Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Troy deeney really sticking the boot in now on BT

He should give our manager and some of our players a boot while he is at it.

It wouldn't matter.
    The rot has firmly set in.
    We are going nowhere until Wenger is replaced and that won't happen for years yet.

If Overmars does come in though im wondering are we preparing for change? Or will we see him directing traffic outside the ground on matchdays? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

It's damn refreshing hearing Troy Deeney talking though would have ten of him rather than shower of gob****es we have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

It's damn refreshing hearing Troy Deeney talking though would have ten of him rather than shower of gob****es we have

Good wasn't he. Best piece with a footballer I've seen in ages.
    They usually say nothing just the usual clichés, all so boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

What did Deeney say lads i missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Gringo180 wrote: »
    What did Deeney say lads i missed it.
    Deeney wrote:
    There’s a reason they lost and is wasn’t because of one penalty

I have to watch what I say but… having a bit of cojones, I think the word is. Having a bit of nuts. ‘Whenever I play Arsenal and this is just personal, I go up and I think let me whack the first one, let’s see who wants it. ‘I came on today, I jumped up with [Per] Mertesacker, didn’t even have to jump actually, nod it down, the crowd gets up, and they all just backed off. Teams do not fear Arsenal

For me as a player, happy days, because that’s my strength, and if you’re going to let me do my strength against you, you’re going to have a tough afternoon.

Look at their losses, they lost to Stoke already this year, people look at us as the lesser team but we’re looking at Arsenal and saying ‘we can beat you’, we don’t go there with that aura, that fear any more.

From the Metro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

L'prof wrote: »
    From the Metro

Spot on as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Gringo180 wrote: »
    What does Iwobi offer this team? A poor mans Luis Boa Morte. Ozil didnt look like he gave a toss when he missed that sitter. Says it all really.

I thought Iwobi's attittude was very poor tonight. No chasing back and exasperated looks when things didn't go his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

greendom wrote: »
    I thought Iwobi's attittude was very poor tonight. No chasing back and exasperated looks when things didn't go his way.

Sounds like an ideal replacement for Sanchez.

greendom wrote: »

Forget his attitude, it looked like there were 2 Welbecks out there this evening. Woeful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

L'prof wrote: »
    From the Metro

Wow. Don't think I've ever heard a current player talk about an opponent like that before.

Jayop wrote: »
    Wow. Don't think I've ever heard a current player talk about an opponent like that before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hmmm. Interesting stuff from Deeney there, not sure what to think about it. In one sense he's probably correct in what he's saying, but it's always easy to come out with a forthright quote after a good result. Having a big gob can be a hindrance in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

If Deeney could stay out of the club tuck shop for five minutes he'd be a hell of a player. State of him.

If Deeney could stay out of the club tuck shop for five minutes he'd be a hell of a player. State of him.

Watch that vid above, he's well aware of what he is & isn't.

Just saw him on MOTD there. His son is an Arsenal fan and he’s going home to rub it in :D

I have no issue with what he said. I hate seeing him playing against Arsenal because he’s always liable to cause us problems. They generally don’t cope with physicality very well at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Deeney is only saying what we all know and what other teams know i.e. we are soft. The players and manager have no balls for a fight. We see it every year so it's old news.

Arghus wrote: »
    Hmmm. Interesting stuff from Deeney there, not sure what to think about it. In one sense he's probably correct in what he's saying, but it's always easy to come out with a forthright quote after a good result. Having a big gob can be a hindrance in the long run.

Big time. Painting a target on his back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

We are well and truely ****ed. That lineup out there today was painfully average. What an awful season already. The league is out of reach 8 games in ffs. That defeat really hurt me today, but I don’t know why! I (we) all knew this was on the cards after that shambles of a summer and the new contract for Wenger.

It’s only going to get worse before it gets better, so I suppose we will have to get used to it. Does anyone actually think Wenger is the right man for the job? Surely even his most hardened fans have lost faith by now?

Just watched that through and nothing to do with the digs at arsenal, it's not my place to say anything in your thread, but that was a truly excellent interview. I've heard him before and was impressed but that was something else. Pure honesty and himself and his team, talking g about the Brazilian lad and the manager moving on if they keep performing etc. Thanks for posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Sooo lads.

Should i give arsenal 5k for a season ticket?

Sooo lads.

Should i give arsenal 5k for a season ticket?

5k??? Not a fear!!! How many games does that usually cover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That is so fascinating to listen to. Savage does his best to spoil it because he needs to be involved, but if you can blank him out, this is some insight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Fair play to Deeney, its rare that you hear a player coming out with any statement that doesnt sound pre prepared. I watched some program about him before and he came off as very likeable, someone from a troubled background that appreciates what he has.
    Im open to correction but I think he grew up an Arsenal fan too. Theres nothing in that interview that we didnt know but its nice to hear a player say it.
    Also for the comment above about him having a big gob and it coming back to bite him, I remember not too long ago he mocked Ramsey for turning his arse to a free that Waford scored from. Cant beat a bit of honesty

An opinion piece should influence your decision on buying a season ticket? Does it matter whose opinion it is?

Basil3 wrote: »
    An opinion piece should influence your decision on buying a season ticket? Does it matter whose opinion it is?

It does when it agrees with an opinion you already formed yourself.
    You were very quiet yesterday.

It does when it agrees with an opinion you already formed yourself.
    You were very quiet yesterday.

Only watched some of the second half. From what I saw, they were rubbish.

• Advertisement

Only watched some of the second half. From what I saw, they were rubbish.

Indeed. 5th or 6th place this season for me, no higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The fall of the empire is in sight. How many more of these performances before we truly hit rock bottom? It feels more and more like a bottomless pit.

The fall of the empire is in sight. How many more of these performances before we truly hit rock bottom? It feels more and more like a bottomless pit.

Well your an optimist. I think the real root of the frustration is the fact that there is absolutely no sign of this circus ending. this tired old dinosaur has the autonomy to run this club as shambolically as he sees fit

The only thing that might convince me of change is if Overmars comes in as director of football. I dont know how good he is going to be but at least it would assure me that the club is willing to try something new. Surely the financial side is going to feel an impact soon? Stan only cares about the bottom line and while Gazidis has taken a hammering i cant help feeling he is somewhat conscious of the football side of things...moreso then the Nutty professor anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Well your an optimist. I think the real root of the frustration is the fact that there is absolutely no sign of this circus ending. this tired old dinosaur has the autonomy to run this club as shambolically as he sees fit

The only thing that might convince me of change is if Overmars comes in as director of football. I dont know how good he is going to be but at least it would assure me that the club is willing to try something new. Surely the financial side is going to feel an impact soon? Stan only cares about the bottom line and while Gazidis has taken a hammering i cant help feeling he is somewhat conscious of the football side of things...moreso then the Nutty professor anyway

Overmars, sold every good player that Ajax had, and all in the name of making a profit. He is not going to change a thing.

Noticeable players Marc Overmars has brought in for Ajax:
    Arek Milik 2.8M
    Nemanja Gudelje 6.0M
    Davinson Sánchez 5.0M
    Hakim Ziyech 11.0M
    Noticeable players that were sold during Marc Overmars’ spell:
    Jan Vertonghen 12.5M
    Christian Eriksen 13.5M
    Toby Alderweireld 7.0M
    Daley Blind 17.5M
    Nemanja Gudelje 5.5M
    Riechedly Bazoer 12.0M
    Arek Milik 32.0M
    Davinson Sánchez 40.0M
    Davy Klaassen 27.0M

Says it all really. Stan will love him if the continues this form

Quazzie wrote: »
    Overmars, sold every good player that Ajax had, and all in the name of making a profit. He is not going to change a thing.

Noticeable players Marc Overmars has brought in for Ajax:
    Arek Milik 2.8M
    Nemanja Gudelje 6.0M
    Davinson Sánchez 5.0M
    Hakim Ziyech 11.0M
    Noticeable players that were sold during Marc Overmars’ spell:
    Jan Vertonghen 12.5M
    Christian Eriksen 13.5M
    Toby Alderweireld 7.0M
    Daley Blind 17.5M
    Nemanja Gudelje 5.5M
    Riechedly Bazoer 12.0M
    Arek Milik 32.0M
    Davinson Sánchez 40.0M
    Davy Klaassen 27.0M

Says it all really. Stan will love him if the continues this form

Ajax were always a selling club though so it might be an unfair stick to beat Overmars with. Sure they dismantled the European cup winning team of 1995

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Icardi is class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I do feel for ye at the minute.

The biggest problem with what deeney said is he knows he has to go away to arsenal this seaseon and he still said it.

Imagine if he had said that about arsenal teams of the past?? Hed be kicked up and down Highbury for 90 mins by keown, adams, campbell no matter how big and tough he seems to think he is.

Gauranteed he wont be met with one full blooded challenge at the Emirates, he should be clattered in the first minute. Thats the problem though, and ye are right, it starts with the manager.

Bloody sean dyche would get more out of yer players than wenger, and that not even a joke!!

tastyt wrote: »

The biggest problem with what deeney said is he knows he has to go away to arsenal this seaseon and he still said it.

Imagine if he had said that about arsenal teams of the past?? Hed be kicked up and down Highbury for 90 mins by keown, adams, campbell no matter how big and tough he seems to think he is.

Gauranteed he wont be met with one full blooded challenge at the Emirates, he should be clattered in the first minute. Thats the problem though, and ye are right, it starts with the manager.

Bloody sean dyche would get more out of yer players than wenger, and that not even a joke!!

I admire Deeneys honesty to be honest. Why should he tiptoe around us? They could easily beat us at the Emirates and have done so in the last two seasons. We are a team of wimps.

I admire Deeneys honesty to be honest. Why should he tiptoe around us? They could easily beat us at the Emirates and have done so in the last two seasons. We are a team of wimps.

My attitude to the whole Deeney thing is he just got to end a massive goal drought from a peno given from a dive. I'd definitely be on a high after that.

Was just reading on Twitter that we have the most home points scored of any team in the league this calendar year. If we can't win the calendar year league, then hopefully we can win the home points calendar year league :D

Apparently the reason we're so rubbish is that we've only scored 15 points away from home this entire calendar year. Could that really be true? Crazy.

6 home games this season, 6 wins.
    5 away games this season, 1 win, 1 draw, 3 losses.

Overall though we're just not very good. Anyone can see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

tastyt wrote: »

I feel for the Arsenal fans who have seen the writing on the wall for years.

They are the ones who have had to watch as Stan Kroenke, Ivan Gazidis, et al suck the life out of the club, because they are not interesting in winning.

I don't feel for fans who have simply settled for what has happened as other teams have pulled ahead, while Arsenal pretty much has more money in its account than anybody else in world football. There are a shocking amount of fans who believe that Arsenal began with Arsene Wenger. I've met them. They do exist.

But the lifelong fans who are at the end of their tether, I feel for them. Arsenal is the nicest (I don't mean that in a good way) club in England, and the players play like there is no pressure on them at all. That must be soul destroying, because it's the same pattern every single year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Just booked tickets over to the match vs Newcastle, my god that arsenal ticketing website gets worse and worse.wait 15 mins on loading screen then only to be told your session has timed out. then the interactive seating plan doesn't work on any browser so you have to let it automatically seat you somewhere.

badly needs an overhaul

I'm arriving at the conclusion that we should cash in on both Ozil and Sanchez,
    They don't feature regularly enough for the team and don't play consistently enough when available. I would love to see the stats for how often they play.

Sell both and buy two players, a CB and a good no-nonsense midfielder.

There are others who we need to clear out too. Imagine that Walcott didn't even get a run out on Sat despite all the problems. How can he just sit there and why isn't he banging on Wenger's door, he's probably too content. He won't get hurt on the bench.

I'm arriving at the conclusion that we should cash in on both Ozil and Sanchez,
    They don't feature regularly enough for the team and don't play consistently enough when available. I would love to see the stats for how often they play.

There are others who we need to clear out too. Imagine that Walcott didn't even get a run out on Sat despite all the problems. How can he just sit there and why isn't he banging on Wenger's door, he's probably too content. He won't get hurt on the bench.

I don't get assumptions like this. You honestly think he doesn't want to be playing? You have any idea whether he is on at Wenger or not?

And when he does say something he's a moaner.

Walcott has a pretty damn good record for us the last few seasons when he's played.

I don't get assumptions like this. You honestly think he doesn't want to be playing? You have any idea whether he is on at Wenger or not?

For me he's an absolute coward on the field.
    If he was doing it in training even i'd imagine he'd get more game time.
    I think he's far too content.

And when he does say something he's a moaner.

Walcott has a pretty damn good record for us the last few seasons when he's played.

Why is he not playing then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Did you not see how dull and insipid we were on Saturday? A CB and no-nonsense midfielder isn't fixing that.

Did you not see how dull and insipid we were on Saturday? A CB and no-nonsense midfielder isn't fixing that.

It's the way Wenger allows them to play though. They get away with those performances on a regular basis. Been happening for years under him. Of course we need a new manager to change the mindset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It's the way Wenger allows them to play though. They get away with those performances on a regular basis. Been happening for years under him. Of course we need a new manager to change the mindset.

Well I won't argue there. But losing Ozil and Sanchez, and replacing them with a defender and defensive midfielder, I'd be seriously concerned about actually scoring anything. Wenger or not.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement