Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Forrest away in the fa cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

batistuta9 wrote: »

Always had a soft spot for forest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,511 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So I was wondering today where our friend Yaya Sanogo was...

Since joining Arsenal he's gone onto some pretty big things, a loan move to Crystal palace and scoring zero goals followed another loan move to Ajax scoring another zero goals to Jong Ajax - again getting zero goals but at Charlton is where he really excelled with three goals...he's now at Tolouse...again scoring zero goals.

Worst ever signing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Worst ever signing?

Kallstrom

So I was wondering today where our friend Yaya Sanogo was...

Since joining Arsenal he's gone onto some pretty big things, a loan move to Crystal palace and scoring zero goals followed another loan move to Ajax scoring another zero goals to Jong Ajax - again getting zero goals but at Charlton is where he really excelled with three goals...he's now at Tolouse...again scoring zero goals.

Worst ever signing?

Was only a young player and while he had a bit of strength he had no first touch.
    He came on a free with a big reputation having excelled in an u20 world cup that summer but should never have been thrown in that big game v Bayern Munich at the expense of Giroud.
    I would argue we've signed worse. Julio Baptista was a full Brazilian international for example who was absolutely terrible and out of his depth. Take also that Sevilla wanted 21m for him in the summer of 2005. An extra 5m would have got you Michael Essien that same summer. He eventually went for a straight swap with Reyes.

• Advertisement

liam7831 wrote: »
    Kallstrom

Was a decent player when he did play but should never have been signed with an injury. Defeated the purpose of an emergency loan. First real question signs of Wengers huge decline in judgement.

We tonked them in the Carling cup last year. Same again id hope although the FA cup does bring out the best in the non Premier league teams. Forest have sold on Assombolonga since who was very effective for them last season. Murphy could pose a threat under the long ball. Lets face it, our centre halves arent known for their brute strength or dominance in the air when defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Was only a young player and while he had a bit of strength he had no first touch.
    He came on a free with a big reputation having excelled in an u20 world cup that summer but should never have been thrown in that big game v Bayern Munich at the expense of Giroud.
    I would argue we've signed worse. Julio Baptista was a full Brazilian international for example who was absolutely terrible and out of his depth. Take also that Sevilla wanted 21m for him in the summer of 2005. An extra 5m would have got you Michael Essien that same summer. He eventually went for a straight swap with Reyes.

The Beast banged in 4 at Anfield.

All time legend, for me.

Ol' Donie wrote: »

All time legend, for me.

Carling cup though. Twas the only good game he had for us. He was as awkward as a sow in reverse

Ol' Donie wrote: »

All time legend, for me.

Aye that was fantastic.

• Advertisement

Francis Jeffers

snowflaker wrote: »
    Francis Jeffers

Fairly good call. Not so much a bad player but for his injury record. He didnt suit Arsenal either. We had too many potent options up front and his career pretty much snowballed upon leaving Arsenal. Strange given the promise he announced himself with. We would arguably have been better spending the 11m on Robbie Fowler around the same time

Fairly good call. Not so much a bad player but for his injury record. He didnt suit Arsenal either. We had too many potent options up front and his career pretty much snowballed upon leaving Arsenal. Strange given the promise he announced himself with. We would arguably have been better spending the 11m on Robbie Fowler around the same time

The fox in the box that got snared by the hounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Lassana diarra deserves a mention here, signed on deadline day, gone in January.

Park chu young will take some beating though.
    Supposedly kicked him from other club too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Diarra took Ljungbergs shirt number too if I recall, he was a bag of sh1te altogether, we flogged him to Portsmouth who then somehow duped Real Madrid into signing him for 20 odd million. Park was an weird signing, just for shirt sales I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think people focus on the wrong attributes when considering worst signings. Like Park Chu Young only played a handful of games so how negative was his impact? Not very. Players like Chamakh, Squillaci, Almunia who played quite a lot of games were surely worse signings as they cost the team points/chances for trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Almunia is the correct answer.

Signed from the bench of the Segunda division, he was persevered with because we had no money to sign a replacement and had to wait until Szczesny was ready. Cost the team a lot of games and was mentally shot from early in his career. I dont blame him, he was picked by a manager who was culpable in not signing a replacement.

We've had some stinkers as mentioned but you tend to get away with donkeys playing outfield as their contribution isnt as important. To have a goalkeeper that nobody was confident in was detrimental to the entire team.

I don’t recall Almunia being that bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I don’t recall Almunia being that bad!

He only cost us the CL in 2006... look back at the two goals, shocking stuff.

In saying that it merely overshadows the chances Henry missed in that game... we should have been out of sight by the time Almunia handed Barca the cup.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Rumours of Nzonzi [source Football Mole on Twitter - don't know how reliable he is].

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Roaster wrote: »
    Rumours of Nzonzi [source Football Mole on Twitter - don't know how reliable he is].

apparently he's in London to seal a transfer to somewhere

DvB wrote: »

In saying that it merely overshadows the chances Henry missed in that game... we should have been out of sight by the time Almunia handed Barca the cup.

Henry was far worse in that game! The goals weren’t Almunia’s fault alone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Football mole on twitter is a complete bluffer. He was all over the Benzema/Mahrez/Lemar rumours saying they were done deals etc. Just another rumour monger looking for follows etc. The only ones who I trust are Ornstein and maybe John Cross. They hear the rumours and investigate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

John Cross isn't reliable at all, and his articles are borderline trolling at times. Hes up there with the daily mail IMO.

AdamD wrote: »
    John Cross isn't reliable at all, and his articles are borderline trolling at times. Hes up there with the daily mail IMO.

I've never seen anything like that from Cross, but then again, I rarely read the British red top papers. I just found him a reliable source on twitter regarding transfers in London clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Henry was far worse in that game! The goals weren’t Almunia’s fault alone

Agree re: TH. Hence referring to his missed chances.

But look back at the first goal, Almunia was awful for it. Had he kept that out & I suspect we'd have hung on. Anyway, its all if & ands now, sadly.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Almunia was a real sh*te signing. Never filled me with any confidence and sticking with him for so long was criminal by Wenger. Didnt Arsene call him "World Class"? Completely out of his depth.

Wenger could easily have replaced him but he decided not too. We never had so little cash where we couldnt afford to buy a better keeper than Almunia.

My arsenal 3rd strip arrived today- I don’t carry it off as well as Giroud but it’s pretty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Ah here lads are ya forgetting bischoff and inamoto?

• Advertisement

Ah here lads are ya forgetting bischoff and inamoto?

Bizarre signings no doubt. Inamoto tbf was decent for Fulham but Bischoff was crocked with injury. Thats the reason we got him so cheap. He was highly rated as a youngster apparently

Lassana diarra deserves a mention here, signed on deadline day, gone in January.

Park chu young will take some beating though.
    Supposedly kicked him from other club too.

We bought Diarra fully believing that Flamini would go but Flamini was outstanding alongside Fabregas that season. Diarra sulked when he didnt walk straight into the team. I seen him play in Europe and was less then impressed that season, that said though I think he was better then that as he proved for Portsmouth. Wasnt bad at Chelsea either. Mourinho wasnt too happy to see him go if i remember and this wedge driven between him and Abramovich eventually led to his first departure.

DvB wrote: »

As opposed to Lehmann getting set off in the same game.

As opposed to Lehmann getting set off in the same game.

Lehmann should have taken the conceded goal. I liked Mad Jens but he had his moments of craziness too. Although we took the lead id have given us a chance at 11 v 11. The other whammy was that Pires was taken off. He's a player who could have really unlocked that Barca defence that night.

Chelsea on Jan 3
    Dream girls on Jan 4!

London Birthday weekend!!!

Richard Wright was a bigger flop than Almunia

• Advertisement

Chelsea on Jan 3
    Dream girls on Jan 4!

London Birthday weekend!!!

You're not a certain gay Arsenal fan that used post here a lot are you? :pac:

Richard Wright was a bigger flop than Almunia

Very disappointed with Richard Wright. Arsenal was too big a move for him it seems and his career snowballed thereafter. He looked very good at Ipswich so it was strange. Was very poor the night Deportivo beat us in Spain and beaten at his near post.

Really?

Can't be, it's not anywhere near as annoying or antagonising as the afore-mentioned chap.

EDIT: Just seen the post history, buckle up lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Throw us out those questions for the podcast lads :) recording tomorow night, Trying something new aswell, Live streaming in a facebook group, but I'll also be recording the regular way aswell :)

Throw us out those questions for the podcast lads :) recording tomorow night, Trying something new aswell, Live streaming in a facebook group, but I'll also be recording the regular way aswell :)

Is Ozil and Wilshere and Ramsey upping their game of late because they are coming into the shop window soon?

Has Sanchez's poor performances (despite his obvious class) down to that he is going in January? He gave the ball away 34 times on Saturday. Very annoying watching him despite his obvious quality.

Is Wenger leaving this year, with all the back room appointments coming in?

Lastly, were you as disappointed with the result but delighted with the effort and guile as me? Thanks Brian Regan! Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Arsenal keepers rated best to worst?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I subtly posted about this at the weekend, obviously no one picked up on it.

Quazzie wrote: »

I sensed a familiarity about one or two of the posts but then thought, 'nah, cant be'.

Quazzie wrote: »

Great minds think alike!
    I sensed a familiarity about one or two of the posts but then thought, 'nah, cant be'.

I was only joking because of the reference to a musical...but I had to check for myself in his post history, very very VERY familiar!

So Snowflaker, have you been here before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Anyone keeping an eye on who is about to get dumped into the Europa league? Arsenal were easily the bookies favourites to win the tournament before the champions league teams enter.

Napoli need to win and for city to beat Shaktar in order to avoid it. Dortmund will probably end up in the Europa league, even though they're rubbish right now. Atletico went into it last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Anyone keeping an eye on who is about to get dumped into the Europa league? Arsenal were easily the bookies favourites to win the tournament before the champions league teams enter.

Napoli need to win and for city to beat Shaktar in order to avoid it. Dortmund will probably end up in the Europa league, even though they're rubbish right now. Atletico went into it last night.

actually forgot about it :D imagine atletico t overtake as favourites now , would be cool to get celtic if possible :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

pudzey101 wrote: »
    actually forgot about it :D imagine atletico t overtake as favourites now , would be cool to get celtic if possible :D

I’d love to get Celtic and show them up for the overhyped mess they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

wawaman wrote: »

dont jinx us james forrest would prob bang a hat trick against us in both legs :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

wawaman wrote:

Arsenal would hardly show up Killarney Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tomorrow night it's the giants Bate Borisov.
    The mighty Dundalk beat them 3 - 0 last year in Tallaght.
    Another fringe player team to be sent out to beat them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement