Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

Ozil almost scored a 'Nayim' there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Not sure what to make of that, Liverpool did there usual implode which was nice for us but another get out of jail card.

A weird sequence of events got us back into it not any change in approach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That match was a comedy of errors by both sides.
    Not one for the purists as they say. Awful football.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Soups123 wrote: »
    We are playing with too much fear of what they might do, giving them way too much respect on our pitch. The team has a mental ceiling I worry tonight we're showing that

Jack backing me up there, why you would play with that much fear and respect against a team worse than us defending is shocking.

Wenger should have sent us out at home to play our game not fear them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Mad mad game cech found wanting, spent more time shouting at the tele at carragher talking about firmino like he's the new makelele. Hard to know what to think, could have lost it could have won it.

Though wilshere played We'll, hopefully he puts a string of games together. Always looking to push us forward

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Awful awful display by us, but a superb 10 minute spell I thoroughly enjoyed. That's it in a nutshell!

I know he get's those goals, but Alexis can go now. I've had enough.

Same for Iwobi, and I feel sorry for him, he should be being nurtured, except Wenger is relying on him. Madness. I'd keep him and allow him to develop in a proper routine.

I defended Xhaka in the past, that goal was a decent strike but dreadful goal keeping. He deserves some credit, but his overall performance was dreadful, gave the ball away too often, ala Alexis.

How anybody can criticise Jack or Laca after their efforts and skills tonight is beyond me, but then again, as I said earlier, it's opinions and like ar53holes, everyone has one!

Frustrating night again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Theo got 19 goals in 27 games last season.

Is he been unfairly treated this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Theo got 19 goals in 27 games last season.

Is he been unfairly treated this year?

19 goals in 37 appearances all competitions according to Wikipedia still impressive enough to be fair.
    With a player like ozil and a 3 forwards with the pace of theo lacazette and alexis why aren't they setting up so ozil is racking up assists for fun I'll never know but hey what do I know I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

19 goals in 37 appearances all competitions according to Wikipedia still impressive enough to be fair.
    With a player like ozil and a 3 forwards with the pace of theo lacazette and alexis why aren't they setting up so ozil is racking up assists for fun I'll never know but hey what do I know I guess.

Our counter attack is just way too slow.

For years this was blamed on Girouds pace, but more recently it has become more obvious that it has nothing to do with him or any of the other strikers. We now have Lacazette, Sanchez and Iwobi, all of whom have decent pace and yet we still counter at snails pace and wait til the other team is back in their own box and setup properly again before we even think about shooting or passing into their box.

Wengers last days are so painful.

Its terrible its come to this.

The team is a mess, he still doesnt know his best 11 halfway through the season.

• Advertisement

Wengers last days are so painful.

Its terrible its come to this.

The team is a mess, he still doesnt know his best 11 halfway through the season.

I think he does, there may be one or two question marks. We have changed formation, though. I don't really think it's much of a stick to beat him with.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I think he does, there may be one or two question marks. We have changed formation, though. I don't really think it's much of a stick to beat him with.

So what's his favourite 11?

I have no idea anymore.

farna_boy wrote: »

For years this was blamed on Girouds pace, but more recently it has become more obvious that it has nothing to do with him or any of the other strikers. We now have Lacazette, Sanchez and Iwobi, all of whom have decent pace and yet we still counter at snails pace and wait til the other team is back in their own box and setup properly again before we even think about shooting or passing into their box.

I put our poor counters down to Sanchez, if you look at were he picks the ball up in space and he has either niles or kolasinac over lapping.instead of sliding the ball down the line for them to put a pass across the box or put a cross in, 9 times out of ten he does the check inside takes 100 touches and either plays it sideways or loses the ball. Which catches our fullbacks up the pitch leaving us wide open.

I remember watching either Tony Adams or keown saying they tried to play 1 or 2 touches getting it forward to counter as fast as possible. They were even saying when cesc came in the team the play slowed down as he wanted to take too much time over the ball.

Gone are the days when we used to win the ball back counter and score in 12 seconds

emmetlego wrote: »
    Awful awful display by us, but a superb 10 minute spell I thoroughly enjoyed. That's it in a nutshell!

I know he get's those goals, but Alexis can go now. I've had enough.

Same for Iwobi, and I feel sorry for him, he should be being nurtured, except Wenger is relying on him. Madness. I'd keep him and allow him to develop in a proper routine.

I defended Xhaka in the past, that goal was a decent strike but dreadful goal keeping. He deserves some credit, but his overall performance was dreadful, gave the ball away too often, ala Alexis.

How anybody can criticise Jack or Laca after their efforts and skills tonight is beyond me, but then again, as I said earlier, it's opinions and like ar53holes, everyone has one!

Frustrating night again!

Agree with Alexis part he could have gone to city at half time if I'd my way. As for iwobi the chap can't even pass the ball 5 yards and needs to be shipped out.
    Bellerin also, I'd love to see his 100m times now coz he seems to have lost 5 yards of pace either that or he couldn't be arsed. Also developing my most hated habit of travelling 40 yards with the ball and then turning back and passing it back 30 yards

All 3 need to be moved on as I think they are causing too must disruption at the club.

Thought jack played excellent

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

https://twitter.com/daltontoaj/status/944329812029689857

Ozil's "bounce the ball into the ground" trick is amazing. Give the man whatever he wants - he's the best player the club has had in donkeys years, just unlucky we've mainly put a load of shite around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Where do ye think Sanchez will go lads? Cant see him going to City, wouldn't make any sense as he loses possession to much to fit into Peps style. Maybe PSG?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

farna_boy wrote: »

Thats because it usually ends with Sanchez stopping the move and trying to take on everyone instead of doing a simple ****ing pass

irishman86 wrote: »

Thats because it usually ends with Sanchez stopping the move and trying to take on everyone instead of doing a simple ****ing pass
    I made this point a few pages back. As a result of the amount of times he loses the ball, it heaps lots of pressure on our backs and midfielders and the stats back that up. He makes us a lot poorer as a team despite his skill levels. I’d even start Wellbeck ahead of him at this stage. Madness, I know!

FixitFelix wrote: »
    I put our poor counters down to Sanchez, if you look at were he picks the ball up in space and he has either niles or kolasinac over lapping.instead of sliding the ball down the line for them to put a pass across the box or put a cross in, 9 times out of ten he does the check inside takes 100 touches and either plays it sideways or loses the ball. Which catches our fullbacks up the pitch leaving us wide open.

I remember watching either Tony Adams or keown saying they tried to play 1 or 2 touches getting it forward to counter as fast as possible. They were even saying when cesc came in the team the play slowed down as he wanted to take too much time over the ball.

Gone are the days when we used to win the ball back counter and score in 12 seconds
    Just have a look at Bellerin when he gets good possession or Iowbi on the right wing. The strikers- Laca and Giroud (when playing) make good runs but Bellerin will invariably turn back and play the easy and safe pass backwards instead of the quick ball ahead of the runners. Sanchez is not the only one as Ramsey when playing was slow to deliver the pass too. The quality of our final through ball has been very poor with Ozil about the pick of them.

• Advertisement

I made this point a few pages back. As a result of the amount of times he loses the ball, it heaps lots of pressure on our backs and midfielders and the stats back that up. He makes us a lot poorer as a team despite his skill levels. I’d even start Wellbeck ahead of him at this stage. Madness, I know!

Ive been saying it for two years :pac:
    Hes a hustle and bustle player for me, similar to Rooney (Back in the day) just not as talented not a superstar

Just have a look at Bellerin when he gets good possession or Iowbi on the right wing. The strikers- Laca and Giroud (when playing) make good runs but Bellerin will invariably turn back and play the easy and safe pass backwards instead of the quick ball ahead of the runners. Sanchez is not the only one as Ramsey when playing was slow to deliver the pass too. The quality of our final through ball has been very poor with Ozil about the pick of them.

Tend to agree, however Hector does a great cross at least once a game if I recall correctly, like his cross for our opener last night.

Tend to agree, however Hector does a great cross at least once a game if I recall correctly, like his cross for our opener last night.
    He may have had a good cross or two but his defending leaves a lot to be desired of late.
    I think Wenger seriously has to look at buying a few defenders in the window. He has left this problem fester for far too long. It's killing us and if he wants a Top 4 place then he has to address it BUT I doubt he will.

I've said the same About bellerin and as for Ramsey he doesn't lose the ball anywhere near as much as Sanchez

wonga77 wrote: »
    Where do ye think Sanchez will go lads? Cant see him going to City, wouldn't make any sense as he loses possession to much to fit into Peps style. Maybe PSG?

Honestly couldn't give a **** where he goes, he's not doing it for us, so off he pops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Yes Sanchez is very frustrating at the moment but he’s still quality. Fans wishing him gone best prepare themselves for no replacement and more game time for Walcott.

• Advertisement

omega man wrote: »
    Yes Sanchez is very frustrating at the moment but he’s still quality. Fans wishing him gone best prepare themselves for no replacement and more game time for Walcott.

You say quality, i say over rated
    I'd take Walcott over him right now

I'd take Walcott over him right now[/QUOTE]

Ah heeoorr

omega man wrote: »

The chap has basically given up for Arsenal so no point having him around

FixitFelix wrote: »
    The chap has basically given up for Arsenal so no point having him around
    He may have given up however he still scored last night and got us back into it.I'd have him with both his legs missing before i'd have Wally ahead of him though.
    The problem is that we have a rubbish bench at the moment and I think it's time to give the likes of young Nelson a run before Welbeck or Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Well you've not watched Walcott this season. Pretty much dropped from the league squad, he's been that bad.

• Advertisement

• irishman86 wrote: »

Tbf Walcot has been dreadful
    I'd agree on principal that Sanchez seems to get a free ride from some on his general performances
    I'd argue Ozil is Arsenals best player by a considerable margin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Tbf Walcot has been dreadful
    I'd agree on principal that Sanchez seems to get a free ride from some on his general performances
    I'd argue Ozil is Arsenals best player by a considerable margin

I’ve noticed a lot of Man Utd fans lately actually rating Mesut Ozil, I wonder why? ;)

• I’ve noticed a lot of Man Utd fans lately actually rating Mesut Ozil, I wonder why? ;)

Tbf lad I've always said nothing but good about him on forum throughout the years
    He takes alot of ****e from some, oddly from alot of Liverpool fans
    I think he's quality and yes if utd got him I'd be over the moon

Tbf lad I've always said nothing but good about him on forum throughout the years
    The Pool fans always criticise players who are doing well for other teams. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Ah I think ever since the Suarez £40m+1 bid years ago really rattled a few Liverpool fans (especially on this forum) and they haven’t gotten over it. So a lot of Liverpool fans now don’t have anything good to say about Arsenal or any of their players. Mind you, I’m the same this season, the team is a mess.

Could do worse than going in for mahrez in January

• FixitFelix wrote: »
    Could do worse than going in for mahrez in January

I'd hold the opinion that it would be a decent purchase. He's available for European football too which would be an oddity in January

I'd hold the opinion that it would be a decent purchase. He's available for European football too which would be an oddity in January

Plus he can play out wide and actually go past players and has an end product

Won’t be online much as I’m going home for Christmas, so just wanted to wish you all a very happy Christmas, hopefully the new year will see us ring the changes and give us a lot if not everything we want!

COYG

Won’t be online much as I’m going home for Christmas, so just wanted to wish you all a very happy Christmas, hopefully the new year will see us ring the changes and give us a lot if not everything we want!

COYG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Happy Xmas Emmett. We'll still be here arguing over who's better, Sanchez or Walcott, when you get back. :D

Also, Nice to see Maguire scoring an equalizer in Fergie Time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Leicester with a late late equalizer against Utd. 2-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

How the f*ck did Kane and Dele Alli not get bans for their terrible tackles last week?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    How the f*ck did Kane and Dele Alli not get bans for their terrible tackles last week?

Just because.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Jesus feel bad for eboue reading this http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-emmanuel-eboue-skint-bailiffs-11746303

Never forget when he got booed off as a sub heartbreaking ....

Also who is this Leon Bailey from Leverkusen we watched him play twice last week http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/24/arsenal-leapfrog-chelsea-race-complete-leon-bailey-transfer-7182616/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I was about to post that as well about eboue

I knew I remembered the name from somewhere.

LEON BAILEY

He made a smart comment about someone in the gym, and the someone turned out to be a pro-boxer. Hilarity ensues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Jesus feel bad for eboue reading this http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-emmanuel-eboue-skint-bailiffs-11746303

Never forget when he got booed off as a sub heartbreaking ....

Also who is this Leon Bailey from Leverkusen we watched him play twice last week http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/24/arsenal-leapfrog-chelsea-race-complete-leon-bailey-transfer-7182616/

His wife got ALL assets after the divorce. That’s bs surely.

Whilst I hope he gets the help and support he clearly needs it’s difficult to sympathise with someone who lived the dream whilst making millions then somehow managed to blow it all. If he sorts his head out he'll get by I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sanchez has been poor this season but he's still in the top 10 for chances created (Ozil top). I don't know how many he's responsible for giving away though.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Sanchez has been poor this season but he's still in the top 10 for chances created (Ozil top). I don't know how many he's responsible for giving away though.

I bet he's well down the table of "fúcks given" tho.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement