Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

Hi lads. Has Wenger been handed his p45 yet? I'm only asking because if I had a shocker at work like that I wouldn't have a job today.

I guess the question is that if you had a shocker at work, would your manager get the sack? :D

Unless, of course, you're the boss....then yeah, you should definitely get the sack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Basil3 wrote: »
    I guess the question is that if you had a shocker at work, would your manager get the sack? :D

Unless, of course, you're the boss....then yeah, you should definitely get the sack.

Are you happy with how Wenger is performing in his role?

Just read through the posts from yesterday evening.
    I've come to the conclusion that some lads would defend Fred West.

Even Fred West owned up in the end

Offering me links to articles doesn't leave me any the wiser as to what exactly has irked you so much that you fume about the man. Which quote is it that bothers you? And what salary would be sufficient for him in your eyes?

You spewed out a bunch of angry adjectives that would have been more befitting of the NRA President was my point: "sad, pathetic and arrogant"!

And we all know the wage structure and financial prudence at Arsenal has been geared towards effective management of the club. They are nowhere near in the same league as a Man City.

LOL. Three FA Cups in the last five years is now a mess!

League Cups, FA Cups etc are great as starting points if they lead to further success, ie Man U in 1990 and M City in 2011. But merely to keep winning these trophies for clubs with the income streams that Utd, City, Arsenal etc have access to, simply won't cut it with the vast majority of these club's fanbases.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Are you happy with how Wenger is performing in his role?

Nope, but I also find it strange how he could motivate the side for an FA Cup Semi against City, and a final against Chelsea only a year ago.....and now he's forgotten how to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Nope, but I also find it strange how he could motivate the side for an FA Cup Semi against City, and a final against Chelsea only a year ago.....and now he's forgotten how to.

Motivation? Motivation is overrated. All the "Any Given Sunday" speeches in the world wont make up for lack of coaching.

And to be honest Wenger isn't that type of inspirtational speaker anyway. I mean you just cant see him pulling it off can you?

"Glear eyez, fool harts....Don't looz pleez."

Did the players perhaps think that it is possibly Wengers final few weeks in the job? They were also under unbelievable scrutiny having lost to Palace 3-0 and WBA 3-1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Did the players perhaps think that it is possibly Wengers final few weeks in the job? They were also under unbelievable scrutiny having lost to Palace 3-0 and WBA 3-1

I actually believe that. And I believe the replacement is lined up! It's probably me dreaming again though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm not sure how his position is tenable after this season (I know, I know, other seasons before this!) - 2nd year in a row without CL, no trophies, can't see us winning Europa really.

At least they're aware enough not to let us get into another "last year" scenario - he can't go into the year with 1 year left on his contract again, either it's stated that next year is his last, or that he leaves this summer. Or he signs yet another contract...surely not?

If by some miracle we win the EL, then I'd say he signs another contract. I'd absolutely love us to win this, our first Euro trophy since George Graham, but not if it meant Le Prof staying on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

emmetlego wrote: »
    If by some miracle we win the EL, then I'd say he signs another contract. I'd absolutely love us to win this, our first Euro trophy since George Graham, but not if it meant Le Prof staying on.

Careful. i got slated for saying I'd gladly give up the League Cup to see him gone. Apparently all these trophies that were only good enough for our reserve team in the past are now so prestigious and important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The attendance on Thursday could be an interesting pointer. Swathes of empty seats against the best side in the country could force a change of direction in the board. It seems that the only thing that bothers the board of directors is how successful a money making machine the club is.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Careful. i got slated for saying I'd gladly give up the League Cup to see him gone. Apparently all these trophies that were only good enough for our reserve team in the past are now so prestigious and important.

I'll never refuse silverware of any type... But Arsenal is dying under this man, if it's not already dead. It's just a crap situation really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

https://twitter.com/bbcsport/status/968103569814470656

He seriously just needs to go. Sick of listening to him at this stage. He doesn’t have a winning mentality anymore and it is giving the players an excuse when things go wrong.

Was watching the match at a stag weekend in Manchester of all places. Full of Utd fans there and they were even disgusted at how bad Arsenal are now. That first City goal was up there with some of the worst defending I’ve ever seen at any level. Mustafi should just be sold, the guy is a clown and doesn’t even want to be here. Koscielny and Chambers were also awful too.
    That interview with Wenger gave me a laugh.
    He wanted more time at 3 - 0 down FFS ???
    Did he think the team would suddenly start playing and score four goals in the few minutes added on.
    The referee for a change was probably trying to save us even more embarrassment.
    Wenger is in his dotage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

That interview with Wenger gave me a laugh.
    He wanted more time at 3 - 0 down FFS ???
    Did he think the team would suddenly start playing and score four goals in the few minutes added on.
    The referee for a change was probably trying to save us even more embarrassment.
    Wenger is in his dotage now.

Why would he even say that? Like what is the benefit. Apart from making himself and the club more of a laughing stock than it already is. I would be genuinely excited to see what a fresh voice could do with this group of players, with a few well placed additions. I think we actually have the bones of a very good squad that is not having its potential realised because the manager is past it.

greendom wrote: »
    The attendance on Thursday could be an interesting pointer. Swathes of empty seats against the best side in the country could force a change of direction in the board. It seems that the only thing that bothers the board of directors is how successful a money making machine the club is.

I'd say the weather will have a pretty big impact on attendance either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So without descending into the results etc and how far we have fallen does any of you honestly see Wenger in the dugout in August 1st game of the new season ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I'd say the weather will have a pretty big impact on attendance either way.

Feel sorry for you guys the only way to get Wenger out is supporter power,

Boycott the games and make it clear fans won't be back until he goes. 3 months with under half the gate incomes should be enough to get the board to act correctly.

Season ticket holders who have already paid should go to every game they can and stage a mass walkout at for example 25 mins with signs and banners saying #Wenger out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

So without descending into the results etc and how far we have fallen does any of you honestly see Wenger in the dugout in August 1st game of the new season ?

A financial loss in the first 6 months of the year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

It was meant a yes or no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

It was meant a yes or no

Yes he will :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Wenger will go only when he decides to & I genuinely believe the fans have no influence whatsoever on how he feels about his position. So yes I expect him to be still there come August.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

DvB wrote: »
    Wenger will go only when he decides to & I genuinely believe the fans have no influence whatsoever on how he feels about his position. So yes I expect him to be still there come August.

Money talks. An empty stadium does also.

It will never happen but what a few of the above posters have said is true. Empty seats would see him gone.

https://twitter.com/ElNennyM/status/968149640850919429

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. It's all so very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Kirby wrote: »
    Money talks. An empty stadium does also.

It will never happen but what a few of the above posters have said is true. Empty seats would see him gone.

I suspect theres far too many people more than willing to attend league games to make up any drop off in interest from regulars though. Theres no way that the stadium would be half full for more than the very odd game IMO.

But I agree, was it to happen that 20k tickets were unsold for a few games it might make Stan sit up & take notice.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

https://twitter.com/ElNennyM/status/968149640850919429

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. It's all so very sad.

The players really should keep quiet. That tweet is frankly embarrassing and smacks of positive PR spin from within the club. These Arsenal players really do talk too much and claim after every defeat that they will fight harder next time.

Was listening to the Arsecast earlier and they mention how Arsenal have already lost 6 matches in 2018. This team are on an unbelievable slump and something needs to be done about it.

Edit. https://twitter.com/jackwilshere/status/968180580851552256
    Wilshere tweeting there. Talks about there being a foul in the first goal and the second goal being offside. Really clutching at straws there.

The players really should keep quiet. That tweet is frankly embarrassing and smacks of positive PR spin from within the club. These Arsenal players really do talk too much and claim after every defeat that they will fight harder next time.

Was listening to the Arsecast earlier and they mention how Arsenal have already lost 6 matches in 2018. This team are on an unbelievable slump and something needs to be done about it.

Wilshere tweeting there. I don’t know what decisions he is talking about there.

I don't think it could come across as being PR from within the club. Elneny's tweet is just cringeworthy, and Jack's is full of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.

As you say, they're best to keep quiet and do their talking on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Elneny making promises he can’t keep. Like others have said, just keep quiet ffs.

Id have a bit of respect for Jack because he seems to be the only one showing any real interest in playing for this football club these times and yet we are in a situation where he could walk on a free. Ozil hasnt kicked a ball since his contract extension. Useless yesterday, useless v Spurs. He has got his bumper deal though so the Arsenal fans can fúck off.

Elneny has been hit and miss. He can piss off too with his cringey comments. Why the fúck is he regurgitating that picture? Leave the child alone. Things are bad enough without humiliating him for the rest of his life. Bad enough despicable Sky are using his image for their own gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The White Walkers are out again on Thursday. I'm expecting a few to cry off with fake injuries. We have a team of cowards who just can't get stuck into any decent opposition.
    The atmosphere will be toxic if City score early.

The White Walkers are out again on Thursday. I'm expecting a few to cry off with fake injuries. We have a team of cowards who just can't get stuck into any decent opposition.
    The atmosphere will be toxic if City score early.

Decent form at home so wouldn’t be surprised if we got a result. Can hear the “one Arsène Wenger” chants now!

I’m not bothered either way but I’ll probably watch it as any other sadomasochistic arsenal fan would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So let's predict the team for the next game against city. No doubt we will be unchanged bar ospina for our other donkey.

It's so so bad. Nothing to look forward to at all until HE goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭Underground

So the club have briefed the press regarding potential replacements for Wenger.

Leonardo Jardim, Joachim Low and Brendan Rodgers make up the three man shortlist. Mikel Arteta is also being considered. Underwhelming isn't the word.

Also, I know pretty much this whole thread is Wenger out now, I myself am in that boat too. But I have to say, its a pretty sh*tty thing of Gazidis (or whoever is briefing the press on this) to do to Arsene. The men above him have been just as spineless but taken just a fraction of the grief that they should be taking. Anyway, we shall see.

Good!

Let Wenger know he is in his last days. He's had his chances, the time for being sentimental is long gone. He should know he's being booted for underperforming.

Leonardo Jardim, Joachim Low and Brendan Rodgers make up the three man shortlist. Mikel Arteta is also being considered. Underwhelming isn't the word.

Also, I know pretty much this whole thread is Wenger out now, I myself am in that boat too. But I have to say, its a pretty sh*tty thing of Gazidis (or whoever is briefing the press on this) to do to Arsene. The men above him have been just as spineless but taken just a fraction of the grief that they should be taking. Anyway, we shall see.

Source for this?

Jardim would be actually decent. Had an exciting Monaco team. Bakayoko who looks stink now excelled under him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I said it at the time and it's still true now, he didn't deserve any of the vitriol thrown his way until he decided to sign up for 2 more years. Anything is fair game now, that's on him.

I don't know much (in fact anything) about Jardim but he's already my pick out of those three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭Underground

Source for this?

Jardim would be actually decent. Had an exciting Monaco team. Bakayoko who looks stink now excelled under him

Arseblog's FB page. He usually uploads articles first there, so it should be on the app etc soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Is this a wind up? Brendan Rodgers???

L'prof wrote: »

Not my 1st choice or even my 20th but he would still be an improvement on Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Not sure about Joachim Low at all. Pardon my ignorance but has he achieved anything at club level?
    I Know he is a world cup winning manager but there's a huge difference between being an international manager seeing your players once every few weeks/months and the day to day working with players at club level. Also he has the cream of the crop with the current German bunch, not sure how he'd manage with our bunch of misfits...

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »

Id say the names were selected by throwing darts at a board with pictures of random managers on them. Having said that even Rodgers came closer to winning a league then Wenger in recent years

Id say the names were selected by throwing darts at a board with pictures of random managers on them. Having said that even Rodgers came closer to winning a league then Wenger in recent years

With a squad of players vastly inferior to anything we've had in the last 12 years.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Not sure about Joachim Low at all. Pardon my ignorance but has he achieved anything at club level?
    I Know he is a world cup winning manager but there's a huge difference between being an international manager seeing your players once every few weeks/months and the day to day working with players at club level. Also he has the cream of the crop with the current German bunch, not sure how he'd manage with our bunch of misfits...

The man picks his arse and smells his finger. For me that's enough reason to not want him.

The man picks his arse and smells his finger. For me that's enough reason to not want him.

Thanks I’d forgotten that, intentionally. Disgusting.

Arteta seems to be rated but surely a big gamble. I’d take a chance all the same.

If he made us someway competitive he could crack one off on the sideline for all I care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

omega man wrote: »
    Arteta seems to be rated but surely a big gamble. I’d take a chance all the same.

Took a big gamble on Wenger in 96 and it didn't turn out too bad in all fairness.
    I'd defo take the chance on Arteta.
    Rogers and Low I'd be pretty underwhelmed by.

If he made us someway competitive he could crack one off on the sideline for all I care

Hahahahaha

Took a big gamble on Wenger in 96 and it didn't turn out too bad in all fairness.
    I'd defo take the chance on Arteta.
    Rogers and Low I'd be pretty underwhelmed by.

Wenger was an experienced manager. Arteta isnt. Thats the difference. Having said this you would hope that Arteta would be learning loads off Pep at the moment and would eventually be able to paddle his own canoe when the time comes

Wenger was an experienced manager. Arteta isnt. Thats the difference. Having said this you would hope that Arteta would be learning loads off Pep at the moment and would eventually be able to paddle his own canoe when the time comes

Ah yeh I get that AW was experienced,managed Monaco to a CL final?...but he was at Grampus 8 in Japan when we got him and was hardly regarded as top drawer.Do you remember the headline when he signed...Arsene Who??..
    Anyway Im thinking right now anyone is better than him,we really just need a change of scenery for the club...its just stale right now.

F*cking Brendan Rogers.

F*ck off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement