Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

F*cking Brendan Rogers.

F*ck off.

Brent-on Rodgers :D

89de449784858a754c64aa510a5fc388_400x400.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

+1 for big Brendan.

To be fair I'd take Pardew just for something different :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

+1 for big Brendan.

To be fair I'd take Pardew just for something different :pac:

Make a change from the zip malfunction:D

200w.webp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Any of the other 3 outside of rogers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Some of you are missing the point with this one. Yes, getting the best and most experienced manager possible is great. But at this point literally ANY manager with their badges would be an improvement.

It's the stale, same old ideas and training that is the problem. Even an unproven Arteta would be better because he would bring in his own ideas and coaching startegies along with presumably new backroom staff.....along with new targets and transfer demands in the summer.

Wasting time humming and hawwing about replacements is a bad idea. It just prolongs the inevitable. If somebody comes in and performs poorly, you can sack him and move on.......something that hasnt been possible in recent times with Wenger having the football equivalent of tenure. It took United a few goes and a few years to find somebody capable after Fergie left. The same might be true of Arsenal but surely even that is prefferable to the status quo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Took a big gamble on Wenger in 96 and it didn't turn out too bad in all fairness.
    I'd defo take the chance on Arteta.
    Rogers and Low I'd be pretty underwhelmed by.

You'd be underwhelmed with a Manager who has won the World Cup?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Honestly, anyone would be better than Wenger at this stage. Someone with a more modern approach to coaching, is open to new ideas, and possibly more importantly, is not confident of continued backing regardless of failure.

But not Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Whomever replaces Wenger is nailed on to be the next David Moyes (Or Bruce Rioch if looking for an Arsenal comparison) as the rebuilding job will be huge & I suspect once the board finally presses the button to replace a manager they may get fond of it & do it again quickly!! I have a sneaky feeling we may need to suffer a poor replacement for a year (maybe 2) before getting a decent one in to steady the ship.

Hugely underwhelmed by that shortlist though... I so wanted us to go after Allegri, even if we had just 1% chance of getting him. Show some ambition FFS.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

DvB wrote: »
    Whomever replaces Wenger is nailed on to be the next David Moyes (Or Bruce Rioch if looking for an Arsenal comparison) as the rebuilding job will be huge & I suspect once the board finally presses the button to replace a manager they may get fond of it & do it again quickly!! I have a sneaky feeling we may need to suffer a poor replacement for a year (maybe 2) before getting a decent one in to steady the ship.

Hugely underwhelmed by that shortlist though... I so wanted us to go after Allegri, even if we had just 1% chance of getting him. Show some ambition FFS.

Wenger is David Moyes.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Wenger is David Moyes.

LOL... good call!

He's been Fergie (up until 1998 - 2004) & Moyes (2005 - ) all rolled in to one!!

On the subject of managerial moves, been hearing a lot of rumours that the Potch at Spu*s is off to Real Madrid if they (Real) fail to win the CL, in that case would Zidane be worth talking to? Dont know what to make of him myself, I know he's won a lot at Real but lets be honest he has a huge budget to work off there & may not do so well elsewhere. 'If' he did become available would he fit the profile of manager we should be looking at?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

The managers that I would be looking at would be the following:

Luis Enrique (would be my choice if I were an Arsenal fan)
    Max Allegri (probably a long shot - I can see the Italian National Team approaching him)
    Marcelino (Valencia coach - great jobs with Villarreal and Valencia)
    Maurizio Sarri (at least approach him)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Simeone for me would be ideal cause I think he'd get the best out of some of our players. I might be foolish but I actually think the team is there, just need to be coached better. Some of these guys didn't turn into bad footballers overnight. The proof is how good some of them are on international duty and turn to jelly when they return to the club. If after a year of a different manager the players are making the same stupid mistakes then il be proved wrong but for me, there seems to be no tactical coaching whatsoever being done. You can see it in every game

wonga77 wrote: »
    Simeone for me would be ideal cause I think he'd get the best out of some of our players. I might be foolish but I actually think the team is there, just need to be coached better. Some of these guys didn't turn into bad footballers overnight. The proof is how good some of them are on international duty and turn to jelly when they return to the club. If after a year of a different manager the players are making the same stupid mistakes then il be proved wrong but for me, there seems to be no tactical coaching whatsoever being done. You can see it in every game

You're not foolish.

Arsenal really need three key players; goalkeeper, centre-back and tough tackling defensive midfielder.

The attack has exceptional quality if the rest of the team is set up properly.

But the greatest need is a new Manager.

If anyone can be bothered reading a Twitter thread from a supposed ITK. This is one of the guys on AFTV who called Auba before anyone else. He was also talking about Wenger leaving at the end of this season as early as Xmas.

https://twitter.com/ThePlugAFC/status/968425520605093889

I guess one main interesting thing is his shortlist contains Pep. He reckons Pep has always wanted to manage Arsenal, and would like the challenge. There's also talk about someone more experienced coming in, with a younger manager (Henry/Arteta etc) under him for 1/2 years before taking over. He does cover his bases a lot, though.

Either way, there is a definite feel of change in the air.

Is it? I disagree. A winger and a couple of centre mids. Thats what this squad needs in my opinion. A keeper is needed too, but I said that when Cech was signed and got the head bitten off me. He's been on the decline for a long time. Before he joined Arsenal.

The basis of a good team is already there. Ship a few out, bring a few in. Like any club during any summer window. No major rebuild required.

Just new coaching, a new way of playing. That will make a big difference.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Is it? I disagree. A winger and a couple of centre mids. Thats what this squad needs in my opinion. A keeper is needed too, but I said that when Cech was signed and got the head bitten off me. He's been on the decline for a long time. Before he joined Arsenal.

The basis of a good team is already there. Ship a few out, bring a few in. Like any club during any summer window. No major rebuild required.

Just new coaching, a new way of playing. That will make a big difference.

Thats a fair point.
    My gut feeling is that the rebuild is more of a mental one than anything else. The club has been allowed stagnate & players are no longer pushed to suceed/excel & clearly if good enough are playing well within themselves, that needs to be tackled from the top down IMO. The attitude seems far too laid back & secure.

We still need IMO at least 3 top class players, a GK, a centre half & a defensive midfielder & could probably do with a second CH if serious about bridging the gap to Man City, so whilst on paper that doesnt sound like a lot, in reality I suspect it may take at least 2 or 3 windows to achieve that & in that time will also have current players looking to leave or renew contracts so will require replacing. I agree the coaching is the single biggest element though, even with the current squad I'd expect an uplift from a new coach/manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Ha I must be the only one who thinks Rodgers would be a smart move.

The man came a lot closer to winning the league than Wenger post 2004.

Maybe I’m just desperate for change that my judgement is clouded but I do believe he’d improve us.

In saying that I’d prefer Jardim.

omega man wrote: »

Maybe I’m just desperate for change that my judgement is clouded but I do believe he’d improve us.

I think he just got lucky with Suarez.

Would be very interesting to see how the Arsenal players would react to his empty brown envelopes, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I can see it happening ........

A good result against City on Thur night and it's Wenger in again. :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Rodgers would be an absolute disaster. He got lucky that year Liverpool nearly won the title under him, most of their run that year had to do with having one of the best players in the world in the side and playing out of his skin. Without Suarez Liverpool would have finished miles off the pace that year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Arghus wrote: »
    Rodgers would be an absolute disaster. He got lucky that year Liverpool nearly won the title under him, most of their run that year had to do with having one of the best players in the world in the side and playing out of his skin. Without Suarez Liverpool would have finished miles off the pace that year.
    We should have gone the extra 50p and signed him that time too.

You could say the same with many teams over the years. Where would spurs be without Kane for example. Would Leicester have won the title without Vardy? You can’t say Rodgers had nothing to do with that season.

He didn't say he had nothing to do with it. He said most of it was Suarez....which was true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I seem to remember a lot of commentary at the time about how he couldn't fix their defence.

They scored over 100 PL goals that season but it was mostly Suárez apparently. I’m not buying that. I believe Rodgers played a huge part but that’s just my opinion of course. Anyway he’s not my first choice but I do rate him.

They scored over 100 PL goals that season but it was mostly Suárez apparently. I’m not buying that. I believe Rodgers played a huge part but that’s just my opinion of course. Anyway he’s not my first choice but I do rate him.

Did he not get sacked because they went to shìt when Suarez left?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Did he not get sacked because they went to shìt when Suarez left?

True but good managers get sacked every year even after winning league titles! We’re just used to the complete opposite.

True but good managers get sacked every year even after winning league titles! We’re just used to the complete opposite.

What does this mean?

He didn't win a thing, and was helpless when his one good player left.

What does this mean?

He didn't win a thing, and was helpless when his one good player left.

He got sacked OK yeah. He didn’t become a bad manager over night that’s all I’m saying. You don’t rate him I get that too. Who would you rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He got sacked OK yeah. He didn’t become a bad manager over night that’s all I’m saying. You don’t rate him I get that too. Who would you rate?

He rates Wenger :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He was never a very good manger anyway, he won't solve your defensive problems in any way. He relied heavily on Suarez at Liverpool yes, but he also had a fully fit and firing Sturridge who had so much room to play due to Suarez being double and triple marked.

If Rodgers is seriously in conversation or contention for the Arsenal job when Wenger goes ye may as well pack it in.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Ok so Rodgers not feeling the love. Who then?

Like I said already Jardim for me as he’s done a great job even after losing star players.

Outside bet is Arteta. Excellent reputation and a good football brain with experience working under Pep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Just get Jardim and keep it under wraps, then have him sell Lemar to Arsenal as his last act as Monaco manager.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43210300

If I'm reading this right, because Spurs are asking to have their first 4/5 matches away, then we would have to have our first 4/5 at home. This could help a new manager off to a good start, I guess.

Basil3 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43210300

If I'm reading this right, because Spurs are asking to have their first 4/5 matches away, then we would have to have our first 4/5 at home. This could help a new manager off to a good start, I guess.

That's what I got from the article too. Kinda stupid that they can't play a few games at Wembley. Another stupid premier league rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Suarez had more of an impact than Rodgers. In fact, not winning the league with Suarez playing as well as he was is reason enough to exclude him from any potential lists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It wasn't all Suarez, but his quality that year was the x factor that propelled the team, more so than Rodgers management imo. And a lot of Rodgers reputation still boils down to their near success that season. Swansea was eons ago in football terms.

Saying that right now, today, I believe he's probably a better manager than Wenger - he certainly couldn't do worse. But I wouldn't want him as manager for the long or even medium term.

L'prof wrote: »
    Suarez had more of an impact than Rodgers. In fact, not winning the league with Suarez playing as well as he was is reason enough to exclude him from any potential lists

To be fair Salah is having an even better season than Suarez had that year and Liverpool are nowhere near winning a title. You just have to give rogers credit for that year. They were literally a kick of a ball away from winning the league which is more than you can say for Arsenal. Losing the title to f*cking Leicester was unforgivable tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

tuchel is my bet to replace wenger in summer

• Advertisement

To be fair Salah is having an even better season than Suarez had that year and Liverpool are nowhere near winning a title. You just have to give rogers credit for that year. They were literally a kick of a ball away from winning the league which is more than you can say for Arsenal. Losing the title to f*cking Leicester was unforgivable tbh.

Give him all the credit you want. A few trophies with the only team in Scotland doesn’t do much for me to be honest!

Did he not have a huge falling out with yer man Sven Mislintat?

L'prof wrote: »
    Give him all the credit you want. A few trophies with the only team in Scotland doesn’t do much for me to be honest!

I'm desperate for change. If rogers was given the Arsenal job in the morning I'd be 100% behind him. Not saying he's my first choice but I can't see us being any worse under him. Anyway it's all hypothetical.

I'm desperate for change. If rogers was given the Arsenal job in the morning I'd be 100% behind him. Not saying he's my first choice but I can't see us being any worse under him. Anyway it's all hypothetical.

Appointing Rodgers would only make the club a bigger laughing stock than it already is. I can’t see it happening

For Rodgers just look at Celtic's absymal Europa League performance last week, had a terrible record in Europe was slated for the amount of rubbish players he brought into Liverpool, There defence was awful, Finished 7th and 8th also in his tenure with Liverpool I think , Terrible choice if true that he's in the running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Did he not have a huge falling out with yer man Sven Mislintat?

He had with someone for sure

• Advertisement

People ask what Rodgers has done, but what has Tuchel done to deserve the Arsenal job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Rogers? Ugh, no thank you!

Looking at all the options mentioned, Jardim does seem the standout

Loew: World Cup Winner , less than stellar club career though at lesser lights across germany austria and turkey

Rogers: I'd rather another year of Wenger Ball

Jardim: has a great record bringing through young players at Sporting and Monaco, Plays good attacking football, is gettable you'd think, Helped Falcao find his confidence again (he'd be doing that alot with us next season)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Simeone for me. The club really needs a disciplinarian for a manager next. Whip some of these wasters into shape or ship them out. Give him a good contract and a good transfer kitty and give him three years.

Some of those names are a joke. Rodgers shouldn't be anywhere near a shortlist. Loew has done well with Germany but to be fair international management is totally different to the daily grind of working with a club. Hes not had a club job in years and his record there hasnt been that imptessive. For Germany he's also had the pick of one of the best pools of players on the planet which he won't have at Arsenal

sonic85 wrote: »
    Simeone for me. The club really needs a disciplinarian for a manager next. Whip some of these wasters into shape or ship them out. Give him a good contract and a good transfer kitty and give him three years.

Some of those names are a joke. Rodgers shouldn't be anywhere near a shortlist. Loew has done well with Germany but to be fair international management is totally different to the daily grind of working with a club. Hes not had a club job in years and his record there hasnt been that imptessive. For Germany he's also had the pick of one of the best pools of players on the planet which he won't have at Arsenal

Can't argue Simeone is a very strong candidate, but he's not on the "short list" is he?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement