Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

emmetlego wrote: »
    I've looked at it time and again, looks to me like the defender may have caught Dannys heel, and he then tripped himself up, maybe going down too easy, but let's be honest, we've all seen Danny fall over loads of times in such a Bambi on ice fashion in the past. It's possible he didn't dive and he is just that clumsy?

It's caused so much controversy, I decided to look at it time and again. Me and the better half both agree in the slow motion, there is some contact with Danny's heel.

Interesting. I'll have another look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I've looked at it time and again, looks to me like the defender may have caught Dannys heel, and he then tripped himself up, maybe going down too easy, but let's be honest, we've all seen Danny fall over loads of times in such a Bambi on ice fashion in the past. It's possible he didn't dive and he is just that clumsy?

It's caused so much controversy, I decided to look at it time and again. Me and the better half both agree in the slow motion, there is some contact with Danny's heel.

Ha ha not for the first time.
    He played well enough last night from all accounts. I only saw bits of the game myself.

Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ah crap, always better at home in 2nd leg! Ah well

Back when Arsenal had Henry et al I genuinely preferred to be away in the 2nd leg. Meant you knew exactly what you had to do and I was always confident they could score. Now...

Edit: Just seeing the Welbeck penalty decision now. Genuinely thought there must have been some contact but can't see how he doesn't face retrospective action for it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

L'prof wrote: »
    Back when Arsenal had Henry et al I genuinely preferred to be away in the 2nd leg. Meant you knew exactly what you had to do and I was always confident they could score. Now...

Edit: Just seeing the Welbeck penalty decision now. Genuinely thought there must have been some contact but can't see how he doesn't face retrospective action for it!

Do they have retrospective action for Europa League? I thought that was only in the FA run competitions.

We got CSKA Moscow.

Not a bad draw for Arsenal. Have to throw everything including the kitchen sink at this. Win the EL, and you're straight into the CL group stages regardless under UEFA rule changes for the 2018-21 competitions cycle.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2444525.html#/

CatInABox wrote: »
    Do they have retrospective action for Europa League? I thought that was only in the FA run competitions.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5823072/danny-welbeck-europa-league-diving-retrospective-ban-champions-league/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

With Dortmund gone out I believe that means Aubameyang is now eligible?

As he has not played in the comp he should be no longer cup-tied as he can't draw his ex-club anymore.

If so it raises another issue: you can only have one player who played in the Champions League that season in the EL (unless you're a club who dropped down after group stage obvs) so we would have to choose between him and Mkhi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

2ndcoming wrote: »
    With Dortmund gone out I believe that means Aubameyang is now eligible?

As he has not played in the comp he should be no longer cup-tied as he can't draw his ex-club anymore.

If so it raises another issue: you can only have one player who played in the Champions League that season in the EL (unless you're a club who dropped down after group stage obvs) so we would have to choose between him and Mkhi.

I don't think that's how it works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

As far as I know, he was made unavailable because as we entered the knock out stages, his old club were still in it and therefor unavailable for the remainder of the competition. A bit of a silly rule really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

As far as I know, he was made unavailable because as we entered the knock out stages, his old club were still in it and therefor unavailable for the remainder of the competition. A bit of a silly rule really?

Aye it's s stupid rule. The only reason you should be ineligible is if a player is named in the match day squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It sounds like Wilshere is being allowed to leave. It's pretty much the only thing Wenger could allow happen now that would lower my opinion of him even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Gotta say I don't really get the Wilshere-love from a lot of Arsenal fans and some on this thread.

He's an alright player but bar winning and giving away lots of free kicks and 'putting himself about' he contributes very little offensively or defensively.

Couldn't hold down a place for Bournemouth, has a wretched injury track record and generally for me he's in that bracket where his style of play means he just looks a better player than he actually is.

Don't get me wrong, he merits a new contract but not an improved one and we all know that CM is one place that desperately needs an upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Yep, after what he's contributed over the last 3-4 years he's not worth more than what's being offered to him, even if Ozil etc have been handed massive pay rises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Did i read he's been offered a wage cut (to 80k!) but huge performance bonuses?

That's fair, if he can stay injury free and contribute, he gets paid more. If he's not playing, he's not getting monster wages.

Sign it, Jack. Sign it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I'll be sad to see him leave, as he strikes me as a gunner through and through. It does scream to me though that they have a replacement lined up...

Main concern for me though, another home grown player being moved on. Are we near the quota now? Theo, Gibbs, Ox and wasn't Coq considered a home grown? If we ship out Jack and maybe Ramsey we must surely be close to the mark?

I've said it before, but I'd be much more upset if Ramsey left. If given a choice between Ramsey and Wilshere, I'd pick Ramsey every time (even though I realise they're very different players).

Wilshere is very good for us. I despair any time the ball goes near Ramsey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I'll be sad to see him leave, as he strikes me as a gunner through and through. It does scream to me though that they have a replacement lined up...

Main concern for me though, another home grown player being moved on. Are we near the quota now? Theo, Gibbs, Ox and wasn't Coq considered a home grown? If we ship out Jack and maybe Ramsey we must surely be close to the mark?

For 2018-19, I make it this:

Club-trained: Macey, Iwobi, Ramsey, Bellerin, Wilshere, Jenkinson, Martinez, Iliev, Akpom (we must have four of these, three of them are goalkeepers and one is a striker who doesn't score)
    Association-trained: Welbeck, Chambers, Holding, Bramall (these can be augmented by transfers in)

The likes of Maitland-Niles, Nelson, Willock, Nketiah, Bielik, Reine-Adelaide, Sheaf are all still U-21 by my reckoning. Some are a few years away from taking up squad spots.

Realistically, only Maitland-Niles will be coming into the full squad for 2019-20. The other 1997 kids - Huddart, Moore, Marc Bola, Johnson, Eyoma, and Pleguezuelo - are very unlikely to be first-team material, with the possible exception of Zelalem who needs a big season next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Wilshere is one of the few players in that squad that appears to have a bit of passion and determination to turn things around when it's not going well. He's also Arsenal through and through. You'd be fúcking mad to let that leave the club, regardless of his injury record and on/off form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Wilshere is one of the few players in that squad that appears to have a bit of passion and determination to turn things around when it's not going well. He's also Arsenal through and through. You'd be fúcking mad to let that leave the club, regardless of his injury record and on/off form.

Ill start off by saying id like Wilshere to stay but i can see the clubs point of view in this. You cant pay big bucks to an injury prone player whose form has been hit and miss the past few seasons just because he has "pashun". Its not West Ham we are !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Throw out some questions for tonights podcast i know its been a quite week and another ahead but the show must go on !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Throw out some questions for tonights podcast i know its been a quite week and another ahead but the show must go on !

How do you think you're going to perform tomorrow night in the Delta Dome? Will it be a emirates game in glorious sunshine or more of a wet and windy Stoke City on a Tuesday night?

wawaman wrote: »
    Ill start off by saying id like Wilshere to stay but i can see the clubs point of view in this. You cant pay big bucks to an injury prone player whose form has been hit and miss the past few seasons just because he has "pashun". Its not West Ham we are !

....and he's injured again

The Guardian: England travel to Netherlands for friendly without Jack Wilshere. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwqrak_jc

Basil3 wrote: »
    ....and he's injured again

The Guardian: England travel to Netherlands for friendly without Jack Wilshere. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwqrak_jc

Not listed as injured in the "Arsenal Injury Room".

https://www.arsenalreport.com/injuryroom/

Might just be a save mode for next week.

Not listed as injured in the "Arsenal Injury Room".

https://www.arsenalreport.com/injuryroom/

Might just be a save mode for next week.

If he was fit, he'd be playing. He'd be desperate to play his way into the World Cup squad.

https://soundcloud.com/brian-oregan-932825069/bp-zone-episode-21

Heres episode 21 of the podcast check it out guys :)

If he was fit, he'd be playing. He'd be desperate to play his way into the World Cup squad.

Yes but he also wants a new contract at Arsenal too so might not want to rock the boat. hard to know.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I don't think that's how it works

It would actually be a good rule though tbh even if i am saying it in wishful thinking.

Jack has not recovered from the knee injury and won't feature against Italy.

Will struggle to make the WC squad now unless he has an exceptional end to the season.

I see Ospina gifted his old team mate a goal last night in the France Colombia game. I'm sure Olly was very grateful .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Kicker in Germany linking us with Tuchel for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Weird one, wasn't Tuchel the reason Mislintat left Dortmund?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Its a bit stronger than linking. They stated is as fact. He turned down Bayern because of it they say. Without a judgement in it. The statement said 'too late, I've already signed up elsewhere'.

If you're not familiar with kicker in terms of reliability they have top spot. They're like The Times of German soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Weird one, wasn't Tuchel the reason Mislintat left Dortmund?

I think that was more to do with the structures in Dortmund more than anything else. I read somewhere that Tuchel wasn't allowed to choose the transfers either in or out and as Sven was involved in those decisions they were always gonna clash (professionally).

Just to add, that's what I read into it but I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

The board wouldn't be lining up a new manager when there is a year left on Arsene's contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Pardon my ignorance but what exactly has Tuchel done to warrant being linked with Arsenal and Bayern? From what I've read he did well at Mainz but has he really proved himself at a big club? He was sacked by Dortmund for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

https://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

AMN listed here didn't think he was injured at all

As to Tuchel it's between Chelsea or Arsenal as he was linked with a job in London and we all know Conte is leaving Chelsea when the season ends and he will go to PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭yknaa

5star02707 wrote: »
    https://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

AMN listed here didn't think he was injured at all

As to Tuchel it's between Chelsea or Arsenal as he was linked with a job in London and we all know Conte is leaving Chelsea when the season ends and he will go to PSG.

PSG might have a say in this yet

• Advertisement

Lacazette and Ramsey back in full training today.

Be good to have Alex in the squad for the Europa League push.

Elneny has extended his contract

Mohamed Elneny: Egypt and Arsenal midfielder extends contract with Premier League club - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43547026

I would have been a little bit meh about it a few months ago, but he has proved himself as a useful squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Elneny has extended his contract

Mohamed Elneny: Egypt and Arsenal midfielder extends contract with Premier League club - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43547026

I would have been a little bit meh about it a few months ago, but he has proved himself as a useful squad player.

I like Elneny, he won't win you a game but he won't lose it for you either, I think his use of the ball is slightly underappreciated, he rarely loses composure and is well able to play through the press IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I like Elneny, he won't win you a game but he won't lose it for you either, I think his use of the ball is slightly underappreciated, he rarely loses composure and is well able to play through the press IMO.

Seen this on facebook

According to “WhoScored”, Elneny has a passing accuracy rate of 93.1% in the Premier League since 2015/16 - this is a higher percentage than any other Premier League player who has started in at least 20 league games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Quazzie wrote: »
    Seen this on facebook

According to “WhoScored”, Elneny has a passing accuracy rate of 93.1% in the Premier League since 2015/16 - this is a higher percentage than any other Premier League player who has started in at least 20 league games.

They probably left out the passes that went forward. All 0 of them :)

keano_afc wrote: »

I take it you didn't watch the Watford game?

• Advertisement

He is not the worst. He passes forward a fair bit of the time and rarely gives it away as the stats confirm.
    He also has a great engine and is not a bad tackler either. He tracks back well too.
    Overall he is a very good squad player.
    There's a lot worse than Elneny on the books.

As compared to Jack, he does a load more passes per match, with almost an identical percentage forward as Jack....at least based on this season in the league.

Anyone get tickets for the Europa League final? You know, just in case? It's the day before the Rolling Stones though :rolleyes:

Hey guys that time of the week again looking questions for ep22 of the BP Zone ;)

Hey guys that time of the week again looking questions for ep22 of the BP Zone ;)

Did Mike Dean enjoy punishing Arsenal? (Of course he did the wee ***).
    What would form Arsenal's best back four since the inception of the EPL?
    Pick our best 11 since the EPL began?
    Is Wenger really being shoved out by the Board?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement