Pochettino have clearly stated that we won’t sell anyone we don’t want to sell. They’ve said it repeatedly and had their resolve tested last summer with Man U and Eric Dier. So they very definitely have said “hands off”.

However, I’ve no interest in continuing the argument with you. You say you meant something. I think you meant something else. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

The phrasing of your post, by using the word “stereotype” and the winking emoji, says something completely different to me.

Secondly, Spurs are no more a selling club than Arsenal. Who is the last big player we sold? You might make a case for Walker but he was hardly one of our superstars. You’d have to go back to Bale. So if Spurs have a reputation for chasing the dollar then you’d have to say Liverpool (Suarez, Coutinho) and Arsenal (van Persie, Fabregas, Sanchez) would share it.

Since Bale, other clubs in the top 6 have sold off their biggest assets. Also, Spurs have never “chased the almighty dollar”. They’ve gotten a good fee whenever someone has come knocking and the player has been unsettled but Levy hasn’t been hawking our good players to other clubs for a price (quite the opposite in fact).

I think you’ll also find that Levy and Pochettino have clearly stated that we won’t sell anyone we don’t want to sell. They’ve said it repeatedly and had their resolve tested last summer with Man U and Eric Dier. So they very definitely have said “hands off”.

However, I’ve no interest in continuing the argument with you. You say you meant something. I think you meant something else. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

Nobody gives a **** about Bale or Levy in here, keep it to the Spurs thread please.

• Advertisement

I don't really care.

That's the important bit right there. You chose to take a certain way and no one here can influence that.

The three examples you give for Arsenal players were all sold well below their true value at the time of sale.

Just ignore him lads, he’ll get bored soon enough if we don’t feed him!

Mod: Stop. Now.

If you don't really want to carry on the debate, then maybe stop doing it? It's entirely nonsensical and ends here. I was going to say this yesterday, but you had the grace to back out before I had to. Then you came back.

I was responding to a guy asking why the thread is generally getting traffic from rival fans on a regular basis. The anti semitism stuff is whatever as far as I'm concerned.

I was responding to a guy asking why the thread is generally getting traffic from rival fans on a regular basis. The anti semitism stuff is whatever as far as I'm concerned.

But even in general, come on, the Wenger stuff has dragged on for years. How many crises have we been through now? I think you're taking a bit of a leap by concluding that a bit of weird thread behaviour over the last few weeks is related to Arsenals decline as a whole.

To a certain extent, I could understand the Utd fans popping in when the Sanchez/Mkhitaryan swap was happening, but the influx of Spuds was just a bit of gloating as far as I can tell, and the whole anti Semitic thing was real guffaw territory!

I may not try and stop my lad becoming a Pool fan, but if he ever came through the door in that white jersey, I’d pack his bags for him on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Quazzie wrote:
    That's the important bit right there. You chose to take a certain way and no one here can influence that.

To be fair it did look like it was referencing spurs being Jewish. Very easy to lie about it later. But likewise the offended party has to take the word of the poster. You cant prove or disprove sentiment.

Just to be clear I dont know if it was meant that way. I am just saying that on the internet its hard to read sentiment and very easy to take things the wrong way. Sometimes its best to just explain once and move on. There are far more serious things in life to worry about than something online that probably has no actual; affect on the two individuals debating the interpretation of a comment.

Mr.H wrote: »
    To be fair it did look like it was referencing spurs being Jewish. Very easy to lie about it later.

To be fair..That's not really fair at all...

Report the post and stop clogging the thread with this sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

To be fair..That's not really fair at all...

Report the post and stop clogging the thread with this sh1te.

See my edited post

Mr.H wrote: »
    To be fair it did look like it was referencing spurs being Jewish. Very easy to lie about it later.

Plenty of people, many who read my posts, and know my stance on here, have taken it the way it was intended. Storming into a thread to gloat, then accusing someone of antisemitism, when you have zero idea of a poster's history or posting style on something you perceived incorrectly is in poor form, and goes against the run of this thread.

Just to add, if anyone wants to discuss this further with me, they can do so via PM because this thread has been derailed enough so this will be my last post on the matter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement