Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

Basil3 wrote: »
    It was a nice enough article reflecting on a pretty remarkable achievement. I wouldn't expect anything less than for someone here to rip the sh*t out of Wenger immediately.

Yawn.

Yawn away. Im here to give my opinion. Couldn't give a fúck what entertains you. its not the purpose of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Good win from the team tonight. Enjoyed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Respectfully though in all honesty they are 16th in the league. Good win tbf but id be reluctant to clap ourselves on the back when the fact of the matter the glass ceiling at max is Champions league qualification. And that looks a stretch.

There is no point saying major surgery needed at the back because sadly the man with the power doesn't give a flying fúck about how we defend. This has been in evidence with over a decade now and fair to assume that wont happen at this stage. Im thinking its a case of lack of drills then actual individual competence. What is often not highlighted is the amount of room we afford in the build up to these calamities.

16th now but for how long were they bottom without a point or even a goal scored as I remember. They have improved significantly since then and tonight was a good result, especially considering how poor we've been away from home this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Good performance going forward but defensively it's very worrying. A better side would have beaten us tonight. Alexis, Ozil and especially Wilshire were stand outs but Palace are poor, so let's not go OTT over the result. I'm safe to say we'll probably beat WBA and most on here will go crazy thinking we're getting top 4 then we come crashing down once we play Chelsea.

Worrying our three best players tonight are on their last year with us. also Bellerin and Kos were poor again tonight.

greendom wrote: »
    I'd defend the subbing of Lacazette today. Lots of games coming up and with Giroud out he does need protecting

Whats the bet's he won't play Sunday and Welbeck be in from the start. Just be the Wenger thing to do, I'm starting to question if Lacazette was a Wenger signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Weren't they 8 games unbeaten before tonight?

greendom wrote: »
    16th now but for how long were they bottom without a point or even a goal scored as I remember. They have improved significantly since then and tonight was a good result, especially considering how poor we've been away from home this season.

We should be aspiring to be the best though and not struggling against relatively mediocre teams at the bottom. Alot of people clearly dont feel i should be expressing such a negative opinion but its very disheartening what is happening at Arsenal. I just wish that selfish egotist would fúck off and let us look forward to supporting Arsenal again. Depressing to see this groundhog day grip the club and yet the only thing going up is is salary.

I dont feel i should feel obliged to say nice things about Wenger because that man has no respect for the Arsenal supporters.

We should be aspiring to be the best though and not struggling against relatively mediocre teams at the bottom. Alot of people clearly dont feel i should be expressing such a negative opinion but its very disheartening what is happening at Arsenal. I just wish that selfish egotist would fúck off and let us look forward to supporting Arsenal again. Depressing to see this groundhog day grip the club and yet the only thing going up is is salary.

I dont feel i should feel obliged to say nice things about Wenger because that man has no respect for the Arsenal supporters.

What do you think of Jose's comments that you can't compete with City's money?

Do you think when even he admits it, we should all accept that money buys the league every year (bar that one freak Leicester season, when we finished second)? Remember, four titles out of the last five have been won by oil sugar daddies.

Who do you think should replace Arsene? C'mon, give us a name that could challenge for the title.

Just listening to the most recent BPzone.

Totally agree that we should let Sanchez go, and do whatever we need to to keep Ozil & more importantly Wilshere.

Can't blame Dick Law if we f*ck this up.

Yawn away. Im here to give my opinion. Couldn't give a fúck what entertains you. its not the purpose of this thread.

Nice one.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Do you think when even he admits it, we should all accept that money buys the league every year (bar that one freak Leicester season, when we finished second)? Remember, four titles out of the last five have been won by oil sugar daddies.

Who do you think should replace Arsene? C'mon, give us a name that could challenge for the title.

I'm utterly shocked Wenger Fc fanbase is still sprouting out the same old lines "Sugar Daddy money" and "No one else out there to replace Wenger". Stop it. Do you support Arsenal's Well being or Arsene's?.

You guys are a massive problem, remember all the players playing in City's first 11 weren't bought this season, that Leicester won the league, that we're 21 points behind City, that we're still suffering from the same tactically mistakes that have blighted us in years gone by. And yet you still come out with same rubbish.

Looper007 wrote: »
    I'm utterly shocked Wenger Fc fanbase is still sprouting out the same old lines "Sugar Daddy money" and "No one else out there to replace Wenger". Stop it. Do you support Arsenal's Well being or Arsene's?.

You guys are a massive problem, remember all the players playing in City's first 11 weren't bought this season, that Leicester won the league, that we're 21 points behind City, that we're still suffering from the same tactically mistakes that have blighted us in years gone by. And yet you still come out with same rubbish.

I notice you didn't answer either of my questions.

I never said things were perfect at Arsenal. But go on, give me one name, just one, that you think could win the league for us?

Just one.

Actually, give me one that could win one FA cup, never mind 3 in 4.

And since you ask, I support Arsene a lot more than I support Stan Kronke's bull****.

You can decide yourself where that sits, as far as being a lifelong Arsenal fan is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

How about for a change answer why Wenger deserves to still be in charge at this club? This season we are even worse than last season. We won’t win the league or even challenge anymore! So why stick with him? I can’t understand why any Arsenal fan still thinks he should be in charge. This team is a shambles especially defensively.

The team doesn’t even have an identity anymore and as has been mentioned already our most talented players are out of contract at the end of this season and next.

Now is the perfect time to rebuild and with this new chief scout from Dortmund and sporting director from Barcelona coming in, why not bring in a new coach/manager. Wenger hanging on at Arsenal is only destroying his legacy. I’ve always had respect for the man, but this new contract he signed has been pointless. What is he trying to achieve this season? I honestly don’t know why he signed a new contract when it’s clear his squad/team is nowhere near good enough mentally and talent wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I notice you didn't answer either of my questions.

I never said things were perfect at Arsenal. But go on, give me one name, just one, that you think could win the league for us?

Just one.

Actually, give me one that could win one FA cup, never mind 3 in 4.

Stupid question because neither he nor you could prove the answer.

Ancelotti, Luis Enrique, Pellegrini, Simeone, Allegri, Low, a very short list of managers who could do well at any club. No guarantees.

What we do know is we have a manager who hasn't come close for 10+ years, a man who won't accept he has brought the club as far as he can because he fears what he will do himself when he leaves Arsenal.

His handling of his contract situation last year and the failure to either contract or sell top players is/was diabolical

Still no answers to my questions. Alright. I can do this as long as yous can.

Just one name.

Who can win even an FA cup. Come on.

Jose Mourinho?

Nope, he's just admitted he can't do it.

Thats a lame cop out. Im starting to see a common trait between Jose and Wenger. Both Whingers who love making excuses for their shortcomings.

There is plenty of managers out there who could bring more to the table then Wenger. Allegri was interested but we messed him around to give le Fraud another contract. Simeone may not be at Atletico and thus available come the end of the season but thats another guy come abegging. I keep hearing he wouldnt come to Arsenal but there is absolutely no basis to that argument whatsoever. By that same basis neither Ozil or Sanchez shoud have come to Arsenal but of course they have when they could be littered with medals that matter at any other club

If we can pay an astronomical salary to Wenger then we can surely lure a manager with ambition to win something?

Oh and putting Leicesters title win down as a freak is absolutely pathetic. a real cling of desperation for the AKBs living back in 1998. Its almost 2018, and we are shocking and that is the reality.

38 games to overtake them and no one could do it??? Come on. Arsenal had a golden opportunity but they bottled it.

Face facts....he's washed up and out of road.

We are continually explaining to you AKB's but you always refuse to listen.

Just one name.

So are you saying that only Wenger could win an FA cup with Arsenal? So no other manager in the world could win it?

So are you saying that only Wenger could win an FA cup with Arsenal? So no other manager in the world could win it?

Even though Roberto Martinez won it with Wigan.....Wigan FFS. Raneiri won the league with Leicester and was sacked year after.

Wenger is a fraud of the highest order. A crusty who should have been sacked back in 2008 if we are being completely honest only he hid behind the stadium build back then.

• Advertisement

Just one name.

Sorry, didn't see Soups answer when I posted this.

Anyone who really believes Ancelotti etc can challenge City, though, is impressively optimistic.

Just one name.

Who can win even an FA cup. Come on

What the oldest KNOCKOUT competition in the world???? Ah your having a laugh. Hundreds of managers have won this. 2nd division teams have won it.

Jeez the AKBs are sending out lads to bat that are as rudderless as the players he has landed on us. But unlike the players they have balls ill give them that

Anyone who really believes Ancelotti etc can challenge City, though, is impressively optimistic.

But Ranieri somehow managed this and somehow this is considered fluke???? Riiiight.

Yes that Ancelotti who won a double with Chelsea plus domestic and european cups galore everywhere he went.....He hasnt a clue about football that lad.

Well, actually I was trying to draw attention to the fact that he's won it 3 of the last 4 years.

Which is actually quite good.

City have only won the league once in the last 5 years? So 4 times other managers were able to compete, superb this year but very poor the 3 years before.

Ancelotti has an excellent career record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yes that Ancelotti who won a double with Chelsea plus domestic and european cups galore everywhere he went.....He hasnt a clue about football that lad.

Actually, Ancelotti is a poor league manager. His Milan team won 1 Serie A title, and just look at that team. Failed to crack it with Madrid, and wasn't impressive at Bayern. Fair, he was very good with Chelsea, but that's the anomaly, considering the others. He wouldn't be my first choice if we want league titles, and we do. His record is more poor than not in that regard - he's a Champions League manager.

I'd love Simeone though.

Well, actually I was trying to draw attention to the fact that he's won it 3 of the last 4 years.

Which is actually quite good.

Well when he could have actually won a league it isnt really. Id swap Leicesters league for all three of them cups.

But Ranieri somehow managed this and somehow this is considered fluke???? Riiiight.

F*ckn Di Matteo won the Champions League with Chelsea.

Do yis f*ckin want to give him a chance?

Or is there some other factor?

Just out of interest, what do you put Ranieri's miracle season down to?

• Advertisement

You could also twist that argument and ask how the hell can Di Matteo win a champions league and yet our 'legend manages to send the lambs out to slaughter each year? Face facts.....its not just luck involved. Hes tactically dumb. What happened pre 2006 is completely irrelevant. You may as well be talking about a different person.

Actually, Ancelotti is a poor league manager. His Milan team won 1 Serie A title, and just look at that team. Failed to crack it with Madrid, and wasn't impressive at Bayern. Fair, he was very good with Chelsea, but that's the anomaly, considering the others. He wouldn't be my first choice if we want league titles, and we do. His record is more poor than not in that regard - he's a Champions League manager.

I'd love Simeone though.

That's a harsh assessment, the man has won league titles in 3 of the major European leagues along with 3 CL trophies, that's phenomenal.

We've not won one CL, I'd take that over an FA Cup

You could also twist that argument and ask how the hell can Di Matteo win a champions league and yet our 'legend manages to send the lambs out to slaughter each year? Face facts.....its not just luck involved. Hes tactically dumb. What happened pre 2006 is completely irrelevant. You may as well be talking about a different person.

Right.

Pretty sure my argument is more about money than luck

How about Avram Grant? Would you take him?

Or maybe Mancini. He won the league with Sheik Mansour's blessing.

You asked for a list of names they have been offered nobody suggested Di Matteo. Your asking for names and answers while stating your more anti Kronke than Wenger, but what is your solution no managers are out there so stick with Wenger?

Right.

Pretty sure my argument is more about than luck

How about Avram Grant? Would you take him?

Or maybe Mancini. He won the league with Sheik Mansour's blessing.

And ask yourself why are all these managers able to bring their team to a champions league final and yet Wenger hasnt been able to? He's defensively clueless thats why. You keep bringing up the cup without mentioning the fact that its a competition where you could easily get non premier league teams all the way. We didnt play outside of London in 2014 with every game at home up to the semi final and yet we almost shat the course against Wigan and Hull.

The fact is that Wenger is every bit as inferior as those managers you mentioned only he has been given a mandate to continue his mediocrity.

Soups123 wrote: »
    You asked for a list of names they have been offered nobody suggested Di Matteo. Your asking for names and answers while stating your more anti Kronke than Wenger, but what is your solution no managers are out there so stick with Wenger?

What I'm saying is there any manager you think can compete with Pep & Sheik Mansour at City.

And I got a list of names who might, MIGHT, but good, but still no one can say confidently they'd even win an FA cup.

• Advertisement

Im sure back in 1932 when the great Herbert Chapman died we would have been better off to wind up the club rather than giving George Allison a go. Sure we'd never get anyone better :rolleyes:

Or perhaps in 1995 when George was sacked?

And, for what it's worth, I'm saying everyone is an also ran, so don't get any mad ideas otherwise.

What I'm saying is there any manager you think can compete with Pep & Sheik Mansour at City.

And I got a list of names who might, MIGHT, but good, but still no one can say confidently they'd even win an FA cup.

Are you on the sauce? You don't think any of the names provided could genuinely challenge for and Fa Cup an FA CUP???

It's not only about competing with Pep as I said they only won one of the last 5, we have a squad that is capable of being more than just a top 6 club

I’d rather “might” than a manager that definitely won’t win another league title. We now know what we get with Wenger, so why not let somebody else have a go and see what happens?

Funnily i remember Leicester seemed to find the resources in 2016 and Chelsea in 2017. City have won 2 titles under Sheikh Mansour in the 10 years since his takeover and even Wenger managed to beat Pep and City in the cup semi last year. Pep is a serious manager but its nothing unbeatable he is implementing. They looked very human against Newcastle last night so while i admire their lovely football i dont for one second believe that the opposition couldn't have amounted a better challenge.

Donie...be at peace for your own sake and just admit what we've all known all along.

• Advertisement

Are you on the sauce? You don't think any of the names provided could genuinely challenge for and Fa Cup an FA CUP???

It's not only about competing with Pep as I said they only won one of the last 5, we have a squad that is capable of being more than just a top 6 club

But the FA cup doesn't count for sh*t round here.

So why would replacing the current holder - a man who has won more FA cups than f*ckin Liverpool FC - be such a good idea?

Funnily i remember Leicester seemed to find the resources in 2016 and Chelsea in 2017. City have won 2 titles under Sheikh Mansour in the 10 years since his takeover and even Wenger managed to beat Pep and City in the cup semi last year. Pep is a serious manager but its nothing unbeatable he is implementing. They looked very human against Newcastle last night so while i admire their lovely football i dont for one second believe that the opposition couldn't have amounted a better challenge.

Donie...be at peace for your own sake and just admit what we've all known all along.

Thanks dear.

I'll stick to my loyalty to our greatest ever - albeit imperfect - manager.

So why would replacing the current holder - a man who has won more FA cups than f*ckin Liverpool FC - be such a good idea?

What in the name of Jaysus has the FA Cup got to do with it, it's a nice to have trophy, have one of them two of them there still just nice and a day out.

I've no idea what your point is

So why would replacing the current holder - a man who has won more FA cups than f*ckin Liverpool FC
    - be such a good idea?

Liverpool have won more European cups than Wenger. a trophy where you meet top clubs on the continent as opposed to meeting Shrewsbury in round 4.

Your scraping the barrel

Yeah, it was amazing when Chelsea found the resources to win the league in 2017.

Where's their manager now? Has he mentioned resources at all?

Yeah, it was amazing when Chelsea found the resources to win the league in 2017.

Chelsea won the league with Victor Moses in the team. Easy put it down to finance but you still have to set the team up tactically. Our man doesnt do that though.
    City havent won the league since 2014..... where was their resources up to now??
    Hunger and fight are great resources but we wont see them where the Nutty professor is concerned.

He has mentioned resources but he is a hypocrite as his club has spent an almost similar amount, 200m+

He makes excuses for himself all the time like the 'park the bus' moaning that is different when he does it

Liverpool have won more European cups than Wenger. a trophy where you meet top clubs on the continent as opposed to meeting Shrewsbury in round 4.

Your scraping the barrel

For **** sake.

We beat City in the semi and Chelsea in the final.

Not that it counts for anything round here.

For **** sake.

We beat City in the semi and Chelsea in the final.

Not that it counts for anything round here.

So??? Portsmouth knocked United out in 2008 and Wigan beat both Everton and City in 2013 and United in 2014. How are Portsmouth and Wigan doing now since you were so keen to mention Avram Grant and Roberto Di Matteo?

Sunderland beat Leeds in the final in 73 and West Ham beat Arsenal in 1980. Both winners were second division teams. Its a knockout competition and while a nice traditional old competition it doesnt hold a candle to the premier league or champions league.

your using 2 one off knockout games as your argument. Try being the best over 38 games where it really matters or try beating Europes elite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

With all due respect Donie, you are a fair representative of everything that is wrong with the club at the moment.

You complain about Kroenke, but you yourself are worse. At least he's not claiming to be a fan of the club, and he gets to skim money off the top. What do you get?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement