Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

My jaw literally dropped when I read the headline. It was hardly a total surprise but it was still a bit of a shocker to see it announced today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

gandalf wrote: »
    I cannot express the feeling of joy and release I felt when I saw the news alert that he has announced he's going. It felt like we had won something!

While it is great for ye he is gone the players are still there. So do not expect an instant return to the top

Just did a fist pump at the airport. Wooooooo!

• Moderators Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭x PyRo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I know we're all happy that the change is finally happening, but can we try to be gracious about it. The over-celebration and jeering just makes us all look sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I know we're all happy that the change is finally happening, but can we try to be gracious about it. The over-celebration and jeering just makes us all look sad.

I certainly wouldn't say my mood is "happy". I recognised that Wenger had to leave a couple of years ago, but now it's happened, it's almost sad again. He still had to leave, of course, and there's the future to look forward to, but I dunno, hard to explain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Same as that. I think I feel mostly relief. It's been hard watching him dismantle his own reputation over the past couple of years but he's done so much for the club that I don't think it's fair that we celebrate like we've won something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Same as that. I think I feel mostly relief. It's been hard watching him dismantle his own reputation over the past couple of years but he's done so much for the club that I don't think it's fair that we celebrate like we've won something.

I'd have agreed with this up until he signed that extension last summer. It was clearly a mistake and I felt some of the abuse being thrown his way was somewhat justified at that point (not the nasty personal stuff however). Whoever gave him that contract to sign should be hung out to dry too, absolutely moronic decision, I'm sure he's been paid off for the final year he won't see out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

gandalf wrote: »
    I cannot express the feeling of joy and release I felt when I saw the news alert that he has announced he's going. It felt like we had won something!

Joy is not an emotion I can associate with a manager leaving, unless the manager has caused us to be relegated, but even then it would more likely be anger I would be feeling. Failure, whether mine or someone else's on my side is not something to be joyous about.

A mixture of relief, shock, sadness and nervousness. The joy will come if we are successful next season under a new manager. It may even come sooner if we win the Europa League.

Joy is also disrespectful to the greatest manager this club has seen. Relief or release I can understand, but not joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Farewell Monsieur Wenger, great coach for Arsenal. Transformed the club to where we are now. Thanks for the memories and hope we get to win 1 last silverware before he leaves at the end of the season. Au revoir!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

x PyRo wrote: »

I think it's perfectly acceptable to laud his invention and vision for the first half of his reign; while harshly criticising the stubbornness and lack of practicality that coloured the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

From the start of the season I've always been one of the people hoping we took the EL seriously & actively tried to win it, I never dismissed it as a trophy not worthy of winning & on foot of this mornings news I hope it lifts us to finally deliver a european trophy for Wenger.
    I was there when we lost to Galatasaray on peno's & watched with 1000's of other gooners on TV as we came oh so close to the big one in 2006. I can think of no better send off for our greatest ever manager that to allow him walk away having delivered the one thing he has failed to do up to this point, european success.

I still suspect we'll lose to Atletico but by god theres no lack of motivation now to go out & do it one more time for Arsene.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The most nauseating thing will be to watch his former critics now slobbering endlessly over him!

Achieved greatness and failure in almost equal measure, and with the pay-off can afford a shiny new telescope ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

blanch152 wrote: »
    Joy is not an emotion I can associate with a manager leaving, unless the manager has caused us to be relegated, but even then it would more likely be anger I would be feeling. Failure, whether mine or someone else's on my side is not something to be joyous about.

A mixture of relief, shock, sadness and nervousness. The joy will come if we are successful next season under a new manager. It may even come sooner if we win the Europa League.

Joy is also disrespectful to the greatest manager this club has seen. Relief or release I can understand, but not joy.

I'm sorry if you feel that way. I appreciate Arsenes achievements, at the top of his powers he was the best manager in England but he has stayed four years longer than he should have and tarnished his own reputation by doing that. I'm joyful also because he can't damage the memory of his achievements any longer with the mediocrity and inconsistencies of the last number of years!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

****e I'm not so sure about this now .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I imagine people have already seen this and it's probably been posted before but I like it so here it is:
    https://www.facebook.com/BBCMOTD/videos/10155747015220787/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ivan Gazidis to hold a press conference at 5pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Soups123 wrote: »

How can't you be sure? I'm confused. This is what's best for everyone involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I knew I’d feel desperately sad when he announced he’s leaving, but I’ve wanted it for 2 years so I’m happy at the same time. It’s a strange feeling but relieved we can now move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

You what now.....

• Advertisement

How can't you be sure? I'm confused. This is what's best for everyone involved.

Ha ha I was joking man relax. It's a great day a great day.

Now we get to see how much of the problem was him and how much is the yank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Separation anxiety.....it's natural enough.

It's great timing to be fair. Just before we play athletico. Now we can FULLY get behind the team, stop being divided and wish this great man the best sendoff a manager has ever gotten. An absolute legend.

I worry about the replacement.

It feels like Viera to me, Wenger talking him up yesterday ahead of announcement today. He just doesn't have the experience and it's not an appointment that I'd be happy with.

Sky need to stop with the Henry crap, it's not happening he's a pundit and **** at that, he's no more.

Interesting times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Don’t want any ex player unless they’re in as an assistant as part of succession planning.

omega man wrote: »
    Don’t want any ex player unless they’re in as an assistant as part of succession planning.

DiligentDisastrousEidolonhelvum-size_restricted.gif

Ah ignore it if you don't like it. It's years and years of pressure being relieved so yeah, I'm pretty ****ing delighted about it. We've the rest of the season to be classy, hell we've spent most of the last decade talking in the past tense about his achievements.
    He'll get his send-off, he'll get his statue, he deserves it. Cynically I think the announcement came to take the pressure off for the Europa so hopefully it works. Ultimately I'll end up missing him but right now I'm ****ing delighted. That'll change if Rodgers comes in though. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I'm overjoyed for the news that he's leaving. I won't be sheading any tears. I've wanted it since that mauling at Utd back in 2011. I won't write what I really feel on the man cause today is not the day for it. It's one of the biggest moments in this club's history and hopefully it will be making of us. We were a big club before he came and we will be when he leaves.

As for his replacements, I definitely don't want to see Eddie Howe or Brendan Rogers here, those are disaster's waiting to happen. Massively we make the right decision. Plenty of top coaches will want a shot at the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wasn't expecting this news.

I thought he'd stay another year.

Anyway i'm glad he has finally called it a day and wish him all the best for what he's done for the club but for the last number of years we have not been at the races under him. He should have gone five years ago at least.

I hope we get someone who can put passion back into the team as we have become very stale and have drifted downwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

This man lived for this club. He breathed Arsenal. He set records with this club, achieved feats and created one of the greatest rivalries in the sport. He was a revolutionary and changed the face of English football. Signed players who brought delight to supporters who at their best played a lovely silky style of football that was a joy to watch, Wengerball. He brought class and charm to the club. Yes he had his flaws but he always tried to do right, even during the tough times. Always stood by his players when others would of cut them loose. He didn't see them as assets. The club and the Premier League ( should he seek a role overseas) will be a poorer place without him, and I am sad to see he is leaving, even if things had gone sour in the last few years. He will forever be linked with Arsenal and remembered as one of the greats. I hope he finds joy and happiness in whatever role he goes for next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

How about Luis Enrique as manager?

Got Celta playing some very nice stuff on a limited budget. Did very well at Barca obviously.

No issues with language as he speaks fluent English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Spurs after Nicholson
    Leeds after Revie
    Forest after Clough
    United after Busby
    Liverpool after the Boot Room
    United after Ferguson

The list could go on and on. The departure of a big manager, the best in your club history, usually doesn't go well, certainly in England. The exception being the superrich clubs of the last few years.

Three hopes for the future. Arsenal after Chapman weren't too bad as his sudden departure didn't take from his legacy and the possibility that Wenger has already steered us through the fallow years keeping us close to the top and setting it up for the new man. The youth teams winning all round them this year is another hopeful sign.

We live in interesting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Legend gets overused, but he was one.

I hope they unveil a statue with this pose :D

Arsene_jesuspose_1492719i.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

No British managers (Rodgers, Howe, etc.) and no Henry and surely we cant go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It had to happen. I'm not expecting a glorious return to the top immediately though. Whoever steps in has a big job ahead of them clearing out the dead wood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Pressure is on those players now to grow a pair step up and win that man a Europa league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

This man lived for this club. He breathed Arsenal. He set records with this club, achieved feats and created one of the greatest rivalries in the sport. He was a revolutionary and changed the face of English football. Signed players who brought delight to supporters who at their best played a lovely silky style of football that was a joy to watch, Wengerball.  He brought class and charm to the club. Yes he had his flaws but he always tried to do right, even during the tough times. Always stood by his players when others would of cut them loose. He didn't see them as assets. The club  and the Premier League ( should he seek a role overseas) will be a poorer place without him, and I am sad to see he is leaving, even if things had gone sour in the last few years. He will forever be linked with Arsenal and remembered as one of the greats.  I hope he finds joy and happiness in whatever role he goes for next.
    Wrong. Pep is the one that has revolutionalised the league and has the best set of players ever graced in the League too(so the papers say)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

jester77 wrote: »
    Legend gets overused, but he was one.

I hope they unveil a statue with this pose :D

Arsene_jesuspose_1492719i.jpg

This is a great photo especially because all the united fans are laughing in the background too - usually in photos like this the opposition are giving the two fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

No British managers (Rodgers, Howe, etc.) and no Henry and surely we cant go wrong.

Viera and Ancelotti are just 2 ways you could go wrong.

The clearout in the summer will be glorious. There's 6 or 7 that need to be ****ed off immediately.

• Advertisement

Wrong. Pep is the one that has revolutionalised the league and has the best set of players ever graced in the League too(so the papers say)

Revolutionised it with a pile of cash, sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

givyjoe wrote: »
    Viera and Ancelotti are just 2 ways you could go wrong.

Wouldn't be my first choices but wouldn't be disappointed with either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

How do you think Pep would do if he took over and didn't have £300m to spend this summer?

How do you think Pep would do if he took over and didn't have £300m to spend this summer?

If pep was managing united this season they would have won the league. Their squad isn't much better than ours. I doubt our defenders would be able to pass from the back though. I recon if we had pep this season we would have 20 more points anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Wait, what happens if the new guy replacing Wenger isn't as good..........:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wait, what happens if the new guy replacing Wenger isn't as good..........:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

We'll finish seventh instead of sixth then. Much of a muchness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Gazidas presser about now, any news from that?

emmetlego wrote: »
    Gazidas presser about now, any news from that?

Naw nothing much really, more of a gushing tribute to Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I'm not old enough to remember any other manager at Arsenal other than Wenger, gonna be a strange feeling seeing somebody else at the helm of our club. Although he didn't achieve enough with us in the past 10 years the next man to come has big shoes to fill.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I'm not old enough to remember any other manager at Arsenal other than Wenger, gonna be a strange feeling seeing somebody else at the helm of our club. Although he didn't achieve enough with us in the past 10 years the next man to come has big shoes to fill.

Ah I remember when George Graham was sacked!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement