Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well I won't argue there. But losing Ozil and Sanchez, and replacing them with a defender and defensive midfielder, I'd be seriously concerned about actually scoring anything. Wenger or not.

I agree but when they're rarely playing they can't score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Just booked tickets over to the match vs Newcastle, my god that arsenal ticketing website gets worse and worse.wait 15 mins on loading screen then only to be told your session has timed out. then the interactive seating plan doesn't work on any browser so you have to let it automatically seat you somewhere.

badly needs an overhaul

I use Chrome - always works perfect. Maybe it's your device?

Why is he not playing then?
    You trust Wenger's judgement all of a sudden? :P

You trust Wenger's judgement all of a sudden? :P
    No but even a blind man could see through Wally.:p
    Joking aside though there's something terribly wrong at the club.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I use Chrome - always works perfect. Maybe it's your device?

The Arsenal ticketing website runs flash, which has been disabled in the latest versions of Chrome.

Here's how to enable it for a single website. You really shouldn't have it enabled for all websites.

It will work once enabled.

No but even a blind man could see through Wally.:p
    Joking aside though there's something terribly wrong at the club.
    How exactly? He scores very regularly.

How exactly? He scores very regularly.
    He hides in the rough games. Can't remember when he changed an important game in our favour.

He hides in the rough games. Can't remember when he changed an important game in our favour.

When did he last play an important game for us?

Basil3 wrote: »
    When did he last play an important game for us?
    He started against Stoke and Leicester afaik.

• Advertisement

He started against Stoke and Leicester afaik.

In which season?

In which season?

This one.

This one.

Nope, token run on at the end for both those matches, though. Has he even started for us in the league this season?

Nope, token run on at the end for both those matches, though. Has he even started for us in the league this season?

I don't know, doubt it. He has no league goal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Disgusted with last Saturday’s performance and losing to Watford. However people saying fair play to Deeney saying how it is etc, well when Arsenal beat Watford 3-1 last season was he saying the same thing. I just googled Troy Deeney wiki page. The guy started in non league, went to Walsall and has been with Watford since 2010. His career honours are Championship runners up 14/15 season with Watford. And this is a guy who questions World Cup winners, Euro winners, FA cup winners, Premier League winners etc.

I await his “honest” post match interview next time his Watford team gets stuffed in a match or to come out and criticise fellow professionals next time they beat a top 6 side. Watford beat Man Utd 3-1 last season at Vicarage Road, did he come out and attack their professionalism after that one?

Edit. For the record I agree with what he said on the day. However he’s a fellow professional and shouldn’t be calling out fellow pros like that. Or if that the way he wants to play it, then at least be consistent when his own team get hammered or if they beat other teams in the league.

Disgusted with last Saturday’s performance and losing to Watford. However people saying fair play to Deeney saying how it is etc, well when Arsenal beat Watford 3-1 last season was he saying the same thing. I just googled Troy Deeney wiki page. The guy started in non league, went to Walsall and has been with Watford since 2010. His career honours are Championship runners up 14/15 season with Watford. And this is a guy who questions World Cup winners, Euro winners, FA cup winners, Premier League winners etc.

if you have heard the interview Deeney admitted he wasnt on the same technical level as them but he quite rightly said that the minute the battle gets physical and the pressure comes on, Arsenal wilt. They are terrific when they have a sufficient lead on a team but when any pressure came on them the other night they suffered another mental collapse. Its as obvious as the storm that battered the country yesterday.

Those achievements you listed were won internationally in a different setup. Collectively, in the Arsenal setup, these players are weak. They have no bottle and no leadership and a manager who is long past his sell by date but is too egotistical to admit it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

if you have heard the interview Deeney admitted he wasnt on the same technical level as them but he quite rightly said that the minute the battle gets physical and the pressure comes on, Arsenal wilt. They are terrific when they have a sufficient lead on a team but when any pressure came on them the other night they suffered another mental collapse. Its as obvious as the storm that battered the country yesterday.

Those achievements you listed were won internationally in a different setup. Collectively, in the Arsenal setup, these players are weak. They have no bottle and no leadership and a manager who is long past his sell by date but is too egotistical to admit it.

Yeah don’t get me wrong, I agree with what he said and you have said. Just think a fellow professional in his position shouldn’t be saying that about fellow pros in public...unless. Or if he is going to come out with a “refreshingly honest” interview like he did, then be consistent and come out when his own team has a stinker and also call out other teams when it happens. (Which he hasn’t in the past, as far as I know)

Yeah don’t get me wrong, I agree with what he said and you have said. Just think a fellow professional in his position shouldn’t be saying that about fellow pros in public...unless. Or if he is going to come out with a “refreshingly honest” interview like he did, then be consistent and come out when his own team has a stinker and also call out other teams when it happens. (Which he hasn’t in the past, as far as I know)

Well he answered the question that was put to him I suppose. Perhaps its just genuinely puzzling for him to see a team where there is no question have the technical attributes but absolutely no heart or appetite for a battle. Personally id prefer if we got publicly roasted even if its by other pros if it meant we were someway fired up the next day. Not a hope with this shower though. Downing tools is more unprofessional then slagging off the application of other professionals in my own honest opinion.

While not world class, Deeney is a handy player in his own right. Not a regular scorer but very much a Jon Walters type. A real bruiser. I was hoping he would be eligible for Ireland but it turns out he isnt. We have a good few strikers and Seanie Maguire is coming to the fore but Long cant buy a goal and Walters is currently injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I personally feel that Deeney was just, figuratively, sticking the boot in against more illustrious and better paid players. I really hope the manager and the players themselves use it as a motivational tool.

The attitude should be "no one is going to talk about us like that again".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Looks like that panel are going to be about as effective as the official that stands behind the goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

For me the Deeney thing is just an indicator on how far Arsenal have fallen in the last few years. For an opposition player to come out and speak like that is desperate really and shows that we really are a bit of a laughing stock now. Maybe stuff like this might shake up the players a bit and they might listen to a fellow pro and use it as motivation? God knows they don't give a fcuk what the fans think

keano_afc wrote: »
    Looks like that panel are going to be about as effective as the official that stands behind the goal.

Be interesting to see who's on the panel. I heard Danny Murphy might be so not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

greendom wrote: »
    Be interesting to see who's on the panel. I heard Danny Murphy might be so not good.

Each suspected case will be reviewed by a three-strong panel of one manager, one ex-player and one former referee, selected from

Terry Butcher
    Lee Dixon
    Danny Murphy
    Trevor Sinclair
    Chris Powell and
    Rachel Brown-Finnis
    Alex McLeish
    Nigel Adkins

Eddie Wolstenhome
    Alan Wiley
    Mike Mullarkey
    Steve Dunn
    Keren Barratt.

I just can't see them issuing a retrospective ban unless it was a clear dive with no contact whatsoever. Any incident where a player goes down easily when players touch or go shoulder-to-shoulder will be fine.

greendom wrote: »
    I personally feel that Deeney was just, figuratively, sticking the boot in against more illustrious and better paid players. I really hope the manager and the players themselves use it as a motivational tool.

The attitude should be "no one is going to talk about us like that again".

I wonder do they watch Arsenal t.v.?

I wonder do they watch Arsenal t.v.?

I very much doubt it and would advise anyone against doing so!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I just can't see them issuing a retrospective ban unless it was a clear dive with no contact whatsoever. Any incident where a player goes down easily when players touch or go shoulder-to-shoulder will be fine.

Kinda like the one on Saturday against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Kinda like the one on Saturday against us.
    Yeah it was a clear dive but lets be honest here we got away with one against WBA with Mustafi so we can't really complain about refs decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The Mirror reporting Ozil is moving closer to a January exit, sounds like he'd have gone over the summer if anyone wanted him.

The Mirror reporting Ozil is moving closer to a January exit, sounds like he'd have gone over the summer if anyone wanted him.

I'd say that's exactly it & the fact that this stuff is 'leaking' out makes me wonder have they found a buyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Good riddance. Fantastic talent, just frustratingly lazy and wouldnt finish his dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Good riddance. Fantastic talent, just frustratingly lazy and wouldnt finish his dinner.

I agree, fantastic creative player and I've defended it up until last Saturday. I don't expect him to make a tackle, I really don't as I know he's not that type of player but when the ball is coming out of the air and you ****e yourself because there's a player behind you and lose the ball which leads to their goal it's just totally unacceptable.

On another note, give me Jack's big toe instead of Xhaka.

Jeez you know it's an Arsenal day when the boards thread is way lower than out league position.

Debuchy to start tomorrow https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/920703044538560515

Like a new signing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

SlickRic wrote: »
    tastyt wrote: »
    I do feel for ye at the minute.

I feel for the Arsenal fans who have seen the writing on the wall for years.

They are the ones who have had to watch as Stan Kroenke, Ivan Gazidis, et al suck the life out of the club, because they are not interesting in winning.

I don't feel for fans who have simply settled for what has happened as other teams have pulled ahead, while Arsenal pretty much has more money in its account than anybody else in world football.  There are a shocking amount of fans who believe that Arsenal began with Arsene Wenger.  I've met them.  They do exist.

But the lifelong fans who are at the end of their tether, I feel for them.  Arsenal is the nicest (I don't mean that in a good way) club in England, and the players play like there is no pressure on them at all.  That must be soul destroying, because it's the same pattern every single year.
    And they asking for 5k for  a season ticket off me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Debuchy starting? I’ll definitely watch it now so. Used to love watching him play before his injuries blighted him!

Cech starting, Ospina didn't travel apparently

A lot of the papers predicting the line up to be:

Cech; Holding, Mertesacker, Debuchy; Nelson, Elneny, Willock, Maitland-Niles; Walcott, Wilshere; Giroud

Cech starting, Ospina didn't travel apparently

A lot of the papers predicting the line up to be:

Cech; Holding, Mertesacker, Debuchy; Nelson, Elneny, Willock, Maitland-Niles; Walcott, Wilshere; Giroud

Red Star must be very poor.

I don't think they are quite the Red star of old, but look like they have some handy players. Luka Ilic on loan looks quite dangerous so don't think this will be an easy ride

• Advertisement

Arsenal fans of an older vintage might remember this man Vladimir Petrovic who played for Arsenal in 1983 for a couple of months having started his career with Red Star

gun__1364383728_petrovic4.jpg?itok=HQf3jjF8

Arsenal fans of an older vintage might remember this man Vladimir Petrovic who played for Arsenal in 1983 for a couple of months having started his career with Red Star

gun__1364383728_petrovic4.jpg?itok=HQf3jjF8

I was at his debut against Swansea, only lasted half a Season tho

According to Pires he is angry over the lack of spending in the transfer windows. I don't know if there's anything in that as i don't put much stock in newspaper articles. But if it's the truth then he's not the first to want out for the same reason.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/mesut-ozil-is-so-angry-arsenal-havent-spent-money-to-build-winning-team-says-robert-pires-a3661986.html

According to Pires he is angry over the lack of spending in the transfer windows. I don't know if there's anything in that as i don't put much stock in newspaper articles. But if it's the truth then he's not the first to want out for the same reason.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/mesut-ozil-is-so-angry-arsenal-havent-spent-money-to-build-winning-team-says-robert-pires-a3661986.html

if he could only take his anger out on his opponents now

I don't fully buy that, I'm sure that there is a lot of frustration at the lack of spending, but that doesn't mean you take your foot off the gas on the pitch. He looks to me like a player that just wants out and money is on his agenda. I'd say the fact that he hasn't attracted the attention that Sanchez has is his main source of frustration. significant he sucks his thumb when he scores.......:rolleyes:

I don't fully buy that, I'm sure that there is a lot of frustration at the lack of spending, but that doesn't mean you take your foot off the gas on the pitch. He looks to me like a player that just wants out and money is on his agenda. I'd say the fact that he hasn't attracted the attention that Sanchez has is his main source of frustration. significant he sucks his thumb when he scores.......:rolleyes:
    Me either.
    If you want to be in the shop window then you perform on the field.
    People want to see what they buy.
    I liked Pires but you can't believe everything.

• Advertisement

Me either.
    If you want to be in the shop window then you perform on the field.
    People want to see what they buy.
    I liked Pires but you can't believe everything.

I'd say that the print media most likely have twisted his words. They have a lot of history of it too.

Cech

Holding Elneny Debuchy

Maitland-Niles Willock Coq Nelson

Jack Theo

Giroud

I really want jack to do well tonight. I'd love to see him back as a starter. Unfortunately it'll take a lot for Wenger to start him in a league game though. Good performances don't always equal starts. Mediocrity = starts.

That's some squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Great to see Debuchy back

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement