Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I was busy tonight and only checked the score now. Delighted I missed it because I don't think my heart could have taken that. Were we THAT bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

omega man wrote: »
    City will be overwhelming favourites on Sunday so there’s that going for us at least. We might actually bring our A game in typical arsenal style.

Is Ramsey out? Iwobi to bench please.

I got us at 13/5 with good old Paddy, I'd say it will have probably drifted out further now after tonights performance. Ramsey is injured as far as I know. Iwobi has to be dropped to f*ck he looked great in his first few games (what like a year or two ago now) but he is clueless lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

I was busy tonight and only checked the score now. Delighted I missed it because I don't think my heart could have taken that. Were we THAT bad?

They played us off the park in the first half, could of easily had 3. Second half copped on a bit got a goal should of had more, poor old Danny missed a couple of sitters he needed to score. They played well, we were dire but deserved to go through just about over the two legs. Dunno how much faith I'll have in us when we meet a big team in the next round.

https://soundcloud.com/brian-oregan-932825069/bp-zone-episode-17

Be up on Itunes and Stitcher later aswell

also at the end I go through what I meant by my AFTV comment .....much easier to say it out than type it. basically it just frustrates me that fans of other clubs use it as a stick to beat Arsenal with

17 editions already?? :eek: Fair play. My god it feels like yesterday since you done your first. Well done. I do think you benefit from having a sidekick because you seem to be that bit conscious that you were talking on your own tonight. It came through in your commentary. But you have grown from strength to strength. Keep up the good work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Worse that you can imagine.

• Advertisement

Worse that you can imagine.

Arrived in for it late at half time. My father met me at the door with exclamation marks at the end of each sentence. "A fúcking disgrace! An absolute fúcking disgrace!'.

I managed to catch extended highlights. So yeah we're going out of this cup the second we draw a half decent club.

Ok so as annoyed as I am at that mostly second string team playing like crap and almost ALMOST f*cking the tie up another part of me is asking why should they care or bother...none of them are getting in the team for Sunday, Wenger has that team picked months ago. Form means nothing to Wenger when you see the likes of Xhaka playing week in week out and he's absolute dog sh*t.

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭rodders999

The players are just showing the same level of disinterest and disdain towards the EL as the idiot in charge does.

Every time Wenger is asked about us getting back into the CL via wining the Europa League he visibly bristles and says that getting back there by finishing in the top 4 is the main priority.

I can guarantee you now that if you were to give him the choice of CL qualification via top 4 finish or by lifting actual silverware in Europe he’d pick top 4 - every day of the ****ing week.

And while we’re talking of guarantees, another thing I can 100% guarantee is that if by some absolute miracle we were to win the EL he would still say that qualifying for The Be All And End All 20 years in a row is still the bigger achievement than actually winning the Europa.

So is it any wonder with a loser mind-set like that we are such an absolute **** show? Remember the time he said he’d sign up for finishing second in the league for the next 20 years?

He has ingrained a loser mentality in the club with talk like that and also his fabled Top 4 trophy remark.

Please, please, please......JUST GO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Out of interest, is the cup final this weekend on a channel that I dont need a subscription to watch? ie ITV/BBC/RTE?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

DvB wrote: »
    Out of interest, is the cup final this weekend on a channel that I dont need a subscription to watch? ie ITV/BBC/RTE?

Sky sports

• Advertisement

rodders999 wrote: »
    The players are just showing the same level of disinterest and disdain towards the EL as the idiot in charge does.

Every time Wenger is asked about us getting back into the CL via wining the Europa League he visibly bristles and says that getting back there by finishing in the top 4 is the main priority.

I can guarantee you now that if you were to give him the choice of CL qualification via top 4 finish or by lifting actual silverware in Europe he’d pick top 4 - every day of the ****ing week.

And while we’re talking of guarantees, another thing I can 100% guarantee is that if by some absolute miracle we were to win the EL he would still say that qualifying for The Be All And End All 20 years in a row is still the bigger achievement than actually winning the Europa.

So is it any wonder with a loser mind-set like that we are such an absolute **** show? Remember the time he said he’d sign up for finishing second in the league for the next 20 years?

He has ingrained a loser mentality in the club with talk like that and also his fabled Top 4 trophy remark.

Please, please, please......JUST GO.

I suspect he's aware there are strong teams in the EL that will actually try to win it, e.g. Lyon & Atletico Madrid... but the lack of respect by pretty much everyone at the club for the competition means we wont even have to draw one of the bigger sides for that to matter. He knows well the will to win it isn't there hence the clutching at the top 4... which merely reinforces the fact he's lost touch.
    We are a club with delusions of grandeur but are unwilling to make the changes required to keep up with the jones's... result = a dogs breakfast of a mess that could take years & billions to address.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

What happens when the winner of the EL has already qualified for CL via their league position?

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Basil3 wrote: »
    What happens when the winner of the EL has already qualified for CL via their league position?

Thats an interesting question.

I suspect the next placed team in the EL winners league will be awarded the additional place. Whatever about the winner getting into the CL I can't see UEFA allowing the runner up being awarded it, though I admit this is pure speculation on my part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I didn't think Iwobi was that bad last night. Jack, Welbeck and Mikhi (to name just 3) were far worse. There was little movement around him yesterday for him to make incisive passes to so he held onto the ball much longer than he wanted to

duplicate which my phone won't let me delete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

greendom wrote: »
    I didn't think Iwobi was that bad last night. Jack, Welbeck and Mikhi (to name just 3) were far worse. There was little movement around him yesterday for him to make incisive passes to so he held onto the ball much longer than he wanted to

No one came out of last night's game with their head's held high. A disgraceful performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

17 editions already?? :eek: Fair play. My god it feels like yesterday since you done your first. Well done. I do think you benefit from having a sidekick because you seem to be that bit conscious that you were talking on your own tonight. It came through in your commentary. But you have grown from strength to strength. Keep up the good work

Thanks very much man yeah even seems bizarre that's it's been 17 weeks doesn't feel that long at all . And yeah I did miss Jamie this week I think it's more to do with id gotten used to having him and I hadn't done a solo one in a bit. But I think you guys have a lot to do with how I've gotten so many done for the questions and opinions people send in every week so thanks for that and please continue 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Europa League Round of 16 Draw time ;)

ARSENAL v AC MILAN haha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Well, we didn't get Athletico.

That's good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Round of 16 Draw

Lazio (ITA) v Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
    Leipzig (GER) v Zenit (RUS)
    Atlético (ESP) v Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS)
    CSKA Moskva (RUS) v Lyon (FRA)
    Marseille (FRA) v Athletic (ESP)
    Sporting CP (POR) v Plzeň (CZE)
    Dortmund (GER) v Salzburg (AUT)
    Milan (ITA) v Arsenal (ENG)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

I know its a big if, but if we play to our full potential i wouldnt fear Milan at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

AC Milan (Italy) v Arsenal (England)

Bit of glamour.

We're better than them.

Want revenge for the 3-4 agg a few years back.

All in all, it doesn't matter who we have to play in this. All that matters is which Arsenal turns up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Are Milan still shít? They have that decent goalkeeper don't they?

I think they've kinda turned it around a bit since Christmas with Gattuso in charge.

Oh, holy f*ck I would give anything for Gattuso in his prime to be dropped into the heart of our midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

We started the season awful but Gattuso has been turning things around since Christmas and looking fairly promising now, some of the big summer signings like Çalhanoğlu and Rodriquez starting to show some class. Probably a bad time to play them.

25 games 41 points in Seria A leaves them in 7th place so their like the Arsenal of Italy.

Shïte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The tie to be completed before Lacazette will be back. Wouldn't hold out much hope of going through with Welbeck up front. I've always liked the guy and wanted him to do well, but he's just shíte. Would be interesting to see what clubs would be in for him if he were moved on this summer, bottom of the premier league at best I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I'd be worried about the away leg. Can easily see Arsenal let a few goals in.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭rodders999

I'd much rather see Eddie given a go than have to endure Well-wide stink up the place for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Basil3 wrote: »

There is no extra place then, the winning club takes their place in the CL proper as EL winners so they don't have to go through qualification stages.

Welbeck wasn't always this bad. Is it that he has not recovered properly from his injury or that his confidence is shot?
    Probably a bit of both. Real shame that shot at the end of last night's game didn't go in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Welbeck wasn't always this bad. Is it that he has not recovered properly from his injury or that his confidence is shot?
    Probably a bit of both. Real shame that shot at the end of last night's game didn't go in.

Yes he was and he is. At the highest level, his touch, his passing, his finishing and just all round ability isn't there. He's very athletic but thats about it. He's a championship level striker and always has been. He isn't good enough to play premier league football, let alone a top side.

He isn't the first average player to spend many years at United and moving to Arsenal didn't change that. It just made him injury prone too. :p

not saying he was great. But he was competent. Now he looks inept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He can run and get to a breaking ball first. He is not too bad in the air.
    BUT when he gets the ball he is as likely to fall over it as he is to find a team-mate. His finishing is very poor, maybe a goal per every 12 chances which is far from Premier League standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Question for everyone (and possibly for Brian's podcast):

Would you take Chamakh at his best or Welbeck at his best?

"Fun" fact: In Welbeck's best season at Arsenal, he scored 8 goals and got 6 assists (all competitions).

In Chamakh's best season, he scored 11 goals and got 8 assists (all competitions).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Chamakh of course. Something happened him soon after he joined us I think that affected him greatly.

I was genuinely happy to see him come to us. It wasn't an ideal transfer window and looked a bit panicky but I was happy to have him seeing what he did for united. He started well for us too but his form/confidence has gone off a cliff since. Happens so many Arsenal players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Think we've seen it with so many players , start off amazing even as far back to Reyes

Reyes , Arshavin, Chamakh, Wellbeck, Wilshire (to a lesser extent) Iwobi and others all start off great and then for whatever reason there form falls off a cliff , Kolasinac and Lacazette aswell this season, there is only one constant with all those

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Think we've seen it with so many players , start off amazing even as far back to Reyes

Reyes , Arshavin, Chamakh, Wellbeck, Wilshire (to a lesser extent) Iwobi and others all start off great and then for whatever reason there form falls off a cliff , Kolasinac and Lacazette aswell this season, there is only one constant with all those

Vermalaen, mustafi, xhaka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I'd be worried about the away leg. Can easily see Arsenal let a few goals in.

I don't think this be a easy tie as some on here think it be. Especially away from home, we've lost to way worse teams then Milan away. Especially with Welbeck up front worries me. If the Italian's get a decent lead at home, they will shut up shop and make it tough for us at our place. I wouldn't surprise if we won or lost this, really all comes down to the away leg for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Vermalaen, mustafi, xhaka.

Bellerin not far behind them

Wenger is guilty of not playing alot of players in their strongest position for one. The care free down tools attitude is down to his shoddy management too. The board need to sack him. You cant live off your past achievements with the most recent major achievement coming 14 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I'm dreading tomorrow. If only our men could show the same heart as the Scottish rugby team!!

emmetlego wrote: »
    I'm dreading tomorrow. If only our men could show the same heart as the Scottish rugby team!!

Funny enough I think we'll show up at the very least tomorrow and give it a good rattle. Can't ask more then that. If we show urgency we are as good as any team. I'm going either 1-0 or 2-1 to the Arsenal :)

Unfortunately pride for a nation in rugby will never be matched by pride for a club in football. I'd be happy if they just tried a bit harder :D

I'm dreading it, yet confident.

Football is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I'm dreading it, yet confident.

Football is stupid.

Football fans are. I'm convinced...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We have no Laca or Ramsey. We have Welbeck.

I can't see us scoring more than one.
    I can't see our defenders conceding less than one.

I'm no Mystic Meg though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement