Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Today looked like the players have stopped playing for the manager.
    There can't be many more nails for this coffin.

Tbh, in a Cup final the players should be playing for themselves! If they need the manager to big them up for a Final there is something very wrong with each and every one of their mentalities. That’s not a manager problem, that’s a player problem..

Though I thoroughly believe Wenger has been finished years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I actually really like Arsenal. Since the Henry, Vieira, Pires, Ljungberg, Bergkamp team, I've always enjoyed them doing well as long as it wasn't at Liverpool's expense.

It's genuinely sad to see what continues to happen.

I hope Wenger goes. It's done. It's so so done.

At any other club, be it Liverpool, Utd, City, Chelsea, or West Brom, Stoke, Swansea, or even fúcking Yeovil or Kettering...if a team displayed the gutlessness of what was on show today, the manager would be gone. Neville was spot on in commentary. They were a disgrace. They gave up. They had nothing about them, and wanted nothing to do with the fight. And that is unforgivable. That is about motivation, and the fact it happens consistently, is down to the manager.

Wenger is a sad, pathetic, arrogant man.

Wenger has built an empire for himself, and he sits on its throne as infallible. He makes the calls. He says what happens and what doesn't.

So nothing is changing any time soon.

At no other club in the world would this be the case. Not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Time to show some balls gazidas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

That was a blooming disgraceful PEFORMANCE!!!

I AM SICK OF WENGER AND THIS CLUB!!!

How the hell is it possible to perfom like that for a CUP FINAL!

UTTER TRASH!!

I WANT WENGER GONE AND ALL THE PLAYERS TOO!!!!

none of them deserve to be part of Arsenal FC. the WHOLE LOT needs to get THROWN out the door tomorrow morning.

DISGRACEFUL AND ASHAMED to be an arsenal supporter.

IVE HAD IT!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

SlickRic wrote: »
    I actually really like Arsenal. Since the Henry, Vieira, Pires, Ljungberg, Bergkamp team, I've always enjoyed them doing well as long as it wasn't at Liverpool's expense.

At any other club, be it Liverpool, Utd, City, Chelsea, or West Brom, Stoke, Swansea, or even fúcking Yeovil or Kettering...if a team displayed the gutlessness of what was on show today, the manager would be gone. Neville was spot on in commentary. They were a disgrace. They gave up. They had nothing about them, and wanted nothing to do with the fight. And that is unforgivable. That is.of motivation, and the fact it happens consistently, is down to the manager.

Wenger has built an empire for himself, and he sits on its throne as infallible. He makes the calls. He says what happens and what doesn't.

What a load of bollocks!

A sad, pathetic, arrogant man? Because he lost a football match against a team that the table shows is miles ahead of most teams, and who are miles ahead of most teams in Europe too with the exception of a small few?

He has built an empire alright - for Arsenal. They were renowned as bores before he arrived and he turned them into one of the greatest teams English football has ever seen. He managed a team of Invincibles. He is in the English football Hall of Fame. He has three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups to his name - and he's the most successful manager in the FA Cup's history.

He will go down as a legend whatever happens and to talk about him in those terms is really more befitting of such descriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

wawaman wrote: »
    Time to show some balls gazidas

I’d be very surprised if he has that power.

Knowing Arsenal Wenger would probably have to sign off on the sacking decision lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

DISGRACEFUL AND ASHAMED to be an arsenal supporter.

IVE HAD IT!!!

We are THE Arsenal dude, never be ashamed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What a load of bollocks!

A sad, pathetic, arrogant man? Because he lost a football match against a team that the table shows is miles ahead of most teams, and who are miles ahead of most teams in Europe too with the exception of a small few?

He has built an empire alright - for Arsenal. They were renowned as bores before he arrived and he turned them into one of the greatest teams English football has ever seen. He managed a team of Invincibles. He is in the English football Hall of Fame. He has three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups to his name - and he's the most successful manager in the FA Cup's history.

He will go down as a legend whatever happens and to talk about him in ##those terms is really more befitting of such descriptions.
    '

Wenger was all those things BUT not for the last 10 years has he cut the mustard. If he had any decency left he'd go.

No.

Not because he lost a match. If you'd read what I said in full, it's the manner of this type of performance, which happens consistently, that is the issue.

He will go down as a legend. And rightly so. I never said any different. Just because I think he's now arrogant and pathetic doesn't mean he's not a legend.

He's arrogant because he believes he built Arsenal. I've heard him say it. He believes he is entitled to stay in that job as long as he wants. He gave himself a £2m payrise last year after coming outside the top 4 (yes, he negotiated his contract). This coming a couple of years after the club paid off the stadium, and he convinced the world that they only needed to wait until they cleared their debts to compete with the biggest clubs in the world. Hasn't happened.

The club has been in decline for at least 8 years.
    The club makes more money in a match day than any other club in world football.
    The fans are being taken for idiots by Wenger and the board.

Wenger is employed by the board. He is not the emperor. Or at least he shouldn't be. He DID a wonderful job in the past. He isn't anymore, and hasn't really for a while. He did not create the club. Its future should not rest on his whim and whether he thinks he's good enough.

He's the greatest manager they've ever had. But the club needs to move on now.

'

Wenger was all those things BUT not for the last 10 years has he cut the mustard. If he had any decency left he'd go.

In the last 5 years he's won three FA Cups. How quickly some forget.

I agree that a parting of the ways would be best for all concerned - I don't know how Wenger puts up with the abuse he gets - but there's no need for the OTT vitriol that is routinely thrown his way like he's some sort of evil Machiavellian bastard on the basis that his football teams have had disappointing results.
    SlickRic wrote:
    No.

Not because he lost a match. If you'd read what I said in full, it's the manner of this type of performance, which happens consistently, that is the issue.

He will go down as a legend. And rightly so. I never said any different. Just because I think he's now arrogant and pathetic doesn't mean he's not a legend.

He's arrogant because he believes he built Arsenal. I've heard him say it. He believes he is entitled to stay in that job as long as he wants. He gave himself a £2m payrise last year after coming outside the top 4. This coming a couple of years after the club paid off the stadium, and he convinced the world that they only needed to wait until they cleared their debts to compete with the biggest clubs in the world. Hasn't happened.

The club has been in decline for at least 8 years.
    The club makes more more in a match day than any other club in world football.
    The fans are being taken for idiots by Wenger and the board.

Wenger is employed by the board. He is not the emperor. He DID a wonderful job in the past. He isn't anymore, and hasn't really for a while. He did not create the club. Its future should not rest on his whim and whether he thinks he's good enough.

He's the greatest manager they be ever had. But the club needs to move on now.

You heard him say what exactly? What is the quote that so vexed you out of curiosity? And also what salary would be appropriate for him to have in the current climate in your view? Seemingly being the most successful manager in their history doesn't cut it!

All of this reads like a farmyard of straw men. "He's not the emperor" you say? Well I don't think he ever claimed to be. You portray him as a cartoonish supervillain who is almost trying to hurt his own fanbase!

He's doing his best in a game where the playing field is now hugely skewed against him and it seems obvious a split is imminent, but that's no reason to portray him as if he's the President of the NRA or something.

• Advertisement

At any other club, be it Liverpool, Utd, City, Chelsea, or West Brom, Stoke, Swansea, or even fúcking Yeovil or Kettering...if a team displayed the gutlessness of what was on show today, the manager would be gone. Neville was spot on in commentary. They were a disgrace. They gave up. They had nothing about them, and wanted nothing to do with the fight. And that is unforgivable. That is.of motivation, and the fact it happens consistently, is down to the manager.

Even Ferguson, Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley had the sense to know when time was changing and it was time to get out and if they didnt they would be told to leave the stage.

What a load of bollocks!

He will go down as a legend whatever happens and to talk about him in those terms is really more befitting of such descriptions.

Time to rejoin us 14 years later in 2018. Wenger is finished. He has been terrible longer then he was good now. He has led us to several humiliating defeats and his tactics are baffling. A centre half to be caught that high up the pitch today was nothing short of scandalous but this isnt the first time this embarrassing scenario has occurred sad to say and wont be the last. But that is Arsene's philosophy on the 'beautiful game' and how it should be played. Fúck the paying public who have to endure this shít. Man City have battered teams but that didnt stop Liverpool from showing up on the day or Wigan the other night. They are well beatable with the right tactics

As for Arsenal only playing good football under Wenger. Total hogwash. Graham won two titles with a side littered with Rocky Rocastle, Michael Thomas, Merse, Alan Smith, Anders Limpar. If you want Wenger to get the credit he deserves then at least have the decency to acknowledge the clubs history prior to 1996 instead of believing media shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Brian on your podcast the other night you suggested that someone from the club should take charge of the Arsenal Fan TV channel or control the input somewhat?

This is exactly why they shouldnt. Búll****, propaganda and spoof.

"We werent good enough on this occasion" .......Well duh. You would swear by the tone of this post it was a one off blip.

442866.png

True but a quick scroll of Facebook barring the pic of the little kid crying (which is also pretty sad who ever put it up) everything else is rival fans sharing AFTV from the likes of AFTV and stuff , and of course we weren't good enough , but there is 19 other clubs in the league and none of them have a AFTV and if they have we sure haven't heard of them , anyway I've a pain in my face from Arsenal today :(

Time to rejoin us 14 years later in 2018. Wenger is finished. He has been terrible longer then he was good now. He has led us to several humiliating defeats and his tactics are baffling. A centre half to be caught that high up the pitch today was nothing short of scandalous but this isnt the first time this embarrassing scenario has occurred sad to say and wont be the last. But that is Arsene's philosophy on the 'beautiful game' and how it should be played. Fúck the paying public who have to endure this sh Man City have battered teams but that didnt stop Liverpool from showing up on the day or Wigan the other night. They are well beatable with the right tactics

As for Arsenal only playing good football under Wenger. Total hogwash. Graham won two titles with a side littered with Rocky Rocastle, Michael Thomas, Merse, Alan Smith, Anders Limpar. If you want Wenger to get the credit he deserves then at least have the decency to acknowledge the clubs history prior to 1996 instead of believing media sh.

FA Cup wins in 2014, 2015, and 2017 is apparently being finished now in today's entitled fickle fanbase era. Like I said, how quickly some forget.

And are you actually claiming there wasn't a stigma around the club of "Boring, boring Arsenal" who would grind out wins? Sure your own fanbase turned it into an ironic chant when under Wenger they turned that style on its head. At least have the decency to learn basic history before you spout off on those that know it.

In the last 5 years he's won three FA Cups. How quickly some forget.

I agree that a parting of the ways would be best for all concerned - I don't know how Wenger puts up with the abuse he gets - but there's no need for the OTT vitriol that is routinely thrown his way like he's some sort of evil Machiavellian bastard on the basis that his football teams have had disappointing results.

You heard him say what exactly? What is the quote that so vexed you out of curiosity? And also what salary would be appropriate for him to have in the current climate in your view? Seemingly being the most successful manager in their history doesn't cut it!

All of this reads like a farmyard of straw men. "He's not the emperor" you say? Well I don't think he ever claimed to be. You portray him as a cartoonish supervillain who is almost trying to hurt his own fanbase!

He's doing his best in a game where the playing field is now hugely skewed against him and it seems obvious a split is imminent, but that's no reason to portray him as if he's the President of the NRA or something.

:eek:
    Where to even start with this mess

No way on earth should he have been offered a new contract let alone a pay rise.

This is the way most properly ran football clubs work. You have a set of targets each season and your performance is reviewed at the end of each season unless things go really toxic mid season. If you fail to meet those targets then you either get sacked or dont get a new contract offer.
    The FA cup was a scant consolation in a season where Arsenal missed out on Champions league football. And what about the abject performances last season? Palace being the most memorable. A cup didnt save Louis Van Gaal and it shouldnt save Wenger.

He has had good innings. He should do the decent thing and walk. Failure to perform is one thing but failure to acknowledge it is criminal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/03/15/arsene-wenger-i-built-arsenal-with-hard-work-and-am-more-motivat/

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/arsenal-boss-arsene-wenger-gives-9974480

Arrogant.

Also, don't tell me I'm comparing him to the President of the NRA. FFS. He's just a man who believes his own hype and doesn't know when to leave.

And nothing is skewed against him. Arsenal have more money available to them than almost any club in the world. Kroenke and his wife are both billionaires in the own rights. The club makes more money than any other club on matchday.

They're rich. Super rich. Mega rich. Top of the food chain.

They just choose not to.

The root cause of the malaise isn't Wenger alone. The whole club is complacent and doesn't seem to care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

FA Cup wins in 2014, 2015, and 2017 is apparently being finished now in today's entitled fickle fanbase era. Like I said, how quickly some forget.

And are you actually claiming there wasn't a stigma around the club of "Boring, boring Arsenal" who would grind out wins? Sure your own fanbase turned it into an ironic chant when under Wenger they turned that style on its head. At least have the decency to learn basic history before you spout off on those that know it.

3 fa cups, whilst great wins do not paper over the obvious cracks at the club. The weak mentality, the consistent hidings by our rivals, the same tiresome defending, the same silly mistakes by the players, the inability to defend or take a proper corner, the lack of culpability (Iwobi before the Forest game being the latest example) highest priced tickets in the league to watch that dross. Give it a rest, its high time for a change and everyone knows it.
    We are a country mile off the pace in the league and facing another season out of the top 4 and out of the champions league, when is it enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

AC milan to hammer us now to put the icing on the cake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I am flabbergasted that anyone still is defending Wenger. He was a legend but he is now a busted flush and the board of any other club would have handed him his marching orders seasons ago.

If he had a shred of decency or love for the club he should be handing in a resignation letter and issuing an apology to the fans first thing tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/03/15/arsene-wenger-i-built-arsenal-with-hard-work-and-am-more-motivat/amp/

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/arsenal-boss-arsene-wenger-gives-9974480

Arrogant.

Also, don't tell me I'm comparing him to the President of the NRA. FFS. He's just a man who believes his own hype and doesn't know when to leave.

And nothing is skewed against him. Arsenal have more money available to them than almost any club in the world. Kroenke and his wife are both billionaires in the own rights. The club makes more money than any other club on matchday.

They're rich. Super rich. Mega rich. Top of the food chain.

They just choose not to.

The root cause of the malaise isn't Wenger alone. The whole club is complacent and doesn't seem to care.

Offering me links to articles doesn't leave me any the wiser as to what exactly has irked you so much that you fume about the man. Which quote is it that bothers you? And what salary would be sufficient for him in your eyes?

You spewed out a bunch of angry adjectives that would have been more befitting of the NRA President was my point: "sad, pathetic and arrogant"!

And we all know the wage structure and financial prudence at Arsenal has been geared towards effective management of the club. They are nowhere near in the same league as a Man City.
    Where to even start with this mess

No way on earth should he have been offered a new contract let alone a pay rise.

This is the way most properly ran football clubs work. You have a set of targets each season and your performance is reviewed at the end of each season unless things go really toxic mid season. If you fail to meet those targets then you either get sacked or dont get a new contract offer.
    The FA cup was a scant consolation in a season where Arsenal missed out on Champions league football. And what about the abject performances last season? Palace being the most memorable. A cup didnt save Louis Van Gaal and it shouldnt save Wenger.

He has had good innings. He should do the decent thing and walk. Failure to perform is one thing but failure to acknowledge it is criminal.

LOL. Three FA Cups in the last five years is now a mess! You couldn't credit it. I wonder how a Leeds fan would react to being told what Arsenal have gone through is a mess!

Offering me links to articles doesn't leave me any the wiser as to what exactly has irked you so much that you fume about the man. Which quote is it that bothers you? And what salary would be sufficient for him in your eyes?

You spewed out a bunch of angry adjectives that would have been more befitting of the NRA President was my point: "sad, pathetic and arrogant"!

And we all know the wage structure and financial prudence at Arsenal has been geared towards effective management of the club. They are nowhere near in the same league as a Man City.

LOL. Three FA Cups in the last five years is now a mess! You couldn't credit it. I wonder how a Leeds fan would react to being told what Arsenal have gone through is a mess!

1. He thinks he built the club.
    2. Not a pay rise. He's done barely a thing to warrant it.
    3. It's a myth that Arsenal can't compete financially. Especially now. Ozil's new contract is proof.
    4. Arsenal are not Leeds. It's ridiculous to compare for any reason.

And are you actually claiming there wasn't a stigma around the club of "Boring, boring Arsenal" who would grind out wins?

Sure your own fanbase turned it into an ironic chant when under Wenger they turned that style on its head. At least have the decency to learn basic history before you spout off on those that know it.

Yes imagine the cheek of us fans demanding that millionaire footballers approach each game with a bit of fight and professionalism. My god how dare we :rolleyes: Its absurd to expect a manager on 10m a year to set his team up to win a match because his last major trophy came in 2004.... Yep great logic

Wenger had the benefit of inheriting a top class defence that Graham set up but now he even wants Mertesacker to play a high line.

And where does the FA cup actually stand in modern football in all honesty? Its a nothing trophy. The big trophies are the league and the champions league and even Leicester managed to win a league.

as for your comment on basic history i actually remember the Graham years well. I lived through them. The latter days the club dwindled but they had some outstanding attacking players between 87 and 92 in spite of the bias lazy bullshít wrote about them. To suggest otherwise is laughable and incredulous. There would at least be accountability if Graham, or Don Howe, or Bertie Mees team took a beating but Wenger answers to no one. Its everyones fault bar his or his team of pampered pussies.

Yes imagine the cheek of us fans demanding that millionaire footballers approach each game with a bit of fight and professionalism. My god how dare we :rolleyes: Its absurd to expect a manager on 10m a year to set his team up to win a match because his last major trophy came in 2004.... Yep great logic

Wenger had the benefit of inheriting a top class defence that Graham set up but now he even wants Mertesacker to play a high line.

And where does the FA cup actually stand in modern football in all honesty? Its a nothing trophy. The big trophies are the league and the champions league and even Leicester managed to win a league.

as for your comment on basic history i actually remember the Graham years well. I lived through them. The latter days the club dwindled but they had some outstanding attacking players between 87 and 92 in spite of the bias lazy bullshwrote about them. To suggest otherwise is laughable and incredulous. There would at least be accountability if Graham, or Don Howe, or Bertie Mees team took a beating but Wenger answers to no one. Its everyones fault bar his or his team of pampered pussies.

No point in engaging with you further if you think FA Cups are nothing trophies. You lost all credibility with me for that one. No one will give a sh*t who finished fourth a decade ago but FA Cup glory lasts forever. I'd like to say your comment was astonishing but sadly it's all too prevalent amongst the spoiled modern fanbase.

As regards your final ridiculous claim challenging the perception of Arsenal, have a read of this:
    "Gone are the days under George Graham when Arsenal took fiendish delight in snubbing their nose at the beautiful game by grinding out results.

"Nick a goal and shut up shop was their philosophy back then. But like a famous Frenchman of the past, Arsene Wenger is scornful of the nation of shopkeepers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/fa_cup/3037789.stm
    SlickRic wrote:
    1. He thinks he built the club.
    2. Not a pay rise. He's done barely a thing to warrant it.
    3. It's a myth that Arsenal can't compete financially. Especially now. Ozil's new contract is proof.
    4. Arsenal are not Leeds. It's ridiculous to compare for any reason.

1. I have your perception of what he meant by that, yes. I am asking - patiently - for the particular quote in question which leads you to believe he meant it in the way you perceive.
    2. What salary would be appropriate for him in your view?
    3. I remember you saying a while back that any manager of the top clubs could compete for the title with City's money. Is it your view that Wenger has money and won't use it, or that he doesn't and he is at fault for not wanting more? I genuinely don't see why Wenger is getting blamed here.
    4. Yes, I know that my friend. I was essentially making that point that to suggest what Arsenal have gone through is in any way a mess - unlike say what Leeds have gone through.

Three FA cups in five years does not justify the highest ticket prices in the land. The Leeds comparison is apples and oranges and quite laughable really. Lame excuses to hide Wengers constant failings as a coach.

The problem has been as much lack of coaching as lack of spending. Arsenal are actually worse now with Mki, Aubameyang and Ozil then they were with the likes of Bendtner and Gervinho.

No point in engaging with you further if you think FA Cups are nothing trophies. You lost all credibility with me for that one. No one will give a sh*t who finished fourth a decade ago but FA Cup glory lasts forever. I'd like to say your comment was astonishing but sadly it's all too prevalent amongst the spoiled modern fanbase.

You would have to have some credibility yourself before you can adjudge who has it or who doesnt. Your own arguments are riddled with holes in them. Comparing Leeds to Arsenal??? :confused:

As for your shopkeepers comment, perhaps if the deluded clown Wenger put some defensive structure in place we wouldnt be leaking laughable goals. Im sure an expert like you would know this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Awful smell of sh1te in here tonight ffs.

True but a quick scroll of Facebook barring the pic of the little kid crying (which is also pretty sad who ever put it up) everything else is rival fans sharing AFTV from the likes of AFTV and stuff , and of course we weren't good enough , but there is 19 other clubs in the league and none of them have a AFTV and if they have we sure haven't heard of them , anyway I've a pain in my face from Arsenal today :(

I hear what you are saying Brian.
    Arsenal fans though have been tortured by the club so hence the frustration. Their comments are normally aired right after leaving the ground when they havent had time to properly gather their thoughts and unfortunately we've endured more abject performances over the last five years then many other clubs. Yes a few have made a few bob like Troopz and DT but I honestly believe that they genuinely want the club to succeed at heart. They would take this over any money.

The Fan TV channel has grown out frustration at the way the club has conducted itself and treated its supporters. The AST are a group of yes men and the club including Wenger are all self serving propagandists.

As regards your final ridiculous claim challenging the perception of Arsenal, have a read of this:

1. I have your perception of what he meant by that, yes. I am asking - patiently - for the particular quote in question which leads you to believe he meant it in the way you perceive.
    2. What salary would be appropriate for him in your view?
    3. I remember you saying a while back that any manager of the top clubs could compete for the title with City's money. Is it your view that Wenger has money and won't use it, or that he doesn't and he is at fault for not wanting more? I genuinely don't see why Wenger is getting blamed here.
    4. Yes, I know that my friend. I was essentially making that point that to suggest what Arsenal have gone through is in any way a mess - unlike say what Leeds have gone through.

I'm not going to convince you, and I genuinely don't have the time to keep this going. It's a waste of both our times. It's going in circles.

I'm very happy to agree to disagree on this one.

If I'm wrong, so be it. What I've said is just what I see and perceive.

gandalf wrote: »
    I am flabbergasted that anyone still is defending Wenger. He was a legend but he is now a busted flush and the board of any other club would have handed him his marching orders seasons ago.

If he had a shred of decency or love for the club he should be handing in a resignation letter and issuing an apology to the fans first thing tomorrow morning.

All this rubbish about him loving the club is exactly that. Utter rubbish. He is self serving and accountable to no one. He is tactically inept and proud to be tactically inept by the looks of things. His players do not want to play for him. Its as obvious the nose on his face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I hear what you are saying Brian.
    Arsenal fans though have been tortured by the club so hence the frustration. Their comments are normally aired right after leaving the ground when they havent had time to properly gather their thoughts and unfortunately we've endured more abject performances over the last five years then many other clubs. Yes a few have made a few bob like Troopz and DT but I honestly believe that they genuinely want the club to succeed at heart. They would take this over any money.

The Fan TV channel has grown out frustration at the way the club has conducted itself and treated its supporters. The AST are a group of yes men and the club including Wenger are all self serving propagandists.

Yeah I agree with that ,they go to every game aswell which gives them a right to do what they do , I'm just sick of people constantly trotting it out every time we have a bad day of which there are many lately , and the same people will laud the likes of spurs who as of yesterday are 10 years without any trophy, and Liverpool who've done nothing bar one night in Istanbul in the last 20 odd years

And for other posters coming in here , Yes Wenger did great intially , Yes he had grahams back four but even after they rode off in to the sunset he made the Invincibles which may never be matched, I don't understand how he's let himself fall so low and not see it himself . Every other club in the premiership would have changed manager by now, Yes we won the FA cups and they were great days , and I myself have used those Cups to take shots at other teams around us for winning nothing , but in the league and the champions league we've been consistently poor and from this and last season its only getting worse so you can forgive us for not been a little pissed off with it , and the comparison with Leeds is bonkers a club that overspent there load and there bottom fell out , How in the name of god is that anything to do with Arsenal , most ridiculous comparison I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I keep hearing that about Guardiola.

But remember that Wenger inherited an Arsenal team with the best back 5 unit in the league as well as Ian Wright, Denis Bergkamp and Paul Merson.

What would that team played like today, Heart Desire and drive and the the city forwards would be sore tonight from the kicks and knocks they would have recieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Haven't much of today's wailing, but thanks be to Jesus Mr Nice Guy is here to talk some sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Haven't much of today's wailing, but thanks be to Jesus Mr Nice Guy is here to talk some sense.

Ah yeah,sure its great,club is in rude health and we are challenging the elite of Europe like we were promised.
    3 ****ty FA cups and now we are the 6th best team in England,dining with the elite my bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Looking back over time to me it seems pat rice was a big loss to the club and must have had a huge influence over teams and players compared to poor Steve bould. arsenal as a club needs a new manager as the present situation has gone too far wrong and would like to see change of style and week in week out performance and a bit of pride shown by the players even if getting beaten.

Looking back over time to me it seems pat rice was a big loss to the club and must have had a huge influence over teams and players compared to poor Steve bould. arsenal as a club needs a new manager as the present situation has gone too far wrong and would like to see change of style and week in week out performance and a bit of pride shown by the players even if getting beaten.

Tbh Pat Rice became another nodding dog just like Bould. Sad really because Pat gave a lifetime of service to the club but was reduced to a yes man by the end of his tenure. Its Wengers way or the high way but the useless players never fall on the sword for some mysterious reason. I.e Iwobi and Bellerin

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Where exactly has he talked sense? :confused:

Could you pinpoint it? Do you honestly think any fan base would tolerate the amount of abject defeats that Wenger has set us up for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Well that was just plain miserable. I like Wenger and empathize with the position he's in but at this stage you just have to walk away from the table. I know he isn't a quitter so that is nearly impossible but something has to give.

I think Mustafi has the potential to be world class if he had the idiot element of his game coached out of him. 5% of his game often costs us one or two goals. Xhaka is at an all time low confidence wise but since he's only 24 I'm inclined to stand by him and see what the new manager can do. Ozil was just woeful, Ramsey ineffective, Auba was making runs galore and being ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

ah well least we lost to the best team in manchester:D thank fcuk it wasnt united hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The problem for Arsenal isn't the defence. It really isn't. Man for man, Arsenal defense is comparable to most top clubs out there. Its the midfield and wide players not helping the defence....not defending themselves. You can't just rely on 3 or 4 players.....you have to defend as a unit and this team doesn't do it.

I've watched thousands and thousands of hours of footnall. Live and on tv. From grassroots all the way to the highest level. I'm no footballing savant but it's PAINFULLY obvious this team gets little to no defensive coaching.

Mourinho's United are pretty dire going forward at the moment. They are very disjointed. It's not pretty. But every single player knows his job when they don't have the ball. Whats expected of them.

Look at the way Liverpool win the ball back so high up the pitch. You see it from the City players too. Hunting in packs to get it back. Yes, its demanding and tiring but they do it because they know their mates behind them are doing it too.

You just don't see that with Arsenal. The manager needs to go. New coaches and ideas need to be brought into the club to fix this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Kirby wrote: »
    The problem for Arsenal isn't the defence. It really isn't. Man for man, Arsenal defense is comparable to most top clubs out there. Its the midfield and wide players not helping the defence....not defending themselves. You can't just rely on 3 or 4 players.....you have to defend as a unit and this team doesn't do it.

I've watched thousands and thousands of hours of footnall. Live and on tv. From grassroots all the way to the highest level. I'm no footballing savant but it's PAINFULLY obvious this team gets little to no defensive coaching.

Mourinho's United are pretty dire going forward at the moment. They are very disjointed. It's not pretty. But every single player knows his job when they don't have the ball. Whats expected of them.

Look at the way Liverpool win the ball back so high up the pitch. You see it from the City players too. Hunting in packs to get it back. Yes, its demanding and tiring but they do it because they know their mates behind them are doing it too.

You just don't see that with Arsenal. The manager needs to go. New coaches and ideas need to be brought into the club to fix this.

Yeah, I happen to think that our players are actually grand, or at least have the potential to be grand, it's just the coaching is so sub-par that they become next to useless.

When is the last time a player came into the squad and got substantially better? Bellerin? As far as I can see, there hasn't been a player at Arsenal that has consistently improved year on year in an age, with most of them actually getting worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, I happen to think that our players are actually grand, or at least have the potential to be grand, it's just the coaching is so sub-par that they become next to useless.

When is the last time a player came into the squad and got substantially better? Bellerin? As far as I can see, there hasn't been a player at Arsenal that has consistently improved year on year in an age, with most of them actually getting worse.

Can only think of 2 one which left Arsenal already, Giroud and the other one is Koscielny. That seems to be the case that players who joins Arsenal doesn't get any uplift in their confidence. Laca & Kolasinac our 2 recent summer signings went downhill with Wenger. I do believe that a new coach (defensive) and Manager is our top priority to boost this Arsenal side.

Kirby wrote: »

It still doesn't explain some of the errors we make defensively. These guys have been playing football for possibly 15-20 years at this stage. Can you imagine a computer programmer having to get his boss to tell him how to turn on his computer after 15 years in the job?

We have had a very good defensive record at times in recent years, and all it took was having someone like Coq sitting in front of the back 4. No idea why we don't go back to that philosophy, because playing with more distributors hasn't helped our attacking play at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just read through the posts from yesterday evening.
    I've come to the conclusion that some lads would defend Fred West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I'm getting a bit concerned that Auba isn't going to be a good fit at Arsenal due to our style of play. I saw quiet a few moments ( not just yesterday) when he was making runs behind the defence only for our midfield to pass it across the midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

I'm getting a bit concerned that Auba isn't going to be a good fit at Arsenal due to our style of play. I saw quiet a few moments ( not just yesterday) when he was making runs behind the defence only for our midfield to pass it across the midfield.

Needs service from the likes of Ozil and Mkhitaryan. Once they click it’ll happen I’m sure of it.

In saying that he didn’t seem as fast as I thought he was but I’ll give him the benefit of doubt for now.

There isn’t a single player at the club right now playing with any degree of confidence and that’s a worry. Whatever is going on it’s affecting everyone of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Hard to disagree with most of the posts here. We're a team that is very short of confidence. We need to hand some team a hiding and hopefully that will give us a lift. Would love to see Auba grab a brace in a game now too. Kind of like a kick start to a good run in to finish the league. Then Wenger to announce his retirement .

Hey, we can all have dreams can't we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

With any luck Wenger will be gone in a few months (I know I know, it's the hope that kills you), and whether or not any player in the current squad will fit arsenal's style of play will be completely up in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Assuming we go out of the EL against Milan & stumble through the rest of the season to finish 6th, 10+ points behind 5th & just ahead of Burnley and Everton, how will supporters react if/when Wenger stays on for at least another year?
    All OTT BS aside I think this is likely, reason being I simply cant see AW being fired or indeed him walking away before his contract expires... which makes me think, other than the usual online moaning etc are we likely to see any kind of reaction from the fanbase? A reaction the board would sit up & take notice of? Or will it be a repeat of what we've all been experiencing only without the hope of even a cup to paper a crack or 12 over.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

https://twitter.com/bbcsport/status/968103569814470656

He seriously just needs to go. Sick of listening to him at this stage. He doesn’t have a winning mentality anymore and it is giving the players an excuse when things go wrong.

Was watching the match at a stag weekend in Manchester of all places. Full of Utd fans there and they were even disgusted at how bad Arsenal are now. That first City goal was up there with some of the worst defending I’ve ever seen at any level. Mustafi should just be sold, the guy is a clown and doesn’t even want to be here. Koscielny and Chambers were also awful too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Hi lads. Has Wenger been handed his p45 yet? I'm only asking because if I had a shocker at work like that I wouldn't have a job today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement