Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Basil3 wrote: »
    f9zsNjU.png

I wonder when we last had that number of shots on goal against United.

How can the defeat be Wenger’s fault looking at those stats???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

x PyRo wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/MessiMinutes/status/937040383342768129

Sums up my feelings. Bar the (usual) idiotic mistakes, there was some unreal stuff in that performance. Just one of those weird, weird, weird days - plus De Gea is a wizard.

Helps him when our players are smacking the ball straight at him from 3 yards

Fcuking Spanish Fax machine

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Helps him when our players are smacking the ball straight at him from 3 yards

Some of his reactions were immense - to say they shot straight at him is unfair

Basil3 wrote: »
    What specifically did Wenger himself do wrong in this one, as opposed to the Spurs match? What things did he change, causing the different result?

Looking forward to the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Yes we deserved far more and played great at times and right now I hate to be the negative one but we just lost 1-3 at home. Yet another defeat to a top 4 team. Can’t see the positives I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I don’t blame Wenger or the majority of the players for that loss. Koscielny and Mustafi cost us that game and let their team mates down badly. Koscielny had a stinker tonight. Overall was an excellent performance, but gift two goals and you don’t deserve anything. League is out of reach and probably was before tonight.

At the end of the season Wenger should retire/leave. Alexis and Ozil will leave. So with the addition of that Dortmund scout and Barcelona sporting director coming in, now is the perfect time for a rebuild. Fresh new players, new manager is exactly what this club needs now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

snowflaker wrote: »
    How can the defeat be Wenger’s fault looking at those stats???

They started the game slow, which we have done many many times before, and he has never addressed that issue.

Welcome back BTW. Hasn't been the same without you

• Advertisement

Sanchez was appallingly bad tonight tbf but those putting defeat down to defensive blips are over simplifying it. The lapses are symptomatic of the lax and carefree culture within the club especially in defence. The defence has been unorganised for a long long time now and exposed in many big games. The amount of space united had to run into was criminal at times. Both full backs missing. No one bothering to press

Sanchez was appallingly bad tonight tbf but those putting defeat down to defensive blips are over simplifying it. The lapses are symptomatic of the lax and carefree culture within the club especially in defence. The defence has been unorganised for a long long time now and exposed in many big games. The amount of space united had to run into was criminal at times. Both full backs missing. No one bothering to press

Sanchez has been brutal the last month, constant bad decisions and losing the ball

Quazzie wrote: »
    They started the game slow, which we have done many many times before, and he has never addressed that issue.

Welcome back BTW. Hasn't been the same without you

In what way can he change the slow start today? 2 absolute **** mistakes by both centre halves and somehow that's wengers fault?
    Kos playing a ball across his own box and mustafi taking 45 touches before losing the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Apparently Mustafi tore a muscle in his left leg, that's why he turned onto his right when he lost the ball. Should have just booted it out of play, but there is some excuse for that one of that's true. Kos was brain dead a few times tonight, as was Bellerin and Kolasinac. But all in all, I really think we can just put that down as one of those games. All things being equal we should have won that 6-3!

Oh and Pogba. What a trampish tackle that was. Could have smashed his knee cap. DeGea is by far the best goalkeeper in the world right now. He was just fantastic.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Apparently Mustafi tore a muscle in his left leg, that's why he turned onto his right when he lost the ball. Should have just booted it out of play, but there is some excuse for that one of that's true. Kos was brain dead a few times tonight, as was Bellerin and Kolasinac. But all in all, I really think we can just put that down as one of those games. All things being equal we should have won that 6-3!

Oh and Pogba. What a trampish tackle that was. Could have smashed his knee cap. DeGea is by far the best goalkeeper in the world right now. He was just fantastic.

We were unlucky not to score that i give you and we arguably could have had two penalties. Rojo in the first half was hanging out of lacazette and the foul on Welbeck was a stonewaller in the second.

overall though, I just couldnt bring myself to decide that it was just one of those games. I just got an overwhelming sense of deja vu with those three sucker punch goals and the common denominator is one Arsene Wenger.

emmetlego wrote: »

I think he tore that muscle trying to take lukaku down after he lost the ball if you watch it again

We were unlucky not to score that i give you and we arguably could have had two penalties. Rojo in the first half was hanging out of lacazette and the foul on Welbeck was a stonewaller in the second.

overall though, I just couldnt bring myself to decide that it was just one of those games. I just got an overwhelming sense of deja vu with those three sucker punch goals and the common denominator is one Arsene Wenger.

Not having that it's wengers fault you can't mitigate for players acting like they've never been on a pitch before, and I know they're wengers players yada yada, but they are both internationals and kniw better than to be making the stupid mistakes they made

There's nothing worse. Watched THAT CL game with 7 United supporters....
    Ugh, don't want to think about it any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

https://archive.org/details/BPZONEEpisode5

Heres my podcast , thrown together because the 1st one I did got ****ing deleted definitley one of those days :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭rodders999

During the game I commented that Sanchez's passing stats must be absolutely horrific as he pissed away possession time and time again but still shocked to have just read that he gave away the ball 34 times tonight - abysmal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

rodders999 wrote: »
    During the game I commented that Sanchez's passing stats must be absolutely horrific as he pissed away possession time and time again but still shocked to have just read that he gave away the ball 34 times tonight - abysmal.

Not good enough.

Wondering if someone would do better in his position but then again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭rodders999

The defensive brain farts are happening every single game, the thing is we were punished for them tonight.

Against Huddersfield in midweek the same thing was going on, suicidal passes at the back and kamakazi keystone cops defending. They just didn't have the quality to punish us.

There's no leader back there so when someone plays an insane pass that puts us in serious danger nobody bats an eyelid or gives a rollicking. It's just a shrug of the shoulders and we wait for the next bit of calamity play to come along.

For me, the time we are most likely to concede during a game, is when we are in possession of the ball in the defensive third - truly our own worst enemy at times.

• Defensive lapses aside I wouldn't get too beat up of the loss.
    I thought we were lethal on the counter and have been most of this season.
    But tbf to Arsenal Yee played some good football today and only for some world class saves it could have been a different game.
    Utd overall were deserved winners but it shouldn't be all doom and gloom for Arsenal.

As a side note: What I still find amazing is that arsenal haven't sorted out ozils contract yet (madness)
    The Utd fan in me hopes he joins us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    D
    The Utd fan in me hopes he joins us
    So, eh, you.

:pac:

• So, eh, you.

:pac:

It's late, I'm tired :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

https://archive.org/details/BPZONEEpisode5

Heres my podcast , thrown together because the 1st one I did got ****ing deleted definitley one of those days :(

Ah bollocks, wanted to hear the two sides of it. Yer man is a good guest, I'm sure you'll have him again.

Gonna give it a listen now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

"I wouldn't pass to Ramsey if I was Alexis either"

:D:D:D

Don't agree at all, but made me laugh.

Alexis more likely to lose the ball than ever pass it tbf

And if I’m to criticise AW for one thing it’s keeping the Chilean in the starting 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Last season he scored 30 goals in 51 games. This season he has 5 in 13. For me he simply doesn’t want to be there and I’m bitterly disappointed that Wenger is going to try and keep him for the rest of the season. Even last season when he was very good he still gave the ball away so much. I find it hard to judge whether the benefits outway the drawbacks. Certainly not this season anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

L'prof wrote: »
    Last season he scored 30 goals in 51 games. This season he has 5 in 13. For me he simply doesn’t want to be there and I’m bitterly disappointed that Wenger is going to try and keep him for the rest of the season. Even last season when he was very good he still gave the ball away so much. I find it hard to judge whether the benefits outway the drawbacks. Certainly not this season anyway

I cant fathom how such a talented player cant complete a simple 5 yard pass.

Its baffling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

So, any arguments against Ramsey being our best player this season? Contract gone the summer after next. Will need to offer big money now or risk losing him to Spain/Manchester clubs.

So, any arguments against Ramsey being our best player this season? Contract gone the summer after next. Will need to offer big money now or risk losing him to Spain/Manchester clubs.

Best player this season? Have you watched many games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Best player this season? Have you watched many games?

Who has been definitively better? Ozil was shocking first half of the season. Lacazette went through a patchy spell. 3 Goals and 6 Assists in 13 appearances from midfield is pretty good for Ramsey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Just looked at the game again.

Arsenal took alot of shots from outside the box. Is this normal for Arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,511 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Finally saw a repeat of yesterday's match there and what a great game. We made mistakes but it was 50/50 who won after that, we were great at times but their keeper was just unreal. Mustafis mistake was understandable.. kos was brutal though.

Denied a stone wall pen too. I'm not even as despondent after that.

Just looked at the game again.

Arsenal took alot of shots from outside the box. Is this normal for Arsenal?

They took a lot of shots. I don't know that the percentage from outside the box was particularly high. Didn't notice it at the time, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Who has been definitively better? Ozil was shocking first half of the season. Lacazette went through a patchy spell. 3 Goals and 6 Assists in 13 appearances from midfield is pretty good for Ramsey.

Ramsey's had has many bad performances as Ozil this season. He runs around more yeah but sometimes he thinks he's a striker, which leaves Xhaka as the only midfielder. Which we all know isn't going to end well.

Brilliant last few games from him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yesterday summed up what i've being saying for years i.e. we have some brilliant players but a very fragile defence. None of our defenders are strong enough in a tussle against top players and none of them is a leader. When playing against lesser teams we can hide our shortcomings but the good teams find us out. Pogba made Kos look like a little boy the way he brushed him aside for the 3rd goal and Mustafi seem too slow and then panicked when he gave a poor pass to Kolasinac. Every simple mistake was punished.

We played very well in the main yesterday and should have at least got a draw but the brilliance of an excellent keeper and the defensive failings cost us.

I'm not too despondent but again we need to fix the defence.

It’s not that fragile we have a very reasonable Goals conceded ratio.

There was nothing reasonable about the way Pogba walked around Kos yesterday. He was fragile.

• Advertisement

There was plenty of opportunity to close United down after the errors from Kosc and Mustafi but at no point did they get close or track the runners. Lingard all on his own despite there being just two United players in the Arsenal box. Yes, individual errors but no one picked up the slack to rectify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

19 goals against in 15 games isn’t great tbh. The two Manchester clubs have conceded 9 and Chelsea 12. Its clear that defensively we are very poor against the big teams. Conceded 3 to both Manchester clubs and 4 against Liverpool already this season.

There was plenty of opportunity to close United down after the errors from Kosc and Mustafi but at no point did they get close or track the runners. Lingard all on his own despite there being just two United players in the Arsenal box. Yes, individual errors but no one picked up the slack to rectify it.

Xhaka knew Lingard was there, I guess he just hoped he was getting into the right spot, rather than just watching where Lingard was going.

Yes and look at the way Kolasinac walked back after he was beaten for that stupid ball. He just gave up. He could have made some effort even a futile one.

One of those "assists" was when he totally miscontrolled in front of goal yesterday and Lacazette spared his blushes. As said before he can pull off a nice flick here and there, but for the most part he leaves a lot of space behind him in midfield.

Yes and look at the way Kolasinac walked back after he was beaten for that stupid ball. He just gave up. He could have made some effort even a futile one.

Id have the greatest of time for Kolas but id 100% agree with you here. He could have done far more. That said though i felt there was still enough in our area to deal effectively with that stray pass.

19 goals against in 15 games isn’t great tbh. The two Manchester clubs have conceded 9 and Chelsea 12. Its clear that defensively we are very poor against the big teams. Conceded 3 to both Manchester clubs and 4 against Liverpool already this season.

I meant over the 10 years

I meant over the 10 years

Do you think over the last ten years we've been ok defensively?

Do you think over the last ten years we've been ok defensively?

We haven’t been awful. Fairly good in fact
    https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/1/Arsenal/stats?se=54
    I blame how easily some players lose possession, we play a high game, which bring the associated risks. I would have played Giroud not Alexis against United

• Advertisement

Our goals conceded ranking in reverse order from last year:

=6
    =3
    =3
    =5
    =5

In those same seasons our goals scored:

=4
    =2

Defence looks like the biggest issue over the period but our goals scored has been getting worse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement