Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Joe Hart. Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Now, that was a proper strikers finish

I'm not sure what people have against Welbeck (today!), he's been fairly decent no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

That was nice

• Advertisement

Lads, what a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

AH feck it, I switched over to watch the Munster match after our 3rd goal.

Walked in 10 seconds before the third goal, bit of craic. :P

I'm liking Aubamayang.

The more I think of it the more I think Rafa would be a good fit. He's a 4-2-3-1 and even looking at the line-up today a signing for each of the 4, 2, and 3 we should be comfortably top 4 with him. It's not the most exciting potential appointment but it would be 2 years of stable progress and if all he did was set us up properly at the back and midfield he'd be leaving a solid base for the next guy.

Roll on Rodgers. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

omega man wrote: »
    Oh and yet another season without spurs silverware. How long will the media love in continue before they get the same treatment we got for so many years (even when winning FA cups)??

I don't mind this because it just shows that nobody really thinks they should be winning anything regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The more I think of it the more I think Rafa would be a good fit. He's a 4-2-3-1 and even looking at the line-up today a signing for each of the 4, 2, and 3 we should be comfortably top 4 with him. It's not the most exciting potential appointment but it would be 2 years of stable progress and if all he did was set us up properly at the back and midfield he'd be leaving a solid base for the next guy.

Whether it's Rafa or someone else, I hope people realise that what you've described above should be the goal in the short term. Arsenal will finish around 12 points off the top 4 this season, bridging that gap should be the immediate goal and then take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

So, Giroud and Sanchez head to head in the cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

As an outsider looking in I would love to see what Benitez would do for your club. He would have ye competing for sure but I think that might be a bit too much baggage there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

2 former Arsenal players will fight for the FA Cup
    Sanchez v Giroud. Don't like both teams but I'll be happy if Giroud wins it again.

Whether it's Rafa or someone else, I hope people realise that what you've described above should be the goal in the short term. Arsenal will finish around 12 points off the top 4 this season, bridging that gap should be the immediate goal and then take it from there.
    We have the squad for it. A front 4 including Ozil, Aubameyang and Lacazette is nothing to be sniffed at. Ramsey and Mkhitaryan should be enough to bolster it. Pretty much need a keeper, defender or two and a midfielder and we should be well up for top 4 with a decent manager.

Do you think a new manager will be able to get Ozil to turn up for every game instead of the turning up being invisible/being incredible/vanishing from the squad/being invisible/ being incredible etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Do you think a new manager will be able to get Ozil to turn up for every game instead of the turning up being invisible/being incredible/vanishing from the squad/being invisible/ being incredible etc?

*Replace Ozil with any other Arsenal player* ....same question for each from me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Wengers announcement, a good win today and Stoke edging closer to the drop, its been a decent few days.
    Oh and Spurs somehow continuing their semi final streak...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

wonga77 wrote: »
    Wengers announcement, a good win today and Stoke edging closer to the drop, its been a decent few days.
    Oh and Spurs somehow continuing their semi final streak...

This for me is exactly how me and my gang feel. Delighted Spurs spursed it, and with our win. Really feel Lacca and Auba will be a gunners legends with time. Love them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So, Giroud and Sanchez head to head in the cup final.

I know who I want to win and he's tall a grows a mean beard :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Ah lads,surely we can be aiming a bit higher than Brendan Rodgers or Rafa Benitez.
    Id rather Wenger stay on than appoint either of those two.

On the Giroud/Sanchez cup final...Oliie all day long.

New man in charge?...Id be over the moon with Allegri or Simeone,both would bring proper coaching and discipline to the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I think the main aim for the new manager is sort out the defence, get rid of some of the dead wood, Get Ramsey contract sorted, get Arsenal back into the top 4 and have a cup run in there. We have a good team there, our attacking side is fantastic, a few key signings in defence and get our tactics sorted and this side will be up there. Maybe not winning a title in it's first season but at least competing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I meant to post yesterday after seeing some of Wenger's after match press conference comments whining about the bad atmosphere because of complaining fans. Why couldn't he leave this issue be after he has announced his retirement from the club. He's like a young kid picking at a scab now trying to start up friction with the fanbase again when he should be just enjoying his last few games in charge.

gandalf wrote: »
    I meant to post yesterday after seeing some of Wenger's after match press conference comments whining about the bad atmosphere because of complaining fans. Why couldn't he leave this issue be after he has announced his retirement from the club. He's like a young kid picking at a scab now trying to start up friction with the fanbase again when he should be just enjoying his last few games in charge.

If he's asked about the atmosphere and he says it's grand he gets it in the neck for that, too.

Poor fella can't win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If he's asked about the atmosphere and he says it's grand he gets it in the neck for that, too.

Poor fella can't win.

He always wins in your eyes tho. :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/amylawrence71/status/988112957107208193

Read that thread, I don't really think it's "having a go".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I'm enjoying the idea of a new manager. Very exciting. Doing erm "research" on youtube :o

Fully expect Gazidis to be spamming the auld youtube while the search for a new boss continues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

I don’t believe it’s his choice though. I suspect he was pushed into this retirement and making it look like it’s his decision saves the club from further disruption. I’m sure he’ll drop subtle hints to this over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don’t believe it’s his choice though. I suspect he was pushed into this retirement and making it look like it’s his decision saves the club from further disruption. I’m sure he’ll drop subtle hints to this over the coming weeks.

Maybe he's saving himself the embarrassment as it does appear his choice was " jump or be pushed".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Loads of tickets available behind goal for the game against Atletico Madrid this Thursday

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/arsenal/EDP/Event/Index/2527

Too bad flights going there is pretty steep! >__<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Apparently Gazidis favours Arteta for the job, ffs.

I'm very much looking forward to Gazidis having to do his job without Arsene there to face the media over absolutely everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

While I do think it's time Wenger stepped aside it appears ye don't really have anyone lined up to replace him yet (going by the media) and I'd be concerned by that.

I'd be worried by talk of the likes of Arteta as I feel ye need a strong and experienced high level manager to replace Wenger.

I think of Moyes at United and everything was just too big for him. The hierarchy at United were far too complacent about Fergie's successor too.

Like United at that time, Arsenal have been run by one man for a long time and things may not be that well oiled for the new man. The board haven't had to make any important football decisions for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

And Raul Sanllehi favours Luis Enrique according to reports, not ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

And Raul Sanllehi favours Luis Enrique according to reports, not ideal.

I wouldn't hate that appointment, although it wouldn't be ideal.

My ideal scenario: if we want to go for a tried and tested, proven top class coach, go for Ancelotti. If we want to go with a young hungry coach, give Vieira a go.

I wouldn't hate that appointment, although it wouldn't be ideal.

My ideal scenario: if we want to go for a tried and tested, proven top class coach, go for Ancelotti. If we want to go with a young hungry coach, give Vieira a go.

Yep obviously Enrique did well at Barca but the struggles elsewhere would have me wary.

Likewise if it was a complete gamble on a former Arsenal player i'd go for Vieira.

Ideally one from Allegri, Sarri, Simeone or maybe Jardim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Ideally one from Allegri, Sarri, Simeone or maybe Jardim.

Exactly this. Any one of those will unite the fanbase. Others will divide opinion and will ultimately put pressure on the new man and the club if things start to go wrong.

Personally I think it’s exciting times but let Wenger have his deserved farewell over the next month. The timing was perfect imo.

Exactly this. Any one of those will unite the fanbase.

100% agree.

Don't be bringing in inexperienced ex players to handle this mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I reckon we'll get a surprise. Someone nobody knows a lot about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Once we get somebody to take control of the dressing room and get them all playing and most importantly how to defend.

Ah lads,surely we can be aiming a bit higher than Brendan Rodgers or Rafa Benitez...

Rafa Benitez has been getting clubs into exactly the position where you'd expect them to be or slightly underperforming for a few jobs now, Chelsea in top 4, Napoli in top 3, Newcastle down (in fairness he didn't get much time), back up and mid table after a late season rally, Real 2nd/3rd best in Spain.

He'd be exactly the man to ensure Arsenal finish 5th...maybe 4th.

• Advertisement

Wenger v Ferguson documentary on channel 5 at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

So Italy approached Ancelotti for the Italian Job, wonder if that means Allegri was unavailable, if you know what I mean...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

BenK wrote: »
    While I do think it's time Wenger stepped aside it appears ye don't really have anyone lined up to replace him yet (going by the media) and I'd be concerned by that.

I'd be worried by talk of the likes of Arteta as I feel ye need a strong and experienced high level manager to replace Wenger.

I think of Moyes at United and everything was just too big for him. The hierarchy at United were far too complacent about Fergie's successor too.

Like United at that time, Arsenal have been run by one man for a long time and things may not be that well oiled for the new man. The board haven't had to make any important football decisions for a long time.

Gazidis has stated that the new appointment won't be a replacement for Wenger, the club will have to find a new path. They have already been working towards this with a plethora of new appointments behind the scenes. Experienced, successful guys carrying out functions that used to be Wenger's domain.

The club is putting a lot of thought into this, it is doing all it can to avoid what happened to United post Ferguson (and post Busby come to that).

No guarantees but I'm confident the club will end up appointing the right guy even if it's not my first choice or ends up being completely left field.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Leaving aside length of tenure the situation isn't really all that comparable to United's post Ferguson suffering considering the slide has already happened before Wenger leaves. The club are already at the "**** this we need Mourinho" stage I would hope (figuratively not literally :P).

greendom wrote: »
    Gazidis has stated that the new appointment won't be a replacement for Wenger, the club will have to find a new path. They have already been working towards this with a plethora of new appointments behind the scenes. Experienced, successful guys carrying out functions that used to be Wenger's domain.

The club is putting a lot of thought into this, it is doing all it can to avoid what happened to United post Ferguson (and post Busby come to that).

No guarantees but I'm confident the club will end up appointing the right guy even if it's not my first choice or ends up being completely left field.

I have to say i'm not too confident that they will, it's not like they have a track record of making excellent football decisions.

The reason they were forced to give Arsene a new 2 year deal last year was because they were absolutely in no position not to as they had nobody lined up.

And if it's true that there is only £50m to spend in the summer if they give it to the wrong guy we might not see Champions League football for a few years at least.

I have to say i'm not too confident that they will, it's not like they have a track record of making excellent football decisions.

The reason they were forced to give Arsene a new 2 year deal last year was because they were absolutely in no position not to as they had nobody lined up.

And if it's true that there is only £50m to spend in the summer if they give it to the wrong guy we might not see Champions League football for a few years at least.

Where'd that 50 mil figure come from?

If that's true, and they don't seem to have a clear idea of who they want as manager...

We'll wait and see. But that doesn't sound great.

Where'd that 50 mil figure come from?

If that's true, and they don't seem to have a clear idea of who they want as manager...

We'll wait and see. But that doesn't sound great.

Was quoted in a few of the rags yesterday so hopefully it's just bull****, can't totally rule it out with Stan though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Was quoted in a few of the rags yesterday so hopefully it's just bull****, can't totally rule it out with Stan though.

Our league position and Europa league campaign alone would give us more than £50M profit this year, so I'd really doubt the sincerity of that figure

can't totally rule it out with Stan though.

Indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Leaving aside length of tenure the situation isn't really all that comparable to United's post Ferguson suffering considering the slide has already happened before Wenger leaves. The club are already at the "**** this we need Mourinho" stage I would hope (figuratively not literally :P).

Good point - still taking over a club when the predecessor has had such a long tenure is a big ask. The club is doing all it can to minimise this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement