Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

1. Yes. He's clearly past it. Lower level team maybe.
    2.Yes again. That's why he didn't go.

I'm not talking about if he left now, I mean if he left years ago. I think he was overperforming with fairly average squads on a reasonably low budget up until maybe 4 years ago. I don't think he would have had any problem going somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Basil3 wrote: »
    I'm not talking about if he left now, I mean if he left years ago. I think he was overperforming with fairly average squads on a reasonably low budget up until maybe 4 years ago. I don't think he would have had any problem going somewhere else.

Things have gone stale with Arsene at Arsenal. But he would be welcome at many other clubs I've no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »
    not for me - and I don't believe he's there for the money. He's addicted to Arsenal and football management imo. The board are unfortunately enabling him.

He still thinks he is acting in the club best interests.

I find the abuse directed at him unnecessary and unbelievably childish.

AFTV are just an embarrassment. Unfortunately they embarrass the club too.
    Did you listen to the podcast?
    He's getting it from football men too.
    I feel he deserves it. I believe he is greedy and just like the money men who lost out in the recession here through greed.

I'd agree if he had left in 207/8 but not after.
    He has ruined his own stature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Things have gone stale with Arsene at Arsenal. But he would be welcome at many other clubs I've no doubt.

He's a laughing stock at this stage. I doubt there'd be many clubs looking to employ him and his out date tactics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The likes of Qatar/China I would say will be where he ends up. No top club is going to want him, and nobody aside from those types of leagues is going to pay him anywhere near what he's on now. Or I could possibly see him taking the national job of a smaller country, not even sure France would want him at this stage.

Did you listen to the podcast?
    He's getting it from football men too.
    I feel he deserves it. I believe he is greedy and just like the money men who lost out in the recession here through greed.

No, I might later. Which "football men" ?

Quazzie wrote: »
    He's a laughing stock at this stage. I doubt there'd be many clubs looking to employ him and his out date tactics

The likes of Hodgson, Pardew, Allardyce etc etc walk from club to club despite very little success. Wenger would have no trouble finding work in the UK or wherever he chose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The likes of Hodgson, Pardew, Allardyce etc etc walk from club to club despite very little success. Wenger would have no trouble finding work in the UK or wherever he chose.

He needs a new challenge. He is not going to turn Arsenal around. The club needs a new manager and ethos, away from the stale, lacklustre, inept style of management currently in place. Any criticism of Wenger now, he brought on himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the first shouts for the new manager to get the boot. I reckon he'll be lucky to get ten games.

Likewise if a new manager brings a marked improvement I’m looking forward to the quietness of the Wenger supporters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

omega man wrote: »
    Likewise if a new manager brings a marked improvement I’m looking forward to the quietness of the Wenger supporters!

Oh, don't worry.

I'll be here, shamed at my own stubbornness while you all celebrate Stan's massive investment and the many, many league titles it brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

All three of them are on a third of what Arsene is.

Lets be real here, most relegation fodder would love to have him......they would just never in a million year pay for him. And in fairness, Arsene is arrogant. He would seem himself as above those jobs. And has already been mentioned, none of the top clubs would want him. Maybe a second tier club with bags of money like Monaco.

At the moment I would settle for belief. I have no faith or optimism with the current set up. Win or lose, I want a proper team to get behind and support, and not this spineless cushion soft team.

He'll probably manage the French team after Arsenal then retire or die doing that.

Blue lines on the pitch tonight in honour of city’s cup win....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Okay lads here's episode 18 and this episode is majoritively Arsenal and Jamie is back in aswell

https://soundcloud.com/brian-oregan-932825069/bp-zone-episode-18

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/bp-zone-arsenal/bp-zone?refid=stpr

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/bp-zone-arsenal-podcast/id1334453540

Would be awesome if you could leave a review on Stitcher and Itunes aswell lads helps get the podcast heard :)

He'll probably manage the French team after Arsenal then retire or die doing that.

I doubt he'd be let near the French team. All they have to do is listen to some of his recent interviews to see how delusional he's got. The one about the referee not allowing enough injury time last Sun takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Blue lines on the pitch tonight in honour of city’s cup win....

I thought you were joking, but it’s true that the pitch markings are blue tonight for heightened visibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Missed the cold snap on my holibobs to San Diego. Missed the cup final as I was flying out and opting to see Black Panther in IMAX rather than trying to find somewhere showing the game tonight or trying to stream it. I’ll catch the result later on at some stage and while I do think it’ll be a better showing than Sunday, I just don’t care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

not for me - and I don't believe he's there for the money. He's addicted to Arsenal and football management imo.

He still thinks he is acting in the club best interests.

I find the abuse directed at him unnecessary and unbelievably childish.

AFTV are just an embarrassment. Unfortunately they embarrass the club too.

I'd agree with all this and sorry for butting in, I'm a Liverpool fan. But always liked Wenger.

It's sad seeing people turning on him and saying stuff like hes only there for the money. I'd say he has more than enough money.

He certainly has outstayed his welcome and at this stage all the wonderful things he did for yee guys are probably being diluted by staying too long.

But he was an outstanding manager and surely the anger should be directed at the ones who renewed his contract rather than him.
    I mean, if he cant see that its time to go then someone else should?

• Advertisement

I'd agree with all this and sorry for butting in, I'm a Liverpool fan. But always liked Wenger.

It's sad seeing people turning on him and saying stuff like hes only there for the money. I'd say he has more than enough money.

He certainly has outstayed his welcome and at this stage all the wonderful things he did for yee guys are probably being diluted by staying too long.

But he was an outstanding manager and surely the anger should be directed at the ones who renewed his contract rather than him.
    I mean, if he cant see that its time to go then someone else should?
    Many people who had loads of money invested in things they didn't need to in all walks of life. It's called greed. Wenger has it too imo. Why else would he award himself a 2m rise?

Any guesses for the lineup tonight? With Monreal injured, in guessing Kolasinac comes in.

Who out of Ramsey/Wilshere/Micky misses out in midfield? I would include Xhaka in that, but he seems undroppable.

Personally, I'd drop Jack to the bench and use him as an impact player.

Many people who had loads of money invested in things they didn't need to in all walks of life. It's called greed. Wenger has it too imo. Why else would he award himself a 2m rise?

I wasn't aware that he did. But how many job offers do you think he turned down over the years for better money?

It was never, still isn't, about money for him. Fine to criticise tactics, purchases etc but nah I dont think stuff like money or loyalty is fair.

Definitely stubborn though.

I thought you were joking, but it’s true that the pitch markings are blue tonight for heightened visibility.

Hopefully an orange ball used too as someone suggested earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Any guesses for the lineup tonight? With Monreal injured, in guessing Kolasinac comes in.

Who out of Ramsey/Wilshere/Micky misses out in midfield? I would include Xhaka in that, but he seems undroppable.

Personally, I'd drop Jack to the bench and use him as an impact player.

Mustafi should be the first player dropped, just for that first goal alone. I don't actually care if the replacement is worse, players need a kick up the back side for underperforming.

I wasn't aware that he did. But how many job offers do you think he turned down over the years for better money?

It was never, still isn't, about money for him. Fine to criticise tactics, purchases etc but nah I dont think stuff like money or loyalty is fair.

Definitely stubborn though.
    Very few in the last number of years imo. Before that maybe.
    Tactics over the years he lacks. He allowed us to suffer very humiliating defeats, the 6 - 0 at Chelsea, was a vivid one as he made feck all changes that day.
    Is arrogance being mistaken for stubborness i wonder?

Mustafi should be the first player dropped, just for that first goal alone. I don't actually care if the replacement is worse, players need a kick up the back side for underperforming.
    I would stick Chambers in before him. Should be benched for a month at least. It will be interesting if he is selected after his body suffered such a jolt last Sunday. I wonder will Ozil play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭allinthehead

I would stick Chambers in before him. Should be benched for a month at least. It will be interesting if he is selected after his body suffered such a jolt last Sunday. I wonder will Ozil play?

Seriously? Chambers was absolutely skinned for the Silva goal on Sunday. Even less pace than Mustafi.

☀️

Seriously? Chambers was absolutely skinned for the Silva goal on Sunday. Even less pace than Mustafi.
    I know, i don't like him but what does it say about the club if Mustafi plays?
    Holden is even worse. Unless he plays Elneny as a CB?

• Advertisement

Very few in the last number of years imo. Before that maybe.
    Tactics over the years he lacks. He allowed us to suffer very humiliating defeats, the 6 - 0 at Chelsea, was a vivid one as he made feck all changes that day.
    Is arrogance been mistaken for stubborness i wonder?

Fine line between the two alright but either way its a far cry from staying for money.

I said in my last post that if it's tactical criticism then fine. So no argument there.
    I really don't see enough of yee these days to even form an opinion on the tactics anyway.

I took objection to the money comment mainly. Because that's just not him.
    He's been incredibly loyal and there were times when bigger clubs and more money were offered and he said no to stay with yee.

I agree he should go but the criticism should be fair and it isn't. It's gone beyond fairness.
    It's becoming personal now which is a shame after all he did for the club.

Owners should be taking the brunt of it now, if Wenger can't see it himself. They should have done it already.

You mean start or play like not go missing? It matters little now Tayto, IMO. Lose and Wenger will wheel out the same old jaded excuses. Win and how great we are, when the reality is we are not. BS with either result.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    You mean start or play like not go missing? It matters little now Tayto, IMO. Lose and Wenger will wheel out the same old jaded excuses. Win and how great we are, when the reality is we are not. BS with either result.
    I said a few weeks ago that we should even start the new young Greek lad as CB and give him experience. It doesn't matter anymore as we are where we are and won't finish higher than 6th imo.
    Ozil is clearly hiding and keeping himself fit for the World Cup as was suggested before here.

I said a few weeks ago that we should even start the new young Greek lad as CB and give him experience. It doesn't matter anymore as we are where we are and won't finish higher than 6th imo.
    Ozil is clearly hiding and keeping himself fit for the World Cup as was suggested before here.

Absolutely. Ozil got his new contract, why bother now, he doesn't most of the time anyway. Give the young guy and a few others a bit of experience.

I know, i don't like him but what does it say about the club if Mustafi plays?
    Holden is even worse. Unless he plays Elneny as a CB?

Holden is worse i agree. Our defense is a mess.

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

• Advertisement

Interesting lineup. Didn't even think about Welbeck coming in.

Good luck to them.

Once again, our bench is brutal. Dunno what's up with Jack.

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Mustafi and Welbeck starting :pac:
    Says everything about us.

So much weakness in that team but who knows, City will surely have a hangover from the weekend and the optimist in me thinks we must be better.

☀️

positives : iwobi dropped

negatives : xhaka , welbeck , mustafi ...

more negatives than positives sums us up

Just go all out attack and lose 4-5 or something ridiculous. At least it’d be fcuking interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

The only way Wenger will succeed at his next job (if he has one and doesn't retire) is if he has an array of outstanding individuals who can perform at a world class level regardless of tactics or coaching.

Anybody that has watched Arsenal over the last number of years knows his ability to coach a team is non existant now and that just won't work at clubs with journeymen. So that leaves the likes of Real Barca Bayern etc. But would any of those clubs actually want 2018 Arsene Wenger? I'd be shocked if they did.

The money thing is totally relevant too in my opinion. The man is earning 8 million a year or thereabouts for being in charge of a steadily declining team. If he was at any other club in world football he would've been sacked long ago but he's getting paid a small fortune for this sh1t and why? Because 10, 12, 14 years ago he was a fantastic manager? Unbelievable Jeff

De bruyne to cut us like butter and sane+aguero to make us look like kids i think , is G.neville commentating tonight for another laugh :D

Apparently Wilshere has an ankle injury.....

Interview with Micky and Auba coming up on Sky. Should be interesting, a few snippets from it have been floating around in the press today.

Interview with Micky and Auba coming up on Sky. Should be interesting, a few snippets from it have been floating around in the press today.

I hope to see a bit more from them two. Show us why they were signed.

☀️

Now lads, up and at them. Show a bit of passion and pride in the jersey.
    We're Arsenal. Get stuck in like we use to.

I hope to see a bit more from them two. Show us why they were signed.

$$$$$$$$

Feck all at the game. Fans pi**ed off.

Feck all at the game. Fans pi**ed off.

Part of it. It's also a rescheduled match to a weeknight when the weather is rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

They'll blame the weather despite City's end being full

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement