Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Dortmund still 0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭allinthehead

I think it's fair to say we've had the rub of the green over the two legs. Milan have had their chances. We deserve the lead tho Welbecks peno aside obviously.

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Dortmund still 0-0

Whoever beats Athletico is winning this out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

wonga77 wrote: »
    Whoever beats Athletico is winning this out

For sure. They'd be the favourites now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The Milan sure know how to stay upbeat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The Milan sure know how to stay upbeat

Second a few hundred quid on a trip to London you might as well make a party out of it.

I think the fans are just grateful of the turnaround that's happened since Gattuso took over. Bar the two games Vs Arsenal their record has been pretty impressive since the head case got in the door.

Wilshere goes down way too often.

Nice goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Basil3 wrote: »
    Wilshere goes down way too often.

I nearly think he does it out fear of tackles. Go down before contact can happen so he can't get injured.

Game over.

The score flatters arsenal massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Gattuso out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Good result, nice to get a bit of feel goods going again.

Keeps the interest in the end of season games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Great result were back lads were back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Good win. Very timid players for Italians we AC Milan, no rough taclkles at all, very un-Italian. Our midfield did very well tonight.
    Are Atletico Madrid now the favourites for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

The stars are aligning for Wenger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

To quote Gattuso, we are “sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe s*it”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

https://soundcloud.com/brian-oregan-932825069/bp-zone-episode-20

Here's episode 20 thanks for all the questions delighted with the result though Milan were so poor. almost like a role reversal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Arsenal fan hejust new on this thread, posting some alternative thinking.

Typically, we divide the Arsene Wenger era in two, pre-2006 and post-2006. As a result, I, like most Arsenal fans think he has served his time and it is time to go.

However, someone gave me pause today. They suggested I divide the Arsene Wenger era in three. So here we go:

1996-2005 - 7 major trophies in 9 years - 11 if you include the Community Shield.
    2005- 2013 - 0 trophies in 8 years
    2013- date - 3 trophies in 4 years, (6, if you include the Community Shield) with this season the Europa League up for grabs.

So where do the various eras of Wenger end up?

well, if you divide them like this, Chapman is still no.1 Arsenal manager, Wenger no. 1 is probably second.

Wenger no. 2 is ranking with the worst ever Arsenal managers, with no real trophies from 2005 to 2014.

But where is Wenger no.3 in the list of Arsenal managers? If he wins the Europa League, that is 4 trophies in five seasons, including Arsenal's third ever European trophy. Graham won 6 in 9 years.

When you hear Kroenke say that we must be realistic, is he looking at these types of statistics? In any assessment of Wenger, can you disregard the barren periods of Wenger 2, and do you think that the F.A. Cup or the Europa League are still trophies worthy of winning? If not, then the answer is very simple - Wenger Out. If not, and there are some who think differently, winning the Europa League (if it happens) gives pause for thought, even if only for another year.

I was Wenger Out up until a few weeks ago, this alternative perspective has given me pause. No more than that, but if Arsenal win the Europa League, and finish the season strongly in the League, I will be back among the undecided.

I know this doubt will go against the main feelings of this thread (I have been watching but not posting) and it also goes against the feelings of most Arsenal fans who want Wenger out, but sometimes the devil you know......

Wenger 3 hasn't competed for either of the major trophies , arguement over for Wenger 3 ......in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Wenger 3 hasn't competed for either of the major trophies , arguement over for Wenger 3 ......in my opinion

I agree, but it is an interesting viewpoint, one I never heard before!

Yeah definitely the 1st time I've heard that spin , I'd say Wenger 2 has been closer to a league title than Wenger 3 , Which for me is the defining point

Also Champions Final in 2006 would put Wenger 2 closer to that one aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

No, I've supported the man always but at this stage for his own good and the clubs there has to be a separation. We all know it. I'd still be tempted to call a son Arsene, but it is what it is by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Neither has Klopp or Pochettino. Where those managers?

If, and it is a big if, Arsenal win the Europa League, where does Wenger stand among the big clubs?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Champions_League_clubs_performance_comparison

If you look at this table, who in england is better than Wenger over the last four years?

Would we be better off doing a Liverpool and winning the Champions League in 2005 and nothing except one F.A.cup since (well a League Cup also) or a Spurs
    team that has won.......the putting Manchester City under pressure title.

To be honest, I prefer winning trophies because I get to celebrate, and I also believe you shouldn't sack a manger who just won a trophy, so there we are.

Spurs don't come in the equation because 2 decent seasons don't make a big club for me , Liverpool I'll give you though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Stan Kroenke is the real problem...

Are the troll bots bored of politics or something?

I want my sexual history to be judged on a week I had in Lanzarote. I want that week to be treated as an average representative week of my life.

Are the troll bots bored of politics or something?

I want my sexual history to be judged on a week I had in Lanzarote. I want that week to be treated as an average representative week of my life.

Wenger out dude, the things he has made you do !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Think the media reaction to Welbeck's dive has been completely over the top.

When Vardy, Alli, Kane etc fall over very easily under the slightest challenge they are being clever. I thought the UK press were showing a bit of bias towards their own players

When Welbeck does it he receives universal condemnation on the back pages of every tabloid. Wonder why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Here's episode 20 thanks for all the questions delighted with the result though Milan were so poor. almost like a role reversal

I've listened to a few of these and there enjoyable but sort out that picture :D
    Ozil - grand, Mahrez - grand but Pogba - no business been there!! Put up someone like De Bruyne, a top midfielder from the league!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

ouch the UCL draw looks like this

Barcelona (ESP) v Roma (ITA)
    Sevilla (ESP) v Bayern (GER)
    Juventus (ITA) v Real Madrid (ESP)
    Liverpool (ENG) v Manchester City (ENG)

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Think the media reaction to Welbeck's dive has been completely over the top.

When Vardy, Alli, Kane etc fall over very easily under the slightest challenge they are being clever. I thought the UK press were showing a bit of bias towards their own players

When Welbeck does it he receives universal condemnation on the back pages of every tabloid. Wonder why?
    Racism?

Racism?

Id say the fact that the majority of them are idiots who flip flop so much that im surprised they arent tied in knots is more of a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Liverpool vs Man City in the Champions League. Europa League draw coming up! COYG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Racism?

Alli disproves that. I'm not sure what it is, but our ones always seem to be really high-profile. Eduardo as well, when the likes of Gerrard were diving on a weekly basis. That ones more explainable though, damn foreigners. This? I have no idea.

It was such a blatant dive though. At least there is a look of a foul in most other cases, Danny’s dive was ridiculous and in no way should we condone that. The press are absolutely correct I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

We got CSKA Moscow.

• Advertisement

Europa League Draw:

Leipzig (GER) v Marseille (FRA)
    Arsenal (ENG) v CSKA Moskva (RUS)
    Atlético (ESP) v Sporting CP (POR)
    Lazio (ITA) v Salzburg (AUT)

Home leg first. Need a healthy win there, Russia could be tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Home leg first. Need a healthy win there, Russia could be tough.

Not even close to taking anything for granted here.

It's not Athletico, but it is still Arsenal.

Is it certain we’re at home first?

On the bright side, CSKAs defence has a combined age of about a billion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

emmetlego wrote: »

Home team is drawn first.

yea game at the Emirates is on April 5

Ah crap, always better at home in 2nd leg! Ah well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

If we win 2 or 3 nil easily at home I would be quite worried we will go to their place feeling too confident again and get hockeyed in the first 20mins

If we win 2 or 3 nil easily at home I would be quite worried we will go to their place feeling too confident again and get hockeyed in the first 20mins

Yeah, we should definitely try to lose the home leg

It was such a blatant dive though. At least there is a look of a foul in most other cases, Danny’s dive was ridiculous and in no way should we condone that. The press are absolutely correct I think
    This is it. At full speed it was obvious. There was no anticipation of the replay wondering if maybe it was. It's one of the worst I've seen in a good while.

At some stage someone will ask Wenger about Putin in an interview. He'll say that he doesnt want to be associated with someone so power hungry, who ignores protests and has no intention of giving up his throne. And then Wenger will have to reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Bang 2 or 3 in at home and hold off for the draw away i think is our plan :) still think it will be between us and A.madrid in the latter rounds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

This is it. At full speed it was obvious. There was no anticipation of the replay wondering if maybe it was. It's one of the worst I've seen in a good while.

There was contact though. Rodriguez' arm came into contact with Welbeck's shoulder. That's what Danny felt and its what the lino behind the goal saw. Nowhere near enough to cause him to fall over. But that hasn't stopped Alli, Vardy et al from doing the same. The only difference is contact is normally with legs not upper body.

greendom wrote: »
    There was contact though. Rodriguez' arm came into contact with Welbeck's shoulder. That's what Danny felt and its what the lino behind the goal saw. Nowhere near enough to cause him to fall over. But that hasn't stopped Alli, Vardy et al from doing the same. The only difference is contact is normally with legs not upper body.

I've looked at it time and again, looks to me like the defender may have caught Dannys heel, and he then tripped himself up, maybe going down too easy, but let's be honest, we've all seen Danny fall over loads of times in such a Bambi on ice fashion in the past. It's possible he didn't dive and he is just that clumsy?

It's caused so much controversy, I decided to look at it time and again. Me and the better half both agree in the slow motion, there is some contact with Danny's heel.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement