Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Quazzie wrote:
    Your still wrong. It's not just away win, it's away point. We haven't even gotten a draw
    Teams of lesser ability have figured out the way to beat Arsenal. Hit long balls in order to get their slow, immobile centre backs turned and into trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

**** city and there billions buying there way to success!!

My sentiments exactly. A nobody club buying the league three times does not deserve any congratulations. A shower of ****s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

What is Steve boulds job at arsenal could someone tell me? If he has anything to do with organising that defense of ours he should be fired right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What is Steve boulds job at arsenal could someone tell me? If he has anything to do with organising that defense of ours he should be fired right now.

Stare stoically while we lose, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

His job is to sit there and shut up and if asked anything he obviously responds with a "yes mr. Wenger".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

DenMan wrote: »
    Congratulations Manchester City. Premier League Winners 2018. Next season hopefully we can challenge them!

Congratulations for managing to make everyone talk about their attacking play, ignoring the fact that they have four of the five most expensive defenders in history* and the most expensive goalkeeper ever.

They spent more on a defender in January than we spent on Aubameyang. And it's barely been mentioned.

Achievement me hole.

*the outlier, for the record, is Van Dyke.

I honestly think it would be better if he had Mustafi's shirt, and just stood on the pitch telling people what to do.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Your still wrong. It's not just away win, it's away point. We haven't even gotten a draw

Has there ever been a bigger contrast between home & away form?

Certainly not in the top half of the table.

This nonsense makes me furious.

Do they not realise they could make the entire atmosphere around the club infinitely better by just bothering their arses to turn up for even a handful of the away games?

We could be easily in the top 4 with the exact same players by not acting the absolute pr*ck away to Brighton, Bournemouth, f*cking Watford and Newcastle. Do everything the same, but just keep it tight at the back. It really is as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Unless Southampton win the FA cup, 5th to 7th qualify for the Europa.

Previous years Wenger has complained about the home crowd getting on the back of the team affecting results.

He's now a fraud.

I still want to win the Europa league as nothing will change either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Who gives a fcuk about squad cost. Funny there was no mention of it as an excuse when Leicester won it. Fair play city, hope the fans enjoy it cause you never know when it’s your last.

As for us, I can’t bare to think of the epic meltdown of our club if we were to go out to Atletico (and potentially finish behind Burnley).

The hope of Europa success is literally the glue holding things together right now.

omega man wrote: »
    Who gives a fcuk about squad cost. Funny there was no mention of it as an excuse when Leicester won it. Fair play city, hope the fans enjoy it cause you never know when it’s your last.

As for us, I can’t bare to think of the epic meltdown of our club if we were to go out to Atletico (and potentially finish behind Burnley).

The hope of Europa success is literally the glue holding things together right now.

Anyone with even the tiniest grasp of economic reality cares about squad cost.

Are you serious?

Do i need to point out, yet again, that Leicester's absolute freak season was the only one of the past 5 premier league titles that wasn't won by a petrodollar club?

Do you honestly think it has no bearing on the results?

I say, yet again, just because it's boring and tedious to hear about, it doesn't mean it's not true.

I'm not for a second saying there aren't a bunch of things wrong at Arsenal, but them's the facts.

Sporting competition, me hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Sad fact is Arsenal have 2 shareholders that are as good as having the petro dollar but 1 is bleeding the club dry(Stan) while keeping the other out of the loop(Usmanov)

We should be well able to compete with any club in the world for any player but profit is the name of the game for our board.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I'm not for a second saying there aren't a bunch of things wrong at Arsenal, but them's the facts.

Sporting competition, me hole.

Quit watching football then as It’s not going to change anytime soon like it or not. Rich clubs generally win more, shock horror!! FFP died some time ago sadly.

It just makes it sweeter when a Leicester happens once in a blue moon.

Sad fact is Arsenal have 2 shareholders that are as good as having the petro dollar but 1 is bleeding the club dry(Stan) while keeping the other out of the loop(Usmanov)

We should be well able to compete with any club in the world for any player but profit is the name of the game for our board.

We have one owner, who is a businessman, and not remotely interested in anything other than his return on invetsment.

Which is not "as good as having the petro dollar" it is, in fact the absolute opposite.

And I would give up, but I'm sadly addicted, which, to rub salt in the wounds, is exactly what pr*cks like Kroenke rely on.

• Advertisement

We have one owner, who is a businessman, and not remotely interested in anything other than his return on invetsment.

Which is not "as good as having the petro dollar" it is, in fact the absolute opposite.

And I would give up, but I'm sadly addicted, which, to rub salt in the wounds, is exactly what pr*cks like Kroenke rely on.

I agree Donie...I meant that their wealth was as much rather than the club having that money on tap.

Usmanov would open his wallet,sadly we got stuck with Kroenke whos happy to suck every penny out of our club to further his American sports interests

Just on the second point here, we can compete, within reason, and we do.

Where it becomes impossible is that you can compete for one 40-50 million player, but it's always a gamble - see Mustafi for an excellent example (finally, something excellent about him). Some clubs do it over and over in one position until it works - see Man City in every position.

So, it not so much about competing for the best players, it's about being able to splash a similar amount of cash over and over to negate the gamble.

I'm getting off topic here, I don't want to be accused of denying the nonsense going on at Arsenal (I'm not, I can handle not winning sh*t, but I'm furious about our away bullsh*t). All I'm saying is that what City have done is not an achievement in any sporting sense.

I mean, don't forget, they also have the most coveted manager in the world, simply because Sheik Mansour fired millions of dollars at him.

Just on the second point here, we can compete, within reason, and we do.

Where it becomes impossible is that you can compete for one 40-50 million player, but it's always a gamble - see Mustafi for an excellent example (finally, something excellent about him). Some clubs do it over and over in one position until it works - see Man City in every position.

So, it not so much about competing for the best players, it's about being able to splash a similar amount of cash over and over to negate the gamble.

I'm getting off topic here, I don't want to be accused of denying the nonsense going on at Arsenal (I'm not, I can handle not winning sh*t, but I'm furious about our away bullsh*t). All I'm saying is that what City have done is not an achievement in any sporting sense.

I mean, don't forget, they also have the most coveted manager in the world, simply because Sheik Mansour fired millions of dollars at him.

Completely agree....No way in hell could we throw money at transfers in the hope of getting it right one time.
    Like you said earlier about the amount of money City spent on defenders,sure Im not even sure that any of them are better than any of ours ffs....proper coaching of our lads and theyd be as good IMO,but we spent way less assembling them.
    I like how we dont throw money at everything in the hope something will stick.
    At the same time,like yourself,there is a lot more wrong at Arsenal than just money and its dangerous on this thread to not blame everything on the man in the dugout.;)

- see Mustafi for an excellent example (finally, something excellent about him).

I laughed out loud:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Arsenal are solely about profit. Make as much money as possible from the fans and that's all that matters

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I have to admit, I don't think our team is significantly worse than Man Citys, our problem is, and has been for years, a lack of proper coaching from the top.

It's galling that we've got good players, but time and time again, they get stuck in the "lots of potential" phase of their career, rather than progress on to great players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

CatInABox wrote: »
    I have to admit, I don't think our team is significantly worse than Man Citys, our problem is, and has been for years, a lack of proper coaching from the top.

It's galling that we've got good players, but time and time again, they get stuck in the "lots of potential" phase of their career, rather than progress on to great players.

A big spending spree on a defence, GK and Defensive Mid. Some proper coaching and we'd be in the hunt for sure. I think with a more ambitious, hungry coach that won't be afraid to speak his mind some of the players might even get better, the likes of Bellerin and Iwobi come to mind.

That's the killer, it's not like we haven't got a good squad. With work on the defensive side in the transfer market and a top coach, this side would win one or two PL titles. But we seem enamoured in wanting to please Wenger instead of wanting to be great again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

CatInABox wrote: »

Exactly. We don't coach and that's down to the manager and staff but ultimately Wenger.
    Burnley can coach average defenders and make them do their jobs well and they're not a one hit wonder. Dyche has been doing it for years now. Even WBA could rise to it yesterday to twart United.
    We never seem to have a gameplan for our defence and they're like Brown's cows, all over the place. We need 4 new defenders and that's not joking. Those boys are past the point of rescue for me.
    Edit.

I might seem in bad form again but not even 1 point away in 2018 and we're in mid April is just shocking.

In slightly less infuriating news, does anyone else buy Jamon Ruffles on holidays solely because of the Arsecast?

No? Yeah, no me neither. Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Arsenal youths kicking off in the second leg of the youth cup semi final. 2 - 2 after the away leg

Just gone 1 - 0 up. Lovely goal on the break

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

How is anyone moaning about money and owners when Auba cost more than the entire Newcastle team yesterday?

The management are tactically inept and its clear as day on the pitch that there's very little direction being handed out.

domrush wrote: »
    How is anyone moaning about money and owners when Auba cost more than the entire Newcastle team yesterday?

The management are tactically inept and its clear as day on the pitch that there's very little direction being handed out.

Indeed. We lost to another very poor team yesterday, defended shockingly and despite that and not even getting one away point in the current year Wenger was out talking about VAR. He should be spending all his time trying to fix all the wrongs with the team. Shows how comfortable he feels and how the bad performances pose no threat to his position.

4 - 0 half time in the cup Blackpool seem to be a few levels below Arsenal. Still fun to watch (on Arsenal.com)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Hey guys get your questions in for tonights BP Zone episode 25 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wenger in?
    Wenger Out?
    or
    Wenger shake it all about?

This season, more than any other I can remember, our defence is just not working. Is that down to poor defenders or a poor system. If the latter what is actually wrong with it and how can it be improved? Would Mustafi be a good defender with a different system?

(Getting rid of Wenger doesn't count as an answer although it's probably true).

How on earth are we going to beat Athletico Madrid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I don't completely buy into this good players bad coaching argument. Look at the types of mistakes Mustafi makes, like when he overhead kicked the ball back into his own box against CSKA in the first leg. You shouldn't need to tell top level players not to do shít like that.

Yes the defensive coaching is shít, but if you put the entire defence up for sale what kind of clubs do you think would come in for them? Koscielny was almost top drawer, he just had the ability to make a major error every now and then, but he appears to be winding down now. The rest? Maybe some strong coaching could get Bellerin back on track, Monreal is decent enough but I doubt would be attracting any top clubs, Mustafi is just... Cech unfortunately seems to be winding down too, he was a seriously good keeper at Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Defensively we seem to be in a constant state of firefighting, when thats the case stupid mistakes like Musafi has made are more likely the result. You cant coach some stuff but things like not sliding in at every opportunity can be coached out of you. I would hate to be a defender at Arsenal because its basically just the 4 of you defending, the rest of the team are not set up to provide any cover to the back four.

Reported by some newspapers --

Is Vieira the man to replace Wenger?

wawaman wrote: »
    Defensively we seem to be in a constant state of firefighting, when thats the case stupid mistakes like Musafi has made are more likely the result. You cant coach some stuff but things like not sliding in at every opportunity can be coached out of you. I would hate to be a defender at Arsenal because its basically just the 4 of you defending, the rest of the team are not set up to provide any cover to the back four.

And half the time the 2 full backs are closer to the opponents penalty area than their own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Reported by some newspapers --

Is Vieira the man to replace Wenger?

His final year or more at the club were spend trying to get away from us, and he hasn't had a good word to say about the club since, so I really hope not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Quazzie wrote: »
    His final year or more at the club were spend trying to get away from us, and he hasn't had a good word to say about the club since, so I really hope not.

Think you're being a little harsh there, he gave 9 amazing seasons at Arsenal. Basically his whole career as an elite player.

His last year or more at the club included captaining the invincibles and scoring the winning penalty against Utd in the Cup Final. Don't get much more legendary when it comes to Arsenal players imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

We need Chelsea to beat Burnley tonight (as pathetic as it sounds).

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    We need Chelsea to beat Burnley tonight (as pathetic as it sounds).

Burnley FFS.

That's how sick our club has become.
    We are 14 points off fourth place and a massive 33 off the top.

Wanted them to win just to catch spurs! Don’t care much about us finishing 6th or 7th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Burnley FFS.

That's how sick our club has become.
    We are 14 points off fourth place and a massive 33 off the top.

I accept the 14 off 4th is scandalous and completely unacceptable. the 33 points off top is also bad, but let's face it, even if we had a fantastic coach and a WC goalkeeper and 2/3 better players at centre half, centre mid and a right winger of WC quality, we still wouldn't be getting near city!

emmetlego wrote: »
    I accept the 14 off 4th is scandalous and completely unacceptable. the 33 points off top is also bad, but let's face it, even if we had a fantastic coach and a WC goalkeeper and 2/3 better players at centre half, centre mid and a right winger of WC quality, we still wouldn't be getting near city!

We could be in a much better position even with what we have if -

1. they were coached properly.
    2. There were consequences for players having stinkers.
    3. Consequences for extremely poor managing.

omega man wrote: »
    Wanted them to win just to catch spurs! Don’t care much about us finishing 6th or 7th
    Finishing 7th means our season starts about a week after the WC final. Really don't want that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

What does it mean for players like auba who only joined because of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

What does it mean for players like auba who only joined because of him?

Im sure they knew. Especially with the new background team taking the lead in the january transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Tayto and Tipp Gunner's heads are exploding right about now...

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I find it very strange that they announced it now. I reckon it was to pre-empt a leak.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement