Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Soups123

I don't think either fit. A big part of the hiring process will be finding someone to ignite the club and unify it. Questionable signings like Benitez & Rogers will backfire too quickly if it doesn't start well.

The next signing needs to be a strong confident manager not one who doesn't feel the strength to push the board.

A Rogers signing says we are looking for a yes man to work within budget and not sure enough of himself to demand.

Allegri or someone of that ilk will come with demands for investment

There is no obvious choice but the eventual pick will tell us a lot about what the club want to achieve

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭omega man

I’m a fan of Rodgers despite some reservations. However I think we need a more defensive minded approach. I don’t mean park the bus but simply build from the back but with an attacking philosophy at our core in respect to everything Wenger believed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭omega man

Oh and yet another season without spurs silverware. How long will the media love in continue before they get the same treatment we got for so many years (even when winning FA cups)??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,663 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

omega man wrote: »
    I’m a fan of Rodgers despite some reservations. However I think we need a more defensive minded approach. I don’t mean park the bus but simply build from the back but with an attacking philosophy at our core in respect to everything Wenger believed in.

Defenders with cool heads not the type we have that are a bundle of nerves whenever the ball comes into our box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Was Rodgers a bit of a tool or is the Deluded Brendan Twitter page clouding my memory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Was Rodgers a bit of a tool or is the Deluded Brendan Twitter page clouding my memory?
    My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study and that’s been my biggest influence

The guy would be unlistenable.

L'prof wrote: »
    I'd just be worried that Rafa would crumble under the pressure and expectation like he did at Liverpool
    If we got 5 good years before that I'd be happy.
    In Rafa's defence, there was a civil war going on in the boardroom and no cash to spend. The club was in financial meltdown.

Against Rafa would be the fact that he tends to fall out with the owners in most clubs he manages. And his handling of the Xabi Alonso situation at the time was very poor.
    He tends to fall out with owners for good cause as far as I can tell.
    I'd be fine giving him a 2-year contract and expect top 4 in the first season (if we've no CL next season) followed by a good run in Europe.

If we got 5 good years before that I'd be happy.

He tends to fall out with owners for good cause as far as I can tell.
    I'd be fine giving him a 2-year contract and expect top 4 in the first season (if we've no CL next season) followed by a good run in Europe.

He also did poorly at European Champions Inter & Real Madrid. Doesn't just fall out with owners, was very unpopular in both dressing rooms too.

He also did poorly at European Champions Inter & Real Madrid. Doesn't just fall out with owners, was very unpopular in both dressing rooms too.
    Inter was very much a Mourinho team. Madrid expedted perfection from the start. I don't see him falling out with the players at Arsenal other than the ones who can go. :P Also he went into Chelsea where no-one wanted him and managed a Europa League win.
    As far as a steady hand who's been at the top level he'd be perfectly acceptable for me. Sort the defence in the first year (signing or two if necessary) and add some structure to midfield.

Inter was very much a Mourinho team. Madrid expedted perfection from the start. I don't see him falling out with the players at Arsenal other than the ones who can go. :P Also he went into Chelsea where no-one wanted him and managed a Europa League win.
    As far as a steady hand who's been at the top level he'd be perfectly acceptable for me. Sort the defence in the first year (signing or two if necessary) and add some structure to midfield.

Yep, he's definitely a decent coach. I just get the feeling he's starting to be left behind the same way Wenger was left behind 10 years ago or so.

That Inter team won the treble a month before he took over & the league 5 times in a row. By Christmas he had them down to 6th! Madrid can be impossible if the wrong people dislike you i agree.

I just think he's too cautious to ever get close to winning a league, especially with the likes of Pep's City around. And don't forget the last time he won a top league title was 2004, same as Arsene.

• Advertisement

Yep, he's definitely a decent coach. I just get the feeling he's starting to be left behind the same way Wenger was left behind 10 years ago or so.

That Inter team won the treble a month before he took over & the league 5 times in a row. By Christmas he had them down to 6th! Madrid can be impossible if the wrong people dislike you i agree.
    Have Inter done much since then? I think he timed it badly joining tbh.
    I just think he's too cautious to ever get close to winning a league, especially with the likes of Pep's City around. And don't forget the last time he won a top league title was 2004, same as Arsene.
    I'm happy for stability and improvement for next season. He can set a team up, he can get teams European silverware. His falling outs are generally for reasons that fans want. He's not perfect, I suppose there's an argument to be had if he's "elite" level but he's a safe pair of hands who knows how to win. He's not gonna drag us down the table and I think with a board backing him (in terms of what he wants rather than blowing money) he has another good run in him.

Have Inter done much since then? I think he timed it badly joining tbh.

They definitely had another title in them, finished up second but Benitez had lost too many points in the first half of the season. Juve took over after that.

I just think there's a severe bang of Louis van Gaal at United off him, if maybe to a sligtly lesser degree.

A safe choice is not going to close the gap on clubs that that can massively outspend you. You need someone who's slightly ahead of the curve like Wenger was when he came first.

They definitely had another title in them, finished up second but Benitez had lost too many points in the first half of the season. Juve took over after that.

I just think there's a severe bang of Louis van Gaal at United off him, if maybe to a sligtly lesser degree.

A safe choice is not going to close the gap on clubs that that can massively outspend you. You need someone who's slightly ahead of the curve like Wenger was when he came first.

We've more money than Spurs and Liverpool and Chelsea seem to be tightening a bit too.

We've more money than Spurs and Liverpool and Chelsea seem to be tightening a bit too.

I'd take Pochettino or Klopp in a heartbeat over Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I definitely be in the No camp when it comes to Brendan Rogers, Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche and Rafa for me. None of those names make a statement of intent , Rafa and Brendan might get you top 4 and the odd cup run but none of those names will bring you titles imo. Also any ex great player as a manager is a big NO as well, on the coaching staff no problem.

I'm all in for Allegri or Simeone, think we could have a chance with Allegri but I don't see Simeone leaving Atletico until they sack him. Julian Nagelsmann would be a risk but he's done a great job at Hoffenheim. Leonardo Jardim from Monaco is another good bet. Carlo Ancelotti wouldn't be totally against it, would be a short impact kind of manager rather then long term.

Also interested in what players do you see on the way out come the summer, I do expect a mini exodus of the squad. Chambers, Mustafi, Cech, Bellerin (he will want a move), Ramsey (wouldn't be surprised if he won't sign a contract), Welbeck and Wilshire. Our squad come the first game of the PL will definitely have a new feel to it.

Arsenal XI: Ospina, Bellerin, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal, Xhaka, Elneny, Iwobi, Ramsey, Welbeck, Lacazette.

Subs: Macey, Mertesacker, Holding, Chambers, Maitland-Niles, Nelson, Aubameyang

Not sure on Aubameyang on the bench tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

****ing Welbeck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd have thought Welbeck was out the door this summer, despite his mini resurgence. Will be interesting to see what the new manager does with him, might say a lot.

Thought Koscielny might have been rested for the game against Athletico

• Advertisement

Plenty of empty seats again today

I would fear what the likes of Griezmann and Costa will do to this defence.

Im not sure if I've ever seen a player as out of form as Mustafi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Raniere in the stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Not much of a tribute so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

How can Welbeck as a striker not be able to strike a ball cleanly and get it on target? What the fcuk does he do in training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Iwobi should be fined for impersonating a footballer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Iwobi can't do anything right.

That didn't look too good

Doesn't look good for Elneny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Elneny's season over? Bad news for Thursday

• Advertisement

Trying to walk it in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Looks a bad injury from El neny. Has to be stretched off.

If Welbeck made it as a professional footballer there's still hope of be becoming an airline pilot.

What an unbelievable dogsh1t player.

Get in, nice finish

La Cabra strikes again!

Nacho, great finish.

Edit: Off his shin

wtf effort of a cross was that

Oh jesus, that cross from Iwobi lol

If Welbeck made it as a professional footballer there's still hope of be becoming an airline pilot.

What an unbelievable dogsh1t player.

I see your Danny Welbeck and I raise you Alex Iwobi.

I see your Danny Welbeck and I raise you Alex Iwobi.

Check mate.

Am I doing it right?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Normal service has resumed.

Burnley equalized. Race for 6th is still on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The truth of the matter is this. Danny Welbeck, Alex Iwobi, Ainsley Maitland Niles, Skodran Mustafi, and Laurent Koscielny (in his current guise) should be nowhere near a side that is looking to challenge for a league title. These are mid table teams, and some of them not even that.

*sigh*

Finally, a bit of fire power

Iwobi off thank god. Awful.

Finally a shot from Welbeck

Lol, was it a shot or cross

• Advertisement