Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Under 18s just lost 9-0 to Spurs ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

At the risk of getting roasted I'm just gonna say it - I'd love Arsenal to play the way Liverpool play. Jesus H Christ the sheer pace and skill.

Wenger used to have a great eye for a player - how did he not spot anything in Mo Salah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Roma are a load of rubbish tonight.

I can't honestly believe The Pool got these in the f*ckin Champion's League and we got Athletico in the Europa League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Roma should never have started with 3 at the back tonight either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Roma are a load of rubbish tonight.

I can't honestly believe The Pool got these in the f*ckin Champion's League and we got Athletico in the Europa League.

Ah knew there was a reason Roma got late goals. The arsenal thread reverse jinx!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Ugh, I remember getting roasted in here last year when i suggested we should have gone for Klopp when he was available.
    Wrong. Many of us wanted Klopp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I felt like I was on my own at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I felt like I was on my own at the time.

Loads of fans were still behind Wenger up to Christmas.

Loads of fans were still behind Wenger up to Christmas.

Yeah I'm mostly talking about two years ago when Klopp was available and I was moaning about wenger this time last year when Klopp and Liverpool weren't doing that great...

Anyway! Lets hope we can get someone as good as him for August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

na many here wanted wenger gone. and also would have fancied Klopp.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/989116103396876289

Like most of us guessed, Wenger has now clarified that his resignation wasn't really his decision.

IF we're going to take a risk and go with an unproven big club manager like Vieira etc. then why not take a risk with Eddie Howe? Young, ambitious, attacking mindset and premier league credentials. Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So he was basically sacked then , They are gas lads making him resign then dressing it up as the opposite , Don't really care either way as the right thing was done but very underhandedly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So he was basically sacked then , They are gas lads making him resign then dressing it up as the opposite , Don't really care either way as the right thing was done but very underhandedly

Don't think it was underhanded at all. After 22 years he deserved a respectful ending and that is what was given.

How so? Should they have announced he’s sacked at the end of the season or let him finish out his contract?

I think they handled it well. It meant Wenger could leave with dignity but now he can’t help himself it seems!

Well yeah that's sort of what I mean , They gave him a good way of bowing out , He went along and then he comes out saying it was not his choice (the timing anyway) , It's just comes off bitter by Wenger and like he's trying to show them up as being underhanded

Anyway as I said I've had enough of him the last few years anyway and the although the timing is not ideal (he should have went a few years ago) I'm happy its finally happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well yeah that's sort of what I mean , They gave him a good way of bowing out , He went along and then he comes out saying it was not his choice (the timing anyway) , It's just comes off bitter by Wenger and like he's trying to show them up as being underhanded

Anyway as I said I've had enough of him the last few years anyway and the although the timing is not ideal (he should have went a few years ago) I'm happy its finally happened

They gave him an out but he just doesn't want to let go of the reins.

na many here wanted wenger gone. and also would have fancied Klopp.

Sorry now, thats BS. When Liverpool weren't doing great last year I said it and it went down like a lead baloon in here. You could see even then what he was trying to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Sorry now, thats BS. When Liverpool weren't doing great last year I said it and it went down like a lead baloon in here. You could see even then what he was trying to do.

Yourr correct, I remember when Liverpool were struggling and there were a good few laughing at those who suggested we should have got Klopp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

wonga77 wrote: »
    Yourr correct, I remember when Liverpool were struggling and there were a good few laughing at those who suggested we should have got Klopp

That's just the way of the football supporting world though. People are very much about recent performance and can choose to ignore what came before or what might come in the near future. If Liverpool end up going out against Roma then there will be a large number of people saying Klop is sh!te and this proves it, even though he has shown with a consistent level that he has what it takes.

Oxlade-Chamberlain had a couple of crap games for Liverpool when he first went there and plenty here wrote him off for that.

Guardiola became crap when he lost to Liverpool and Man U.

Basically as a football supporter we become emotional about what's happening in the present and it can be difficult to have a long-term view of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

So what chance do people think that they have of reaching the final?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Did he not mean the timing of the announcement wasn’t his choice?

That’s what I picked up from his comments.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/989218703551188992

So they've clarified his comments now. A behind the scenes rap on the knuckles is the more likely cause, in my opinion. Can't wait until he writes his tell all book about all this, as much as I want him to move on, I do think he'll come out of this looking better than Ivan & Co.

Definitely told to backtrack there has to be

How come I understood exactly what he meant?

People just hearing what they want to for some drama.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/989218703551188992

So they've clarified his comments now. A behind the scenes rap on the knuckles is the more likely cause, in my opinion. Can't wait until he writes his tell all book about all this, as much as I want him to move on, I do think he'll come out of this looking better than Ivan & Co.

Couldn't really care. One's as bad as the other and the club is suffering as a result. "he said, she said" is not going to sort out the mess.

No auba or miki tonight leaves us very bare attacking wise.

L'prof wrote: »

I don't think its too much of a stretch to say that Atletico are the strongest team left in both European competitions, based on our recent defensive displays I'm not holding out much hope for tonight and even less for qualification next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Not an Arsenal fan but will be cheering yas on tonight and hopefully also in the final.

Would love to see Wenger bow out with the europa league trophy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Atletico definitely are favourites for sure, if they play to their best abilities they win this quite easily imo. Our defence is shocking and even if they play good their is always a mistake with Mustafi in there and neither of our GK's fill me with confidence. Let's hope our best chances don't fall to Welbeck either. But with Ramsey, Ozil and Laca we will have players that will hurt them.

Important we don't concede in the first leg or find ourselves out of it before the 2nd leg, We can beat them they aren't unbeatable their recent form and CL's early exit show us that. The home leg doesn't worry me as much as the 2nd leg as we're dreadful away.

My heart says Arsenal. But my head says Atletico will win this quite easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I am looking forward to the game tonight more than any game in a long time I must say. Its nice to be excited for a game again, even if I am doubtful that we will "turn up"

Welbeck never inspires me at all -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ll92cXxOA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Unless we can pull a top class performance from somewhere I simply cant see this team putting it up to Atletico. Only chance being they may play it tight in the first leg what with it being a semi final & Costa being out. But realistically cant see how we can go through, they're simply a better team & definitely a more cohesive unit.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I am looking forward to the game tonight more than any game in a long time I must say. Its nice to be excited for a game again, even if I am doubtful that we will "turn up"

Yes, a very funny feeling in the house this morning. All of us looking forward to the game, with some expectation. Of course, we all know how this ends. Anytime we expect something big from this team, they fall flat. My better half said as much as he was leaving for work, about not letting the kids get their hopes up too much.

I personally can't wait for the game in the hope that they do their professional and emotional best to give Arsene a decent send off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Is the game tonight on Irish TV at all? None of the other games have been on TV3 or any of their other channels.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Anytime we expect something big from this team, they fall flat.

Did you miss all those cup finals over the past few years? Until the recent City one, we won all of them.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Is the game tonight on Irish TV at all? None of the other games have been on TV3 or any of their other channels.

Don't think so. TV3 were advertising that they have the final the other day. I presume if they had this, they would have mentioned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

greendom wrote: »
    I don't think its too much of a stretch to say that Atletico are the strongest team left in both European competitions, based on our recent defensive displays I'm not holding out much hope for tonight and even less for qualification next week.

Unfortunately I agree but if they somehow manage it then I have a ticket to his last game

DvB wrote: »
    Unless we can pull a top class performance from somewhere I simply cant see this team putting it up to Atletico. Only chance being they may play it tight in the first leg what with it being a semi final & Costa being out. But realistically cant see how we can go through, they're simply a better team & definitely a more cohesive unit.

Costa is fit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Costa is fit again.

Named in the 20 man squad that travelled, but not necessarily in the match day 18. We'll know fairly soon!

• Advertisement

Named in the 20 man squad that travelled, but not necessarily in the match day 18. We'll know fairly soon!

Heard on the radio he’s starting but will find out for sure soon.

Not too worried if he plays or not, He didn't cost us too much trouble at 3-0 win over Chelsea last season at home or the Fa Cup final. I think Griezmann is the dangerman.

DvB wrote: »

Strangers things have happened. I'd take a boring 0-0 now, at least we have a chance to nick a away goal out there and they aren't the most free scoring sides. I can see us winning at the Emirates, it's away tie that worries me.

Atletico struggled in the 2nd leg in Lisbon last round, and they haven't had the best time in the last week or two. Their defence is strong but isn't getting any younger. So with a bit of luck, we might be able to pull it off. Whoever wins this Semi wins the EL for me, no disrespect to Marseille or Salzburg.

My biggest worry is Mustafi in that back line, he always has a mistake in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Athletico are unbeaten and have conceded just 4 goals in their 17 home games in La Liga this year. We really need to be getting something tonight

Unfortunately I agree but if they somehow manage it then I have a ticket to his last game

Going spare ?:D

Looper007 wrote: »
    Strangers things have happened. I'd take a boring 0-0 now, at least we have a chance to nick a away goal out there and they aren't the most free scoring sides. I can see us winning at the Emirates, it's away tie that worries me.

Atletico struggled in the 2nd leg in Lisbon last round, and they haven't had the best time in the last week or two. Their defence is strong but isn't getting any younger. So with a bit of luck, we might be able to pull it off. Whoever wins this Semi wins the EL for me, no disrespect to Marseille or Salzburg.

My biggest worry is Mustafi in that back line, he always has a mistake in him.

My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking 0 - 0 tonight and a 1- 0 loss in their new stadium. That does leave the hope that we could snatch a goal and go through on the away goals. Clinging onto that at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

5-0 tonight, with a Welbeck hat-trick, and I'll settle for 4-0 away. Ramsey getting a brace.

COYG

I fully expect to lose both legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

I have a feeling we will disappoint tonight.

Just a niggly feeling that we will choke again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I don't think it's choking when you lose to a team that are you better than you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Athletico will be too good over two legs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement