Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Great finish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

come on just another 2 aint much to ask for :D "!"!"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Great finish alright. At least the fans who showed up tonight got to see some exhibition stuff here.

emmetlego wrote: »
    What record is that TG?

7-0 against Slavia Prague in 2007 and also Standard Liege from 1993. Marlo (Eddie) is on now to run the BATE boys off the corners :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Quazzie wrote: »
    Isn't Jack also out of contract at the end of the year?

Yeah. Could be major rebuilding over the next couple of seasons.

Ozil, sanchez probably gone. Mert retiring, kos & monreal both 32. Cech pushing on.
    Ramsey & welbeck will have 2 years left, could be flogged now if they don't sign.
    Giroud, Walcott, ospina, eleney, coq will they hang around not playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Yeah. Could be major rebuilding over the next couple of seasons.

Ozil, sanchez probably gone. Mert retiring, kos & monreal both 32. Cech pushing on.
    Ramsey & welbeck will have 2 years left, could be flogged now if they don't sign.
    Giroud, Walcott, ospina, eleney, coq will they hang around not playing?

And a new manager... surely.

Wouldn't bet on it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

That would make too much sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Are the highlights on anywhere?

6-0 win. No european win record equalled but still a comprehensive victory and a workout for the kids and second string.

• Advertisement

Napoli,
    spartak Moscow
    Celtic
    Dortmund
    Nice
    astana,
    partizan Belgrade,
    ludogorets,
    aek Athens,
    Lyon,
    fc Copenhagen
    Steaua Bucharest
    Marseille
    Ostersunds
    Real sociedad

Ol' Donie wrote: »

ITV later, or BT after 10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Enjoyed it. Glad it was over though!

I really hope Jack stays at the club.

I still believe at full fitness he's world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Wilshire is a class footballer, if he hadn't been beset by injuries he'd be a lynchpin in the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Ol' Donie wrote: »

I find Arsenalist a great site for good extended highlights a couple of hours after the matches finish.

http://arsenalist.com/f/2017-18/arsenal-vs-bate/arsenal-vs-bate-extended-highlights.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Napoli,
    spartak Moscow
    Celtic
    Dortmund
    Nice
    astana,
    partizan Belgrade,
    ludogorets,
    aek Athens,
    Lyon,
    fc Copenhagen
    Steaua Bucharest
    Marseille
    Ostersunds
    Real sociedad

This is by far the easiest route to next years champions league and a nice trophy to go with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Soups123 wrote: »
    This is by far the easiest route to next years champions league and a nice trophy to go with it
    I'd still rather finish 3rd

Soups123 wrote: »

That lists only the unseeded sides arsenal can play in the last 32 btw

I don't know, depends what team he plays now in the KOs. I wouldn't fancy the one that's played so far against some teams in it.

being in the EL hasn't really benefited the first in the league yet, maybe the lack of matches they played will show over xmas/later in the season.

Though when the EL comes back schedule wise it's difficult. Last 32 & 16 played over 4 weeks. The CL only plays last 16 in that time, alternating weeks for teams

• Advertisement

I'd still rather finish 3rd

Than what? win the EL and finish where?

Than what? win the EL and finish where?
    I'd rather finish 3rd in the EPL than finish 6th and with the EL for example.

I'd rather finish 3rd in the EPL than finish 6th and with the EL for example.

Why though? You just think a higher league position would would be a better season

What about 4th + EL or 3rd,
    3rd + EL or 2nd?

Id take the EL over a top 4 finish.

Why though? You just think a higher league position would would be a better season

What about 4th + EL or 3rd,
    3rd + EL or 2nd?

Id take the EL over a top 4 finish.
    4th lands us in the qualifiers which is something i hate because it's always used as an excuse for leaving our signings till later in the transfer window. 3 gets us straight into the group, as does the EL. So either would do, but my personal preference would be to finish 3rd and an enjoyable run for the reserves in the EL.

Finishing 3rd over actually winning something?

That's mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Sod that, the EL may not be the big one but its a european trophy & we've only 2 of them in our history alongside a fair sprinkling of defeats in finals, so personally I'd love to see us win the EL... we simply cant win the league so would take the next best which for me would be the EL... anyone wanting 3rd ahead of that is, if I'm being honest, quite odd.

Personally I like seeing the team win stuff.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    Sod that, the EL may not be the big one but its a european trophy & we've only 2 of them in our history alongside a fair sprinkling of defeats in finals, so personally I'd love to see us win the EL... we simply cant win the league so would take the next best which for me would be the EL... anyone wanting 3rd ahead of that is, if I'm being honest, quite odd.

Personally I like seeing the team win stuff.
    It's harder and more of an achievement to finish 3rd tho.

I disagree.

Personally I think winning a european trophy is more of an achievement than finishing in any of the positions 2-4 in the league.

I respect you personally may feel a sense of achievement in the club finishing third, but I'd prefer to see us progress through the knock out stages & watch us lift a trophy.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Man, nobody gave a f*ck when we finished second.

Why would anyone care if we finished third?

DvB wrote: »
    I disagree.

Personally I think winning a european trophy is more of an achievement than finishing in any of the positions 2-4 in the league.

I respect you personally may feel a sense of achievement in the club finishing third, but I'd prefer to see us progress through the knock out stages & watch us lift a trophy.
    Would you agree it's harder to finish third than win the EL tho?

Would you agree it's harder to finish third than win the EL tho?

TBH No.
    Other than city & possibly chelsea theres no team in the PL that I feel would generate a sense of achievement in finishing above them. Whereas if we managed to navigate our way through the knockout stages of a european trophy & ultimately win it, I'd consider that an achievement. Its an honour on the honours lise, the players get medals & we get as fans to celebrate that.
    Personally I've never celebrated finishing anything other than 1st in the league.

BTW I'm not trying to be argumentative, & I fully respect you feel differently (& thats perfectly fine) I just genuinely prefer to see us win trophies...
    I'm old enough to remember plenty of years when we didnt have the sense of entitlement that surrounds the fanbase now & when winning anything was a celebration. The PL & the top 4 has diluted many to that feeling of wanting to win competitions, but I'll take trophies over 2-4 any day. I don't care how rich the club is or what the balance sheet looks like ( I used to, but not anymore), I just want to be an old fashioned fan & see us win as much as possible before I die.

• Advertisement

It might be because I put the EL on the same level as the League Cup. :o

I also reckon it's harder to get 3rd over winning the EL because if you look at the teams we've put over the last few games, we'd never get 3rd if we fielded teams like that as often in the league.

It might be because I put the EL on the same level as the League Cup. :o

I also reckon it's harder to get 3rd over winning the EL because if you look at the teams we've put over the last few games, we'd never get 3rd if we fielded teams like that as often in the league.

I suspect the EL will get far more competitive from here on in. I wouldnt be as confident of even making the semi finals as some, one bad draw & we could easily be out before we know it.

Then we can concentrate on finishing 3rd ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Don't think there's much chance of us winning it unless we start putting out full strength teams when we play the likes of Atletico or Napoli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Don't think there's much chance of us winning it unless we start putting out full strength teams when we play the likes of Atletico or Napoli.

I'd presume and hope that's the plan.

Be nice to see some of the stronger teams meet each other and do us a favour along the way.
    A nice, soft EL win like Uniteds last year be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

marvin80 wrote: »
    A nice, soft EL win like Uniteds last year be grand.

Body blow. Love it!

4 handy wins now would nicely set us up for Christmas disappointment :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

4 handy wins now would nicely set us up for Christmas disappointment :p

Let’s just hope they beat Southampton first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

We're playing in an hour...and this thread hasnt been posted in since yesterday afternoon :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We're playing in an hour...and this thread hasnt been posted in since yesterday afternoon :pac:
    It is probably because we're out of the race well before Christmas yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

It is probably because we're out of the race well before Christmas yet again.
    I know the reason, but even for us I thought it was poor

I know the reason, but even for us I thought it was poor

I'll watch it anyway but we're a Jekyll and Hyde team so anything could happen. Fifteen points behind City at this stage is poor and as Conte said i.e. if you have lost 4 in 16 games you're out of the race, we have lost 5 in 15. However football is football and I will watch it hoping we'll win and perform well.

Walcott not even making the bench again. I think he'll go in Jan unless he's happy with that and getting the handy money.

Walcott not even making the bench again. I think he'll go in Jan unless he's happy with that and getting the handy money.

I think he has generally played well for us when called upon. Who knows if he might come back into the fold if we lose a couple of key players in January.

There might be an argument for Theo to go somewhere that he will be playing regularly in order to force his way into the England team for the World Cup, but I think it's too far down the pecking order to do that.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I think he has generally played well for us when called upon. Who knows if he might come back into the fold if we lose a couple of key players in January.

There might be an argument for Theo to go somewhere that he will be playing regularly in order to force his way into the England team for the World Cup, but I think it's too far down the pecking order to do that.

Maybe. Can't see him making the England squad though.
    #On another note it's amazing the way Ox leaving made no difference to the team. It's as if he was never here.

That didn't take long. Just about onside, and Mert not covering himself with glory there.

Welcome back Mert

Atleast they learned from last week with the quick start

Should be 2 down shocking at this level getting found out two weeks in a row first 5 minutes

This is embarrassing again

I coach a junior team that would'nt make this many mistakes over a months worth of games

• Advertisement

Goes to show just how shyte our defence is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement