Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

1185186187188189191»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

pudzey101 wrote: »
    as bad as everyone wants wenger out you cant deny what he done for us ( in earlier years) henry , pires , vieira the invincibles etc :) i supported them in in 96 when i was 7 and hes the only manager i know :) it will be a sad when he departs , but it is whats best :) if we can turn this second leg around we will be all #WENGERIN :)

No we won't. Wenger is well past his best.

Mustafi needs new boots to show he can stand up properly and then be shown the door. Koscielny needs to sort out whatever the **** is wrong with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Lads, don't be stressing:

"Arsenal have won more away matches in European competition (4 of 6) than they have in all domestic competitions this season (3 of 18)."

I believe Atletico have only conceded 4 goals at home this season. Damn stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

omega man wrote: »
    I believe Atletico have only conceded 4 goals at home this season. Damn stats

Welbz, man. Don't worry.

Sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Arsene's last European game at the Emirates and its such a classic Wenger display its almost hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

greendom wrote: »
    Going spare ?:D

I’d drive to your abode and pay you the price of it to take this misery from me. Started off so hopeful but so depressed again now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

sonic85 wrote: »
    Because there was 3 of them there! There's no way Griezmann should be getting anywhere near the goal from a position like that. If it was any competent defensive team he would've just been crowded out of it but Arsenal do things differently don't they. You defend as a unit - watch the replays Monreal and Mustafi didn't bother their bollix until they realised Kos was in a spot of bother but by then it was too late. You always expect the worst and the lot of them just switched off. If you want to just blame Kos that's fine but until the team as a whole take responsibility for defensive duties then we'll continue to be served up **** like that

Liverpool fan here, and was just saying to my Arsenal mate tonight -

If Klopp - or indeed any other manager - was managing Arsenal tonight, he would have been barking at the back three to get closer together. Monreal and Mustafi were so wide it was ridiculous, leaving Koscielny (sp?) isolated against Griezmann. That's one of the problems with Wenger - he's too detached from the players.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Tayto and Tipp Gunner's heads are exploding right about now...

:D

About time something was done about the farce and finally the board grew a pair and sent him packing.

Tonight rubber stamped what a joke club we are. Competitiveness was sacrificed at the altar for a so called 'philosophy' for over 12 years now.

Ardent wrote: »
    That's one of the problems with Wenger - he's too detached from the players reality.

FYP

• Advertisement

as bad as everyone wants wenger out you cant deny what he done for us ( in earlier years) henry , pires , vieira the invincibles etc :) i supported them in in 96 when i was 7 and hes the only manager i know :) it will be a sad when he departs , but it is whats best :)if we can turn this second leg around we will be all #WENGERIN :)

If we won the second leg 10-0 i still wouldnt be Wenger in. I want him gone asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

He'll be back for the final lads no worries

https://twitter.com/charles_watts/status/989551760585953280

wonga77 wrote: »
    He'll be back for the final lads no worries

https://twitter.com/charles_watts/status/989551760585953280

A man of true courage to come back from what he has. He could have well easily have been an amputee at this stage. All went títs up when Santi got injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Best atmosphere all season tonight.
    It really was rocking.

Felt like a loss rather than a draw.
    Gutted given the possession and chances.

No subs from Wenger?
    We don't have a chance in Madrid.

Gutted. If Abumayeng could have played we'd have won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

as bad as everyone wants wenger out you cant deny what he done for us ( in earlier years) henry , pires , vieira the invincibles etc :) i supported them in in 96 when i was 7 and hes the only manager i know :) it will be a sad when he departs , but it is whats best :) if we can turn this second leg around we will be all #WENGERIN :)

Can you give me some of your drugs, they sound awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

If they can’t turn this tie around it just typifies Arsene’s legacy. Good, but never good enough. Always lacking in Europe and despite dominating in individual seasons he could never back that up with back to back league titles. The only competition he can be truly happy with is the FA Cup and he’s even left a couple of them behind him. It just makes me think what could have been. A couple of UEFA Cups, a couple more leagues and FA Cups, a few League Cups, a couple of Champions Leagues too. None of this is fanciful either. They were well within his grasp, he was just too nice. Never ruthless enough. Still Arsenal’s greatest manager ever but he could have done so much more. In his first 10 years I would have argued that him and Ferguson were peers but he’s nowhere near :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Absolutely gutted about last night, was a real dagger to the heart moment when Griezman (spelling) scored that goal with that stupid celebration. Our defence is ****ing garbage, always has an individual error in it and Koscielny was the man of the moment this time. They had one job and couldn’t do it.
    1-0 would have been an ok result, but 1-1 in those circumstances could be a disaster.

Just have to have faith that our attack will be more clinical next week, an away goal will swing the tie in our favour. Unfortunately that Koscielny error though, typically will be the moment that will cost us, you just know it. Typical Wenger/Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Guttless performance from arsenal. They should all go with wenger at the end of the season!

In fairness, Athletico are obviously a bigger and better club. They've won this tournament twice, reached 2 recent CL finals, lie second in La Liga...not sure why the meltdown at not beating them...

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

In fairness, Athletico are obviously a bigger and better club. They've won this tournament twice, reached 2 recent CL finals, lie second in La Liga...not sure why the meltdown at not beating them...
    Because they had 10 men for 80 minutes?

Athletico have shown in the past that they don't fall apart after after a red card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Guttless performance from arsenal. They should all go with wenger at the end of the season!
    Gutless? Really didn't see that. Team played well with verve and vigour. Apart from the all too predictable defensive howler it was a great team performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Because we were offered a headstart in the tie, and we threw it away. Before the game no one expected us to beat them, but we did. We beat them. We had it wrapped up, nicely before the second leg. Score one away they'd have to score three. What an opportunity.

Then Koscielny... :(

Quazzie wrote: »
    Because we were offered a headstart in the tie, and we threw it away. Before the game no one expected us to beat them, but we did. We beat them. We had it wrapped up, nicely before the second leg. Score one away they'd have to score three. What an opportunity.

Then Koscielny... :(

Oh and getting annoyed about a mistake is understandable, especially where it throws away an advantage. But the whole "spineless, gutless, sell them all, sack Wenger today" stuff seems ott. Like...it was Athletico, not Torquay United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Oh and getting annoyed about a mistake is understandable, especially where it throws away an advantage. But the whole "spineless, gutless, sell them all, sack Wenger today" stuff seems ott. Like...it was Athletico, not Torquay United.

No. All that talk is because we've all been here before. We see this more often than any of us would like to. We see it every second week at the moment, and it's been going on for years. As was posted earlier, Wenger's Arsenal career is as well documented by how close he came to winning as by what he actually won. Yet again, for what feels like the umpteenth time, we came so close to success and we threw it away, and it's down to the team, the players as individuals, but in my opinion, more so by Wenger. His failure to lead, failure to prepare, failure to adapt has done us tonight. We're all (mostly) in the Wengerout camp in here, so it doesn't take a lot to turn us when we see Koscielny having a groundhog day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Quazzie wrote: »
    No. All that talk is because we've all been here before. We see this more often than any of us would like to. We see it every second week at the moment, and it's been going on for years. As was posted earlier, Wenger's Arsenal career is as well documented by how close he came to winning as by what he actually won. Yet again, for what feels like the umpteenth time, we came so close to success and we threw it away, and it's down to the team, the players as individuals, but in my opinion, more so by Wenger. His failure to lead, failure to prepare, failure to adapt has done us tonight. We're all (mostly) in the Wengerout camp in here, so it doesn't take a lot to turn us when we see Koscielny having a groundhog day.

Great post, the familiarity of last night and the realisation that it won’t change, has ultimately cost Wenger his job. I won’t give up as I believe that we will score next week, but any half decent team is capable of scoring against that Arsenal defense. So will take some miracle next week to get through, relying on Koscielny and Mustafi, not to **** up at least once in the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

One of the reasons that I'm dying for a new manager is to feel something for Arsenal again. We just drew a vital game that we should have won, and all I can do is roll my eyes and say "typical." Even if we won that, I wouldn't have been ecstatic, I would have just been slightly happier, while waiting for the other show to drop.

I can't wait for that new manager, for any kind of change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

too many missed chances only to be outdone by 1 mistake by our defence. We are going to have chances next week but the problem is would we be clinical enough to score.

Mkhitaryan hopefully is available next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Reflecting on last night's game when we got the draw I thought we haven't a hope. From the get go we really went at athletico. Even if they had 11 I think we would at least have drawn with them. At long last Lacazette was getting decent ball and showed what he can do. Brilliantly taken header. For all my criticism of him I thought wellbeck had a good game. He's not going to run pass too many players but he hit some great crosses. Yeah poor goal to let in. Same old defensive frailties. Look it's 1-1 but I can see it being the same score line next week and going to extra time. They are weak in the air defensively and I'm still adamant that we shouldn't have sold giroud because it was the perfect game for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

It will never happen but what i wouldnt give to have Simeone as manager. Someone who sets a team up like that and that fight for each other. The fact that he is crazy and would wind everyother team up would be a bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement